Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: The Book of Secrets, Chapter Three: Pillar Of Fire

• Start Topic

I knew Jefferson was going to back Lowry. He's got too much on his plate right now. Besides, late-night board deals are not his style.

Meanwhile, two weeks ago:

On 1/28/2019 at 9:04 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Tobias has quite the little team going. I imagine he'll kill one of them soon.

Called it.

• Love 4

So, that was Todd in the car that blew up?  Kind of a random way to go, and the fact we didn't even see him in this episode gave of the vibe that R.J. Cyler wasn't available anymore, and they needed the character out of the way quickly.

Still love the Gambi and Anissa relationship, and being all helpful with finding out what went down with Grace and not at anytime, saying "You know, taking out of context, you kind of are coming off a bit obsessive!'  That's Jennifer's job, apparently!

Was Riker trapping Lynn suppose to be her way of protecting her?

The agency really needs to learn that there are times when you really do need to shoot first and ask questions later.  Bill Duke needs to get them in line!

Figured Jefferson would end up backing Lowry instead and I can see his reasons, but I wonder if there was an option to simply find someone else, since I'm still unsure if Lowry will actually workout.

Cool that Robert Townsend also directed this episode, along with showing back up on screen.

• Love 4

I was bothered by Gambi suggesting that Grace having been trafficked as a child made her somehow maybe too shady for Anissa to want to find. To me, it would not make Grace look shady. It would make her look like someone who had a terribly hard life and really could be in trouble and have no one to turn to, plus no wonder she has a hard time trusting and opening up!

It's one thing to have a past where you did terrible things. It's another to have a past where terrible things were done unto you.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Was Riker trapping Lynn suppose to be her way of protecting her?

Or a way to protect herself. Riker didn't want Tobias to get his hands on another expert in the pod kids, he might not need her any more.

Everybody on the Black Lightning team knows where Tobias lives except for Jennifer. Jennifer almost got herself killed for nothing.

Seriously?? They killed off Todd so soon? He was so useful, and loyal! And the actor wasn't even in this episode - weird. This show really has a problem with keeping interesting villains around. I still miss Lady Eve.

Tobias + Cutter -- yuuckk. First off, Tobias is horrible (and you know this!); and number 2, girl, you are awesome and can do so much better!

This pod kids arc this season has been mostly a letdown. At least Lynn saved one. Yay?

Jefferson suddenly getting the chance to be principal again seemed too good to be true, so I'm glad he didn't take the job back. Although, I do want to see him restored at some point.

Jen, no. You're supposed to be smarter than that. But I'm still invested in her hero arc, though.

• Love 1

As justified as it may be... Jen needs to chill out... From running off to going out and either almost getting killed or killing someone she's pushing it... And for someone so level headed everywhere else.. Tho she's got some mean in her that I don't see in the rest of the clan.. She was brutally honest when her mom had lost all those pod kids and she was ice cold to anissa about grace.. I mean she stated facts but there was a lack of tact there... Could be the rage that perenna was talking about... Something ima keep my eye on... I think when gsmbi was bringing up Grace's backstory.. I don't believe it was to make Grace shady as much as he's looking at his niece falling hard for a woman who's obviously got some secrets and issues because of her life and he wants her to be careful... Poor shakedown he looks like he will be an unwilling soldier for quite some time... Surprised by Cutter taking out Todd... If that's what really happened.. But maybe she's got her own plans and is trying to isolate Tobias.. This show has been real good at not keeping secrets too long so I really hope the Grace reveal happens sooner than later... Finally what happens to the pod girl now?...  She's healthy and 25 years into the future I'm guessing with no real fam

• Love 1

Forgot to mention: it was weird to get all that info about Grace when she wasn't even in the episode. And why tragic backstory? Is that from the comic character?

And I checked the listings, and I just realized that there are only 3 episodes left for the season! That's a lot of loose ends to tie up; especially since I don't think they've even finished tying up stuff from the first season. I assume they will be some cliffhangers and some of the stories will continue into season 3, but I wish this show was better about having a definite end to storylines.

I think that Riker might have been trying to protect Lynn by locking her in the room. In her own weird way, I think she likes and respects Lynn, and enjoys working with her. Earlier in the episode, she was clearly disappointed that Lynn wasnt around to do experiments with her, I think she enjoys being around someone she considers on her intellectual level, even if Lynn clearly hates her. 

Oh Jenn. Literally everyone knows where Tobias lives, the guy is probably checking himself in on Instagram on the daily these days, your revenge plot clearly needs to be thought out a bit more. 

Thats a whole lot of backstory for Grace, in an episode she wasnt even in! I can kind of get why Gambi asked if Anissa wanted to keep looking for her, and that maybe its best to leave her be. She is clearly good at hiding and has gone through a LOT of awful stuff, so if she took off, we can assume she had her reasons, especially as Anissa has a history of ghosting her girlfriends. I like Grace and Anissa, but I feel like we still dont know them very well as a couple yet, but I am interested to see what Graces deal is. Maybe she was experimented on after she was kidnapped?

Couldn't Jefferson at least find them a new, better principle, even if he cant do it? Its for the best, with everything going on, that he isnt in charge, but Lowrey is The Worst and clearly hates these students and this school, he cant be good at this job. 

Some fun banter this episode, especially in the Gambi Cave. "Not saying your old Jeff...just less young"

• Love 2
On 2/11/2019 at 8:25 PM, thuganomics85 said:

So, that was Todd in the car that blew up?  Kind of a random way to go, and the fact we didn't even see him in this episode gave of the vibe that R.J. Cyler wasn't available anymore, and they needed the character out of the way quickly.

I ust saw that he's in the current season of Sceam, so that night be limiting his time.

I was kind of meh on the first half of this season, but it has really picked up since the break. Also, Krondon's acting has improved by leaps and bounds over these two seasons. He steals every scene he's in now, and just fills the screen with so much energy.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 1
On 2/11/2019 at 10:25 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Figured Jefferson would end up backing Lowry instead and I can see his reasons, but I wonder if there was an option to simply find someone else, since I'm still unsure if Lowry will actually workout.

On 2/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, tennisgurl said:

Couldn't Jefferson at least find them a new, better principle, even if he cant do it? Its for the best, with everything going on, that he isnt in charge, but Lowrey is The Worst and clearly hates these students and this school, he cant be good at this job.

The School Board simply not getting another Principal for Garfield, that much I buy. Considering what a hellhole Freeland is not to mention the widely publicized PR and literal disasters at the school I highly doubt there's a Principal or potential Principal on the planet willing to take the job. That, and promoting a current teacher of Garfield to the position would probably be pointless since they all back Jefferson, making him the de facto Principal anyway.

I was fine with Jefferson deferring on taking back his job but I wanted him to say something like: "I know what it's like for a principal to be judged by the pubic perception of a single incident.   While his acts were worse than my supposed responsibility not somehow stopping a super-powered battle inside the school, I wouldn't want the Board to repeat with Lowry its mistake with me.  His policies should be given a full term to see if they fail or succeed.  I may be open to considering the position next year."

As for the computer hacker, we didn't see his face on a corpse so I don't think he's dead.  I wouldn't be surprised if he discovered the bomb plot beforehand.