Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Katy M said:

That's my favorite scene of any sitcom ever.

The show did really well when it did scenes that was a lot of quick information thrown out.  TOW the Embyos was another good one.  .  Big Fat Goalie.  Maurice the Space Cowboy. Transponster.

Also Chandler breaking his New Year's Resolution.  Tom Jones wants his pants back.  Hornswagle? Are you dating a character from Fraggle Rock?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I had a root canal this week - painless thanks to the Novacaine but still a long and not-fun process.  Tiny Dancer came on the radio and made me smile (internally or course) thanks to Phoebe’s line that the song was about a young Tony Danza.

• Love 3

The dress Monica found at Kleinman’s looks nothing like the dress she tried on in the bridal shop.  Like, she says to Meghan “you saw me wearing it!” and if I were Meghan I would have said “uh, no you weren’t.”

• Love 4
23 hours ago, mojoween said:

The dress Monica found at Kleinman’s looks nothing like the dress she tried on in the bridal shop.  Like, she says to Meghan “you saw me wearing it!” and if I were Meghan I would have said “uh, no you weren’t.”

Haha every time someone mentions this I have to point out it's also not the dress hanging in the living room after she buys it! 😃

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1

I was watching the show yesterday and I realized that Phoebe is my least favorite character. 

I think a lot of that has to do with how much her character changed. I feel like she used to be the sweet one in the earlier seasons. Then at some point (maybe after season four), she became arrogant, pushy, unfiltered, and just someone that would be exhausting to hang out with in real life. I mean, all of them would be exhausting to hang out with in real life, but especially her. Then there would be times where they make her the straight man and the voice of reason, which doesn't work for her character. 

I don't know, I feel like when the show declined, Phoebe became the hardest character to write for. Everybody became more exaggerated, but it's really noticeable with her.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

They had that baby shower episode where Phoebe was snapping at Monica/Rach and Rachel actually cried.  Maybe the writers thought that was so hysterical they decided to keep it up for the rest of the series.

• Useful 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

After Phoebe gave birth to the triplets, did Phoebe ever have the A story at all? Maybe not until she met Mike?

She dated Michael Rapaport, unless pivoting the couch is the A story there, lol.  Both good stories.  She had the funeral for her grandmother and her father showed up.  She lived with Rachel for a while and they did silly things together.  Pottery Barn, running funny, Unagi with Ross.

When David came back and she fought with Joey over it, that was before Mike, right?  I know that she and Mike broke up for a bit.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She had the funeral for her grandmother and her father showed up.

A plot line that never went anywhere! Did Phoebe tell her brother about it?  Did she ever pursue a relationship with him? And Phoebe’s whole backstory makes no sense at all.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 5

Funny that Rachel had no problem with Mona but baby store lady was a bridge too far.

I love when Chandler tries to get into the closet after telling Monica he wouldn’t and then walks by and causally says “love you”.  It also makes me giggle when in a different ep she asked him some serious question and he answered “No. Do we have any fruit rollups?”

• Love 2
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Funny that Rachel had no problem with Mona but baby store lady was a bridge too far.

Rena Sofer is really gorgeous.  LOL.  Maybe Rachel was threatened by her.  She also thought she was sexually aggressive (nice way of saying slutty).  Which, she was, going after a new Dad in what appeared to be an obvious couple.  Whereas apparently everyone thought Mona was boring.  

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

I love when Chandler tries to get into the closet after telling Monica he wouldn’t and then walks by and causally says “love you”.  It also makes me giggle when in a different ep she asked him some serious question and he answered “No. Do we have any fruit rollups?”

Haha me too!  The serious question was, "Do you think we need to talk about our relationship more? 🤣

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Rena Sofer is really gorgeous.  LOL.  Maybe Rachel was threatened by her.  She also thought she was sexually aggressive (nice way of saying slutty).  Which, she was, going after a new Dad in what appeared to be an obvious couple.  Whereas apparently everyone thought Mona was boring.  

No, the baby store lady was aware they weren’t a couple, they had said so. But picking up a guy shopping with his baby mama, even if they’re not a couple, is still pretty tacky.

And Mona was just weird. She actually liked listening to Ross prattling on and on about boring topics and watching documentaries that he liked. I mean, he could’ve suggested watching a documentary about paint drying and she would’ve done so happily.

I didn't find Mona weird at all, I think it's sweet that she liked Ross for who he is, but there was a funny joke when Phoebe said "Do I ever comment on any of your partners?  Janice?  Tag?  Mona?"  And Ross cried out "What was wrong with Mona?"  That's what I was referencing, I had just remembered it wrong.  Plus Joey hit on Mona too so maybe they actually liked her.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 7/31/2022 at 7:35 AM, chitowngirl said:

A plot line that never went anywhere! Did Phoebe tell her brother about it?  Did she ever pursue a relationship with him? And Phoebe’s whole backstory makes no sense at all.

In TOW Phoebe's Wedding, Joey was only the choice to walk Phoebe down the aisle because her stepfather didn't get a weekend furlough (because he stabbed someone). Phoebe's stepfather had been in prison for twenty years or longer, depending if he went in before or after her mom killed herself, but either way Phoebe was on the streets at fourteen. Did she really have that kind of relationship with her stepfather that she'd want him to walk her down the aisle?

On 8/2/2022 at 2:21 PM, mojoween said:

They had the best relationship by far!  I loved their high-five moment the day after the wedding as well as their replying to the honeymoon couple who were so happy to be together that they didn’t need the extra things with “yeah, we want the stuff.”

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

to the honeymoon couple who were so happy to be together that they didn’t need the extra things with “yeah, we want the stuff.”

I love that they were looking lovingly at each other while the other couple was talking, then snapped out it and said, 'yeat we want the stuff" (With Chandler's emphasis on the word 'stuff'!!)

• Love 7

Two things: Monica and Phoebe bragging about how they got the widow to pay the funeral catering bill. I wouldn’t brag about that. Because yeah, you got the widow to pay the bill but in a way that guaranteed you wouldn’t be getting any future business from the people that were there, even if they liked the food.

And secondly: I think a clock pen is a perfectly acceptable gift for Joey to give Kathy as a birthday present when they had only been going out two weeks.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ok so apparently you can do the googley with all six Friends.  Joey’s is now my favorite but Monica’s is perfect.

Rachel and Chandler kind of got the shaft with these, I feel. Phoebe's is exactly what you'd expect, and Ross's is too, but still funny with a payoff if you keep clicking it. Monica's is pretty cute, actually. Reminds me of when they walked in on her happily using a dustbuster on the vacuum cleaner and she opined "if only they had a smaller one to clean this one!" I greatly preferred Neat Freak Monica jokes over Formerly Fat Monica jokes.

On 8/15/2022 at 3:36 PM, kariyaki said:

And secondly: I think a clock pen is a perfectly acceptable gift for Joey to give Kathy as a birthday present when they had only been going out two weeks.

See, this is where everything falls apart for me, I guess because I'm such a prude.  They'd only been going out two weeks, but they've also been having sex.  Does that move the bar for everything else up faster?

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

See, this is where everything falls apart for me, I guess because I'm such a prude.  They'd only been going out two weeks, but they've also been having sex.  Does that move the bar for everything else up faster?

Well, Joey and Kathy met in acting class, so it’s anybody’s guess how long they knew each other before they started dating. I think knowing each other for a time platonically first can accelerate moving into a sexual relationship because the “getting to know you” part has already been going on. Like Monica and Chandler started dating BY moving into a sexual relationship. 

• Useful 1
On 8/15/2022 at 3:36 PM, kariyaki said:

Sure, but Chandler was the one who protested the gift.  He had ulterior motives.  He was in love with Kathy and thought she deserved more.  Of course, Joey was fine.  

Oh I see that Rachel kind of protested it too.  LOL.  Maybe Rachel was trying to defend Chandler a bit, but we all know that Rachel likes extravagant gifts.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1

A couple days ago I was at physical therapy and Steve Miller's The Joker came on and I said it was years before I realized Joey's imaginary friend was Maurice the space cowboy was from this song.  My physical therapist said OMG I just now realized that because you told me.  

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
On 6/10/2022 at 1:49 PM, kariyaki said:

It's very "straw that broke the camel's back." All the stuff that had gone wrong in his life had piled on and the sandwich incident pushed him over the edge.

"Someone ATE the only good thing going on in my life!"

On 7/5/2022 at 12:33 PM, LexieLily said:

Elliot Gould said that was his favorite episode to film and I totally understand why. The scene is awesome by itself even with no context but the episode really pulls everything together in that segment.

Definitely one of my most-watched episodes along with TOW the Videotape.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

"Someone ATE the only good thing going on in my life!"

Definitely one of my most-watched episodes along with TOW the Videotape.

TOW the videotape is my favorite. Everything was set up so well for the payoff at the end.

• Love 3

I love every scene with the Gellers, from Elliot Gould’s showing up to comfort his heartbroken daughter (“…a ‘Monicuddle’”) in TOW The Princess Leia Fantasy to Christina Pickles’ epic takedown of Thanksgiving dinner during TOW Ross Got High.  
The best lines have already been repeated recently, so I won’t list them here, but one of the reasons I ❤️ that speech is that it pinged the courtroom scene of one of my favorite comedies, What’s Up, Doc?  Liam Dunn’s judge listens as Ryan O’Neal basically recounts the plot of the film, and Dunn’s reaction has me wheeze with laughter every time (even as my lips move):

Howard: “…Is that clear?”

Judge Maxwell: “No, but it’s consistent!” 

• Love 3

“Joey has a major hernia but it’s nothing a little laser EYE surgery won’t fix” makes me laugh every time.

Partially because I once worked with a lady who was having stomach pain, and thought she might have a liver infection, so she scheduled…root canal surgery.  Always puzzled me, that.

• LOL 3
On 8/17/2022 at 11:47 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sure, but Chandler was the one who protested the gift.  He had ulterior motives.  He was in love with Kathy and thought she deserved more.  Of course, Joey was fine.  

Oh I see that Rachel kind of protested it too.  LOL.  Maybe Rachel was trying to defend Chandler a bit, but we all know that Rachel likes extravagant gifts.

I think the point was that Joey, her lover, couldn't give her a pen when Chandler, her friend, bout a meaningful and expensive gift.  Even a pen with a clock in it! 😃

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, princelina said:

I think the point was that Joey, her lover, couldn't give her a pen when Chandler, her friend, bout a meaningful and expensive gift.  Even a pen with a clock in it! 😃

I know, but they were also acting like a clock pen wouldn’t have been an acceptable gift, even if the book hadn’t been a factor.

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, princelina said:

Chandler was out  of line  with that whole thing.  I agree Joey did nothing wrong.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Happy 55th anniversary this year for Jack and Judy Gellar!

Watched this one yesterday: Jack says with a big smile, "They thought it was a hate crime."

Edited by Nellise
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I don’t know why I just noticed this, but Ross is not wearing a mask or gown when he’s in the delivery room with Rachel.  Ew.

Frank doesn't either with Phoebe. And nobody is wearing a mask in either scene, including the doctors and nurses.

• Love 1

I was driving when a storyline for Friends ran through my brain, and I am surprised the writers didn’t go there.  What if Susan and Carol wanted another baby and wanted Ross to donate?  This time, however, Susan wants to be pregnant.  That could have been fun to explore.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I was driving when a storyline for Friends ran through my brain, and I am surprised the writers didn’t go there.  What if Susan and Carol wanted another baby and wanted Ross to donate?  This time, however, Susan wants to be pregnant.  That could have been fun to explore.

Except the entire time we knew them, Susan clearly would’ve rather not had Ross involved at all with Ben. No way no how would they ask him to be sperm donor for a second child.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Susan warmed up after Ben was born and seemed to enjoy having some of those child-free weekends when Ross took Ben.  Maybe Carol really wants the siblings to have a biological tie and convinces Susan that way.  They could have written it in a way that would be interesting.

• Love 1