Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Switches and Stones

• Start Topic

FREAKY FRIDAY — Maggie (Sarah Jefferey) shows Macy (Madeleine Mantock), Harry (Rupert Evans) and Charity (guest star Virginia Williams) the strange room under Vera Manor but they quickly learn just how dangerous it is when Mel (Melonie Diaz) and Maggie switch bodies and powers.  Macy turns to The Elders for guidance about how to overcome her inner demon, which in turn leads her to have an eye-opening experience.  Meanwhile, Maggie learns the secrets that Mel has been keeping from her sisters.  Nick Hargrove also stars. Claudia Yarmy directed the episode written by George Northy (#115).  Original airdate 3/17/2019 

For the most part I think this was one of the better episodes even though it had the usual rushes (Maggie can now use her empathic powers to switch bodies (yes at first it was due to the secret dungeon but by the end of the episode it didnt seem to be the fact))

The fight that lead up to Mel/Maggie switching bodies seemed a bit out of nowhere as I dont remember Maggie being that concerned about her sisters whereabouts and they just needed a reason to swtich them instead of using a spell.

We finally get to see another Elder who has some cool abilities but by the end they really want us to be anti-Elder don't they? They just do what they want. Calling Mels new ability The Evil Sight? Could you come up with something a little bit more creative?  

I would've padded out this whole Medusa thing at least 2-3 episodes. Maybe even set her as a big bad and trying to bring back her sisters. It was definitely a storyline that could've been expanded upon in a future season but this series likes to use a million storylines upfront. The sisters worked together slightly more AND got to vanquish a bad guy all on their own with no outside help!

And of course we end with Charity as being "evil" and killing Marisol and new Elder lady, cant wait to see what twists they throw at us with this one.

• Love 3

Although I do think this type of episode is a bit too early (I think a body switching episode works better when the characters are better established, so at least season 2), it was still a lot of fun.

I was very impressed with both Melonie Diaz and Sarah Jeffrey with how they impersonated Maggie and Mel respectively. Although I felt like Melonie went a tad bit over the top with how she portrayed Maggie, I also thought that she was quite believable and I do think Melonie nailed Maggie's little quirks, such as the tiny shrug in her shoulders. Same with Sarah, who made me realize that Mel DOES cross her arms a lot. 

Melonie's hand movements as Maggie is trying to freeze for the first time made me crack up, especially Mel's quip about how she tries to not make it obvious...because it's always a bit obvious. 

The more they show the Elders and talk about the Elders, the less I like them and the more certain I am that they can't be redeemed. I do feel like the show is going to go the route where the Sarcana and possibly Jada will actually end up being bad, since everyone keeps talking about how much of a bad influence Jada is and how Mel can't see it....but I'd rather Mel prove everyone wrong about at least Jada. I also feel like they're going to attempt a bait and switch and show that the Elders, although shady, are still better than the Sarcana. At least, that's my fear of this show and I'm not convinced it will work well.

However, at this point in time, I'm still rooting for Jada over any of the Elders. They've set up the Elders as the  antagonists TOO well. So I'm hoping the obvious route they're going with the Elders are Bad message is right.

Ok, I am starting to enjoy Parker more each episode. Him being in on their secret actually has brought on some good moments, like when he was trying to kiss Mel-as-Maggie and Mel shut him down and he realized fairly quickly that it wasn't his girlfriend. 

Sadly, I forgot that Galvin hasn't been around, even when Macy mentioned that she hasn't spoken to him in wees. I assume it's either that Galvin's out of town or that he's been kidnapped or something. Either way, it shows that Galvin is useless to the series and that they haven't found a way to integrate him, even with his own knowledge about the sisters. He can literally disappear for two episodes and it's not important. I'm still hoping they drop Niko and Galvin both after this season and find new characters to bring in, because those two ain't working. Galvin could have worked as an ally to the sisters, but they're insistent on Macy/Galvin being romantic so....if that's the case, I'd rather he left completely to eliminate that romance.

As for the twist with Charity....did she REALLY kill Marisol? Like, damn! Why? Is she working with demons? Was she possessed? Is she actually evil?

I am intrigued by Fiona. I'm not a huge fan of Leah Pipes as an actress, but I'll give her a chance.

• Love 2

I assume it's either that Galvin's out of town or that he's been kidnapped or something. 

Galvin went on some kind of quest to find something that will help Macy rid herself of evil. I can't remember the specifics so take that for what it's worth.

I think the body-switching idea worked better when the original series did it, and that's not saying much because that was a pretty weak episode itself. There was really just too much going on here and that's been a chronic problem with this show. I don't think the Medusa thing worked at all. It didn't even make any sense, there's no way Macy could tell what they toga party guests were looking at when they turned to stone, and the first guy she saw in her dream was definitely looking right at her when he turned to stone.

I was sure Marisol's killer was going to turn out to be Jada when the camera panned down her hand so when it turned out to be Charity that was a nice (?) surprise.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Galvin went on some kind of quest to find something that will help Macy rid herself of evil. I can't remember the specifics so take that for what it's worth.

I think the body-switching idea worked better when the original series did it, and that's not saying much because that was a pretty weak episode itself. There was really just too much going on here and that's been a chronic problem with this show. I don't think the Medusa thing worked at all. It didn't even make any sense, there's no way Macy could tell what they toga party guests were looking at when they turned to stone, and the first guy she saw in her dream was definitely looking right at her when he turned to stone.

I was sure Marisol's killer was going to turn out to be Jada when the camera panned down her hand so when it turned out to be Charity that was a nice (?) surprise.

And so now we are supposed to believe this woman all the sudden will turn good and stop turning people into stone after thousands of years because one witch said she saw her and that made everything ok? hahaha

• Love 1
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It's funny how quickly I forgot that plot point. 

• LOL 1

For a moment I was saying - I kinda like Charity this episode...

Then the end ... that was a shocker!

Loved how they switched bodies - the actresses looked awesome in each others "costumes", so fun!

• Love 4

Still waiting for Macy & Harry to get it on 😉

Didn't Macy look kinda jealous in one scene with her, Charity and Harry? She walked away a bit, left them standing there very close to another.

• Love 2

And so now we are supposed to believe this woman all the sudden will turn good and stop turning people into stone after thousands of years because one witch said she saw her and that made everything ok? 

Actually I think they vanquished her. She turned to stone and then to dust. Once she was finally "seen" it satisfied whatever curse she was under and she was free to move on. That was my read on it anyway. 

• Love 2

I liked the way that Macy handled the monster this week. Especially if we are supposed to feel pity for Macy having some demon blood in her and the Elders trying to find a lenient solution. I would be all for more peaceful resolution of conflicts and more thought applied to the solutions for getting rid of monsters, including like they hinted at in the beginning, applying a little science to the solution.

• Love 5

Is someone at the CW just going through a Greek mythology phase or something, because both this show and Legacies did Medusa episodes! Really different takes on it, but its kind of funny that they both happened so soon after each other. 

So did Charity actually do it? How evil are the Elders? I really cant tell where its going with them, they seem to be set up as the villains, but it almost seems too obvious now. Maybe the Sarcana are bad too, and its an evil vs. evil scenario? I hope they arent evil though, I like Jada. I kind of keep waiting for them to show a side where they go too far, like vigilante killing, and that freaks Mel out or something. I gotta say, I didnt see the Charity reveal coming at all. Man, that sucks for Harry if they still have a thing kind of going. 

I actually like Parker a lot more being in on everything and helping out when he can, and having him interact more with the rest of the cast. It makes him a much more likable character who has more of a purpose on the show. If only they could find stuff for Galvin to do, if they insist on keeping him around. I honestly forget he wasnt even in the episode until I got here, and he and Macy are supposed to be dating! 

Its a bit early for a body switch episode, but it was fun none the less, and the actresses both did great doing the others body languages and quirks, like Mel crossing her arms all the time and Maggie and her little shrugs. It was cute and fun and you can tell they were having fun with it. My favorite was Maggie's attempts at freezing and her little hand flips. 

They super commit to the toga party theme, its really pretty impressive. Their party planning committee is really going above and beyond! Snaps for you guys!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So did Charity actually do it? How evil are the Elders? I really cant tell where its going with them, they seem to be set up as the villains, but it almost seems too obvious now. Maybe the Sarcana are bad too, and its an evil vs. evil scenario? I hope they arent evil though, I like Jada. I kind of keep waiting for them to show a side where they go too far, like vigilante killing, and that freaks Mel out or something. I gotta say, I didnt see the Charity reveal coming at all. Man, that sucks for Harry if they still have a thing kind of going. 

I think it's a trick. Either the sister freed from Tartarus is a shapeshifter who is either framing Charity because she's EVIL or because she believes that the Charmed Ones' Mom was to blame for the rift between sisters and took revenge. (She did have that line to Maggie about not letting anyone come between her and her sisters.) I just think it's too early for the sisters to be betrayed again and also I really don't want the Elders to be evil, especially now that they're just powerful witches who look out for each other.

• Love 3

Marseille was killed before she was freed and honestly I would hate if they took this back now  and blamed it on a maybe demon .

I hope charity isn’t  possessed just let her be a witch who made wrong choices and become  evil through them that’s more impactful imo . Also it allways being a demon is a lazy path to take imo let’s explore evil that can come from both sides . As well as good 

Edited by Scousersal
5 hours ago, Scousersal said:

I hope charity isn’t  possessed

Pretty sure that's going to be the case as after Charity killed Marisol, she looked at herself in the mirror and said, "What have I done?" (or something along those lines), indicating that she probably wasn't in control of her body.  Maybe the real Charity is trapped in the mirror somehow and a demon's been walking around in her body?

Did anyone watch the show Blood Ties that was on about ten years ago?  They had a Medusa episode on there that was basically the same plot.  Medusa turning a bunch of dudes into stone because they were sharing sex tapes online of unaware girls.  

I was actually beginning to like Charity in this episode and starting to see some value to her character (especially with the estranged sister), and then this "twist", which I don't think I like.  

The body switch had its moments.  Though you'd think Mel would have given Jada the heads-up right away.  I do appreciate that Mel didn't keep the secret for multiple weeks and it was out in the open so quickly.

• Love 1
On 3/19/2019 at 5:12 PM, Snapdragon said:

Pretty sure that's going to be the case as after Charity killed Marisol, she looked at herself in the mirror and said, "What have I done?" (or something along those lines), indicating that she probably wasn't in control of her body.  Maybe the real Charity is trapped in the mirror somehow and a demon's been walking around in her body? 

Yeah I’m with you. I think we’re meant to think it was Charity, but it’s either someone shaped like her or she’s possessed. Don’t forget, Parker’s dad was able to mind control her and leave her with no memory if it with no difficulty.

I think what made the Charity killing the elder reveal at the end so surprising is that they must have directed interesting Elder lady to act suspicious the whole episode. When Macy saw the memory, I figured it had been implanted there to frame Charity, especially after the out of nowhere “you must have gotten premonitions power from your mom” and shooting the thing at Macy’s head.

The show really feels like they are not optimistic how many episodes they are gonna get, so it’s possible the reveal of Charity being the killer this early was real, but I doubt it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:30 AM, tennisgurl said:

Is someone at the CW just going through a Greek mythology phase or something, because both this show and Legacies did Medusa episodes! Really different takes on it, but its kind of funny that they both happened so soon after each other. 

Supernatural did one too. They all seemed to take place within the same week. It was strange. 

• Love 2