Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Memento Mori

• Start Topic

VISIONS — Macy (Madeleine Mantock) is not able to trust herself due to her memory lapses, so she asks Harry (Rupert Evans) and Charity (guest star Virginia Williams) for help.  Stronger than she thought she was, Macy starts to piece things together and is eager to share her vision with her sisters.  Meanwhile, Mel (Melonie Diaz) and Maggie (Sarah Jeffery) are worried about Macy and turn to an unexpected source for help.  Nick Hargrove also stars. Norman Buckley directed the episode written by Emmylou Diaz (#116).  Original airdate 3/24/2019. 

I was kind of a meh episode. The entire reasoning behind Charity killing Marisol was just weak and all of this lead to her killing multiple Elders just to keep the secret? Just didn't seem that well thought out. And all of a sudden Maggie and Mel can do these fighting moves that they've never shown before? But at least the sisters got to use the "Power of 3" to "defeat" her? I think I prefer the spells rather then energy beams when it comes to Po3 though.

• Love 4

I got distracted by all the wardrobe changes. Maggie's green dress with the super cleavage. For someone on bed rest, Macy wore so many different outfits, but the weirdest was that half wooly sweater and half black "lacy/lacey" (don't know which spelling is correct) see-through top. Also were they using some kind of new camera filter, at first I thought they might be trying to convey that everything we were seeing might be a dream because I don't remember the show looking that way before. Macy's skin did look radiant though. I still don't understand why Charity went on her murder spree and exactly how many witches she ended up killing.

• Love 2

Yeah, this was a dumb episode. Charity randomly killed Marisol. Mel and Maggie randomly had advanced fighting skills. Charity leaving dead Elder in the attic for days instead of ridding the body.

It was just all dumb. And we're only on episode 16 of 22. SIXTEEN! This whole "Who Killed Mom" plot should have lasted longer, but they ignored it for the last 14 episodes before now.

How am I supposed to care about the big reveals when it feels randomly thrown in? How are we supposed to care about any of the plots when they feel so unnecessary?

I mean, luckily I do care about Macy, Mel, Maggie, and Harry. The emotional resonance of the reveal was well done, but everything else was just so....eh. 

Also, the reveal of Fiona to Harry was laughably bad. Harry's reaction was so...nonchalant. I wonder why? Maybe it's because we only got two episodes of Harry's POV about Fiona and then this reveal happened and.....it seems like she was just some charge that he had once upon a time, despite being told early on how important she was to him.

This show does well with the quieter character moments. But when it comes to the big stuff....it sucks. And that's a surprise, since the showrunner also created Jane the Virgin, which usually does better with the bigger reveals. 

• Love 6

Powers in this series dont seem that important, at least not the ones you're born with since appears that by knowing the right spell you can summon things like wind and electricity or whatever you need. I already forgot what Charity's actual inherent power is. Is it the energy whip or the electricity?

• Love 1

This episode is so messy. Basically Charity wanted to stop the Power of Three. Is this the first time the Prophesy  was mentioned in how many episodes? It seems like scenes were cut out of the episode. Why would Charity leave Priyanka's body in the attic? That was stupid.  She killed Marisol because she didn't like her method of securing a set of Charmed Ones.  Plus she wanted to outshine her sister. Eh.  I can't root for a Harry/Macy romance now, since he was laid up with Charity. Ew.  Macy also needs to get rid of that half wool/half lace concoction she was wearing.

I can buy Mel knowing how to fight. Maggie just jumped in with a kick. Hopefully Harry or someone else can teach them proper hand-to-hand combat.

So Alistair now has Charity. At least the remaining Elders should be safe, since the killer was one of them all along. Will they be as useless?

I wish Parker would stop fighting his demon heritage and fully embrace it. Then he can truly be free.  Macy's "darkness" only opened up a stronger power.

I wonder if we are going to get a Sarcana episode?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Charity leaving dead Elder in the attic for days instead of ridding the body

It was to make Macy believe she was behind it and to want to bind her powers.

9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I still don't understand why Charity went on her murder spree and exactly how many witches she ended up killing

She killed Marisol to save the world from the corrupt Charmed Ones and she killed the witches that discovered what she had done.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, JonasArm said:

It was to make Macy believe she was behind it and to want to bind her powers.

I would like to believe this, if it wasn't made clear that Charity's initial plan was to simply erase Macy's memory first and the binding the powers and framing Macy plan was only created as a Plan B, when Macy was starting to remember again. Unless Charity had her Plan B in place until she knew for sure that Macy's memory erase had been successful, then it was just odd. 

1 hour ago, JonasArm said:

She killed Marisol to save the world from the corrupt Charmed Ones and she killed the witches that discovered what she had done.

It would've been nice if Charity had a stronger source of info that lead her to believe that they'd have a evil Charmed One on their hands but of course it's just a "she could be corrupt! We don't know anything about her but she COULD be evil!" 

These Elders are so quick to murder people it is ridiculous. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I would like to believe this, if it wasn't made clear that Charity's initial plan was to simply erase Macy's memory first and the binding the powers and framing Macy plan was only created as a Plan B, when Macy was starting to remember again. Unless Charity had her Plan B in place until she knew for sure that Macy's memory erase had been successful, then it was just odd. 

I'm not sure the framing was only plan B.  I think that was always the intention because Charity has wanted Macy's powers bound since Marisol told her about Macy's resurrection.   Charity wiped Macy's mind both times to prevent her from knowing that Charity killed Elder Bari.  But it stands to reason that Charity also always intended Macy to find the body and assume she was the one who murdered her.  acy believing she was too dangerous to be allowed to use her powers fit with Charity's original fear of corruption of the Charmed Ones.

And I don't recall anything that Charity did during the first memory wipe that indicates that eventually finding Elder Bari's body wasn't part of the plan.  Macy just seemed to have figured out the truth before she got to the part where found the body and assumed she killed the woman.   

Edited by RachelKM

That was the weakest reason ever for Charity to kill Marisol.  And then to murder a whole bunch of other Elders and Priyanka?  If Charity had known all along that Macy had demon blood in her, then she should have taken all sorts of other actions along the way to drain Macy's powers or to sabotage the "Charmed" ones before this episode. 

A shocking "reveal" should make viewers go "Ohhhh... that's why Charity was acting like this all along", not "Huh?"  If Charity cared so much about the greater good, why not just immediately go to the Elders and tell on Marisol?  The Elders could have sent everyone to Tartarus and we never would have needed to watch this show.

I feel like they took the least interesting route with regards to Charity and Fiona (throughout the show, everytime they said Fiona, I kept thinking, who??!).

They can't expect us to care about Harry and Charity when we've seen so little of them together and then suddenly we find out they were sleeping together too as if that makes it so much more heartbreaking. 

Parker's father's ultra-slow-moving plan makes no sense either.  Why didn't he spike Parker's drink earlier than this?  He's waiting for it to be closer to the season finale to finally do something?  

Macy telling Charity about her sister was pretty pointless when the sister just showed up conveniently and randomly immediately after her sister's "fall" from grace.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5

Charity being the killer worked better than I thought it would. I just didn't want her to turn out to be a mustache-twirling villian. And I like that she believes she did the right thing. Villians who think they are good guys are always more interesting to me than 100% Evil bad guys. Yes, her reason for killing the Mom is pretty lame, as is her reason for killing the other Elders, but it's also pretty real. Most murders that happen are because a regular flawed person makes a terrible choice that they thought was the correct choice at the time. And now that Charity has been caught and sentenced to Hell, I can totally buy that she'd go with Parker's Dad. Not because she's now evil, but because she has no other options. I loved the look on the actress's face when she takes his hand. She's not excited or happy; she looks lost and hopeless. Her alliance with him is way more compelling than Phoebe's alliance with Evil Cole. And for the first time, I'm interested in what Charity's going to do next.

I have no idea what's going on with Fiona. Or how she knew to go to the house. Or why she was sent to Hell in the first place. (I know the show told us at some point, I just don't remember what her deal was.) So I have a hard time rooting for her. Maybe next week, she'll be more compelling.

• Love 5

I will give them this, they did at least commit to Charity being the killer, and her having committed other murders to cover up the first one. I mean, her plan was super convoluted and stupid, and Charity clearly sucks at being a criminal. Yes, lets hide the body in the house of the people your trying to hide your crimes from, instead of poofing it out! And then try to attack Macy in the basement of said house where her family could easily find her! Truly a full proof plan, Charity! And I wanted more from her motive beyond "necromancy is bad, one of the Charmed Ones might be evil, so now I have to murder my friend!"

That being said, I do like the idea of Charity as a bad guy who thinks that what she is doing is for the greater good, and the idea of her and Alaister in an alliance is interesting. This feels like a set up episode for later plots which do have some potential. I wish this episode had been better paced and thought out though. 

The reveal of Fiona was pretty lackluster, and raised a lot more questions. Are both of them evil, just in different ways?

• Love 2