Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

One of my favorite scenes in Sweet Sixteen is when Almanzo is whining to Eliza Jane about how he asked Laura to the social and was full of himself about how he was being so nice to have asked her.

Eliza Jane wanted to know what Laura had said and he said, "She said she had to THINK about it!" and Eliza Jane just smiled to herself and said, "Oh" and had to suppress the urge to laugh in her brother's face. So satisfying!

Also, for years, I thought Dean Butler's Almanzo was Melissa Gilbert's first kiss - period - not just on-screen. Turns out Chad Brewster beat him to the punch (pun intended).

This is an excerpt from Melissa's My Prairie Cookbook: Memories and Frontier Food from My Little House to Yours:

"This episode was shot several months before I turned sixteen myself. That is the episode where the romance between Laura and Almanzo really begins. In fact, they have their first kiss. I remember shooting that kiss and it was a really big deal. It was kind of scary, but it ended up being very sweet and tender. Bless Dean Butler's heart. He was a grown man having to kiss a child. I can only imagine the pressure he felt. If only I'd been able to tell him that I had already kissed a boy in real life - Tim Maier. He played Chad Brewster in that episode. Nobody knew. But they do now."

I wonder if it was as special for Mr. Maier as it was for Miss Gilbert (and does he even remember?). Oh, well, for whatever reasons, Mr. Maier seems to have not done anything in films or TV since 1994. 

4 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

One of my favorite scenes in Sweet Sixteen is when Almanzo is whining to Eliza Jane about how he asked Laura to the social and was full of himself about how he was being so nice to have asked her.

Eliza Jane wanted to know what Laura had said and he said, "She said she had to THINK about it!" and Eliza Jane just smiled to herself and said, "Oh" and had to suppress the urge to laugh in her brother's face. So satisfying!

Also, for years, I thought Dean Butler's Almanzo was Melissa Gilbert's first kiss - period - not just on-screen. Turns out Chad Brewster beat him to the punch (pun intended).

This is an excerpt from Melissa's My Prairie Cookbook: Memories and Frontier Food from My Little House to Yours:

"This episode was shot several months before I turned sixteen myself. That is the episode where the romance between Laura and Almanzo really begins. In fact, they have their first kiss. I remember shooting that kiss and it was a really big deal. It was kind of scary, but it ended up being very sweet and tender. Bless Dean Butler's heart. He was a grown man having to kiss a child. I can only imagine the pressure he felt. If only I'd been able to tell him that I had already kissed a boy in real life - Tim Maier. He played Chad Brewster in that episode. Nobody knew. But they do now."

I love hearing that because I get a little tired of hearing so much criticism of the Dean and Melissa situation.  I love that she was kind and complimentary of him as he is really a nice person and has done a lot for the LIW story over time.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 3
On 8/10/2021 at 4:24 AM, debraran said:

I love that idea and thought similar back when I watched it again. It would have given more substance and opportunity for funny moments with some of her classes. Sure many kids were going to be farmers, but learning more about it (as the guy Joe Coulter did) would have been nice. But what about students like Willie and Albert and John Jr who could have used more studies to go to college or just know more about life in general. I always felt Caroline was the educated one in the Ingall's family and would have loved to have more interesting books or activities close to town.

I thought to make Harriet look worse they had the art class part, NO way even Harriet would have had The Bathers  or The Rape of the Sabine Women” Sure it's "art" but she knows they had Willie chastised for looking at bras in a catalog, you don't show kids those things in 1800's. I know Harriet was more educated than most but that was just silly. I wonder if Katherine balked.

I agree that it's somewhat self-defeating for school (or school board) to refuse to believe that any of their students could be anything but farmers, farmers' wives, laborers,etc. and someone on the board should have piped up that schools are supposed to encourage students to broaden their horizons NOT just believe they'd never have reason to think outside of any ruts or boxes.

I know that Miss MacGregor liked to brag about how she persuaded the writers to write the French words 'as was' but let HER butcher them enough to make them funny, so I suppose  that she may have been  willing to let Harriet be even 'foolish' than usual via the painting selections . 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Blergh said:

agree that it's somewhat self-defeating for school (or school board) to refuse to believe that any of their students could be anything but farmers, farmers' wives, laborers,etc. and someone on the board should have piped up that schools are supposed to encourage students to broaden their horizons NOT just believe they'd never have reason to think outside of any ruts or boxes.

I get what you're saying, and that would absolutely be true in today's world.  But, we have to remember that the boys for the most part weren't even going to school the full school year because they had to help with the harvesting.  Some families wouldn't even have enough money for oil for the lamps to do homework after the sun went down.  They had limited time and resources and had to teach what was going to be most relevant.  And I do remember Laura saying that if any of the students were interested in learning the other subjects, she would do what she could to help them

• Love 2

I never really noticed because I don't really like the episode, but did Rev. Alden's marriage stick? I just saw him marry some widow, was that ever resolved? Didn't he have a romance in the 9th season, or am I hallucinating again? 

I think she's mentioned a few times but never seen again, put out to pasture with all those one-off kids who show up at school to have a special moment and are never seen again. 

• LOL 2
46 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think she's mentioned a few times but never seen again, put out to pasture with all those one-off kids who show up at school to have a special moment and are never seen again. 

That was 1979 and she died in 1982 so that wasn't it. I thought, maybe.  Name was Iris Korn.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 8/11/2021 at 5:05 PM, Zella said:

The dungeon outside of town, full of all those kids, Dr. LeDoux, Tinker Jones ("You never miss a Sunday at church!" - except for every single other Sunday ever), and Mariette Hartley's china.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, jird said:

The dungeon outside of town, full of all those kids, Dr. LeDoux, Tinker Jones ("You never miss a Sunday at church!" - except for every single other Sunday ever), and Mariette Hartley's china.

Maybe Half-Pint SAT on Miss Hartley's china as a child the way she would on the Ingallses' intended picture window as a so-called adult but didn't want to admit it 'for the books'. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

My Ellen's parents? Did they get the help they needed? 

The creepy father who lost his wife & kid in "Plague?" Did he just wander off? 

Well, Ellen’s mom would end up with Mr. Edwards. 

The creepy father who lost his wife and son TWICE. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Well, Ellen’s mom would end up with Mr. Edwards. 

Was she Grace 2.0? I totally missed that? 

I've never seen the entire Red Skelton conman episode until today. Pretty mediocre episode IMO

• Love 3

I just put Karen Grassle's book on pre order at Amazon. It might be a nice surprise whenever it ships. I don't expect a lot of LHOP, mosty her life and struggles with various things but be nice to "visit with her". She waited the longest to write one and and I think she will be respectful but honest. I am hoping for more photos we might have not seen from show along with others from her career.

When ER resurfaced on Hulu, Noah who played Carter put a lot of Polaroids he took on set with his "new camera" on his social media and still does on occasion. It gave a look at them playing and socializing and having fun. I don't expect that per se but I hope for some nice ones. (now watch there will be none!) : )

It's been mentioned but it's called Bright Lights, Prairie Dust: Reflections on Life, Loss, and Love from Little House's Ma and seems to be paperback or Kindle.

I don't think they expect anyone but hardcore fans at this point after it's been off almost 40 years but Amazon and Hallmark and Cozi etc, keep it alive. I hope she does well.

• Love 3

I had the choice between Money Corn and Laura Teaches the Deaf Kid. I went with Corn, even though I've seen it 20 times. I hate that other one. 

Add the Corn couple (and their baby) to Walnut Grove people we never see again. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I had the choice between Money Corn and Laura Teaches the Deaf Kid. I went with Corn, even though I've seen it 20 times. I hate that other one. 

Add the Corn couple (and their baby) to Walnut Grove people we never see again. 

I liked them too and having an articulate, smart guy and a new baby would have been nice. But only Charles could be the "good guy" for more than one show. ; )

• Love 5
On 7/30/2021 at 8:37 AM, Superclam said:

I always skip this one. I also skip "Bully Boys." I guess I don't like prairie bullying. 

"Werewolf" is followed by "The Angry Heart," which I can also skip. 

Contrary to my own advice, I watched "The Angry Heart" yesterday, and it was better than I remembered. The "Charles gets an emotional breakthrough from the kid that would take a team of psychiatrists 10 years" part was a little silly, of course. 

I started Werewolf, and turned it off after 2 minutes. That kid just has a punchable face. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I started Werewolf, and turned it off after 2 minutes. That kid just has a punchable face. 

Of course one odd thing about 'Werewolf' was that they had a one-shot kid whose ONLY purpose was to explain how to make paper mache items. I mean, it wasn't rocket science for them to have soaked paper in wet paste then put the saturated, pasty paper on the objects so I didn't see why Eliza Jane herself couldn't have explained that to the class when assigning them to do so for an art project  (though I didn't buy that a 19th century Midwesterner one-room school would  have taken so much time with art work besides the occasional drawing).

• Love 3

The episode with Albert's pen pal is on. My husband asked what I was watching, and didn't believe me when I told him it was the catfishing episode of Little House. 😅

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
Just now, Superclam said:

I'm watching it now only because there's nothing else on. I can usually skip it. The part with Pa & the dude from the train station is kind of funny. 

Same, I always skip it but my brain is fried tonight. And I laughed at the train guy inadvertently insulting Pa, too.

• LOL 3

Just watched "Days of Sunshine, Days of Shadow" from Season 8.  Almanzo drove me crazy with the way he constantly refused to consider Laura's point of view and shut her out of his decision making.  Even after he came around to her perspective, he didn't give give her any credit.  If you don't take her seriously because she's so young, maybe you shouldn't have married a child, Almanzo.

That said, Laura's acting was terrible, especially her meltdown in front of Grace. And Eliza Jane was plain creepy throughout the episode.  I understand her having disagreements with Laura, but why not have her say so openly?  Instead of the music getting all weird and her slithering into Almanzo's room while Laura's upstairs with the cat (strange cat subplot).  And her weeping at Almanzo's news that he can actually walk and doesn't want to go to Minneapolis?  It's not about you, Eliza Jane. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Just watched "Days of Sunshine, Days of Shadow" from Season 8.  Almanzo drove me crazy with the way he constantly refused to consider Laura's point of view and shut her out of his decision making.  Even after he came around to her perspective, he didn't give give her any credit.  If you don't take her seriously because she's so young, maybe you shouldn't have married a child, Almanzo.

That said, Laura's acting was terrible, especially her meltdown in front of Grace. And Eliza Jane was plain creepy throughout the episode.  I understand her having disagreements with Laura, but why not have her say so openly?  Instead of the music getting all weird and her slithering into Almanzo's room while Laura's upstairs with the cat (strange cat subplot).  And her weeping at Almanzo's news that he can actually walk and doesn't want to go to Minneapolis?  It's not about you, Eliza Jane. 

They were all so annoying in that episode that I was having homicidal thoughts about the 3 of them. By that point, I hated Laura already but Almanzo had kind of grown on me and I generally liked Eliza Jane but oh my God. I think that's some of the worst acting I ever saw from Melissa Gilbert in the entire run of the show. I didn't even feel any sympathy for them that I would for anyone experiencing those things because they were so off-putting. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Laura was awful in the later seasons (and in this one - leaving your BABY alone in a tornado so that you can go get a cat that doesn't even live in the house and is smart enough to take care of itself? You'd think she would have learned something from Mary), but the rest of the family was awful to her, Ma and Pa included. I don't care how good their intentions were, don't lie about how her house is just fine like she's a child. It's her damn house!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Eliza Jane, whom I generally like, is awful in both of her return episodes. It’s not Laura’s fault that she can’t attract a man, and then she’s horrible when she tries to butt in in DOSDOS. That episode is just crazy, with all the tragedies going on: hail destroys the crops (again), Almanzo gets diphtheria, Almanzo is paralyzed after a stroke, a tornado destroys the house. I felt bad when Laura discovered her wrecked house and goes apeshit, and Grace is all like WTF? And that collapsed house with the roof on the ground could still be seen a couple of episodes afterward, next to the new rustic house. And Caroline magically fixes the plate - who knew she was so talented?

One of the episodes of DOSDOS is 90 min long, so our local station never showed it in the rerun rotation back in the 1980s. It was only when LHOTP went to cable that I was able to see it again.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Eliza Jane, whom I generally like, is awful in both of her return episodes.

Yeah that Arizona episode, besides being implausible in premise, is not flattering to Eliza Jane either. I don't even know why they bothered bringing her back. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

One of the episodes of DOSDOS is 90 min long, so our local station never showed it in the rerun rotation back in the 1980s. It was only when LHOTP went to cable that I was able to see it again.

Yeah, I was just looking it up on my cable guide, and Hallmark Drama isn't showing it where it's scheduled in the next 2 weeks. They're also skipping "The Godsister" which is better news. I don't know that I've seen the entire DOSDOS now that I think about it. I'll look for it on UPtv when it comes up. 

Unfortunately, they are not skipping Sylvia Parts 1 & 2, which are on tonight. 

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah that Arizona episode, besides being implausible in premise, is not flattering to Eliza Jane either. I don't even know why they bothered bringing her back. 

It's like they forgot how to write her character in the interim.  Same for Nellie -- she comes back nice and relatable with no signs of a temper tantrum.  The actress said that Nellie's homecoming was actually like her homecoming, that none of the actors was really acting, and it shows.  I didn't see Nellie; I saw Alison Arngrim reuniting with Melissa Gilbert and her other actor friends.  I really wanted to see flashes of the old Nellie in her dealings with Nancy (the pinching her nose to stop her snoring isn't enough).

And yes, Nancy, they do hate you.  Nels and Willie, at least.  I wish Nels would admit it instead of pretending he actually loved that monster.

• Love 4

I've decided to watch random episodes of the later awful seasons (because there's no way I'm actually going to watch all episodes after season 5) and chose "Days of Sunshine, Days of Shadow" since you guys have been discussing it. Where to begin?

Eliza Jane is so creepy with her babying Almanzo and basically turning into the other woman in the Wilder marriage. I hate that they turned her into a clingy controlling spinster who enjoyed the thought of taking over her little brother's care and family. And who owned that farm anyway? Eliza Jane kept calling it our home and took the reins when trying to sell it but Laura also kept calling it her house. 

I wanted to smack Laura when she intentionally broke the glass bread plate that Caroline gave to her and salvaged from the destroyed Wilder house. But I do understand her meltdown at discovering the destroyed house; why the hell would they keep that information from her? So dumb. But that scene did give us little Grace's hilarious reaction: child realizes her sister is crazy and hightails it out of there, lol. With all the tragedies that befell Laura this episode, I'm surprised Grace didn't turn up missing or dead after Laura scared her away.

How the hell did everyone fit inside the little Ingalls farmhouse after Laura & Almanzo moved in? By my count there were 4 adults, 5 kids, 1 baby, and a cat. Did Charles add an addition in the barn during the episodes I didn't watch?

I thought Harriett's reaction to Laura & Almanzo possibly moving to Minneapolis was odd. Why would she be upset they'd be leaving? She never liked Laura. If anything, I'd think she'd be giddy that Caroline would be losing her daughter just like she lost Nellie.

You know, I don't remember Charles & Caroline being so upset about Mary leaving the nest and moving far away as they were at the thought of Laura leaving them. I guess I know who their favorite kid was. 

We give Charles a lot of crap, but he went above and beyond in these 2 episodes. Dude mortgaged his farm and went to work on the railroad to get the money to temporarily save the Wilder farm, and then he did most of the heavy labor in rebuilding their house. If I were in his shoes I'd have pawned off Laura & Almanzo and their multitude of problems onto the willing Eliza Jane.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I didn’t realize it was on Amazon/imdb. I started to watch DOSDOS, but had to stop when Laura told Zaldamo that “Pa never buys anything on credit.” What a crock of shit.

I like how on Amazon I can quickly FF on laptop as I watch or rewind. They have some "goofs" in the beginning and extra things.

Yes, "cash on the barrel" is forgotten often. I'm glad Sprague turned him down once since it wasn't that important. Dishes? I just never could figure out, despite Mr Landon always wanting them poor, why we couldn't see ONE year, one episode where they had extra money and something bad didn't happen. Lost job, tornado, hail, Mary gets kicked by a horse. Sure farmers have bad luck but the Ingall's were cursed. Guy couldn't even buy a window without it breaking more than once. (did anyone else wonder how much money he lost 3 times when Laura broke it?) I'd have her pay for it. She had a real house.

Grace, they all had nice clocks or vases or furniture. They had rooms with walls. Poor Ma had same clothes over ten years, everything she made, no store bought, no special things but lemon verbena, no nice dishes (sorry) glasses, hats, coat, soap, something. I know she had "everything" but still.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

And another thing about "Days of Sunshine, Days of Shadow": 

It was kind of awkward when Laura confided in Pa that Almanzo hadn't kissed her or touched her in months. I found it uncomfortable for 2 reasons: I find it hard to believe a woman of that time would say something like that to her father, and Melissa Gilbert had such a babyface I didn't want to hear about Laura's lack of sex life with her husband.

Laura also climbed up a tree to rescue the cat in this episode. I know they wanted to portray Laura retaining her spunky and tomboyish behavior into adulthood, but seeing her climb the tree only served to remind me she was really still just a kid with a grown man for a husband. I think that if MG had been in her early 20's then I wouldn't have had such a problem with Laura's marriage but since she was only 16/17, it made Laura's tribulations as a wife a bit uncomfortable to watch. I know, I know, it was a different time; both the 1880s and the 1970s. 

The episode that follows DOSDOS is the one where Mr. Edwards' marriage falls apart because of his alcoholism. Peacock started playing it automatically but I stopped it because I want to watch it when I can give it my full attention. I have no memory of ever seeing this episode even though I must have at some point since I used to watch the reruns on TBS when I was kid. I did catch a glimpse of recast Grace, though. She looks nothing like original recipe Grace. Hmph!

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 3

Something just occurred to me: the Ingallses named their youngest daughter Grace- yet they never said that they'd named her for their former bestie's wife! 

Yes, I know that the RL Ingallses did indeed have their youngest daughter named that but the show's Ingallses never said where they got the name from. Was ML still so sore over Victor French's (as it turned out temporary) departure that he refused to acknowledge any possible link via the youngest daughter's name? 

Let's not forget that the Ingallses and Edwardses left 'Gold Country' together but then the next season not a trace of any of the latter family back in Walnut Grove and the Ingallses' new besties were the Garveys! 

• Love 2

So, I'm not always very charitable to Michael Landon on here, but I don't think the lack of acknowledgment had anything to do with irritation at Victor French for leaving. If so, I doubt Landon would have allowed him to come back or done another series with him because dude could hold a grudge when he wanted to. 

I am not sure it ever even dawned on them to acknowledge the connection because I simply don't think the shared first names were an intended connection. I mean, I didn't even consider the fact that Grace and Grace shared a name until now or wondered if Grace Wilder was named after Grace Edwards, and I feel like I've put more thought into show continuity than they often did. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1

I do think - and it’s been documented elsewhere - that Landon was pissed at French. That’s why the Edwards clan just disappeared without any kind of acknowledgement whatsoever. Even when John Jr returned to dump Mary because she was too much of a bumpkin, there was no mention of his adopted family. But I agree that name of the Ingalls’ youngest daughter was just a coincidence.

Edited by Kyle
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kyle said:

But I agree that name of the Ingalls’ youngest daughter was just a coincidence.

Which is weird.  I mean obviously they had read the books before starting production.  I wonder if he had always planned to leave out baby Grace and then changed his mind.  But, either way, why name a side character a name that you know there is a high probability of becoming a family member's name.

6 hours ago, Zella said:

o, I'm not always very charitable to Michael Landon on here, but I don't think the lack of acknowledgment had anything to do with irritation at Victor French for leaving. If so, I doubt Landon would have allowed him to come back or done another series with him because dude could hold a grudge when he wanted to. 

I remember an interview with Victor French, maybe around the time Michael Landon died.  He said something about Michael Landon being able to forgive him and allowing him back on the show and then doing Highway to Heaven with him.  Actually, I think I'm playing fast and loose with the word remember, but it definitely had something to do with forgiveness which would suggest that he was mad at some point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Well, ML knew that the RL Ingallses DID have their lastborn daughter named Grace so I'm wondering if the original plan might have been for the show Ingallses to have had her after X number of seasons- with the fictional Grace Snyder Edwards being her godmother (but that got totally scuttled via Victor French's departure). 

• Love 2

I kind of wish someone could redo the show where it's still the family show it was (not a dark super realistic reboot) but with more logic and continuity between episodes. 

I've also realized from reading this that I stopped watching this show prior to the last seasons. I thought we always watched it but I stop remembering shows after Nelly gets married and Laura marries Almonzo. 

• Love 4

I'm interested. How many different channels/networks are showing LH back there in the America at the moment?

And another thing, with those two-parter episodes where one is regular in length and the other one is longer. Some of you have said that longer ones aren't shown as often/at all. Do they still show the shorter one and not give a damn that story stays unfinished?

• Love 3

For the weekday reruns, if it was a two-parter where one episode was 90 min (DOSDOS, “There’s No Place Like Home”), they didn’t show either episode in our market. The other 90 minute episodes like “The Godsister” were missing too. I’m not sure they were even part of the original broadcast syndication package. I know the pilot wasn’t. The first time I saw those episodes - as well as the post-series TV movies - in reruns was on TBS in the late 1980s. And even TBS showed the 90 minute episodes and movies on the weekends, rather than as part of the weekday rotation.

Edited by Kyle
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Pirpana said:

How many different channels/networks are showing LH back there in the America at the moment?

I think the answer might vary by region. I don't have cable or satellite, and I am sure one of my offshoot channels from antenna probably gets it, but I've never seen it advertised. (Probably just not a channel I watch.) When I watched the show few months ago, I did it all on Amazon Prime. 

• Love 2

COZI, a digital broadcast subchannel owned by NBC, currently shows it. And INSP and Hallmark Drama from what I understand (I don’t have cable). I don’t think many - if any - local stations are showing it as part of a broadcast syndication package. The oldest scripted comedy or drama series that I’m aware of that are regularly in broadcast syndication are The Simpsons and Seinfeld. But there may be an odd market here or there that still shows it.

• Useful 2

In my cable package (Spectrum NYC) it's available 9AM - 2PM on UPtv, channel 124 and then 2PM - 7PM on Hallmark Drama, channel 127. It varies on the weekends, sometimes they have marathons. 

For streaming, it's on Amazon Prime and Peacock. Really quite a lot of Little House options. 

Personally, I'd rather watch it when it's broadcast with commercials. Then I can pay attention with one eye and do other things with the other. When I stream something, I feel a weird obligation to pay close attention. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Superclam said:

In my cable package (Spectrum NYC) it's available 9AM - 2PM on UPtv, channel 124 and then 2PM - 7PM on Hallmark Drama, channel 127. It varies on the weekends, sometimes they have marathons. 

Wow, five hours a day, twice a day. No wonder you guys inform here so often about episode X being shown on somewhere. I've often raised my eyebrows, "Hey, wait a minute, didn't they just show that one". 😄

Thank you to all three of you for enlightening me. You Americans seem to have somewhat endless options which also differ between places. Well, I shouldn't be surprised really considering here in Finland we have 20 (!) free channels and for those with deep pockets practically every channel in other European countries.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Superclam said:

For streaming, it's on Amazon Prime and Peacock. Really quite a lot of Little House options. 

Personally, I'd rather watch it when it's broadcast with commercials. Then I can pay attention with one eye and do other things with the other. When I stream something, I feel a weird obligation to pay close attention. 

I can get that but I feel with TV, if I need to do something or someone talks over something, I miss it. With my lap top, I can rewind it or pause. Sometimes I do other things and just listen depending on the show or interest level. I can also pause it to see something closer.

10 minutes ago, debraran said:

I can get that but I feel with TV, if I need to do something or someone talks over something, I miss it. With my lap top, I can rewind it or pause. Sometimes I do other things and just listen depending on the show or interest level. I can also pause it to see something closer.

I agree. With shows I'm invested in, or movies I really want to see, I'll watch on my laptop, with the lights off and headphones on. 

11 minutes ago, Pirpana said:

Wow, five hours a day, twice a day. No wonder you guys inform here so often about episode X being shown on somewhere. I've often raised my eyebrows, "Hey, wait a minute, didn't they just show that one". 😄

Related to this, and also to the classic LH trope of characters coming and going, I saw the one with the Russian family today while I was eating lunch. We never saw the Pyatokovs before, and we never saw the family that bought their farm again. 

• Love 3

^^ That's my way too. As a matter of fact, I have all the episodes on my pc as video files and that's why I'm able to notice subtle changes in the way how an actor delivers his/her lines. In fact, I've translated the whole series to my own language for my own pleasure - after buying them on Blu-ray first, of course. And my alias is actually Finnish version of Half-Pint.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2