Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I probably wouldn't go to social media about it, because everyone will take care of it for me. But yes, much like last year in regards to Roy, I'd quit watching the show. I feel like this show, like many others, kills for shock value. And I don't need watch season after season characters dying for shock.

• Love 5

"tearjerker at the end."

I know tearjerker is usually used in relation to something sad, but! I know I would personally cry when Buckles dies.... from Joy and laughter- I cry when i laugh, so see it makes sense!

I know many who would join me!

And the day it will happen I will make twitter trend with #DingDongBucklesGone or a variation.

Oh look, I am back to being snarky about her.. lol.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 3

Colour me shocked. You snarky about Laurel? Perish the thought. :D

Hey... there are periods where I am nice to her!... Yea okay I cracked up while writing it! -maybe less snarky would be more appropriate? :-P

I think it escalates in this line: Whatever I just can't with her anymore! (i'm too busy to give a shit right now) - "oh Laurel"- mean- snarky mean (which involves just me wanting her to go away or be dead either way is good) - A level snarky bitchy mean (which involves me wanting her dead).

• Love 1

"tearjerker at the end."

I know tearjerker is usually used in relation to something sad, but! I know I would personally cry when Buckles dies.... from Joy and laughter- I cry when i laugh, so see it makes sense!

I know many who would join me!

And the day it will happen I will make twitter trend with #DingDongBucklesGone or a variation.

Oh look, I am back to being snarky about her.. lol.

This is the best hashtag I've seen in a long while.

Please bring me the tears of joy show, please. Is this like the reverse of reviving Tinkerbell in Peter Pan? If I clap continuously for the next 5 months will my wish come true?

• Love 4

About the Laurel Lance redemption tour, a thought just occurred to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the reviews considering the O/L development positively coming just from people who received the episode in advance?

I know SA has said that any character in a TV show can die and fans will keep watching but the flaw in his thinking is that Arrow isn't Game of Thrones (which I believe he used as a comparison).

I'm invested in the show for the characters I care about (Oliver, Felicity and Diggle) so if Felicity or Diggle are in the grave that will be where the show and I part ways.

As much as I enjoy SA, I'm not here to watch the Oliver Queen/Lance family drama hour. The small amounts I have endure each season is difficult enough to get through. It would be rage inducing to watch 23 episodes of it and I don't need the aggravation.

• Love 11

About the Laurel Lance redemption tour, a thought just occurred to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the reviews considering the O/L development positively coming just from people who received the episode in advance?

No? There's been 2-3 reviews that said O/L was going to happen. Of those 1 was a DC Fan boy (geekdad) and the others I don't know about. Those DVDs get sent to 250 reporters/bloggers, if O/L was a talking point the major sites would be touting it, not the little ones.

The only thing that I KNOW was sent from the CW with the DVD was them telling the reviewers NOT to mention that Constantine appeared in the flashbacks. Could they have asked them to talk up O/L? Possible but, so far very few even mention it. Most reviews (that I've seen) praised Constantine and slammed Laurel.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Well, if it is Laurel in the grave, them saying the death will be a "tear jerker" could be along the same lines as everything else they say about that character. More telling the audience how to respond to Laurel instead of writing/acting her in a way that connects people to her. Much like her "crucible" or the "light" inside her or her "journey" to being BC.

I will be pleasantly surprised if they kill Laurel off. But I don't want to get my hopes up.

• Love 3

Well, if it is Laurel in the grave, them saying the death will be a "tear jerker" could be along the same lines as everything else they say about that character. More telling the audience how to respond to Laurel instead of writing/acting her in a way that connects people to her. Much like her "crucible" or the "light" inside her or her "journey" to being BC.

It's not a Laurel-specific thing, though. Any show runner who kills off a prominent cast member (who isn't a villain) is going to hope to squeeze some tears out of you when they do it. Assuming they're going to, well...good luck, lady!

• Love 2

It's not a Laurel-specific thing, though. Any show runner who kills off a prominent cast member (who isn't a villain) is going to hope to squeeze some tears out of you when they do it. Assuming they're going to, well...good luck, lady!

Oh, for sure. It's just that for me, they have a history of saying things specifically about Laurel that don't connect for me as a viewer. They are welcome to try to squeeze those tears out of me by killing Laurel! With almost anyone else, though, it's likely to be tears of rage.

• Love 3

I was not involved in the fandom when we lost MQ, RIP :'( but did they promise us a tearjerker then too?

I did shed a tear over her & Tommy. I was too stunned to cry during SL death scene. But they have been preparing me for this death for so long that I wonder what my reaction will be. But I definitely hate the bring tissue warnings on shows like Arrow.

Edited by kismet

I was not involved in the fandom when we lost MQ, RIP :'( but did they promise us a tearjerker then too?

The only other time I remember the showrunners hyping an upcoming death was 209 -- when Shado and Lance's partner both died.

Oliver in 309 doesn't count.

Edit: although there might have been death talk for 123? But I don't remember if it was TPTB or just fandom. I watched unspoiled back then, and I was 100% sure Tommy was gonna die, but I don't really remember if I came to that conclusion bc TPTB said anything about it.

Edited by dtissagirl

I cried over Oliver and Thea when Moira died. And when Moria said, "close your eyes, baby." Glad SH ad-libbed that.

That was a great scene.
Edit: although there might have been death talk for 123? But I don't remember if it was TPTB or just fandom. I watched unspoiled back then, and I was 100% sure Tommy was gonna die, but I don't really remember if I came to that conclusion bc TPTB said anything about it.

We knew going in that there would be 2 deaths in the finale.

Most people figured Lance and one of the Merlyns. Malcom dies and Tommy goes evil or Tommy dies and Malcolm seeks revenge in S2. I don't think anyone called both Merlyns dying.

Edited by Morrigan2575

If SA wants to compare Arrow to Game of Thrones or Walking Dead, then killing of a major character that no expects to die would be the way to go. Because Comics would be that character. Everyone guessed Sara, everyone guessed Moira when that funeral spoiler came out. Game of Thrones shocks non-book readers by killing of major players. Quentin is not a major player, he's an expected death because he's not. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

No? There's been 2-3 reviews that said O/L was going to happen. Of those 1 was a DC Fan boy (geekdad) and the others I don't know about. Those DVDs get sent to 250 reporters/bloggers, if O/L was a talking point the major sites would be touting it, not the little ones.

The only thing that I KNOW was sent from the CW with the DVD was them telling the reviewers NOT to mention that Constantine appeared in the flashbacks. Could they have asked them to talk up O/L? Possible but, so far very few even mention it. Most reviews (that I've seen) praised Constantine and slammed Laurel.

Well, there goes my brilliant theory:) to clarify, I wasn't referring to those anticipating O/L as a couple, just those who enjoyed the exchange and Laurel in general. But I was wrong, anyway.

Moira's death and Sara's made me cry. And in 302, after Oliver goes on that rooftop and then the 'I don't want to die down here'. Stop playing with my emotions!

• Love 2
We knew going in that there would be 2 deaths in the finale.

Most people figured Lance and one of the Merlyns. Malcom dies and Tommy goes evil or Tommy dies and Malcolm seeks revenge in S2. I don't think anyone called both Merlyns dying.

Thank you! Yeah, I totally don't remember that kind of spec, so my being sure Tommy was toast has got to have come from reading TPTB interviews, because I wasn't in fandom back then. My casual viewer recall is super terribad.

Funnily enough, I still did most of 2A unspoiled and out of fandom. I was more invested, and started reading reviews and a leetle bit of fandom, but my come to the dark side moment of "okay, I'm now gonna read every single piece of information and spoiler about this godforsaken show" only came with the 213 lunge. That unplanned 3 week hiatus was a very dark time for me. *g*

• Love 3

If SA wants to compare Arrow to Game of Thrones or Walking Dead, then killing of a major character that no expects to die would be the way to go. Because Comics would be that character. Everyone guessed Sara, everyone guessed Moira when that funeral spoiler came out. Game of Thrones shocks non-book readers by killing of major players. Quentin is not a major player, he's an expected death because he's not.

A lot of People don't expect them to Kill off Dig or Felicity. Which is why I'm still worried that they Wil.

After 401, I saw two online polls on "who is going to die" and both had Felicity in the lead.

Reviewers generally took one of the following three attitudes toward Laurel in 405:

1.  Laurel was selfish and reckless, and deflected blame to others.

2.  Laurel stood her ground with Oliver, and dropped truth bombs on him.

3.  .... (no comments about Laurel, other than just recapping the ep).

IIRC, several reviewers considered the new development in the relationship between Oliver and Laurel a positive thing - the only difference was that some reviewers saw it as a platonic friendship only, while a few reviewers saw it as a stepping stone back to Lauriver (or GA/BC).

I would say that #2 above was in the minority.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The positive reviews I saw seemed to be Comic GA/BC fans. Most like you said we're like WTF, Laurel!

This supposed Laurel redemption arc has failed. It failed to paint her in better light because they never took her out of that better light in the first place. They never really made it like she did something wrong, then everyone was happy.

jbuffyangel's review of 405 - she does a pretty good job of outlining in detail why people have a problem with Laurel (arrogant, narcissistic, blames others, no accountability) and I agree with her meta analysis of Laurel's statements to Oliver (she wants him to choose her for once); however, I don't agree that there was any foreshadowing of Laurel being the one to die (too much I wanted to quote) ...

THE BEGINNING OF THE END: HAUNTED 4X05 REVIEW
NOVEMBER 05, 2015 @ 04:22
http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/132593959323/the-beginning-of-the-end-haunted-4x05-review

Edited by tv echo

'Pointed Commentary' by Matt D. Wilson and Chris Haley on 405 (they don't even mention the Oliver/Laurel exchanges or relationship, not even when Matt is recapping Oliver's past scandal to Arrow newbie Chris)...

‘Arrow’ Post-Show Analysis: Season 4, Episode 5: ‘Haunted’
by CA Post-Show Team November 6, 2015 2:30 PM
http://comicsalliance.com/arrow-post-show-analysis-haunted/

Matt: ... I thought this was a pretty steep drop-off from last week’s really promising episode. There’s a lot of heavy lifting going on here to set up Legends of Tomorrow, to the point where the ongoing plot of Arrow seems to get lost in the swirl.
Chris: What is the scandal with Sara from eight years ago the PR guy mentioned? That seemed like important background stuff.

Matt: ... But here’s the deal: Sara was with Ollie and his dad back in the boat crash that left Ollie on the island initially. Ollie originally thought she drowned, but turned out she survived and found him later. The idea, I guess, is that some tabloidish elements could make hay out of that, Ollie being complicit in her “death.”
Matt: It wants to be taken seriously, but then it’s just so dang goofy sometimes. Honestly, I tend to like the goofiness more than the self-seriousness. Like I think it’s hilarious that Darhk is basically turning out to be Dr. Claw. He’s behind every devious plot on the show this season! Killing Dig’s brother. All the stuff with the ghosts. He even appears to have kidnapped Ray Palmer (despite his “no kidnapping” code from episode two)! He’s there just so the writers can say, “Oh, Darhk did that.” It’s dumb as hell, but in kind of an endearing way.
Also, the big mystery of the episode: Where the heck did Sara get that button-up shirt? Did I just miss that? Did she decide in the middle of her blood-rage that she was a tad chilly and had better put on a pullover?

Chris: Yeah, she’s been back for a while and she was in Laurel’s basement for at least a few days, so could she seriously not put her sister in some normal, around the house, comfortable clothes? I can’t believe her dad’s second question after he saw her wasn’t, “What the hell is she wearing? You bring your sister back from the dead and you only give her a bustier corset to wear?! What is wrong with you people?” She also just looked super-uncomfortable in it before she put that oversized shirt on.

Matt: Maybe in season six we’ll get its origin story.

Edited by tv echo

After 401, I saw two online polls on "who is going to die" and both had Felicity in the lead.

If it helps, the few polls I saw right after 401 all had Quentin in the lead. 

There is certainly a specific school of thought that thinks Arrow needs to be "fixed" and the only way to do it is to kill Felicity so the show can becomes something it is not.  Would the show (and it's corporate overlords) WANT Arrow to stop being the show that has been working?  I suppose an argument could be made that the CW would sign off on a radical change in the hopes that they'd open up a new show time slot for when Arrow is canceled but otherwise it doesn't make sense to me. 

Going to take a wild stab here and say people believed Felicity was the death right after 401 because the show set it up that way. The cut from happy Olicity kissing to the grave was a blinking neon sign. I don't think a lot of people who voted in those polls thought too deeply on the subject.

• Love 7

If it helps, the few polls I saw right after 401 all had Quentin in the lead. 

There is certainly a specific school of thought that thinks Arrow needs to be "fixed" and the only way to do it is to kill Felicity so the show can becomes something it is not.

I would pay actual moneys to watch someone saying this to Greg Berlanti, just so I could watch him repeat his "Felicity fixed a problem we didn't even know we had" line.

• Love 8

Time Warner CEO Signals Delays for DC Shows on Netflix, Hulu
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSNOV. 4, 2015, 5:40 P.M. E.S.T.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/11/04/business/ap-us-time-warner-netflix.html?_r=5

Fans of superhero shows based in the DC Comics universe like "The Flash," ''Arrow" and "Gotham" might have to wait a lot longer for past seasons' episodes to come to Netflix and Hulu.

Jeff Bewkes, the chief executive of DC-owner Time Warner Inc., told analysts on a conference call Wednesday that the company is considering whether to let online services like Netflix have its shows several years after they first air, rather than one year later. He said that could mean more older episodes are available on-demand to traditional cable customers.

Withdrawing shows from online services would make traditional cable and satellite TV packages more attractive. Time Warner is focused on "delivering even more value to consumers, especially those who subscribe to the traditional bundle," Bewkes said.
Analyst Anthony DiClemente of Nomura Securities said Time Warner is reacting to the growth of Netflix as a power in the TV industry.

"Some of the media executives are looking at Netflix as a digital distributor who has gained too much power," he said. "They are thinking, look, maybe we should keep our most valuable content inside the traditional pay TV ecosystem, which is the golden goose."

Jeff Bewkes, the chief executive of DC-owner Time Warner Inc., told analysts on a conference call Wednesday that the company is considering whether to let online services like Netflix have its shows several years after they first air, rather than one year later. He said that could mean more older episodes are available on-demand to traditional cable customers.

What morons.

• Love 6

I don't get that, isn't it also an introduction for new viewers to shows? You stream a few and then you check out the new episodes live?  I don't think I'd pay anymore, I probably wouldn't watch it altogether. I understand where they are coming from but as a platform couldn't they create their own streaming service just with DC stuff?

• Love 1

Here is a really detailed and lengthy review of 405 by a fan, WildIrish23 (esp. good meta analysis of Laurel's accusations thrown at Oliver in this ep, the history between Oliver and Laurel, and the Lance family, imo)...

Arrow 4x05 “Haunted” Meta: The Ghosts of People’s Pasts and the echo of their mistakes come out to play
Nov 6, 2015 8:02 am
http://wildirish23.tumblr.com/post/132661675222/arrow-4x05-haunted-meta-the-ghosts-of-peoples

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I don't get that, isn't it also an introduction for new viewers to shows? You stream a few and then you check out the new episodes live?  I don't think I'd pay anymore, I probably wouldn't watch it altogether. I understand where they are coming from but as a platform couldn't they create their own streaming service just with DC stuff?

It seems execs truly don't understand how people watch TV now. I predict this type of thinking will either kill the shows or people will just end up pirating them. 

• Love 2

Laura Hurley ‏@lah9891  6h6 hours ago

LL: "I can't believe that bad guy yanked my hair!"

OQ: "Maybe you need a new wig to--"

LL: "He must have a crush on me."

#laurawritesarrow

LL: "We're equals!"

OQ: "..."

LL: "..."

OQ: "I don't speak whatever language in which 'equals' would apply to us."

#laurawritesarrow

LL: "We're equals!"

OQ: "Thank God we're in a hospital!"

LL: "..."

OQ: "You're having a stroke, right?"

#laurawritesarrow

LL: "Why can't you see that we're equals?"

OQ: "..."

LL: "Ollie!"

OQ: "Wait, were you talking to me?"

#laurawritesarrow

LL:"We're equals!"

OQ:"True! We had equally bad romantic judgment pre-2007."

LL:"..."

OQ:"Or did you mean something else?"

#laurawritesarrow

FS: "Damien Darhk is my father."

OQ: "WHAT?!?!?"

FS: "See? I told you I could get rid of your hiccups."

#laurawritesarrow

Laura Hurley's tweets:

• Love 6

Laura Hurley's tweets:

HA!--the last dialogue with Felicity and Oliver made me choke on my oatmeal! HINT: One should not eat oatmeal too close to the computer monitor when reading anything written by Laura Hurley! 

The LL ones were OK, but my favorites were the one about her hair and the reference to their pre-2007 romantic judgement.

TV Fanatic's round table discussion of 405 (by Lindsay MacDonald, Hank Otero, Liz Estey and Caralynn Lippo) - no surprise at their take on the O/L issues...

Arrow Round Table: Bring Back Constantine!
Carissa Pavlica at November 9, 2015 8:00 am
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2015/11/arrow-round-table-bring-back-constantine/

What did you think about Laurel and Oliver finally working out their issues?
Lindsay: After working together so flawlessly for nearly a year now, it was a bit sudden to have these issues crop back up again. But a lot of what Laurel was saying was actually very true, so I think that their 'fight' and its resolution was well earned.

Hank: I loved that Ollie acknowledged he's not one to talk when it comes to keeping secrets. Sure, Laurel resurrecting Sara was a bonehead move, but thanks to her, we've got White Canary on Legends of Tomorrow. All is forgiven Black Canary, thanks for that. I loved when she kept raising her voice and mentioned Oliver being the Arrow and Stephen Amell's reaction to that. It was a great scene, and hopefully it's all water under the bridge now.

Liz: This scene was long overdue. The amount of bad blood between Oliver and Laurel defies logic. Let's all just take a moment to remember that Oliver and Laurel slept together at the end of Arrow Season 1. They seriously have colossal emotional problems, but I'm glad the writers finally addressed it.

Caralynn: Yeah, it really needed to happen. I always thought it was odd that they never fully addressed their issues, instead just kind of sweeping it all under the rug. It was a great scene, and I liked that in the end, Oliver admitted he was in no position to ever judge anyone for keeping secrets because seriously, he's like the master of keeping huge secrets.

What are you talking about, those five months Oliver was living in another city blissfully happy with Felicity were the most flawless work he's ever done with Laurel.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 20