Type keyword(s) to search

Maron - General Discussion

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Anyway, I think Marc continues to tolerate Dave being the worst friend in the history of human friendships mainly because Marc understands the jealousy that drives Dave to be so horrible.

Does Character Marc deserve credit for that much introspection? :)

I tend towards Marc just being a shiftless guy who doesn't care to put himself out to make new friends. Easier to maintain the status quo.

• Love 1
I don't know that ShowMarc and RealMarc are that different.

Ha! Does anyone listen to his podcast? I wasn't familiar with him in more than a passing way before the show.

I also didn't know about Kumail and Jonah so had to look that up; I assumed the show had made up that whole premise!

(edited)

Ha! Does anyone listen to his podcast? I wasn't familiar with him in more than a passing way before the show.

I also didn't know about Kumail and Jonah so had to look that up; I assumed the show had made up that whole premise!

I don't listen to it regularly anymore but even when I did I would frequently ffwd through the first part where he was talking/ranting about his personal life because he was such a needy ball of neurose and jealousy. Pete Holmes once had a joke that he told to Marc (and Pete loves Marc) about how he was going to make a mint on an app that would just automatically skip right to the guest on WTF.

In an addition to it being a send up of Jonah and Kumail' s Meltdown show, it was basically verbatim fights he has had with Kumail either on other podcasts or in person that one or the other has commented on. It's just weird when the same show has used Dave Anthony, Andy Kindled, etc. Playing themselves even when they aren't on the podcast.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

While I know that Maron likely felt that he was appropriately down on himself enough to post his version of his fights with Kumail, I don't think he really quite got there. If you're going to fictionalize real life fights you've had with other people, you really have to either A. not do that, as it is a bad idea or B. make sure that you look worse, because, well, obviously it is just jerky to fictionalize fights with real life people and make yourself the winner. I know Maron clearly tried to get there, but I don't think he did. 

Notice how Louie, when he wrote the fight he and Maron had in real life on to HIS show, he gave Maron the better side of the fight, because that's how you do these things.

As for this week's episode, I seriously can't believe he devoted an episode to "Internet companies are bad!" It's like "What's the deal with airline peanuts?" for the 21st Century. It's material that is fair to be mined, but you have to add SOMEthing to it other than, "Wow, internet companies sure do suck, don't they?" 

• Love 1
As for this week's episode, I seriously can't believe he devoted an episode to "Internet companies are bad!" It's like "What's the deal with airline peanuts?" for the 21st Century. It's material that is fair to be mined, but you have to add SOMEthing to it other than, "Wow, internet companies sure do suck, don't they?"

He did some spoofing by taking it to the extreme with the white-cloud Tier 3 stuff and all. The premise got a couple of of commiserating snorts out of me. What I could do without is his screwy neighbor becoming a semi-regular.

• Love 1
(edited)

I did! President Obama is a really funny guy. I thought it was a good interview, and that the controversy over him using the n-word is so stupid because of the context in which he was using it. I also thought it was interesting how he was honest about why he chose to do the interview. I also loved Marc describing the neighborhood before the President got there, and how he was so clearly nervous and excited for it. I honestly can't imagine another president or serious candidate that ever would have done that interview: a podcast, with the initials for "what the fuck" in the title, in a guy's garage.

Edited by Mindy McIndy
  • Love 2

Thanks! I haven't bothered to rummage around online and trust people's opinions here more than "news" outlets, anyway.

I've got the link here: http://potus.wtfpod.com/I was able to listen to it on my phone on a long drive home Monday, and it made at least that hour pass pretty quickly. President Obama is pretty self-deprecating in his sense of humor, which I like about him. Marc tried to keep it as just a conversation between two guys as much as he could, which is pretty much his style if you're not familiar with it. But yeah, it was a really good listen.

• Love 1

I really can't believe how far and fast this show has fallen for me. I still love his podcast but this season has so far been a total bust.

I'm sick of Marc's midlife crisis. First his teenage niece loves his show. Then in the preview for next week, his friend's 22-year-old girlfriend is hitting on him.

• Love 2

I'm sick of Marc's midlife crisis. First his teenage niece loves his show. Then in the preview for next week, his friend's 22-year-old girlfriend is hitting on him.

It was really getting on my nerves how much he was twisting himself up over impressing his niece. Why would he do that? Why would he care that much? Just be nice to her and she'll remember you in a good light. What let me down again is that he didn't even end up doing anything really funny in his pathetic quest to be cool in her eyes. 

• Love 1
It was really getting on my nerves how much he was twisting himself up over impressing his niece. Why would he do that? Why would he care that much?

Insecure and neurotic?

Whose notion is it that I as a viewer am terribly keen to see scripted shows with comics acting out versions of their own "real" lives -- Maron, Louis, Garfunkle and Oates, Jim Gaffigan, Larry David and probably more I'm forgetting. At least 20 years ago ELR had the decency to make Raymond a sportswriter

• Love 1

Insecure and neurotic?

Whose notion is it that I as a viewer am terribly keen to see scripted shows with comics acting out versions of their own "real" lives -- Maron, Louis, Garfunkle and Oates, Jim Gaffigan, Larry David and probably more I'm forgetting. At least 20 years ago ELR had the decency to make Raymond a sportswriter

Oh I 'm totally on board with the neurotic and insecure plus the autobiographical angle you mention! Curb Your Enthusiasm! ( Deeply hope there's more seasons to come) I love standup comedians and listen to them on podcasts daily because I love what they talk about. I just feel like this season is deeply mind bogglingly unfunny. I don't know why it is. I think the very first episode where he is at the vet with one of his cats and he is all weird and trying to ask her out (I think) had me instantly hooked.

Or when the hipster record store guy accused him of secretly liking Depeche Mode and he went out and spent ten grand on some new sound system just to stick it to him? Loved it!  

• Love 1
(edited)

This last episode grossed me out so much. I've complained in the Louie thread that it's really lazy and boring and white-male-cliche that every woman he encounters wants to have sex with him, and I knew as soon as the young woman spoke up in class on Maron that it would go there. The panty sniffing was just gross, gross, gross. I want to stop watching, then I see on the promo that Patton Oswalt is on the next ep. I love him. Gah!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5

This last episode grossed me out so much. I've complained in the Louie thread that it's really lazy and boring and white-male-cliche that every woman he encounters wants to have sex with him, and I knew as soon as the young woman spoke up in class on Maron that it would go there. The panty sniffing was just gross, gross, gross. I want to stop watching, then I see on the promo that Patton Oswalt is on the next ep. I love him. Gah!

I am with you 100% on every word in your post.

I've loved Carly Chaikin since seeing her in Suburgatory and was excited to see her playing someone totally different and then it rapidly became SO disappointing! 

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe Marc and CK have a wager on how many women they can bang on their respective shows. Bonus points for (1) within 60 minutes of meeting, and (2) if she's 20+ years younger.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

I am so with  you. This season didn't start off all that bad for me, but it's steadily gone downhill. The episode with his niece was just stupid, and he pretty much lost me with this last episode.

Agree about the lazy, cliched writing. I did some live comedy when I was in my early 20s, and while I liked hanging out with some of the comics at the clubs, I can't think of any I wanted to have sex with, unless I was blind drunk. Even now, I don't know many 24-year-olds who would want to have sex with Louie or Marc.

I also have to watch next week for Patton Oswalt.

• Love 2

Even now, I don't know many 24-year-olds who would want to have sex with Louie or Marc.

Pretty much this. Even allowing for groupies, damaged psyches, and daddy-or-other issues, most of the women on both shows (regardless of their ages) seem to be pretty far out of the respective guys' leagues, and the disparity becomes more obvious the younger the women are.

That being said, I guess when you write, direct, and produce your own show you can also cast your fantasies.  Although both guys would probably say it's for comedic effect...

• Love 1

The panties thing is not only disgusting (imo - apparently some Japanese men would disagree), but also already done. I might be wrong on the movie, but wasn't it also Little Children that had a male character sling his mistress' thong over his face in order to inspire the creative juices? (*gag* Sorry about that word choice.)

And I don't know the actress, but her vocal fry made me want to strangle her. I cannot STAND that affect.

Vocal fry girl played Cheryl Hines daughter in Suburgatory - she was a blonde.  That was before I knew what "vocal fry" meant.  She was over the top in that show as a high school mean girl and she worked it.  Now I'm sick of the vocal fry everywhere. Clear your throat and speak up!

• Love 1

Watching Maron flirt is painful. I dint have that much of a problem with the younger women having sex with Marc or Louie, I know plenty of attractive women who are into both and don't think either has a problem getting laid these days.

I liked the first two seasons of Maron but this season is really falling flat.

I agree, and I've tried to figure out why, and my best guess is that it was fun seeing him tormented by women from hell, career failure, and the like. This season we're seeing a more successful Maron, one who's becoming something of a big deal in the podcast world (a bigger deal in the sitcom's version of that world than I perceive him to be in real life, FWIW), one who mere mortal comedian friends are jealous of, and that's just not as funny as watching him suffer.

• Love 1

Thing is he started to deal with the topic of his success towards the end of Season 2 in the ep where the wonderful Eddie Pepitone played Stu Carbone. It was hilarious watching him interact with the snide pet shop owner etc. There was even a cameo by Love Boat's "Isaac"!

Yay, a great episode. If for every willing younger pussy Marc encounters they'd swap in an actual pussy cat, this show would be awesome. The first scene with the awful swag box and the cat rubbing his mouth against the cardboard was hilarious and so cute.

• Love 1

I get that Maron needed to rail against Evil Corporations, but he once he took the gig (even if it was only because his mom guilted him into doing so) he should have played nice; as was mentioned, $100k is a pretty good paycheck for a day's work.  

Alternatively, if he really needed to be a rebel then he should have had the courage of his convictions and not taken any money at all after he melted down - no doubt his travel was covered so he wouldn't have been in the hole, and if he wanted to make it up to Josh he could have given him the "agent's commission" out of his own pocket.  Can't have it both ways.

Was this the first time an ep ended without Marc podcasting as the final scene? 

More cats, please...

The whole corporate gig thing was interesting in light of Marc's comment in an episode from last season that "It's easy to maintain your integrity when no one is offering to buy it out." I suppose that's why he had to emphasize that he didn't want to take the job, he only did so to help his brother. He wouldn't sacrifice his integrity, dammit, not even for $100 grand!!

The dicks who run Steel Johnson must be doing awfully well if they can afford to pay a guy all that dough to wear a bad shirt and parrot off scripted questions. Good episode, though, due in part to the fact that Marc wasn't on a young pussy chase for the entire 30 minutes. That plotline has REALLY worn out its welcome this season.

• Love 1
Alternatively, if he really needed to be a rebel then he should have had the courage of his convictions and not taken any money at all after he melted down - no doubt his travel was covered so he wouldn't have been in the hole, and if he wanted to make it up to Josh he could have given him the "agent's commission" out of his own pocket.  Can't have it both ways.

Nope, can't. And I hated that Marc brought his brother down with him. Is Marc going to support Josh now? He was being a sanctimonious prick.

• Love 2

I find the sight of Marc whacking off while eating cheesecake to be simultaneously disturbing and hilarious.

Yea, me too.

I also think it's the only time I laughed during the entire season.

Thirding the sentiment. I was uneasy when I saw where it was going, knowing about his real life struggles and then when I saw how far it was going AND that i was the season's ending? Whoa.

The food obsession turned really dark really fast especially when the pills led to binging. I get that I do but what a way to end a season I didn't find funny, interesting or well done.

(edited)
On 8/19/2015 at 11:09 PM, DiabLOL said:

I get that I do but what a way to end a season I didn't find funny, interesting or well done.

Nor was the start of the new season, unfortunately. I don't really like this show sometimes but watch anyway, I guess in hopes that it will take an upward turn. The unrelenting dreariness and series of bad decisions gets to me.

Edited by lordonia
(edited)

Three episodes later and zero comments. I'd almost feel sorry for Marc except I've been fast-forwarding through most of this season myself. Do not care at all about the rehab crap.

I watched all of episode 5 because I like Sally Kellerman but it was, as usual, depressing and unfunny. At least Marc is out of rehab and shaved his beard. Hopefully his life will eventually take a slight upturn.

Sally Struthers next week!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1