Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Refresh

Restored by the Fords

Discuss Restored by the Fords Here!

Brother-and-sister Leanne Ford and Steve Ford renovate homes. On HGTV.

Edited by Refresh

This show is in its second season now but I'm only starting to watch it now.

The houses have variety which is nice. So far I've watched Midcentury, 80s, Early 1900s etc. They definitely have a design style which revolves around wood and white with touches of black, which I dig. The construction looks well done.

I like Leanne's personal (clothing) style a lot, I covet her wardrobe.

Edited by Refresh

Glad to see a topic for this show, which is one of the best that HGTV currently has to offer. Leanne's style is so elegant and Steve pulls it off without all the drama of other teams.

I get a little tired of her “everything is black and white”, plus, she’s another one who refuses to install upper cabinets.  I watched an episode Saturday where the kitchen were just lower cabinets along one wall, which made me wonder where the family stored all of their stuff. 

That being said, I love the no drama of the show, and I love the way they interact with each other. 

All the black and white inside the houses was making me twitchy, but then I saw her paint two house exteriors entirely black with no contrasting trim or anything and that was more than I could handle.  It's just so jarring, especially in a leafy green setting.  So depressing and grim, and vaguely haunted house-ish.  I do not understand that aesthetic at all.

I do like that they work with the architecture and historic features of the homes, though.

Edited by izabella
  • Like 1

She’s channeling Diane Keaton from her Annie Hall era. Down to the teeth, the slightly staticy hair style, the glasses and her smile and speech pattern. 

How they get these remodels done for the budgeted amount with all the “surprises” I don’t know. I’ve gotten estimates for similar work that were 50% or more higher. 

She does nice work, but kind of a one trick pony like Joanna Gaines. 

Open shelving.... everything you go to use has to be rinsed off to avoid dust and dead insects. Ugh, 

Edited by iwasish
  • Like 5

Now that I've watched more than 3 episodes, in fact watching everything available (avoiding doing my taxes) I have some thoughts.

- I do like most of the work on anything Mid-century to present. Specifically the 70s and 80s homes. 

- I don't hate the black exteriors because I see how it can accentuate the shapes of the house. That said, it snows in Pittsburgh, they have winters. When that green is gone and it's just bare trees, that's a very dark house. So yes, maybe a pop of color somewhere? The door? The 70s era house with the blended family cried for a pop of color or white on the front door, to me. Just making it gloss black wasn't enough. That black kitchen also seemed really dark. But I loved the living room.

- The Victorian homes I don't really love. Especially the one that has all that beautiful woodwork. To me it those details clash with her look. That said, seems like they don't tend to paint over wood trim unless it's already been painted over. So that's a plus?

- The midcentury with the pool that was in 2 episodes? The black pool seriously creeped me out but maybe it looks different in person.

She's definitely got a look. The houses on the show do seem to have a little more variety than whats is in Waco. I liked Fixer Upper but gutting ranch homes can get boring, on this show what they start with varies a little more.

• Like 1

Something that shocked me about Leanne is that in one house she CHOSE white appliances and in another home she stated they were going to keep the black appliances. Be still, my heart. How are the homeowners ever going to live without stainless steel appliances?!

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

So I like these two but I'm not going to lie, the all white gets a tad boring (and the one eclectic lady's house looked half done because they didn't put very much of her stuff in. Maybe they couldn't, but they could have faked a few art pieces to break up the all white walls) and sometimes Leanne talks like she is tranquilized. And the static-y hair just makes it look like she didn't bother to comb it. But hey, you do you, Leanne. I like Steve, he is laid back and chill without being too clownish (which is fine but Chip Gains cornered that market). Also, he (or someone) got the corners for the crown to match which makes me HUGELY jealous. I just put up crown and all the corners have a ton of putty in them to hide the fact that they just didn't line up right.

• Like 4

I live near the city of Pittsburgh and I wish they would give a small hint as to what neighborhoods they are in! Sometimes I do recognize landmarks, etc. but the screen changes so quickly I still can't tell where the homes are. Other than that, I am a big fan.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PennyPie18 said:

I live near the city of Pittsburgh and I wish they would give a small hint as to what neighborhoods they are in! Sometimes I do recognize landmarks, etc. but the screen changes so quickly I still can't tell where the homes are. Other than that, I am a big fan.

One of the episodes was in Squirrel Hill. I believe it was last season.

I'm a huge fan. Steve reminds me so much of my college boyfriend that I especially enjoy watching him.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:38 PM, iwasish said:

She’s channeling Diane Keaton from her Annie Hall era. Down to the teeth, the slightly staticy hair style, the glasses and her smile and speech pattern. 

How they get these remodels done for the budgeted amount with all the “surprises” I don’t know. I’ve gotten estimates for similar work that were 50% or more higher. 

She does nice work, but kind of a one trick pony like Joanna Gaines. 

Open shelving.... everything you go to use has to be rinsed off to avoid dust and dead insects. Ugh, 

OMG! There was a Woody Allen/Diane Keaton movie on TCM last night. I agree , Leanne really does look, sound, and act like Keaton, especially her voice. They sound almost identical. I wonder if she is trying to deliberately act like Keaton, or if this is how she is in real life??

Leanne and her brother both sound and act like they are on "edibles"  

What is up with the range in the dining area??  If you are cooking pasta you fill the pot 20 feet away and then walk the boiling hot past over to the sink--20 feet away--to drain??   Definitely form over function.