Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Kimmy Is in a Love Square!

Holy shit, they really got Ronan Farrow to do this show. That's my dude right there!

As we've talked about before, this show kind of has to do something with #MeToo given its premise, and I wonder if the puppet thing is the only way they could think of to do it where they can still address a serious problem but not let the show lose its levity. Taking on extremely dark subject matter in a bright, cheery way has always been the MO for UKS. I'm curious where the endgame is.

I did love Mikey's callback to Pupazza when he said he was one quarter marionette.

Poor Kimmy never got to have doting parents. I liked the absurdity of making their "affair" feel like a real sexual affair.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Wonder how they were allowed to actually use the name Sesame Street.

I don't know what kind of relationship Sesame Workshop has with Jim Henson Creature Shop, but the latter has worked on the show before, most notably building Pupazza (and probably Mr. Frumpus as well).

13 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I wonder if the puppet thing is the only way they could think of to do it where they can still address a serious problem but not let the show lose its levity.

For me, the puppet thing was ALL WORTH IT as soon as THE PUPPETEER went on the news and tried to deny everything. I mean, the puppeteer trying to act as a character witness for the puppet is surreal and hilarious on its face, but it also completely NAILS the absurd way these dickswabs transparently cover for each other.

I also love that Titus' story speaks to the type of sexual harrassment/abuse story that is NOT widely shared - the story of the victims who acquiesced under pressure and gave their harassers what they wanted. There is a unique brand of shame in seeing other victims sharing their stories that end with "and I got out of that room as fast as I could," knowing that your story ended differently, and not only do you blame yourself even more, you know that there's no way you could share your story publicly and still maintain a shred of dignity.

So far, I think this batch of episodes is off to the right start!

• Love 20

The puppets as sexual harassers is such a weird thing to make a running story line, that its kind of brilliant. The show has always taken on tough subjects (like the entire premise of the show) and done it in a way that is funny and whimsical, and at its best, that can make the horror of what happened so much more stark in contrast.

The Puppeteer pulling out other puppets to defend Mr. Frumpus, and saying how he in no way believes the accusation, despite the fact that is was very obviously right there, is so horribly true to life, with the way people desperately try to cover for these assholes, or try to say "I had no idea!" when they obviously either knew, or were deliberately sticking their head in the sand to avoid dealing with it. 

Kimmy and the parents having a parent affair and it coming across as bizarrely sexual was hilarious, although I did feel sorry for their son. He did seem to like Kimmy, and she was just not into him even at all.

So happy this show is back, even though its bittersweet as the show is almost over.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, starri said:

I don't know what kind of relationship Sesame Workshop has with Jim Henson Creature Shop, but the latter has worked on the show before, most notably building Pupazza (and probably Mr. Frumpus as well).

It's weird, they made a point of saying it's the Tooney's not the Tony's,  Titus and Kimmy have Houseflix not Netflix but in this case they are pretty clear that Titus auditioned for Sesame Street. 

As far as your other comment, I looed it uo a few years ago when my kids watched Sesame Street, and awhile back Sesame Workshop paid a giant pile of money to buy the rights tonthe Sesame Street muppets (rather than just license them). That is why you don't really see Kermit on Sesame Street any more.

COUSIN LARRY APPLETON!  

I liked this one.  Kimmy went all in with the emotional affair.  She lost her youth and teen years so outside of having a deadbeat mom before hand, all she knows is what she probably saw on TV before and after being underground: the perfect parents.  And parents that wanted to have her around.  I thought it was sweet in a very weird way.  

18 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

For me, the puppet thing was ALL WORTH IT as soon as THE PUPPETEER went on the news and tried to deny everything. I mean, the puppeteer trying to act as a character witness for the puppet is surreal and hilarious on its face, but it also completely NAILS the absurd way these dickswabs transparently cover for each other.

I immediately thought of the fallout at CBS where Les Moonves and those in the news division were covering for others.  

• Love 5

Ha, I loved that the show turned the usual cliche (my boyfriend is awesome but his parents are a nightmare) into the opposite (my boyfriend's parents are awesome but he is a drag). Considering Kimmy's mom, it's not surprising that she would want to hang out with two nice parents who like doing things like playing Scrabble.

Bonus: Ronan Farrow!

• Love 2

I died when Titus told Kimmy that "There's a special place in Hell for women who don't help Tituses."  Because it was a complete callback to when Taylor Swift said "There's a special place in hell for women who don't help other women" after Tina Fey & Amy Poehler made a crack about her when they hosted the Golden Globes back in 2013.  Tina & Amy have gotten a lot of mileage out of that because I've heard them make references to it through the years and it cracks my ass up. 

• Love 5

I liked that the scene with them watching TV at the end showed that Kimmy actually has a family now that will support her, but it's Lillian, Titus, and Mikey, not her parents.

For the love of god, stop casting JMI and not letting him sing!

I busted up when Kimmy and the two parents arrived back at the house and immediately made like they were tearing their clothes off...to play Scrabble!

I immediately recognized the dad as Larry from Perfect Strangers.

• Love 1