Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor (PBS) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Previous recipients have been Richard Pryor (1998), Jonathan Winters (1999), Carl Reiner (2000), Whoopi Goldberg (2001), Bob Newhart (2002), Lily Tomlin (2003), Lorne Michaels (2004), Steve Martin (2005), Neil Simon (2006), Billy Crystal (2007), George Carlin (2008), Bill Cosby (2009), Tina Fey (2010), Will Ferrell (2011), Ellen DeGeneres (2012), and Carol Burnett (2013).  On October 18, the Kennedy Center honored Eddie Murphy.  The broadcast is scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 23 at 9e/8c.  Check your local PBS listings.

Also, PBS Says It Will Include Eddie Murphy’s Entire Bill Cosby Zinger In Mark Twain Prize Broadcast

“Bill has one of these. Did you all make Bill give his back?  I know there was a big outcry from people trying to get Bill to give his trophies back. You know you’re [expletive ]when people want you to give your trophies back,” Murphy snarked as the Kennedy Center crowd is seen guffawing. Added Murphy: “He should do one show where he comes out and talks crazy: “I would like to talk to some of the people who feel that I should give back my [expletive]  trophies!”

P.S.  I thought a thread already existed for this program, but I cannot find it!

• Love 1

That was good up until Eddie's final remarks in his "Bill Cosby" voice. It seems as it was his way of supporting Cosby not "zinging" him. It was just a weird thing to do during a show honoring him.

That said, Eddie was pretty brilliant back in the day.

I really liked it...Except for George Lopez. Why did they give him so much time, but edited down Dave Chappelle's remarks?* It's not like George was killing it up there.

* - Dave wasn't the only one edited down, but his part was the first that came to mind as a prime example.

Edited by revbfc
(edited)

Did anyone watch this?  We just started the show and the opening is Gary Clark Jr. and Bruce singing Come Together.  Now I wish I'd gotten tickets!  Who cares about the rest of the show! 😄

ETA:  The show on the whole was excellent.  Everyone was funny, but mostly we learned what a great guy Jon  is.  Which I guess I sorta knew, but now I know that everyone who works with him loves him.  One of the better KC TV productions, too, so that was good.  

And the music... fabulous.

Edited by ebk57

I thought it was fun. Idina Menzel’s Opera Man Take was hilarious.

Not sure if Adam’s body of work deserves the Mark Twain prize, but he does seem like a genuinely good guy. And Schneider’s version of “Grow Old With You” was so nice that I almost forgot how much I detest him.