Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Just Don't Eat a Fly

The majority of jokes and family dynamic in the show is exactly like that and the dynamic between Robert and Ray is in fact based on Ray's real life brother.

I know that a lot of the stories come from the real life of Romano and also from Phil Rosenthal (his parents apparently are far more Marie and Frank than Ray's parents are) but if that's actually true that they are showing Ray's real life brother in these episodes than if I were him I would be seriously pissed off.  Robert, in the last few seasons is not a nice man, and that's an understatement!

if that's actually true that they are showing Ray's real life brother in these episodes than if I were him I would be seriously pissed off.

I've often thought the same thing. Off topic, but kind of similar, in The Goldbergs, I've heard real life Barry (not sure if that's the brother's actual name) had said that he was unhappy with his portrayal on the show.

"Based on" is different than "100% real life portrayal of." I once heard Ray Romano say they characterized Robert in the way that they did because growing up Ray always received a lot of attention as a kid and it made his brother jealous, even the line "everybody loves Raymond" I think might have come from him. I sense it was more of a fun sibling rivalry between the 2 and nothing more.

• Love 1

Which brother is jealous Robert based on?  Ray has an older brother and a younger brother.  If Ray really was incredibly favoured I wonder why? It's not usually the middle child who comes out ahead in the parental attention sweepstakes!

...if that's actually true that they are showing Ray's real life brother in these episodes than if I were him I would be seriously pissed off.  Robert, in the last few seasons is not a nice man, and that's an understatement!

I wouldn't be thrilled either and I remember reading that he did get a hard time from some of the guys at work and from friends when the show first went on the air.  I think he more than made his peace with it all though considering he got to appear in some episodes and as noted above worked with Ray on a book.  Off topic: I've often wondered what happens in a family like the Romano's which is your basic middle class family when someone hits the stratosphere the way Ray did.  I mean most families have one member who's a little more successful than the rest but what about a family where one member becomes not only hugely famous but hugely rich!   Do the others benefit from the wealth?  I guess it depends on the family of course.  But how weird it must be to live a "regular" life and go visit your brother in his mansion!

She may be based in part on Anna but she's also based at least in part on Monica Horan (Phil Rosenthal's wife and Amy on the show).  I know I read an article discussing how she was definitely who Rosenthal was writing about when he wrote Bad Moon Rising. 

I splurged and I bought the complete series boxed set from Amazon, arrived in the mail the other day. It was $80 but I think worth it to get all 9 seasons, it comes out to less than $10 per season which is a great value. You also get a reprint copy of the finale script autographed by the cast, which is cool. The packaging is also a lot better than the old set with the house design. This one is just a normal box set with a slip cover and the DVD cases are much thinner than the old ones. The packaging is so much less bulky and more efficient. I'm excited to start watching them again since I never get a chance to watch them on TV.

• Love 2

I'm tempted to replace my set because I've found a few of the DVDs have developed playability issues (probably played them to death!) and I wondered if they've redone the first few seasons so that you can "play all episodes" rather than have to go episode by episode?

Edited by CherryAmes

Are there good extras/commentaries?

There's some deleted scenes, audio commentaries, the original appearance of Ray Romano on The Tonight Show that initiated the series, some BTS interviews, etc. The complete series boxed set also includes a reproduction of the script from the final episode. 

• Love 1

I'm tempted to replace my set because I've found a few of the DVDs have developed playability issues (probably played them to death!) and I wondered if they've redone the first few seasons so that you can "play all episodes" rather than have to go episode by episode?

I've gotten through the first season and there's no "play all" option.

• Love 1

In the episode "The Author" what would you guys do if one of your kids tell you that they got a big promotion at work then at the same time your other child tells you that the publisher rejected their book? Frank and Marie just looked uncomfortable with congratulating Robert and feeling bad for Ray. It seemed Ray couldn't get the writing jobs he really wanted because he wanted to write a book but was denied by a publisher and in an earlier season we learned Ray was turned down by Sports Illustrated a couple of times. 

• Love 1

I loved that Marie wavered about how she should be feeling but then started ladling more food (was it chocolate sauce?) onto Robert's plate.  Her ultimate expression of love - feeding her kids :).

• Love 1

Over at Big Bang Theory a link was posted where some TV executive wants BBT to go on for years and also said he thought ELR should have stayed on the air as well.  I'm really torn on that one.  Much as I love ELR I've always been glad they went out when they did - and given Peter Boyle died a year or two after the show ended I wouldn't have wanted to have them deal with Frank's death.  On the other hand there are so few sitcoms I like that I know I would have kept watching and who knows, it could have been great.  

• Love 4

I'm glad they ended it when they did.  This need the makers of shows seem to have to keep that cash cow going forever is a mistake I feel.  I like that ELR went out on a high note.  I wouldn't mind a reunion show (although with one of the twins dead I don't know how they'd handle it) but just a one off to catch us up on the Barones.

21 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I'm glad they ended it when they did.  This need the makers of shows seem to have to keep that cash cow going forever is a mistake I feel.  I like that ELR went out on a high note.  I wouldn't mind a reunion show (although with one of the twins dead I don't know how they'd handle it) but just a one off to catch us up on the Barones.

A reunion couldn't happen without Frank and Marie.

• Love 2

Well I could see a reunion show where it was mostly flashbacks even without Marie and Frank.  Just I don't see how they could do it without one of the twins.  They would never kill him off but how could they have the other two on and say Geoffrey is away at school or something.   Just too sad.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Well I could see a reunion show where it was mostly flashbacks even without Marie and Frank.  Just I don't see how they could do it without one of the twins.  They would never kill him off but how could they have the other two on and say Geoffrey is away at school or something.   Just too sad.

I agree. It would be pretty easy to do a reunion without Marie and Frank because they could just say they had passed away, like you expect parents to do. Explaining why one of the twins wasn't there would be much harder. I just don't see how they could do it. 

• Love 1

I don't think it would be that hard.  How old would the twins be now, early adulthood?  He could be away at school, have a job overseas, be in the military, etc.  In fact, I think they could do a single reunion show without any of the kids -- just Ray, Debra, Robert, and Amy.

• Love 1

I think they could easily write out a twin, but I think it would be hard to watch.  Especially given the sad circumstances, I think it would be a cloud over the show.  I know it would be for me.  

4 hours ago, camom said:

I don't think it would be that hard.  How old would the twins be now, early adulthood?  He could be away at school, have a job overseas, be in the military, etc.  In fact, I think they could do a single reunion show without any of the kids -- just Ray, Debra, Robert, and Amy.

It was never about the kids :)

• Love 3

The only station I get that is airing ELR seems to have stopped.  This really sucks.  I mean I do have the DVDs but I enjoy being able to watch it on "regular" tv.   Why does it seem like every station that airs reruns is airing Big Bang Theory?  Oh sure there are a few other shows but honestly not many!

YesTV by any chance?  If not we're still in the same boat.  They started airing Family Ties last night instead of ELR.  To quote Trump, "sad".  I know it airs on one of the nostalgia channels but I'm not paying for it!    I hear you about the Big Bang Theory reruns.  Don't get me wrong, I like BBT but it's on every channel!  I don't know why we can't seem to get a good mix of old shows anymore.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I mean I do have the DVDs but I enjoy being able to watch it on "regular" tv.

I have the DVDs too, but I was angry when Netflix dumped Raymond.  I fell asleep to it every night on my iPad & I can't do this with the DVDs :(

• Love 1

I have it listed as airing tonight Tues Sept 12  on TVLand.   8:48pm is 'Frank Paints the House"

9:42pm Ally's birth

10:00pm "The Angry Family"  This was listed on TVGuide

TVLand lists it as airing every night. You can also watch full episodes on Tvland.com

Edited by Chai
20 hours ago, Chai said:

TVLand lists it as airing every night. You can also watch full episodes on Tvland.com

I imagine you'd have to have TVLand in your cable package to watch online, and I don't :(

@ByTor, from the Debra thread :)

Same with me @DEAJA.  I've tried so hard with the one where Frank gets man of the year at his lodge & the one where Debra's parents take the Barones out to dinner & Ray's family acts like they've never seen a restaurant before.

I loathe Civil War.  It's unwatchable.  Peter on the Couch is bad. Diamonds is another one.  Lastly, Boob Job.  Others, I initially hated, but gave another chance and liked them (like Cruising with Marie).

What's weird about Cruising with Marie is that when ELR was streaming on Netflix, I always fell asleep with it in the background, and I can't tell you how many times I woke up to Cruising with Marie!

I don't mind the Civil War episode and quite like Cruising with Marie but I completely agree about the episode where Debra's parents take the family to the fancy restaurant.  I can cut them some slack because it was the first year and they were feeling their way but that doesn't mean I can watch it!  There are two others I will never watch, the one where the guys go to the baseball hall of fame and the surprise birthday party for Debra.  There are others that I don't like but will watch if my husband wants to (the thank you notes one as an example, he really likes that one but I want to just kill Marie).

I love the very beginning of the Civil War episode when Ray does that brief little dance when Debra & the kids left & he had the house to himself...that is, until Marie barged in!  HATE the Hall of Fame, or as Marie calls it the Hall of Baseballs, episode.  The only saving grace was seeing Tug McGraw get in a snotty comment (LOVED him with the Phillies, his time with the Mets was a little before my time).  The surprise party one was bad, but has one line that makes me laugh, Frank's mocking "You DO???" when Debra gushes over & over about how much she loves Chinese food.  I always laugh (not intended by the writers, I'm sure) in Boob Job when Debra takes out the socks she's not a whole hell of a lot smaller!

I love The Surprise Party.  Debra is such a bad actress.  Even if they hadn't spilled the beans, she was so over the top.  It was also so Debra to want the party changed to her idea. :)  

And so Robert to spoil that Debra already knew.  It reminded me of what an ass he was when he just HAD to let Debra know that the To Kill a Mockingbird Christmas gift was his idea.

• Love 2

Ray and Marie get (for good reason) a lot of criticism, but Robert is probably the biggest mess of them all.  As a child, purposely breaking his brother's arm, letting his brother be blamed for 30 years for destroying something he destroyed, being attracted to his sister-in-law, and even praying that his brother would have a bad day when he did?  I really have to take the characters as chariactures because otherwise they are all too awful (except Amy and maybe the children).

I loved when Robert did have that moment of realization in that Christmas letter episode when he was like "Oh God, I've been saving that letter for (I think it was) 10 years!"

• Love 1
On 10/3/2017 at 11:43 AM, BlossomCulp said:

I don't mind the Civil War episode and quite like Cruising with Marie but I completely agree about the episode where Debra's parents take the family to the fancy restaurant.  I can cut them some slack because it was the first year and they were feeling their way but that doesn't mean I can watch it!  There are two others I will never watch, the one where the guys go to the baseball hall of fame and the surprise birthday party for Debra.  There are others that I don't like but will watch if my husband wants to (the thank you notes one as an example, he really likes that one but I want to just kill Marie).

I hate the one where Debra's parents take Frank and Marie to a fancy restaurant and F & M are just asses.  Even if you are low budget eaters.....just c'mon!  To eat bread and water?  They were rude.

• Love 2