Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Book of Rebellion, Chapter One: Exodus

• Start Topic

The Pierce family is reeling in the wake of Jennifer's disappearance. Jefferson, Lynn, and Anissa all gather to discuss the most effective way to find her. After learning that Jennifer is with Khalil, Lynn goes to Detective Henderson to ask him to issue a warrant for Khalil's arrest. Meanwhile, Jennifer and Khalil are doing their best to stay off the grid, but Tobias's new henchwoman Cutter is closing in on them.

Airing Tuesday, December 4, 2018.

Gambi with the whole "I'm sorry I faked my death and kept it from you, Anissa, so here is a badass motorbike for you!" save!  Jefferson apparently just had to settle for that hug, but at least he can still fly, so it's all good, right?!

Yeah, no way was Jen and Khalil's escape not going to end with a lot of yelling, explosions, and knife battles.  But, hey, Khalil got a haircut!

Man, Jen is going to be pissed if/when she returns and sees what Lynn did to her room!

How Tobias is able to shit-talk all of these hired assassins and not get stabbed is superpower by itself!

• Love 5

Yay! Somebody finally did something about Khalil's stupid hair. "You look like Whoopie Goldberg." And with that, Jennifer became my new favorite.

I'm pretty sure that Khalil's aunt died, and I'm pretty sure Khalil is the one who accidently killed her. It looked like he hit her in the back with one of his darts. Are those things fatal?

Heh, Jennifer throws her light ball like my mom throws a basketball.

Thank GOD Jennifer hacked off that Whoppi Goldberg hair! That makes her the true hero of this whole story! 

I hope that Khalils aunt didnt just die, she seemed nice. Yeah, I knew this teen runaway stuff was going to end badly, and Jenns family would totally lose their shit. Jenn is gonna be super pissed when she gets home, her mom destroyed her room! 

Nothing like a badass new bike as a "sprry I faked my own death" gift from Uncle Gambi! Smooth as butter, that man. 

• Love 1

Holy crap, that painting of Tobias's sister(?) was awful.  And what happened to Khalil's super strength?  He can throw a man the length of a bar and jump 15 feet in the air but he gets his arms pinned by a couple of knives in a kitchen table?  Not to mention being overpowered by a skinny chick with a few martial arts moves.  Were they going for a Samson and Delilah analogy because he got his hair cut?

If Jennifer thought her parents were being too strict with her before, wait till she sees the grounding she gets after running off with Khalil the criminal.

And does anyone think those three-wheeled bikes are cool?  The only people I see riding those are middle-aged men.  

Despite my carping, I think this show is possibly the best one of all the CW superhero shows.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Rockstar99435 said:

I'm pretty sure that Khalil's aunt died, and I'm pretty sure Khalil is the one who accidently killed her. It looked like he hit her in the back with one of his darts. Are those things fatal?

He definitely hit her with one of his darts.  I can't decide if she's dead or not.  If she were, I think the scene in the woods between Jenn and Khalil would have had a bit less romantic overtone; Jenn would know if she were dead since she dragged her out of the line of fire and would hopefully have said something to Khalil.  I also hope she isn't dead.

I guess the woman who almost killed Khalil has some kind of super strength?  That's all I've got for her being able to pin Khalil down.  I did like Jeff and Anissa showing up to save the day.

Anissa was right on the money for telling Jeff and Lynn that they treated Jenn like there was something wrong with her.  After a little angst, Anissa's been embraced.  The therapy is good but Jenn needs training and communication, like Anissa received.  I hate to say it but Jenn and Khalil were working for me when they were using their powers to help each other.  Khalil did act like an ass earlier with the phone but he realized it and apologized.

I have a bad feeling Khalil is doomed.  No way Tobias lets him get away.  Khalil will either die or be sent far, far away.

I got a laugh out of Black Lighting using his powers to disrupt the not-the-couple-he-thought-they-were.  I always appreciate humor.

• Love 2
On 12/5/2018 at 9:49 PM, raven said:

I have a bad feeling Khalil is doomed.  No way Tobias lets him get away.  Khalil will either die or be sent far, far away.

Oh, I'm pretty sure he's doomed, but while I thought he would end up dead, now I'm thinking him losing the use of his legs and getting away from Freeland is another option.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:58 AM, AnimeMania said:

I don't think she is dead, I almost think Khalil shot her on purpose so that the thrown knife would miss her.

Yeah, I'm 90% sure they explained that his darts are tranq darts last season. I don't think the aunt is dead, or I don't think Jen would have bothered (or be too freaked out) to pull her out of the way.

Props to the show for showing Auntie in her headtie!

This was more of an action episode than a plot episode; liked that they're able to have some humor along with everything else.

• Love 1

I knew something would happen to Auntie the minute she told Jen and Khalil they could stay. I do not understand why she opened the door for the assasin. If a stranger knocks on my door and I’m not expecting anyone, I’m not letting them in. I wish they would have confirmed if she was dead or not.

It looks like Tobias might be close to figuring out Black Lightning’s identity. I’m glad the show lets characters be smart.

• Love 1

Forgot to comment about this,

1 hour ago, BaggythePanther said:

It looks like Tobias might be close to figuring out Black Lightning’s identity. I’m glad the show lets characters be smart.

Figured this might happen eventually, but I don't know if I want it to happen so soon -- this season. I feel like they'd have to get rid of Tobias once that happened. But I'm also glad they're letting him be smart.

I totally buy into Jen and Khalil as a couple; I'm so glad it's not just written as teen angst crap. I'm glad Jen is finally embracing her anger and her powers.

My least favorite parts were poor Khalil's aunt and Lynn as a mean drunk. Realistically when I look at the parenting skills of Jeff and Lynn, they're not good parents at all. I think Jeff is actually a better parent to his students and Ghambi is a better parent to Anissa.

Out of the CW shows, this is the only one I watch. I think it hits social issues that resonate with me more based on current events.

For me, this season is good but I really want a new villain. I think Tobias's story is played out.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:25 PM, cdnalor said:

I think this show is possibly the best one of all the CW superhero shows.  

Legends of Tomorrow is completely different, but also excellent.  It's one of the few shows where they write the character beats, then write the plot to match, as opposed to the other way around.

• Love 2
On 12/5/2018 at 8:49 PM, raven said:

Anissa was right on the money for telling Jeff and Lynn that they treated Jenn like there was something wrong with her.  After a little angst, Anissa's been embraced.  The therapy is good but Jenn needs training and communication, like Anissa received. 

That statement is a very generous revision by Anissa of what actually happened. Jeff and Lynn told Jenn the truth. They talked about her learning to use her powers with Jeff and Anissa, which Jennifer objected to because she didn't want anything to do with them. Jenn just wanted them gone. And every time they mentioned her powers, Jenn would freak out and lose control of them. They kept her out of school, but let her keep in touch with her friends. When her friend mentions people with powers, Jenn loses it and could have killed her friend. Jeff and Lynn send Jenn to therapist to learn how to use her powers. Jenn is truculent, resistant, and petulant during their sessions. Her parents don't push, but do ask Jenn how her sessions are going. She's still snotty and not really in control of her powers.

Jenn is the person who has always behaved as if there was something wrong with her because she had powers. Her family has given her multiple opportunities and mechanisms to learn how to use her powers. Her response has pretty much always been the same--she doesn't want to learn how to use them because she doesn't want them. Nor have her parents chastised her for not knowing how to use her powers. What usually happens is that she'll fail to have any control over her powers in a very significant way, snot about wanting to go back to school, and then stomp upstairs and pout.

If your kid was 16 and somehow managed to pass their license test, but always got into a car accident every time they drove the car, you'd never give them the keys again. If you gave them the opportunity to practice with family or an instructor until they were competent, but they clapped back they had a license, you still wouldn't have to let them use the car. That's Jennifer. And just because Jennifer has demonstrated that she can control her powers under pressure doesn't mean that Jeff and Lynn were remotely in the wrong or have come anywhere close to treating Jenn the was Anissa described.

Jeff and Lynn have never treated Jenn's powers like a curse or a deficit. When her parents tried talking to her about her powers, she freaks out and refuses to talk about the situation. Jenn is the person who has hated her powers and felt like they were a curse. Her first questions about her powers where about whether she could or should have children because of them. So I'm kinda pissed at this show for even dignifying this bullshit by having Anissa give voice to revisionist nonsense.

• Love 4