Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: calaMity

Bort

When one of the Inner Circle goes missing, Reeva intensifies security in their compound, but realizes that her plans may have already been exposed. Furious and paranoid, Reeva resorts to violence. Caitlin and Reed consider using the serum to restrict Lauren's use of her powers, hoping it will help her as she wrestles with nightmares about the Inner Circle and her ancestors. And it's the battle of two extreme ideologies when the Morlocks and the Purifiers come face-to-face in battle.

Airdate: Tuesday, February 12, 2019

*sigh*

I was poking around online today, and I read a headline about The Gifted. Apparently, if there's to be a third season, it would be on a subscription service. I use cable TV, and I've never gotten into that sort of thing, meaning that I wouldn't be able to watch The Gifted, wouldn't be compelled to care. And after "calaMity," I ask: is that a bad thing?

I'm not butthurt Clarice was killed. I'm not a great judge of acting, but I like Jamie Chung. I don't have to even as someone who watched her on reality TV, but she seemed chill. That said, that scene and the stuff leading into it was painful.

Clarice: Okay, I gotta get all the Morlocks to safety! Then I'll reunite with John and sort things out!

Erg: SHOOT AT ME, YOU COWARDS!!! AT ME!!!!

Jace: My IQ hovers around 50, and my buddies here probably wouldn't be able to find work at a Walmart . . . but we're not dumb enough to shoot at the guy who can take bullets and fry people with his eyeblast!!

Remaining Morlocks: [get killed]

Clarice: This is a losing battle! We have to get out!!

Erg: The situation overrides my stubbornness! Wait, let me pick up this child . . .

Child: My teddy bear!!

Clarice: Okay, one last portal. Move! [Erg and Child pass through to the surface] Hey, John! It's been a hell of a day, and all these vultures with knives and forks have been following me all episode, but everything is gonna be okay!!

Random Purifier: They're gone!! Wait, I see one more!

Jace: Is it Eyebeam Guy?

Random Purifier: No, just the actress from movies like Sucker Punch and Sorority Row.

Jace: FIRE!!!

Clarice: Looks like the only dead regular tonight is Sage! I'm saf- [taking bullets into her back, falling in slow motion as "Hide and Seek" (aka "The Whatcha Say" Song) plays]

John: NOOOOOO!!!!! Once again, I developed no secondary mutation to see obvious shit coming! FUCK!!!

Jace: Okay, guys, looks like we made homo sapiens a little safer tonight! [picks up teddy bear, which has an "M" marked over one of its eyes]

Teddy Bear: Seriously, you suck.

Oh, and Sage apparently gets killed because Lorna used intermediate magnetism to hack her system, and the Cuckoos had no way to read her. "You said your system was 98 percent foolproof. Based on the main terrorist guy getting killed, I'm going to assume you're the traitor." Yeah, that sounds about right.

Anybody else laugh at Lauren screaming German in her sleep, and Caitlin noting that wasn't an actual symptom from the serum?

This show, man. This show.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/12/2019 at 9:45 PM, Lantern7 said:

I was poking around online today, and I read a headline about The Gifted. Apparently, if there's to be a third season, it would be on a subscription service. I use cable TV, and I've never gotten into that sort of thing, meaning that I wouldn't be able to watch The Gifted, wouldn't be compelled to care. And after "calaMity," I ask: is that a bad thing?

If gets picked up for a 3rd season, it'll likely go to Hulu or maybe Disney,+ because Disney will own 60% of Hulu after the Fox acquisition. There still rumors that AT&T might sell their 10% stake.

I feel like it's doubtful because the ratings aren't that great and it isn't really beloved by critics either. Many fans are ambivalent at best about the show.

This show is needlessly complicated and I watch plenty of complex and complicated shows. They've created all of these various groups with similar and contrasting agendas, but neglected to really explain why certain groups either split or won't work together. Is the Inner Circle's use of violence and willingness to kill the only the only thing that prevents the Morlocks and the Underground from working with the Inner Circle? Also what is Reeva's grand plan? Deliberately keeping it from the audience isn't good storytelling when we've had a whole episode devoted to her point of view. We've had episodes devoted to Esme's POV. And Jace's. So for the show to act like it's ok to keep things from the audience just because Lorna, Marcos, and the Struckers have no clue about what's going on is weak bullshit.

Part of the problem is that the show's writing and plotting is terrible and mainly to support a handful of characters. Reeva and the Cuckoos have to do an abysmal job investigating the death, instead of reaching the far more logical conclusion that what's his face got killed because he was a high profile escaped mutant terrorist who showed up at the same liquor store every night at the same time and was probably spotted, so that Sage can die and Lorna would feel guilty.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:45 PM, Lantern7 said:

Anybody else laugh at Lauren screaming German in her sleep, and Caitlin noting that wasn't an actual symptom from the serum?

This is not a thing! Speaking German. Not a side effect. Additionally, I don't think one can encode German into a DNA sequence. If you could, I'm pretty sure the Boys from Brazil would love to take a look at those academic studies. What's happening with the Struckers and the music box and weird German thing is magic. To quote Lucy Lawless, "a wizard did it."

It will take the mutant version of the My Lai massacre before Jace realizes he's screwed up.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3

You don't get to be all sad since you saw a teddy bear, Jace.  He knew it would be a mutant massacre, he's taken part in them before, he no doubt knew there would be children with the Morlocks, and now, he's sad and might regret his actions?  Screw that.  Hell, not long ago he helped to cover up the murder of an unarmed mutant teenager in that orphanage.

Maybe Caitlin should be the leader of the Mutant Underground, since she's seemingly the only one that can consistently get shit done, and have wins.

• Love 6

Yes Jace, YOU ARE CLEARLY THE BAD GUY IN THIS SCENARIO! He already covered up his buddy murdering a teenager like a week ago, after that black teenager asked him why a black person is running around with KKK 2.0, you went into a place to murder people whos crime is living in the sewers, and you were just torturing a guy. At what point do you just need to acknowledge that your the asshole? Does he actually need to shoot a little girl who looks like his dead daughter to get its through his thick, piece of shit head? "A teddy bear? I thought my attempted massacre was totally a good thing, but getting a teddy bear involved? I've gone too far!" Cant wait to watch him look conflicted and make some half assed "this might be crossing a line..." comment before he murders more innocent people. What a fucking tool. 

Poor Clarice. I hope they didnt really kill her off, I like her a lot, even when some of her choices dont make much sense. 

Damn, Caitlin aint messing around!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

Well, the minute John said Next time, call me! I was like, Clarice... you in danger girl...

You know what I hate the most, you just know that show is setting up Jace to have a come to Jesus... the humans were the monsters all along... by season's end, and I just hope if that happens, it is while someone is putting him out of his misery...

• Love 2

All during the first season I was waiting for Jace to see the light and now I just hate the sight of him.  Any episode he is in is sure to be an orgy of over the top violence. On this show, that's saying a lot. 

Poor Clarice indeed.  I'm not sure what that swirl of purple was, though. Was it her body disintegrating?

Is Esme protecting Lorna?  

• Love 2

Hmmm... went to watch the episode last night and I realised that for some reason my DVR did not record it.  I wonder if this is a sign...

Will go to watch online but in reading comments here, I am thrilled to read that Clarice bit it.  I think Jamie Chung is a thoroughly awful actress, she makes everything she appears in that much worse for stinking it up with her "acting".  Hope the character is actually gone.

• Love 1

OK, saw it online.  I actually enjoyed this episode because of all of the action.  I get that the fight was in the tunnels but why did it have to be so dark?  I couldn't even tell what was going on a lot of the times.  As far as I can tell, only three Morlocks actually used their powers, right?  Erg, the wind guy who pulled two Purifiers into the ceiling, and the Membrane guy who produced crystal ball slime.  I didn't see any other powers.  What were the powers of the blond guy who bit it, I think his name was Mason?  

I'm not going to miss Jamie Chung but I do think it was really stupid the way she died.  In previous scenes we saw her opening and closing her portal very quickly (like in the alley when John tried to follow her).  Her mastery of her power clearly came a long way since her "I can't!  I can't!!!" days.  How come then she had to wait so long to hold the portal open for Erg and Teddy Bear Girl and then had to just stand there forever just so she could eat bullets?

I'm also surprised they killed Sage.  What is stupid about the whole thing is that the Frosts are TELEPATHS.  If Reeva suspected that there was a traitor, why couldn't the Frosts have picked up on the guilty thoughts running through Lorna's mind?  In comics I know Jean Grey has said more than once that it's harder to keep people's random thoughts OUT of her mind rather than trying to listen to someone.  Or if they didn't pick up on the thoughts passively, why not just subject everyone one by one to a scan, like a mental strip search?  I know they explained that Sage's mind was unreadable but I hardly think Lorna's was, without the Magneto helmet.  Who is going to be the Inner Circle's tech person now?

I find myself thoroughly not caring what happens to any of the Struckers.

On 2/13/2019 at 8:00 PM, CyberJawa1986 said:

Well, the minute John said Next time, call me! I was like, Clarice... you in danger girl...

You know what I hate the most, you just know that show is setting up Jace to have a come to Jesus... the humans were the monsters all along... by season's end, and I just hope if that happens, it is while someone is putting him out of his misery...

Ugh... I agree, it seems like there is going to be a "Redemption of Jace" moment.  It shouldn't happen.  Jace needs to die before the season's end.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

How come then she had to wait so long to hold the portal open for Erg and Teddy Bear Girl and then had to just stand there forever just so she could eat bullets?

To be fair Blink had been making portals all day. John should have jumped through the portal and shielded Blink with his bulletproof body.

• Love 4
On 2/15/2019 at 2:25 PM, blackwing said:

As far as I can tell, only three Morlocks actually used their powers, right?  Erg, the wind guy who pulled two Purifiers into the ceiling, and the Membrane guy who produced crystal ball slime.  I didn't see any other powers.  What were the powers of the blond guy who bit it, I think his name was Mason?  

That confused me too.  They had the team in the tunnel, all who had guns.  They kept all these Morlocks back because they had fighting powers yet none of them were using them? 

On 2/15/2019 at 3:39 PM, AnimeMania said:

To be fair Blink had been making portals all day. John should have jumped through the portal and shielded Blink with his bulletproof body.

I was screaming at the TV he should grab her and pull her through, but I like Blink so I'm a little unhappy she's dead probably. 

On 2/15/2019 at 2:25 PM, blackwing said:

What is stupid about the whole thing is that the Frosts are TELEPATHS.  If Reeva suspected that there was a traitor, why couldn't the Frosts have picked up on the guilty thoughts running through Lorna's mind?

Exactly! That confused me too. It isn't like Lorna has been going around NOT being shifty and guilty. 

6 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Exactly! That confused me too. It isn't like Lorna has been going around NOT being shifty and guilty. 

The writing has studiously avoided the Frosts checking out Lorna, which is why I keep coming back to Esme deliberately avoiding it to protect Lorna. Though if true, them letting Sage die is pretty brutal.

• Love 2
On 2/18/2019 at 8:46 AM, joanne3482 said:

That confused me too.  They had the team in the tunnel, all who had guns.  They kept all these Morlocks back because they had fighting powers yet none of them were using them? 

Translation... they spent all of the special effects money for this episode on creating Clarice's pretty purple portals.  I was convinced that the blonde guy was going to have super strength or invulnerability, but he just stood there and died at the doorway without ever revealing to us what his gift was.  So stupid.  The other thing that I don't know why nobody else thought of was why didn't Clarice take Marcos and John into the tunnels with her so they could help fight.  So stupid that they couldn't fight because they had to drive a car.  Lauren, Caitlin and Reed could have driven the car along with any number of the rescued mutants.

I read the article on EW that suggests that Blink may not have died... she just fell into some sort of portal between worlds or something like that.  Hmmm.  I am assuming this means she comes back.  Ugh.  If she comes back, I hope it's the battle hardened, awesome Fan Bingbing version from the movies.  I hear she has tax problems so it seems she needs the work!

Another thought occurred to me is that perhaps Sage isn't dead either.  We saw her getting sonic screamed but we were only told by Andy (who didn't see it first hand) that she was dead.  

• Love 1
On 2/18/2019 at 4:51 PM, tessaray said:

The writing has studiously avoided the Frosts checking out Lorna, which is why I keep coming back to Esme deliberately avoiding it to protect Lorna. Though if true, them letting Sage die is pretty brutal.

And my feeling is hahaha Sage that's what u get. Hope Jace dies though hes awful.

On 2/19/2019 at 12:55 PM, blackwing said:

I read the article on EW that suggests that Blink may not have died... she just fell into some sort of portal between worlds or something like that.  Hmmm.  I am assuming this means she comes back.  Ugh.  If she comes back, I hope it's the battle hardened, awesome Fan Bingbing version from the movies.  I hear she has tax problems so it seems she needs the work!

First of all, Clarice took a lot of bullets. I just assumed she fell backwards, and the Purifiers kept pumping rounds into her . . . you know, "just in case." And how much screentime did Bingbing have in Days of Future Past?

On 2/15/2019 at 4:39 PM, AnimeMania said:

Maybe his body was still recovering from getting buckshot fired into him at point-blank range by Jace's stupid ass.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Maybe his body was still recovering from getting buckshot fired into him at point-blank range by Jace's stupid ass.

What is worst, getting shot up by Jace (again 😁) or seeing Blink's mug everywhere you look.