Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08 "What the Puck"

Cole hopes to meet with Natalie in order to talk about their relationship, but is interrupted by an encounter with a new assistant district attorney. Murtaugh makes an unexpected friend after he is kicked out of the house for a girls' night.

Itook the liberty to start this topic since there was none.

A new person has been introduced on the 8th episode?  I don't know what to think because I like her but it is late to bring her.  She fits very well with Cole.

• Love 4

Surprised, I thought Roger left the tap running on his bath as he went downstairs to answer the phone and talk to Cole. I thought this might cause an incident later, but no.

Thought they would let the maitre d (or whatever he was) go for helping to bring down several dangerous criminals. They have let much worst people go free on the show. They probably still need him to testify.

They don't really show you the fate of the bomb maker with the grenade between his legs.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, heisenberg said:

Cole hopes to meet with Natalie in order to talk about their relationship, but is interrupted by an encounter with a new assistant district attorney. Murtaugh makes an unexpected friend after he is kicked out of the house for a girls' night.

Itook the liberty to start this topic since there was none.

A new person has been introduced on the 8th episode?  I don't know what to think because I like her but it is late to bring her.  She fits very well with Cole.

He had chemistry with her.  Hey if Natalie doesn't want him...

• Love 3
10 hours ago, heisenberg said:

I liked her, so bring it on while the show lasts! It isn't easy to play the "woman with authority" and be sympathetic because the type is too often written as humorless. It wasn't the case here and I appreciated what the actress did with the role. She and SWS have good chemistry and I agree, the characters fit well.

After a less-than-palatable love triangle on The Resident, color me shocked when LW actually wrote one as well as possible. Cole made a mistake, Natalie made a mistake, but I wasn't told it didn't matter because Andrew has flaws or suddenly turned into a jerk. He was even the more sympathetic of the lot. I liked how he didn't hit Cole not because Cole didn't deserve it but indeed because it isn't him. Cole screwed up and was selfish, Natalie screwed up and was selfish but they weren't rewarded for it and since I felt free to judge them, I was more prone to understand where they came from and appreciate their efforts to patch it up. I could like Cole/Maggie as a couple but I'm more relieved they didn't ruin the characters, than anything. I was never comfortable with the fact that she wasn't single.

I have a feeling, though, that Andrew is going to die later in the season.

The COTW was hilarious, and so was the girls' night. Cole crashing it, LOL. Loved the ending with Cole and Murtaugh.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 3

I actually would prefer  Cole to have a relationship that was not Natalie. The new lady it's so much more interesting than Jordana Brewster constantly attending to Riggs' issues. I would like for a show  to not bring in other characters knowing that they have an end game with two others and also be able to show two former partners co-parenting while in new relationships with closeness but no intimacy and not a lot of conflict.

I'm just sad that they didn't start with this direction of the show from the get-go. It really has been entertaining this year.

I like all Trish scenes and no Gute

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 1

Cole reminds me so much Adam Levine (except with a heavier beard).  

I like the new love interest.  Even though Riggs and the shrink weren't romantically involved, the chemistry was certainly there.  However, I always felt like her part was a loose end and unnecessary.  She mostly interacted Riggs anyway.  I'm glad she's gone b/c I felt the only purpose she served on the show was to be "potential" love interest for Riggs. 

• Love 2
On 29/11/2018 at 10:12 AM, Happy Harpy said:

I liked her, so bring it on while the show lasts! It isn't easy to play the "woman with authority" and be sympathetic because the type is too often written as humorless. It wasn't the case here and I appreciated what the actress did with the role. She and SWS have good chemistry and I agree, the characters fit well.

After a less-than-palatable love triangle on The Resident, color me shocked when LW actually wrote one as well as possible. Cole made a mistake, Natalie made a mistake, but I wasn't told it didn't matter because Andrew has flaws or suddenly turned into a jerk. He was even the more sympathetic of the lot. I liked how he didn't hit Cole not because Cole didn't deserve it but indeed because it isn't him. Cole screwed up and was selfish, Natalie screwed up and was selfish but they weren't rewarded for it and since I felt free to judge them, I was more prone to understand where they came from and appreciate their efforts to patch it up. I could like Cole/Maggie as a couple but I'm more relieved they didn't ruin the characters, than anything. I was never comfortable with the fact that she wasn't single.

I have a feeling, though, that Andrew is going to die later in the season.

The COTW was hilarious, and so was the girls' night. Cole crashing it, LOL. Loved the ending with Cole and Murtaugh.

I agree with all of this.

First of all, the show keeps nailing it with the female characters. After giving us a fully humanized, funny but serious when it counts, and multi-dimensional woman in Natalie (who, on paper, could have easily been the nagging ex), they also gave us a sympathetic, appealing and funny woman in a position of power, without sacrificing her authority or the fact her job can sometimes put her at odds with our leads. So well done. I must applaud both actresses, because they instantly brought it, but the writing itself is also helping a lot. I was a little worried in the first Erica scene, when she and Cole started squabbling and it all felt like a generic meet-cute between two people who will spend the next 10 episodes arguing due to basic misunderstandings, but her mom being on speaker instantly made Erica seem more real, in a weird way. And the fact she witnessed his self-sacrificing moment? That allowed her to realize that Cole is, in fact, a decent guy (as opposed to the smart-ass he sometimes tries to appear as). I also appreciated the way she called him out on blowing it (with the breadsticks lol), but her main reaction was disappointment. Instead of acting bitter or angry, she legitimately seemed sad she had failed to deliver justice. I just liked her, and she really did have instant chemistry with SWS.

And the Natalie/Andrew/Cole scenario? What a great resolution. They had set this up, when Natalie kept saying "he's always made me crazy." She had a moment of weakness. And, let's be honest, SWS's passionate pleas must have really been hard to resist. But I appreciated that she came to her senses, and also that Cole was so mature about it. As was Andrew (another character who was quickly humanized and given a bit of depth in a short amount of time).

The Case of the Week guy was amazing. He brought such life to the role, and his scenes with Damon Wayans were amazing. It was so fun to see two actors who are both so gifted in comedy. He had quite a bit of screentime, and yet I wanted more, lol.

And, I will say it again, Seann William Scott is so good. SO good. He made me cry at the end. Truly. He is so compelling. And he never overacts. He's always hitting just the right tone, which on a show like Lethal Weapon is very important, since it dabbles between flat-out comedy and dark drama. Like, his Girls Night moment? Hilarity! His speech to Natalie, though? The tears! I seriously adore his portrayal, and I have found myself rewatching some scenes, to catch the nuances in his performance (what?). Lovely work.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

And, I will say it again, Seann William Scott is so good. SO good. He made me cry at the end. Truly. He is so compelling. And he never overacts. He's always hitting just the right tone, which on a show like Lethal Weapon is very important, since it dabbles between flat-out comedy and dark drama. Like, his Girls Night moment? Hilarity! His speech to Natalie, though? The tears! I seriously adore his portrayal, and I have found myself rewatching some scenes, to catch the nuances in his performance (what?). Lovely work.

I am loving SWS in this role, which says something cuz I LOVED Clayne Crawford. I wish they would retire off Murtaugh and take his nagging wife with him. I used to like her but she is getting over the top bossy with me. I really hope they don't cancel the show cuz Country Mac is killing it in this role! Can we just bring C Crawford back, maybe as an unknown twin brother of Riggs to partner with him? 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mccartygirl said:

I am loving SWS in this role, which says something cuz I LOVED Clayne Crawford. I wish they would retire off Murtaugh and take his nagging wife with him. I used to like her but she is getting over the top bossy with me. I really hope they don't cancel the show cuz Country Mac is killing it in this role! Can we just bring C Crawford back, maybe as an unknown twin brother of Riggs to partner with him? 

I think I was fortunate in that I've never seen him in any other role other than part of a movie with Dwayne Johnson that I didn't even watch all the way through. I had no expectations one way or the other so I am glad that he has turned out to be such a great addition to the cast. It's just me but I have no regrets about clayne Crawford not being here nor do I want to see him back in any other role on the show. I actually think it's a better show without him, not because of any internal conflict, but just because I don't think that the Riggs character had great writing and stories which is only been highlighted by the direction they decide to go with in Cole. Although I know it was supposed to be modeled after the movies even in the movies Mel Gibson played his crazy in a different way that was more comedic then tortured.  a lot of the Riggs was just too dark for me for this type of show and it got so heavy that it weighed it down. I agree with the poster who talked about Jordana being an unnecessary piece. I often wondered why she was even on the show, but then again I've always wondered the same thing in the Fast & Furious franchise

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

My only thought on this episode, the playoffs are huge, overcrowded events in big arenas.

I only had this on for parts of the ending, and didn't hear that it was supposed to be the playoffs, but if that's the case, wow, the Lethal Weapon calendar is really off. They do know hockey playoffs are in the spring, right? And if I saw correctly, it was Kings/ Rangers, which would mean the last round, since they're in different conferences. Has the show indicated that it's late May/ early June in-universe, or do they just know nothing about hockey?

Edited by dargosmydaddy
1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

My only thought on this episode, the playoffs are huge, overcrowded events in big arenas. What are the odds everyone would see each other. 

I would just head canon that he was a big fan and connected season ticket holder who had his seat and they knew about their target 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Raja said:

I would just head canon that he was a big fan and connected season ticket holder who had his seat and they knew about their target 

It wasn't just finding that guy. Cole ends up chasing a bad guy right where his ex's seats were. 

On 11/30/2018 at 4:08 PM, Princess Lucky said:

I agree with all of this.

First of all, the show keeps nailing it with the female characters. After giving us a fully humanized, funny but serious when it counts, and multi-dimensional woman in Natalie (who, on paper, could have easily been the nagging ex), they also gave us a sympathetic, appealing and funny woman in a position of power, without sacrificing her authority or the fact her job can sometimes put her at odds with our leads. So well done. I must applaud both actresses, because they instantly brought it, but the writing itself is also helping a lot. I was a little worried in the first Erica scene, when she and Cole started squabbling and it all felt like a generic meet-cute between two people who will spend the next 10 episodes arguing due to basic misunderstandings, but her mom being on speaker instantly made Erica seem more real, in a weird way. And the fact she witnessed his self-sacrificing moment? That allowed her to realize that Cole is, in fact, a decent guy (as opposed to the smart-ass he sometimes tries to appear as). I also appreciated the way she called him out on blowing it (with the breadsticks lol), but her main reaction was disappointment. Instead of acting bitter or angry, she legitimately seemed sad she had failed to deliver justice. I just liked her, and she really did have instant chemistry with SWS.

And the Natalie/Andrew/Cole scenario? What a great resolution. They had set this up, when Natalie kept saying "he's always made me crazy." She had a moment of weakness. And, let's be honest, SWS's passionate pleas must have really been hard to resist. But I appreciated that she came to her senses, and also that Cole was so mature about it. As was Andrew (another character who was quickly humanized and given a bit of depth in a short amount of time).

The Case of the Week guy was amazing. He brought such life to the role, and his scenes with Damon Wayans were amazing. It was so fun to see two actors who are both so gifted in comedy. He had quite a bit of screentime, and yet I wanted more, lol.

So true!

What a great episode!  I loved the new ADA and hope she is a permanent addition.  I was not familiar with Seann William Scott other than seeing scenes from his movies through the years.  Most of his movies didn't appeal to me but my kids would watch them so I couldn't avoid him altogether.  He really is very good in this and I also think his addition has changed the show in a good way.  The stories aren't so tortured with all the Riggs bs which really weighed down the whole show.

I hope we get to see Vincent again because he was great with both Cole and Murtaugh.

• Love 3

Until we met the new ADA, I figured they'd reunite Natalie and Cole. The boyfriend wasn't a throwaway, but also wasn't given much dimension or air time. Plus they've written her to be a well-defined character, played by a solid actress, so seemed like she might take on a bigger role. But as soon as I saw how they were writing Cole + the ADA -- and the chemistry between them -- I was like welp that's it, Natalie's going to turn him down and this will be the next love interest. (Maybe they'll surprise me and just have a woman who stands on her own without being a love interest. They do a good job with Bailey on that, Scorcese's obsession notwithstanding. Though maybe that's not a good thing -- it's often been noted that black women characters are less likely to be written as love interests.) As much as I wanted Cole to be happy, Natalie is making a good choice. She might have also been happy with Cole in another time or place, but she's already with someone she loves and has for a long time right.

Agree that the maitre'd was a great character, he brought a lot of lightness and fun.

This show is so much more watchable now. Less angst. I'll have to go check and see if we've learned any more about its future.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 1

I started watching this show again once I read that Clayne Crawford was out. Damon Wayans can go as well.  Seann William Scott was a great casting choice.  

That said, I'm glad the show isn't going there with Natalie and Cole.  Whether they go there with the DA or not, I much prefer the actress. 

• Love 1