Type keyword(s) to search

Show Format: Irritations and Fresh Ideas

dccfangirl
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

One of the features I didn't really get was the healthy cooking challenge from season 14. I liked the guy on it and seeing a few girls thrive but what did it have to do with the show? An awesome opportunity for the girls but did it really need to be filmed for us to see?

Given their emphasis on being in shape, the healthy eating challenge is very pertinent to the show (and a big improvement over some of the "nutritionists," etc. they've had in the past (i.e., "carbonation causes cellulite"). Just like media training, the segment where they learn proper table etiquette, etc., it's needed training if they don't already know it to help ensure a healthy, in shape team.

I think the reason they came up & filmed a healthy cooking "competition," was because they were promoting the guy's cookbook -- wasn't he a Cowboy player?

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

Agree on all of this. I'm a big fan of most of the guest choreographers (I'm a fan of dance in general), it just feels like one per show, sometimes more (apart from the first and last show usually) is a bit too much. I'd be interested to see a list of who/how many per season there have been so far. 

I'm always intrigued by their opinions, especially when they discuss who stood out in their choreo and then in DCC style. I don't think I've really disliked any of them that I can think of. 

One of the features I didn't really get was the healthy cooking challenge from season 14. I liked the guy on it and seeing a few girls thrive but what did it have to do with the show? An awesome opportunity for the girls but did it really need to be filmed for us to see?

I think I'd like to see more appearances. When the rookies visit hospitals or retirement homes, that's a lot of what they'll be doing during the season. All the girls seem relaxed and genuine in these situations and we'd be able to find out more about their personalities. 

I think the main problem has always been they find a feature that the audience seems to respond to and then they go overboard. We don't mind guest choreographers, special guests, alum visits, fitness tests, media days etc but they seem to add them all in together and then that takes away from the dancing and getting to know the girls. It needs to be more of a balance. 

ITA. That healthy cooking challenge segment also was remarkably and unnecessarily loooong! To your point about cramming in too many guests into the episodes, one thing I did not like this year was how little we got to hear from some guest choreographers (we saw zero roundtable feedback from Evan or the kick coach after their visits, for example), and I felt like that was because they were trying to fit too much into those episodes. Conversely, the episode that featured Denise's 3-night visit was one of my favorites this season because we got to see so much dancing and there weren't lots of other distractions in the episode.  

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Nunyabiznis said:

So many other shows have two hour episodes now, I hope that becomes a thing for this show on the new platform.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.  The cost to produce a two hour show would most likely be too prohibitive.

• Useful 2

Over the past few years, it seems that the decision to renew was taken on an annual basis and not too long before the actual filming started. That to me, shows a reluctance from (possibly) CMT to commit to the show. It could very well be, that the recent scandals were the final straw for the network to not renew the show. 

Like it or not, but our society is changing at the speed of light. Things that were fine only 5-10 years ago, are now deemed inappropriate or heartless.  The show often balanced on a very thin edge between entertainment and cruelty. Take Hannah and Lily's cruel cuts, Meghan's notorious "thud" and the uncountable times they were fat-shaming those girls because they had wiggly tummies or had gained 2 pounds and were no longer a size 2... We, on this board, are already very aware of the fact that the DCC are not leading the fairytale life they claim. It's hard work, little pay within a highly men-controlled company who mainly focus on how they look.

So, I'm guessing that MTT's cut was at least partial due to scandals past (Jerry Jones, Erica W, this year's pay out) and for fears of further scandals, public outcry for cruelty or racism or claims from former cheerleaders because of how they were treated. To me, it really sounds like CMT wanting to end this while still being on a high and before more bad things come out.

Edited by LilyD
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, LilyD said:

Over the past few years, it seems that the decision to renew was taken on an annual basis and not too long before the actual filming started. That to me, shows a reluctance from (possibly) CMT to commit to the show. It could very well be, that the recent scandals were the final straw for the network to not renew the show. 

Like it or not, but our society is changing at the speed of light. Things that were fine only 5-10 years ago, are now deemed inappropriate or heartless.  The show often balanced on a very thin edge between entertainment and cruelty. Take Hannah and Lily's cruel cuts, Meghan's notorious "thud" and the uncountable times they were fat-shaming those girls because they had wiggly tummies or had gained 2 pounds and were no longer a size 2... We, on this board, are already very aware of the fact that the DCC are not leading the fairytale life they claim. It's hard work, little pay within a highly men-controlled company who mainly focus on how they look.

So, I'm guessing that MTT's cut was at least partial due to scandals past (Jerry Jones, Erica W, this year's pay out) and for fears of further scandals, public outcry for cruelty or racism or claims from former cheerleaders because of how they were treated. To me, it really sounds like CMT wanting to end this while still being on a high and before more bad things come out.

Completely agree. It is a big risk for CMT

• Love 7

But wasn’t the show the highest rated show on CMT? My guess is that the Cowboys wanted more money, especially in light of the success of Cheer, and CMT couldn’t meet their demands. 

• Love 4

I still can't get my head around them cutting brennan and hannah, that was pretty ruthless especially when both of them seemed really sweet girls. 

1 minute ago, corrieb90 said:

I still can't get my head around them cutting brennan and hannah, that was pretty ruthless especially when both of them seemed really sweet girls. 

I forgot lily too!

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, corrieb90 said:

I forgot lily too!

I love Lily but she is no more safe on dbc squad then dcc 

Edited by Holly85
  • Useful 1

On a completely unrelated note, I missed out on getting the dcc hoodies that they used to sell on the Dallas Cowboys website.  :-( does anyone know how to get one? They always ran out of my size or sold out fast!

• Love 2

I didn’t mind the healthy eating segment as such, because that’s fairly pertinent to their lifestyle. 
I didn’t enjoy the Star segments in the later seasons, like when they went down to the fitness facilities (I’m thinking season 13 onwards?) and it just all seemed so contrived. 

Same with the etiquette training - I really don’t care how they eat French onion soup. Although it did cement my position as a Lauren fan girl when she was stuffing bread 😂

I wanted to like the Jay segments but watching him encourage the girls to do sit ups with completely the wrong technique - faster is not the right technique - really annoyed me. I’m amazed they didn’t do themselves an injury they were up and down so fast. That’s not correct. 

• Love 6
On 4/11/2022 at 11:55 PM, FLAfan said:

If the DCC don’t find another platform for the show I wonder if that will cause VK to not return??

VK will stay no matter what.  She has a lot of Dallas pride and has been wanting to be a DCC all her life.  Don’t know about others on the squad as they are not as invested.   My opinion is VK would benefit from having more privacy.  I do hope the show continues on another platform because I enjoy watching the process.  But could see many reasons why someone like VK wouldn’t mind if it wasn’t filmed.  

Edited by GonnahearmeRoar
  • Love 3

I'm confused.

The Youtube channel posted a new video. I thought this Youtube channel was managed by CMT MTT and not the DCC social media team. So why is there a new post if the show is canceled? I guess CMT is posting this because they want people to watch the old seasons?

• Love 1

I think what the Jezebel points to is that DCCorg always seemed to view the show as complimentary of DCC and tried to control the girls to make the organization look perfect and aspirational. 

It was actually a pretty tough indictment of the organization. Which was highly enjoyable for the viewer. They would defend eg weight shaming the cheerleaders but we could all see that it was really bad behaviour. 

It was my favourite reality show because it was "real" - despite the scripting, this was genuinely women either getting fired or landing their dream job.

I think it's been a really under utilized asset so hopefully this is an opportunity to show more rather than less of the cheerleaders' lives. I also would have thought that the success of "get ready with me" and "a day in the life" content would allow a year-round approach rather than just TC.

• Love 3
On 4/14/2022 at 4:59 PM, GonnahearmeRoar said:

VK will stay no matter what.  She has a lot of Dallas pride and has been wanting to be a DCC all her life.  Don’t know about others on the squad as they are not as invested.   My opinion is VK would benefit from having more privacy.  I do hope the show continues on another platform because I enjoy watching the process.  But could see many reasons why someone like VK wouldn’t mind if it wasn’t filmed.  

What else does VK do?  Is she in school, or has she been raised to be a lifetime DCC, and that’s all there is to her?  I would hope got some besties out of her time with DCC!

4 hours ago, Blue hues said:

What else does VK do?  Is she in school, or has she been raised to be a lifetime DCC, and that’s all there is to her?  I would hope got some besties out of her time with DCC!

That lack of team friendship issue is a mystery to me.  VK seems to be keeping her life outside of DCC pretty private. Hopefully she is in school and not just modeling clothes. 

• Love 8
On 4/27/2022 at 1:07 AM, Kamal said:

I'm confused.

The Youtube channel posted a new video. I thought this Youtube channel was managed by CMT MTT and not the DCC social media team. So why is there a new post if the show is canceled? I guess CMT is posting this because they want people to watch the old seasons?

My guess is money. These videos are a super easy way for them to generate money on youtube with content that has already been produced. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/27/2022 at 12:07 AM, Kamal said:

I'm confused.

It was nice that they showed Nadia Marcella even though she didn't make it. 

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 4