Type keyword(s) to search

Elizabeth Webber: Forever The Manipulative Miss Or Adorable Angel?

• Start Topic

the reason why I can't stand Liz while I can marginally stand some other horrible characters is because I just hate BH's acting style and her voice. She is just so whiny and the character of Liz already comes off whiny and smug enough as it is without BH adding to it with her constant bitch face and baby voice.

I get it, although I don't feel that way. There are a few people on the show I just find a trial to listen to (Kelly Monaco) or watch and listen to (Michelle Stafford always, Emme Rylan often), and I fear it's always going to keep me from getting into their stories or finding them sympathetic when I am supposed to. I used to think Becky overdid the baby voice, especially in the "Why doesn't the Jacob Young Lucky remember our great love?" years, but I think she has improved a lot in that regard and plays it more befitting a mature woman now. The bitchface I just kind of enjoy.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ulkis said:

I don't think anyone (well, most people) think Liz/Griffin would be all that great. Just anything would be better than Franco.

At this point I think Griffin should be off the show. 

IIC constantly bring on actors with no thought to their characters and whether or not their needed on the show.  Richard Burgi is gone and it made no sense to trash his character from day one!  MC and RB have primetime fans and these clowns could not find a way to write for the actors?!

19 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

I will say this for SBu, he always acknowledged Jason's previous relationships in scenes.

I mean, long-term I would have wanted AJ/Carly because I think, in the long-term, that's the more compelling story/chemistry. 

I liked the idea of Matt/Liz before he was sent to prison but I think there's actually better story for them now. He'd be dangerous/damaged enough to appeal to Liz without being a SERIAL KILLER or a career criminal.  

To be fair, I started to move off the Quiz train the second Carly and Nik were added to the story.  RC sucked most of the time when it came to romance.

• Love 1

Agreed. Although, I think he wasn't terrible at romance on OLTL and I think in his first year the romances weren't as bad. 

I really think "writing romance" comes down to the script writers. The development of a relationship is a matter of the interactions and conversations that they have - conversations about who they are and what they want, their history and hopes. Doing that with any sort of depth requires writers who are familiar with the couple. 

I'd like to see what good writers could do with Liz/Griffin - or my preference* - Liz/Matt

*Assuming JJ!Lucky isn't an option 

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

When Jason came back as 'Jake Doe,' she didn't want him in Sonny's world, and tensed up when he talked about unexpectedly being involved in a violent situation/shooting. She was a supporter of him turning his back on his professional life, and devoting himself to her and her kids.

Liz said that she didn't tell the truth because Jakeson would belong to Sonny, Sam and Carly but not to her - she didn't say anything about the violence or the crime. She put up a token resistance when he started working for Julian and when there was a sad little mob war, she sent her children away so Jakeson wouldn't push her away.  

Liz was always at least somewhat in denial about what Jason did for a living and what that said about him as a person. 

Really? Liz has dug bullet holes out of this man on more than one occasion. When she and Jason broke up pre-Copkilla, Liz broke up with him because he left her out in the cold and didn't tell her that Sonny had faked his death in a mob hit. When they actually did get together post-Jake, their entire relationship was conducted in a safe-house. This was, of course, before her child was kidnapped by the Russian mob because everybody, except Lucky, knew Jacob Martin's biological parentage. 

Jason is the one with brain damage, Liz doesn't have that excuse. She knows who and what he was, always has

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 7

I remember Liz taking care of Jason when he'd been shot, on more than one occasion. I felt like wanting Jason away from the work and violence was implied when she said he would belong to Sam, Jason, Carly - because Jason consistently prioritized loyalty to the the work/saving S&C's kids from enemies over relationships.  When Liz and SBu's Jason were together, Liz planned a romantic dinner for them at her house. He called her and basically said, "Something came up. I'm not coming. Gotta go, sorry." She hung up, got angry (tears and all), and threw something. Not long after that, at the hospital, Liz was on duty and Sam was there briefly and Liz said yeah, I'm upset, Jason and I had plans and he canceled on me. Sam's reaction was "Been there. Jason's married to his job. That's what you get with him."

I remember her freakout when BM's Jason, and her sending the boys away. She really hit a sad, isolated, lonely and desperate point in her life with the Jake Doe storyline - and it continues with Franco.  It sucks that all Liz's friends and family (except for her ex's mom, aunt and sister) have  been written off the show. She "chooses" Franco because she has nobody.

Anyway, Elizabeth knows he's been involved in shoot-outs because he worked for Sonny. I'm talking about denial that his job involved executing people, and he didn't feel remorse about it. I'm referring to moments like when he was in lockup because Alcazar had been murdered (Jake was a baby at the time). She had a line about wanting to believe/wanting him to assure her he did not kill Alcazar, but somehow knew better than to ask. Later, Ric was giving her a hard time about protecting a murderer, and her reaction was defiant/defensive, like "The jury found him not guilty."  I remember another line (I think she was pregnant with Jake?) where she said something like Jason's work 'doesn't touch his soul." When they got together, they were at Liz's one night, I think in a hotel room in the Metrocourt one night, and then the safehouse.  The reasoning was "because Sonny and Jason have enemies" not specifically because "Jason has murdered people, and their associates want revenge." IMO, over the years the show has written Liz as thinking Sonny is the one capable of being cold-blooded, whereas Jason has been involved in illegal things with Sonny that sometimes involve shoot-outs, but he's not *actually* a cold-blooded murderer.  For example, she wasn't there when Jason was saying he wanted Dante/Dominic dead. She wasn't there when he was discussing with Sam how to murder Claudia.

• Love 1

Elizabeth told Jason at the safehouse that he was not his job and she clearly knew what he did for a living.  Bottom line, GH is filled with mobsters and folks that kill people as the romantic leads!

The rape mention aside, hasn't it always been said here (and in other places) that the cheated-on party should be angrier at, and harsher with, the cheating party than he or she should be at and with the cheated-with party?  Whether male or female, the cheater should feel more wrath from the party on whom he or she cheated.  So Lucky should've been angrier with Elizabeth than Nikolas.

==================

The above is from the main GH thread.

My feeling is that Elizabeth was never allowed to read Lucky for filth when he slept with Sarah, Maxie and Sam and had to take the troll back over and over.  LnL2 were done IMO after the Jake reveal and should have moved on, permanently.  No more permanent teenage lock BS.

5 hours ago, Darklazr said:

The rape mention aside, hasn't it always been said here (and in other places) that the cheated-on party should be angrier at, and harsher with, the cheating party than he or she should be at and with the cheated-with party?  Whether male or female, the cheater should feel more wrath from the party on whom he or she cheated.  So Lucky should've been angrier with Elizabeth than Nikolas.

==================

The above is from the main GH thread.

My feeling is that Elizabeth was never allowed to read Lucky for filth when he slept with Sarah, Maxie and Sam and had to take the troll back over and over.  LnL2 were done IMO after the Jake reveal and should have moved on, permanently.  No more permanent teenage lock BS.

She did lie to Lucky for months about being Jake's biological father until Sam outed the secret.  She can either have a secret love child with Jason or read Lucky for filth for Maxie and Sam, but she would look like a hypocritical bitch or like Carly if she did both without Lucky knowing about Jake that instead of confronting him about Maxie, she and went and conceived Jake with Jason that night.  I think that can be just as cruel as reading someone for filth, maybe even crueler. One thing in Lucky's tirade against Liz over the Niz affair was that he thought that Liz and him and forgiven each other for their affairs, but this new affair with Nik of all people showed to him, she had not forgiven him, which was the only relevant line in his Niz confrontation. In general she can be a very passive aggressive person and I wonder if her rape played a role in that behavior.

If Liz couldn't trust Lucky after everything that had happened that would be fair, but Liz took Lucky back and Lucky was under the impression that they were going to make a fresh start. 

While in general cheating party should get the majority of vitriol, Nik is Lucky's brother and Lucky thought he had a really good relationship with him, and Nik pulls that on him. If anything I think Lucky should have been angrier with Nik than Liz, because him and Liz had had problems in their recent past, but Nik and Lucky had apparently been fine despite the rough start to their relationship. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

She did lie to Lucky for months about being Jake's biological father until Sam outed the secret.  She can either have a secret love child with Jason or read Lucky for filth for Maxie and Sam, but she would look like a hypocritical bitch or like Carly if she did both without Lucky knowing about Jake that instead of confronting him about Maxie, she and went and conceived Jake with Jason that night.  I think that can be just as cruel as reading someone for filth, maybe even crueler. One thing in Lucky's tirade against Liz over the Niz affair was that he thought that Liz and him and forgiven each other for their affairs, but this new affair with Nik of all people showed to him, she had not forgiven him, which was the only relevant line in his Niz confrontation. In general she can be a very passive aggressive person and I wonder if her rape played a role in that behavior.

If Liz couldn't trust Lucky after everything that had happened that would be fair, but Liz took Lucky back and Lucky was under the impression that they were going to make a fresh start. 

While in general cheating party should get the majority of vitriol, Nik is Lucky's brother and Lucky thought he had a really good relationship with him, and Nik pulls that on him. If anything I think Lucky should have been angrier with Nik than Liz, because him and Liz had had problems in their recent past, but Nik and Lucky had apparently been fine despite the rough start to their relationship. 

Thank you.

• Love 1

Yeah, I wouldn't have some of the issues I have with Liz had she just decided the mess with Maxie and Jason was too much to get past. But she went to Lucky wanting another chance. She agreed to remarry Lucky and, when she did so - when pregnant with another man's kid even as Lucky believed that baby was his - spent the ceremony locking eyes with freaking Jason during the VOWS.

Lucky did a lot of bad shit. But he didn't deserve that. Nor did he deserve Liz and Nik playing hide the salami behind his back. Frankly, I think both Liz and Nik got off easy, even with Lucky's tirade.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Frankly, I think both Liz and Nik got off easy, even with Lucky's tirade.

I agree that Nik got off easy. Way too easy. But Elizabeth was screamed at it a public place by more than one person, and her relationship with Lucky was ruined for a long time. What else should have happened? I'm genuinely curious.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Elizabeth is practically Satan incarnate for sleeping with Nik, yet Sonny can waltz around town after killing AJ none the worse for wear. I know AJ was fat, but still.

That was true at the time, but it's not like anyone gives a shit now. And no one cares anymore that Liz lied about Jason for months. So basically the same as what happens with Sonny. And everyone else really. That's such a problem with the show. They need to stop having lead characters do unforgivable shit if they're not going to follow through on it in the long run.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3
On 4/16/2017 at 3:47 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

Once again, Elizabeth never screamed a bunch of shit at Lucky for sleeping with Sarah, Maxie or Sam behind her back and it has nothing to do with Jake.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't have some of the issues I have with Liz had she just decided the mess with Maxie and Jason was too much to get past. But she went to Lucky wanting another chance. She agreed to remarry Lucky and, when she did so - when pregnant with another man's kid even as Lucky believed that baby was his - spent the ceremony locking eyes with freaking Jason during the VOWS.

Lucky did a lot of bad shit. But he didn't deserve that. Nor did he deserve Liz and Nik playing hide the salami behind his back. Frankly, I think both Liz and Nik got off easy, even with Lucky's tirade.

I disagree.  Lucky is the one that talked Elizabeth into another chance after Liason NOP when she went back to their apartment and said he would get clean, so she agreed to stay in the marriage.  Yes, Elizabeth should have told an unstable drug addict that she slept with Jason while he was screwing Maxie in their marital bed.  Right. Lucky manipulated Elizabeth into getting engaged after she found out from Cruz that her ex was in a bad shape after the hotel robbery.  I, personally, would have told Lucky to take a hike after he slept with Sarah back in 2002.

LnL2 were over after their divorce in 2007 and then came the toxic ball, Rebecca and carnival crap and then Lucky is suddenly asking Elizabeth to marry him, again.  Sheesh.  Elizabeth and Nik were playing tonsil hockey which was all kinds of nasty and gross.

My point is, Elizabeth has never screamed nasty crap at Lucky about being the guy that can't keep his pants zipped.

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

That was true at the time, but it's not like anyone gives a shit now. And no one cares anymore that Liz lied about Jason for months. So basically the same as what happens with Sonny. And everyone else really. That's such a problem with the show. They need to stop having lead characters do unforgivable shit if they're not going to follow through on it in the long run.

I want ALL characters history to be mentioned over the course of the entire show and NOT dropped due to IIC pets or gets.  Elizabeth's past should not be bandied about or slammed in her face by some newbie that was NOT on the show, period.  

Edited by Darklazr
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

They need to stop having lead characters do unforgivable shit if they're not going to follow through on it in the long run.

I get your point, but cheating on your fiancé is less problematic than murdering your son's bio father. Lucky is the only person who should still be upset with Elizabeth, and he's not on the show anymore. She's stuck with Franco, a SERIAL KILLER—isn't that punishment enough? (Only half-joking.) 

Elizabeth has gotten more grief for her affair than Sonny has for killing AJ. I just want some kind of relativity. 

It's pronounced brus-KETTA, people. Gah. 

• Love 4
On 4/16/2017 at 6:47 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

She did lie to Lucky for months about being Jake's biological father until Sam outed the secret.  She can either have a secret love child with Jason or read Lucky for filth 

but Liz took Lucky back and Lucky was under the impression that they were going to make a fresh start. 

Nik is Lucky's brother and Lucky thought he had a really good relationship with him, and Nik pulls that on him. If anything I think Lucky should have been angrier with Nik than Liz, 

Yes, Liz lied to Lucky about Jake for months - after Lucky (while still unstable) said over and over and over again to Liz as well as others that he was going to get clean because Liz and the baby meant everything to him. He presented the "family" image as his only motivation to walk away from drugs.  Then, as Elizabeth was thinking about what to say to Lucky, Luke went to see her and said Laura's forgiveness/getting past the terrible things he (Luke) had done allowed them to move forward and create a good family life. Liz then had a line about how she'd admired/loved Laura for a long time. So yes, Liz continued to lie, but that wasn't a decision made 'in a bubble' so to speak - she had pressure from Lucky and his family to suck it up and give Lucky a happy family regardless of what she had been through. Lulu was outraged to find out Liz had been intimate with Jason for a night, knowing full well her brother had been cheating on Liz for months. Under those circumstances, how could Liz read Lucky for filth? Then when Lucky (GV) found out, he called Liz a whore and got pissy with Nikolas for telling him not to judge Liz too harshly, reminding him of his affair with Maxie and that she saw him with Maxie. Some viewers may remember that Liz was not exactly having fun regarding the 'secret love child with Jason.' 

Yes, Lucky thought they were going to make a fresh start, but IMO it's because he hung onto the fantasy of  thinking the relationship they once had could be forced into the present reality. That time Liz thought their relationship could 'save' her from her own darkness, and Lucky could see she was perpetually tense, struggling, even crying (not for joy) when he gave her the diamond.

I agree that Lucky should have been angrier with Nik. And that line that he would always love the "precious little girl" he found, crawling out of the bushes after her rape, was loathsome. That never should have made it onto the broadcast.

• Love 3
On 4/17/2017 at 0:44 PM, dubbel zout said:

Hee.

The show is terrible at relativism. Elizabeth is practically Satan incarnate for sleeping with Nik, yet Sonny can waltz around town after killing AJ none the worse for wear. I know AJ was fat, but still.

I think that Liz suffered a good amount after Niz was exposed. Lulu yelling at Liz at her place of work was too much for me, as well as Carly and Lulu cackling about it at Joss' christening, with the laughable assertion Carly somehow owns her behavior.

On 4/17/2017 at 6:40 PM, Darklazr said:

I disagree.  Lucky is the one that talked Elizabeth into another chance after Liason NOP when she went back to their apartment and said he would get clean, so she agreed to stay in the marriage.  Yes, Elizabeth should have told an unstable drug addict that she slept with Jason while he was screwing Maxie in their marital bed.  Right. Lucky manipulated Elizabeth into getting engaged after she found out from Cruz that her ex was in a bad shape after the hotel robbery.  I, personally, would have told Lucky to take a hike after he slept with Sarah back in 2002.

LnL2 were over after their divorce in 2007 and then came the toxic ball, Rebecca and carnival crap and then Lucky is suddenly asking Elizabeth to marry him, again.  Sheesh.  Elizabeth and Nik were playing tonsil hockey which was all kinds of nasty and gross.

My point is, Elizabeth has never screamed nasty crap at Lucky about being the guy that can't keep his pants zipped.

I want ALL characters history to be mentioned over the course of the entire show and NOT dropped due to IIC pets or gets.  Elizabeth's past should not be bandied about or slammed in her face by some newbie that was NOT on the show, period.  

Yes, she should have told a drug addict that the baby she was carrying wasn't his when he was checked into rehab and the confession could have been mediated by counselors, so he would be in an environment where he could deal with the shock.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I think that Liz suffered a good amount after Niz was exposed. Lulu yelling at Liz at her place of work was too much for me, as well as Carly and Lulu cackling about it at Joss' christening, with the laughable assertion Carly somehow owns her behavior.

Yes, she should have told a drug addict that the baby she was carrying wasn't his when he was checked into rehab and the confession could have been mediated by counselors, so he would be in an environment where he could deal with the shock.

That would have worked for me in freeing Lucky of Liz (I was done with her and LL2 when she shredded evidence against Jason in the police station after using Lucky to gain access) and his constant losing out to Jason.

Jason has just ruined so much about this show. Liz is just one of his many victims.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

She looks even younger in those pics than she does on GH. Also, her oldest son looks like he's mid teens so why the fuck won't they just soras Cam, dammit!

LOL.  BH has found the fountain of youth.  What's the point of SORASing Cam if he's going to end up looking his mother's age or older?!

2 hours ago, Darklazr said:

LOL.  BH has found the fountain of youth.  What's the point of SORASing Cam if he's going to end up looking his mother's age or older?!

That doesn't matter when it comes to story though. Lots of the parents look the same age as the children on this show. Besides, unless they cast BH's son with a 35 year old, it should be fine.

• Love 2

Right!

I don't get why they won't SORAS Cam. There is such great story to be mined with him as a teen. I mean these writers aren't actually capable of writing it, but still. I guess it's just because TPTB don't give a flying fuck about Liz.

• Love 1

They haven't figured out how to make SORASed Cam about Franco. 

Obviously, SORAS!Cam would love Franco but if TIIC haven't figured out how to use Cam to burnish the murderhobo's halo, there's no point in having him onscreen

• Love 2

BH's real-life eldest son, I believe, is 15 or 16, so why the show won't age Cam is a mystery. Liz's kids have inherited Lulu Syndrome: From Little Kid for 50 years (or so it seems) until one day, they are just a late teen/adult. So there may be another decade to go until the adult part is in play.

I think it boils down to the show not really wanting to write preteen or teen stories, because it has been years since we saw TJ, Molly, Felix's sister brief storyline under RC.   The regime also like the actors that play Emma and Spencer and don't seem interested in SORASing them or Cam.  Jake has been de-SOSAR'd and looks seven.

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

How old should Liz's kid actually be?

Let's see.   Cam was born in 2004 while BH was on maternity leave.   Jake was born in 2007 and Aiden was born in 2010 while BH was on maternity leave.

Guza effed up and SORAS'd Michael, Krissy, Molly and Morgan at the same time, instead of allowing the latter two to be aged up with Cam and Spencer who was born in 2006.   I have no problem with SORASing if done with some thought in mind and for the next generation.

The show brought on Elizabeth and Sarah and threw them in the teen scene with Emily, Lucky and Nik.  FV's team is too consumed with constant baby stories and no thought in the next preteen and teen scene of Cam, Spencer, Emma, Josselyn and Jake.

It's sort of ironic that Elizabeth's kids haven't been SORASed properly, because they had some actual story reasons to exist. They weren't necessarily good story reasons, but they were better than giving Sabrina her kids and Olivia Leo simply because both actors were pregnant IRL.

• Love 2

I always thought Cam should have died during the monkey virus or accidentally eating one of Lucky's pills.  Yeah.  Curly haired Cam and his bitch face was awesome.  However, Guza saddled a young character like Elizabeth with five (Ric, Zander, Jax, Jason and Lucky) baby stories was lazy, AF.  

16 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Charybdis should have been SORASED with Morgan/Molly then DNAJ/Emma/Spencer/Joss

Cam should have died during the monkey storyline or eating one of Lucky's pills.   The show never once had Lucky legally adopt Cam like we saw with Sonny/Michael and it clearly indicated to me that they could care less about this kid.  

Becky is a little more than a month away from her 20-year anniversary on General Hospital, and except for maternity leaves and brief breaks while contract issues were being worked out, she's been a consistent presence over that time.   

I was thinking about all the actors she's worked closely with in that time, as love interests, close friends, rivals, siblings, whom both Liz and real Becky have had to say goodbye to. Some actors (JJ, TC, SBu) she's lost as co-stars more than once. I guess she missed some of them more than others, but she's outlasted too many people to list. If you go back and look at Liz clips from pretty much any point from a year ago to 20 years ago, you're going to see her in scenes with people who are gone or going.  

• Love 2

She also was away very briefly in 2011, when she was sick with viral meningitis (ironically almost right after her job was saved after she was briefly let go). Martha Madison--the "other" Belle from DAYS--took over during that time period.

On 6/28/2017 at 3:04 AM, Asp Burger said:

Becky is a little more than a month away from her 20-year anniversary on General Hospital, and except for maternity leaves and brief breaks while contract issues were being worked out, she's been a consistent presence over that time.   

I was thinking about all the actors she's worked closely with in that time, as love interests, close friends, rivals, siblings, whom both Liz and real Becky have had to say goodbye to. Some actors (JJ, TC, SBu) she's lost as co-stars more than once. I guess she missed some of them more than others, but she's outlasted too many people to list. If you go back and look at Liz clips from pretty much any point from a year ago to 20 years ago, you're going to see her in scenes with people who are gone or going.  

It is almost 20 years to the date that a feisty Elizabeth Webber came to town and this show killed off two of the Musketeer's!  I would much rather see the offsprings of the four Musketeers in story and not the current bloated cast featuring FV's pets.

• Love 1

I tend to go with the Andrea Trent Webber explanation on Wikipedia and leave it at that. It's much easier that way.

And are we SURE that Tara Lipinski is an only child (actually, yes we are, but go with me here), because Jennifer Sky could be her older sister. (Speaking of things being 20 years ago, BTW. And the 20th anniversary of her winning the Olympics is next February.)

And Becky has ALWAYS been vocal about how much she has taken care of her skin/shielded it from the sun, and you can see in 1997, it was already true, as she convincingly pulled off 15 at 20 (and now looks great at 40!). Those are some bushy AF eyebrows, though, lol. 

Edited by UYI