Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Arrow/Flash/LoT are all from the same producers everything they do is with each other anyway. I think they meant it would be harder if they all had a bunch of different producers trying to stay in the same universe like Marvel does. 

I do think it's stupid that the tv shows can't use certain characters because they are being used in a separate movie universe. If they are not connected why does it matter? 

• Love 2

I think it's not so much that DC prevents Berlanti from using certain characters. I mean, they do, but it's because DC makes different kinds of image rights deals for different characters/properties, with a whole bunch of other studios/producers. Who a lot of times are direct competitors too. And then DC has to honor all of those different deals.

For example, if WB Pictures got exclusivity rights on Deadshot, DC has to tell Arrow they can't have the character anymore. But if they didn't sign off Amanda Waller exclusively to Pictures, then TV can still use her. Same movie, different deals for different DC properties.

• Love 1

From MG's interview with Comic-Vine about his new Jonas Quantum comic...

GUGGENHEIM: Yeah. One of the things about the book is that it's constructed to be a self-contained adventure. While it's all self-contained, there are character elements that will peel back, like layers. The core of the book is this character. It's a character drama but there's not soap opera elements, the way they are on say Arrow. It's much more about this guy and through his adventures, we get different aspects of the character.

Marc Guggenheim Discusses JONAS QUANTUM and How it Calls Back to the Silver Age
by Mat 'Inferiorego' Elfring on September 17, 2015
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/marc-guggenheim-discusses-jonas-quantum-and-how-it/1100-153595/

Laura Hurley discusses the claim that Felicity is now "just" a love interest...

violetaelenashares asks:
Hi Laura! Hope it's ok to address you like that. I've been following your articles regarding Arrow and I really like the way you explain and review the show. I have a question that have been plaguing me for some time. The latest weapon in some people's arsenal when it comes to Felicity and her role in Arrow is that now she is just a love interest. Can you tell me why a love interest is such a bad thing for a character? I dont see her as just a love interest, but lets say she is, so what?

Sep 18, 2015 9:36 am
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/129348510932/hi-laura-hope-its-ok-to-address-you-like-that

That KC interview was a very...difficult read.

I had to read this like five times to figure out what she was trying to say?? [re: stunt double Atlin Mitchell].  I guess KC wants the stunt person to intentionally copy Caity's moves when performing as Laurel since Laurel and Sara are sisters?

We get to talk – and what’s cool about it is, I spoke with her the other night – she shoots, you know like when they do giant masters? It’s normally – during fight scenes – it’s normally the stunt team because they want to go all out. And I get that, that’s totally fine with me. But we’ll discuss if the Black Canary is going to jump off the roof and onto the ground, I am trying to – I’ll talk to her about picking up mannerisms for Caity because we’re sisters. So, even just like the way she falls, she lands, and the way she looks up, and the way she kind of crouches – just small little things just to sort of tie us together and create that, I guess, sisterly bond.

Regarding that question to Laura Hurley noting the fact that the "latest weapon in some people's arsenal when it comes to Felicity and her role in Arrow is that now she is just a love interest."?  Hmm... 

Cassidy: You know, it’s interesting, I have to say I am really happy because I like the way they’ve – the direction they’ve gone with my character. Because they’ve created – I’m not the girlfriend or the love interest. I actually have my own storyline and I’m not just there to serve as the love interest.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 2

No one fights the exact same way, even if you are sisters. Sara had a completely different kind of training and by that I mean years of hard core training, not a couple of lessons. So, no Because Comics can not and should not have the same fighting style as her sister. 

• Love 9

Oh, so that's where the 'just' came from. I knew I was missing something up thread. Hmm. 

Yep. Felicity is 'just' the one off character who came in and changed the whole show. Sure. JUST. 

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially Katie because when she speaks most of the time it's word salad. But she needs to stop with the "just a love interest" stuff. Laurel always had her own storylines, she's never served as just a love interest. It makes her sound shady and bitter when she might not mean to.

The only character I can think of who really was just a love interest was McKenna. Maybe Helena too, if you stretch a bit.

• Love 3

That KC interview was a very...difficult read.

I had to read this like five times to figure out what she was trying to say?? [re: stunt double Atlin Mitchell]. I guess KC wants the stunt person to intentionally copy Caity's moves when performing as Laurel since Laurel and Sara are sisters?

Regarding that question to Laura Hurley noting the fact that the "latest weapon in some people's arsenal when it comes to Felicity and her role in Arrow is that now she is just a love interest."? Hmm...

As if fans hadn't been saying while Arrow was still airing s3?

It seems like Katie just want them to share simple mannerisms since siblings do tend to share some but doesn't seem to tie into the general fight scenes.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially Katie because when she speaks most of the time it's word salad. But she needs to stop with the "just a love interest" stuff. Laurel always had her own storylines, she's never served as just a love interest. It makes her sound shady and bitter when she might not mean to.

The only character I can think of who really was just a love interest was McKenna. Maybe Helena too, if you stretch a bit.

What's to stop with? This is the same interview that's been posted before around the net. She isn't doing multiple interviews saying this. It was all that day of dragoncon i believe.

Wendy Mericle said something similar about Laurel in a recent interview (maybe TVLine?) so it feels a bit like KC is parroting what the producers have told her, which is fine. It accounts for her change in direction on the O/L relationship.

The thing I find funny is she says how nice it is to not just be the love interest and immediately follows it up by stating she hopes they'll cast a love interest for her one day.

Edited by GirlvsTV
  • Love 1

I thought Helena had a really interesting storyline/character evolution outside of being a love interest.  And she was even kind of an interesting love interest, potentially pulling Oliver to the dark side.  I don't like her, exactly, but I found her very interesting.  If they ever get the actress back and she had a redemption arc, I'd be okay with it.  (Well, except for all the US Marshals she killed at the FBI safe house.  That was bad.  But other than that I think she didn't kill any good guys, right?  Maybe she pulled an Oliver and just seriously injured them all.)

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 4

Yeah, I liked Helena, and I wouldn't mind seeing her redeemed. I don't think she killed any good guys - she just shot McKenna. I only threw Helena in there because the primary purpose of bringing her on the show seemed to be making her Oliver's first attempt at having a relationship while he was the Hood. I agree that her storyline was interesting outside of that.

Every time I read a KC interview I'm reminded of the contestant in the Miss Teen USA pageant a couple years ago. Rambling, incomprehensible, with some key phrases thrown in. I don't understand why she's still fumbling her answers when she's basically been asked the same questions (training/stunts, Sara) since becoming BC.

The "just a love interest" comment sounds a lot like sour grapes. Or her trying to convince herself that she's ok with it being off the table for her even though she's been pushing the "soulmate" stuff up until February this year.

• Love 5

The "just a love interest" comment sounds a lot like sour grapes. Or her trying to convince herself that she's ok with it being off the table for her even though she's been pushing the "soulmate" stuff up until February this year.

She called Oliver her soulmate recently, didn't she? Like, when she said that Laurel and Oliver probably wouldn't be getting back together, because sometimes you don't end up with your soulmate? Unless I'm misremembering.  

• Love 2

She called Oliver her soulmate recently, didn't she? Like, when she said that Laurel and Oliver probably wouldn't be getting back together, because sometimes you don't end up with your soulmate? Unless I'm misremembering.

I think that info was tweeted by a reporter that had been at the on-set interviews last week. It hasn't been published yet, though.

Yeah, I liked Helena, and I wouldn't mind seeing her redeemed. I don't think she killed any good guys - she just shot McKenna. I only threw Helena in there because the primary purpose of bringing her on the show seemed to be making her Oliver's first attempt at having a relationship while he was the Hood. I agree that her storyline was interesting outside of that.

What about the federal marshals?  Serious question, bc I don't care if she (or Oliver) kills bad guys all day long.  And she somewhat went out of her way not to kill any good guys other than the marshals.  For example, it would have made sense for her to kill Felicity rather than just leave her tied up, and/or to kill the frat boy she made drive her to Starling.  I didn't think the actress was the very best ever, but she was fine, she got better, she's beautiful, and I just found Helena really interesting. 

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1

What about the federal marshals?  Serious question, bc I don't care if she (or Oliver) kills bad guys all day long.  And she somewhat went out of her way not to kill any good guys other than the marshals.  For example, it would have made sense for her to kill Felicity rather than just leave her tied up, and/or to kill the frat boy she made drive her to Starling.  I didn't think the actress was the very best ever, but she was fine, she got better, she's beautiful, and I just found Helena really interesting. 

Honestly, I forgot she killed any marshals, haha.

• Love 1

I think she said sometimes you don't end up with the "love of your life." So, yeah, she doesn't apparently think that Laurel will find another love interest that surpasses Oliver.

• Love 1

I think she said sometimes you don't end up with the "love of your life." So, yeah, she doesn't apparently think that Laurel will find another love interest that surpasses Oliver.

Which is ridiculous when you think how badly Oliver has treated Laurel over the years. Wow. 

The Brazilian reporter who was on set earlier this month posted on Viber the phrase "você nem sempre acaba com o amor da sua vida", which is literally translated to "you don't always end up with the love of your life".

Also, the mannerisms thing is hilarity. Oh, KC, never change. Siblings take on each other mannerisms when they interact with each other. Not when they've met like, 5 times in the last 8 years.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 6

Wendy Mericle said something similar about Laurel in a recent interview (maybe TVLine?) so it feels a bit like KC is parroting what the producers have told her, which is fine. It accounts for her change in direction on the O/L relationship.

The thing I find funny is she says how nice it is to not just be the love interest and immediately follows it up by stating she hopes they'll cast a love interest for her one day.

She is but she's putting her own spin on it.  What Wendy said was that they didn't plan to explore a LI for Laurel right now and that it would be nice to not have someone in a relationship.  The converse of that is because, Olilver/Felicity, Diggle/Lyla and Thea/New Guy are all in relationships and dealing with different stages of committed relationships.  

KC's comment (and yes it was one interview that was given to a group of reporters or just picked up and repeated) implies that Laurel's better (and by extension KC is better) because she has HER own storyline and isn't JUST the love interest.  The implication being that Felicity is JUST a love interest and KC is sooo happy that HER character has MORE substance than JUST being a love interest.

It's the implied superiority and shade towards Felicity that fans are reacting to.  IMO it's intentional, this is the same girl that in May (weekend before upfronts) was asking her fans to write the CW/WB to put Laurel/Oliver back together...this is after S3 finished filming, after she knew that Olicity rode off into the sunset.  As recently as May she not only WANTED the love interest role back but, was actively trying to GET it back     Now, she's obviously (IMO) been told that she's NOT getting it back and is trying to play it off like...well I didn't want it anyway because it's beneath me and my character is better off because she's so much more important.

ETA:  I'm almost certain she was still using the Soulmates and love of your life as recently as SDCC 2015 but added in the "you don't always end up with the love of your life"  which is a twist on either her TCA or Paleyfest interview where she still used the Lauiver are "Soulmates but sometimes you don't end up with your soulmate" line.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 14

I thought Helena had a really interesting storyline/character evolution outside of being a love interest.  And she was even kind of an interesting love interest, potentially pulling Oliver to the dark side.  I don't like her, exactly, but I found her very interesting.  If they ever get the actress back and she had a redemption arc, I'd be okay with it.  (Well, except for all the US Marshals she killed at the FBI safe house.  That was bad.  But other than that I think she didn't kill any good guys, right?  Maybe she pulled an Oliver and just seriously injured them all.)

I think bringing Helena back would be cool. I don't even need a redemption arc. Let her go all dark & crazy bad ass to reek havoc. She was an intriguing character from all vantage points - antihero, villain, lover, gilted lover, grieving widow, pissed daughter - vendetta against a lot of people & things. I don't need for all of my return characters or enjoyable characters to be redeemed. I like when most get redeemed, but some are just better darker. She's hardcore angst & anger I don't honestly see her being happy as redeemed person out there pulling people out of burning buildings.

• Love 1

KC does know that Felicity is getting her own storyline this year with being CEO of Palmer Tech, right?

It's the implied superiority and shade towards Felicity that fans are reacting to.  IMO it's intentional, this is the same girl that in May (weekend before upfronts) was asking her fans to write the CW/WB to put Laurel/Oliver back together...this is after S3 finished filming, after she knew that Olicity rode off into the sunset.  As recently as May she not only WANTED the love interest role back but, was actively trying to GET it back     Now, she's obviously (IMO) been told that she's NOT getting it back and is trying to play it off like...well I didn't want it anyway because it's beneath me and my character is better off because she's so much more important.

That's why I have problems with tweets like these:

tumblr_nuslbo0MdJ1u4jk10o1_540.png

tumblr_nuslbo0MdJ1u4jk10o3_540.png

tumblr_nuslbo0MdJ1u4jk10o4_540.png

It feels inauthentic to me.  How can you say "lost without you" to someone (who you've only worked with intermittently for the past year) and then put down the character that she's playing?

• Love 4

Maybe because she isn't trying to put her down? Maybe she's thinking only of Laurel when she talks about not being a love interest anymore?

I honestly don't think she is good at the PR stuff, and I do think that she gets a little coaching on how to answer certain types of questions or at least she preps herself for them, which is why we end up hearing the same answers pretty often. I think Katie is aware that she's spent three years talking about L/O being soulmates, about being in a "love triangle" in S3 with O/F which she wasn't, asking fans to tell the writers that they want O/L together...and now she's been made to understand that that is over. It's not happening, and she needs a new line to make it seem like she's not disappointed about it.

So she's gone with this "happy to be more than a love interest" thing and I honestly don't think she intends to shade Felicity or Emily. She's made it clear in the past that she doesn't pay a ton of attention to what's happening elsewhere on the show, and I think that's true here too. She doesn't realize that being dismissive of the idea of being someone's "love interest" could be seen as dismissive of other people on her show.

• Love 9

It feels inauthentic to me. How can you say "lost without you" to someone (who you've only worked with intermittently for the past year) and then put down the character that she's playing?

I don't think it's inauthentic. They probably spend a lot of time together off camera. She staTed in the inevitable she was very lonely when she moved. We've seen then go to dinners and out with each other.

I think they've all become pretty good friends considering for ten months a year they are all they have.

I mean Colton and Emily vacation together. I don't think they are fabricating affection.

• Love 1

Weren't Colton and Emily friends before they got cast on Arrow?

I think they've all become pretty good friends considering for ten months a year they are all they have.

KC has only started sharing scenes with EBR in the last season though.  Maybe it's the exaggeration some actors do (daaaahling).

Yes, KC and EBR seem to have become better friends from the end of last season until now. They've vacationed together, they spend a lot of time off-set with each other. I don't think it matters that they didn't share many scenes before later last season. I certainly think there's an element of actorly drama to their silly tweets, but EBR has directed the same type of thing at her. I think we can assume that they are actually friends. As far as Colton--I don't think they knew each other before Arrow.

Anyway, the fact that they ARE friends is just more reason that I don't think Katie's intentionally shading Emily with this stuff. It would be illogical anyway, considering that Felicity has had her own storyline--separate from Oliver--for two seasons now. Other than McKenna and Carly Diggle, I don't think there's been any character on Arrow who was little more than an LI (and even McKenna served a plot function). Maybe Katie realized that she herself was placing too much importance on the idea of her character being Oliver's love interest? I doubt it, but if so, good for her!

• Love 5

Maybe because she isn't trying to put her down? Maybe she's thinking only of Laurel when she talks about not being a love interest anymore?

I honestly don't think she is good at the PR stuff, and I do think that she gets a little coaching on how to answer certain types of questions or at least she preps herself for them, which is why we end up hearing the same answers pretty often. I think Katie is aware that she's spent three years talking about L/O being soulmates, about being in a "love triangle" in S3 with O/F which she wasn't, asking fans to tell the writers that they want O/L together...and now she's been made to understand that that is over. It's not happening, and she needs a new line to make it seem like she's not disappointed about it.

So she's gone with this "happy to be more than a love interest" thing and I honestly don't think she intends to shade Felicity or Emily. She's made it clear in the past that she doesn't pay a ton of attention to what's happening elsewhere on the show, and I think that's true here too. She doesn't realize that being dismissive of the idea of being someone's "love interest" could be seen as dismissive of other people on her show.

Totally agree with you. I don't necessarily believe that KC is intentionally throwing shade at EBR. She might throwing shade at the writers for some of their tendencies to make LL "just" a something which is what most of her arcs have translated to. In s1 she was "just" a LI. In s2 she was "just" on a downward spiral. In s3 she was "just" fulfilling her name's destiny. Traditionally they have not been good at writing an integrated and balanced story arc for LL. She has to learn to make peace with what they are writing her. So of course she is going to need to be happy whatever she gets to "be more than" this season and not "just" last season. She also seems to focus on the show from her character's perspective, I'm not sure she really pays attention to what is happening on a larger scale with the show or other characters.

Too add, I think KC is oblivious to how she says some things in a public forum & interviews and how some of that might be interpreted. She may benefit from some PR guidance. She reminds me of those pageant contestants that seem to have ideas but are unable to articulate them once the mic is in front of them. They tend to go off point, say some buzz phrases, finding their way to a point and then finish with some grand consensus that seems disconnected from the rambling answer they just provided. She's not intentionally mean or shady, she just seems inarticulate with her personal thoughts at times.

• Love 1

Trying to analyze Katies respnses like some do Laurels dialog just to try to find something negative is pretty hilarious. She doesn't hate Emily, i doubt she is shading Felicity, the show has been in production for about 2 months since she wanted O/L in may, could've read about the engagement and decided to move on. People hate if she wants O/L and they hate if she is good with her character remaining single for the time being.

KC does know that Felicity is getting her own storyline this year with being CEO of Palmer Tech, right?

It feels inauthentic to me. How can you say "lost without you" to someone (who you've only worked with intermittently for the past year) and then put down the character that she's playing?

Try working with someone everyday for a year, friendships blossom. They go on vacation together and it's friend talk.

• Love 2

The whole article kind of gave me a headache because KC's answers seemed to me so rambling and nonsensical. And it just kind of irritated me because it's yet another example of physical strength and being a "badass" being equated to heroism, which is kind of cheap, in my opinion. I'm happy that KC seems to feel that she has more of a purpose and she sounds excited to be more involved (me less so, but whatever) because it sucks to always feel left out, but, and I fully admit I'm biased here, I think she just doesn't…get it? She talks about working out and building muscles and doing more stunt work, but I can't help but think that KC isn't seeing the bigger picture. It's all cool, I'm a superhero now! But what about playing a character that has strength of spirit and heart? And showing forgiveness and humility? I know that the other characters don't always display those traits either but one thing about Sara I always liked was her sense of humility.

And not to harp on the costume thing again, but KC's pride in having input on her costume makes me cringe every time I see it. She makes a fair point about wearing a bustier to fight crime and that really is ridiculous. But I always felt like a costume should be practical, that form follows function. I get the theatricality of Batman; it's entirely intentional. Which is why I really liked the original costume worn in the Daredevil series on Netflix. It was simple, it looked like something someone put together themselves, it obscured his identity (well, sort of) and it was actually menacing-looking. I don't understand KC's insistence on looking pretty; not that she should look ugly, but unless part of her crime-fighting tactics include disarming someone with her physical beauty, then I really don't know why lipstick or nail polish matters. The bustier on CL's costume was stupid, but pretty much everything else worked for me. Ok, the wig was kind of stupid too. I wish I could be happy for KC, but she just irritates me with her word salad about being tough, and having heart and her love of fashion. Ok, we get it, you love fashion. You're at Fashion Week. You have a fashion blog. You're not an actual costume designer, and while costume designers and fashion designers might start with the same basic training, the real-life practicalities are very different. 

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble here. Of course it would take LL/KC to bring me out of lurking again. Sigh.

• Love 1