Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles: Walking for Another House

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

Ryan Jamaal Swain to join cast of Broadway's Choir Boy

Ryan Jamaal Swain, the standout actor known for his turn as Damon Richards on FX's Pose, will make his Broadway debut in Tarell Alvin McCraney's Choir Boy at the Friedman Theatre on February 26. Swain will join the ensemble and serve as understudy to the role of Pharus, taking over for Jonathan Burke, who will graduate to the role of Pharus on that day, replacing Ain't Too Proud-bound Jeremy Pope.

In addition to his small-screen turn on Pose, Swain was seen off-Broadway in the 2017 production of Kill Move Paradise. In 2014, Swain wrote and starred in A Negro Writer, a solo play about Langston Hughes.

Choir Boy centers on the Charles R. Drew Prep School for Boys, which for a half a century has been dedicated to the education of strong, ethical black men. One talented student has been waiting for years to take his rightful place as the leader of the school's legendary gospel choir. But can he make his way through the hallowed halls of this institution if he sings in his own key?

• Love 3
(edited)

Billy Porter killing it at the Met Gala! The guys carrying him in are from Broadway: Josh Drake (Aladdin), Taurean Everett (The Cher Show), Donald Jones Jr. (Frozen), Anton Lapidus (So You Think You Can Dance), Julius Anthony Rubio (upcoming West Side Story film, Frozen), and Kellen Stancil (The Lion King). More info about his Sun God costume and an interview here.

E281C5C7-CC81-4220-8574-96D2B7F75C71.jpeg.90d9b2066f3822764210089b9cc5f66f.jpeg

7FCE71B2-1B7A-4D1F-AFA1-DD5A2B482B3A.thumb.jpeg.bbedb541af1f8f5b744371a64b4c46f3.jpeg

F1410495-7CD5-470F-A441-08CDBFD92154.thumb.jpeg.951d79f0c5900b35b6e272dca9d7e014.jpeg

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Billy Porter killing it at the Met Gala!

I love that you posted this in the Cast in Other Roles thread rather than the Media thread. Billy is certainly playing a magnificent role here! I have posted an article about his look in the Media thread.

On 1/23/2019 at 6:45 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Hailie Sahar is staring on Good Trouble as the sister of an openly bisexual man. Good to see her getting more work.

That's how I found out about Pose.  I was late to The Fosters--I started watching during the mid-season hiatus of season 5--but I jumped deep into that show and then I followed Mariana and Callie to Good Trouble.  I saw Hailie for the first time on that show then in some comments somewhere Pose would pop up--I was late to that game as well.  Season 1 was long over by the time I heard of the show.

Very fortunately for me I was able to download the episodes from hither and yon to bring myself up to speed on this good show.

• Love 2

Thought people on here might enjoy the tiny taste of MJ Rodriguez (Blanca) singing Little Shop of Horrors. I'll keep an eye out for any press clips from the production.

I saw her live in a show in summer 2016. It was a terrible show about Scrabble and I don't know how far she was into her transition but her voice was a little rough. While I do think they sweeten her vocals for Pose, her voice is definitely much better in these clips than it was in 2016. Natalie Wynn has talked about her discomfort with her voice through her transition. I can't imagine how that would be magnified for someone like MJ who has a musical theater/singing background. It's great to hear her live vocals sounding so strong. 

• Love 3

More pictures and a lot more detailed information about Billy Porter's custom couture Emmy ensemble here!

The look took over 170 hours to hand embroider and the pinstripes were created using 51,510 mini crystals for the jacket and 79,200 for the pants.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Dominique Jackson will appear in Season 3 of American Gods.

Relevant part (possible spoilers):

Spoiler

"Meanwhile, the cast of Pose can’t stop, won’t stop booking gigs. Dominique Jackson, a.k.a. the actress known for Elektra, joins the cast as Ms. World, an incarnation of Crispin Glover’s Mr. World.

As the head of the New Gods, deities of modernity, Mr. World is constantly adapting with the times and taking on new forms. This season, “World is looking to control destiny with a mysterious new piece of technology that, if brought online, will have the power to dominate humanity’s attention. And in this modern age, attention is worship.”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/09/american-gods-season-3-first-look-photo/

• Love 2

'Pose' star Indya Moore just launched 'TransSanta' to send gifts to transgender youth

The 25-year-old "Pose" actor launched TransSanta, an initiative that lets users anonymously gift presents to trans kids and young adults in need.

On TransSanta's accompanying Instagram page, users can read letters submitted by almost 200 children. Users can then select a child to be taken to a Target registry with their wish list. There's a 15-year-old in Tennessee asking for a cozy color-blocked sweater, while an 8-year-old in California aks for a tablet pen. Other gift requests range from a basketball to a rice cooker.

You can check out the requests and fulfill gift requests here.

• Love 5

Dominique Jackson is on House Hunters tonight. It’s episode 8 of season 201.

TV star Dominique Jackson and her fiancé have worked hard to save up to buy their first home in New York; while one’s looking for a full-on glam house with a pool, the other is pushing for a lot of land to raise farm animals.  

9 hours ago, Feline Goddess said:

Dominique Jackson is on House Hunters tonight. It’s episode 8 of season 201.

TV star Dominique Jackson and her fiancé have worked hard to save up to buy their first home in New York; while one’s looking for a full-on glam house with a pool, the other is pushing for a lot of land to raise farm animals.  

Yes, that was posted in the media thread.

Dominique and Indya were on the $100,000 Pyramid last night. They were both good at guessing the clues, not so great at giving the clues. However, they worked together to help a contestant win $150,000. 
It was fun to see them in a different venue  and how laser focused they were to help the contestants.