Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on all parent fics now except for "Time For a Story" since it's the only parent fic that hasn't turned me off yet.

I'm gonna check that one out; I haven't heard of it. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I'm gonna check that one out; I haven't heard of it. Thanks!

It's got lots of

Spoiler

William and Samantha

at a certain point. Just a warning.

Edited by lemotomato
10 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

It's got lots of William and Samantha at a certain point. Just a warning.

Yeah, but luckily only a few chapters out of the over 100 or so actually focus on it. Other than those few, it doesn't really focus on it at all (although it becomes background since William is a character in this universe now). Idk I don't really mind it as much in this case since William has some form of a personality and because of all of the backlash the author was forced to rush through the plot of introducing the whole drama of introducing him in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I just finished reading the Jules one-shot (it's literally taken me hours because I kept losing interest) and no. No no no. Poor little Jules! I can't believe they even told their kids about Original Ellie. How would their kids ever hold up to that standard? Yikes!

Well, at least I've dropped this quicker than I did FiCoN. That took me like 15 chapters. LOL.

YESSSS this! I was just aghast. On the one hand I get what the authors doing here... kinda... on the other... it's hard to read. 

I haven't seen enough of Olicity's relationship with Jules to say she's neglected, but she certainly acts like Ellie has been favored over her to an alarming degree. No seven year old is that severely closed off without a reason. I think this Oliver and Felicity are just too self-involved and overly dramatic (Seriously, it's exhausting. I'd need a nap after an hour in their presence.) to be good parents. 

• Love 2

Ellie was favored in this chapter by Felicity automatically going along with what Ellie wanted, and then being hurt when Jules didn't repeat back to her "I love you".  I hate how Felicity is written here, she's not a bad parent but she's a very selfish one.  Given how hurt and abandoned she felt herself because of her father being gone, it's awful to have her so failing to see how Jules feels.

Oliver is doing somewhat better, at least he notices that Jules is unhappy, but he only truly bonds with her when she's like Ellie.

And then there's that idiotic idea of telling the kids about time travel Ellie.  No wonder Jules feels left out, she knows that they planned Ellie and Nate and she's the accident.

The last two chapters got a lot of complaints from people (including me) at how Oliver and Felicity are so obviously favoring Ellie and Nate and treating Jules badly.  One of the things that struck me was when Felicity thinking that the reason Jules had vinyl records all over her room.was to rebel against her mother's tech. Get over yourself, Felicity, maybe she just appreciates the sound.

I was hoping the authors would see their own biases and correct them.  I'm sad to find I'm wrong.

• Love 3

I hate to say all these impressions of this fic 'verse are ones I agree with. These authors aren't bad writers but I definitely have a problem with how they write Oliver and Felicity... ESPECIALLY Felicity. In FiCoN, when Felicity shut down and left Oliver? I had such a hard time and it took me a few days to realize I wasn't upset because Felicity was upset or because Ellie had gone back home... but because Felicity was being so freakin SELFISH. And, in my opinion, that's out of character for her. Felicity is the sort that puts others first to her own detriment. Remember 4x06 when she wore herself to a nub trying to find Ray? Plus, it just felt wrong that she would act like she was the chief victim in this, not just considering Oliver and everyone else in that present time, but what about the other Oliver and Felicity? You know, her real parents? They had to be going mad with their daughter so far and not knowing what was happening to her for so long. And what about Ellie herself? What if she missed those parents too? It just... left a bad taste in my mouth. And once I sorted that out for myself, I had a hard time reconnecting with the story. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the extended verse feels like a lot of the same. It's disappointing, because I know it could be better. 

• Love 6

I'm 90% convinced that the authors are going to make Jules a villain in one of their future stories.  I will give the authors this. I'm usually not a big fan of original characters in fanfic but I now care more about Jules than I do about this version of Oliver and Felicity. However I don't think I'll continue to read after this as it's a bit too depressing to keep reading that almost every thought about Jules, whether from Ellie or Oliver or particularly Felicity seems to be a negative one. 

Edited by sara1121

Oliver and Felicity don't have to be perfect parents but they shouldn't be as self-centred and clueless as they are in those chapters.  I want to snatch Jules outof there and give her to someone who will love her for who she is, not only love her when she's like Ellie.  No, "her box labeled 'Secondary' or 'Unimportant'"  isn't self-created, I can see you building it for her right in this fic.

The worst part of it for me is knowing that it just gets worse for her.  By the Nate chapter when she's in her second year of university, she's so desperate to get out of that house that she moves in with her boyfriend.  I don't think the fic can be saved at this point.

• Love 3

Are on show shenanigans ruining anyone's enjoyment of fanfic right now?

Because it's starting to poison fanfic for me. It's depressing reading about how much Oliver loves Felicity etc when you read all the spoilers etc at the same time.

• Love 5
Just now, lemotomato said:

I've only been reading AU fanfic. I feel like that helps.

So have I! Hehe reading and loving a Victorian one right now!

But I will rage if I can't even enjoy AUs anymore! Part of me wonders if I should quit the show and hide and read AUs lol

1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

So have I! Hehe reading and loving a Victorian one right now!

But I will rage if I can't even enjoy AUs anymore! Part of me wonders if I should quit the show and hide and read AUs lol

I've done that before, actually. I was reading X-Files and Stargate fanfic long after I gave up on the shows themselves because I loved the characters too much to give them up. Do what you have to do!

Edited by lemotomato

I'm enjoying fanfic more at the moment because I'm not getting what I want from the show. That being said, the fics I do enjoy lately are few and far between. I'm going to start reading old ones.

13 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I'm enjoying fanfic more at the moment because I'm not getting what I want from the show. That being said, the fics I do enjoy lately are few and far between. I'm going to start reading old ones.

Me, too. I've also started re-reading some of my favorite older fics. Or, I make up Olicity stories in my head. Either one is better than watching the show for me right now. My fear is the good writers are going to drop Olicity fandom; I think it's happened already. Plus, a lot of writers I enjoy are writing stuff with Mayo, which I completely understand to work through the disappointment and/or anger, but unfortunately, that's not something I want to read. 

• Love 8
On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Are on show shenanigans insuining anyone's enjoyment of fanfic right now?

Because it's starting to poison fanfic for me. It's depressing reading about how much Oliver loves Felicity etc when you read all the spoilers etc at the same time.

I stopped reading fan fic mid to late summer. So yea, this new season and direction of the show Is Really killing my passion for fan fics.

• Love 3
On 26/10/2016 at 10:52 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Are on show shenanigans ruining anyone's enjoyment of fanfic right now?

It killed my inspiration to write, rather than read, though it's made me more impatient for resolutions to fics, rather than long meandering roads to nowhere.

I tried to read some AUs to get into fic again but I've realised I'm not interested in yet another retelling of seasons 1 to 4, but this time in MiddleEarth! or something like that. I'd like something going forward from now, but with a reconciliation (and lots of make-up sex) and Detective Mayo being erased from existence, but it ain't happening, apparently.

Also I'm kinda picky (you're for your and spelling mistakes galore are going to put me off big time), and I hate baby/kidfic.

Hannasus BigBang entry is still going, though it's slow moving and Felicity's self-doubt makes me want to shake her. And maybe Mach will continue her Walking Dead AU one day, heh.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, arjumand said:

Hannasus BigBang entry is still going, though it's slow moving and Felicity's self-doubt makes me want to shake her. And maybe Mach will continue her Walking Dead AU one day, heh.

I quit after the whole Sara thing. I knew it was going to be a fakeout but it felt so manipulative. I checked out the latest chapter out of curiosity since the fix is almost over and I just can't get behind how she writes Felicity.

• Love 2

It's cute but I honestly don't get the band aid. Oliver didn't get injured in this episode, did he? Did Felicity poke him with his own arrow? And what's with the blue and the vertical lines over the boobs' eyes? I feel very slow.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, bijoux said:

It's cute but I honestly don't get the band aid. Oliver didn't get injured in this episode, did he? Did Felicity poke him with his own arrow? And what's with the blue and the vertical lines over the boobs' eyes? I feel very slow.

That's how I took it, that Felicity thunked Oliver with his own arrow for forgetting the No. 1 rule: "Do not die," LOL! I see the blue face/vertical lines in mangas and anime and the meaning really depends on the situation. In this case, I'm thinking embarrassment, and maybe some consternation.

• Love 1

I can't with the narrator referring to Oliver as "the archer". It just sounds fake and takes me out of the story in a snap. If there are cops discissing a case, that's pretty much the only case I see it as making sense. It's a weird pet peeve, but there it is.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bijoux said:

I can't with the narrator referring to Oliver as "the archer". It just sounds fake and takes me out of the story in a snap. If there are cops discissing a case, that's pretty much the only case I see it as making sense. It's a weird pet peeve, but there it is.

It's actually one of the most common pet peeves, and the one which has been hated since the inception of fanfic, so you're in good company! I remember reading an essay about it in the 90s - it was called something like "the short man, the tall man, the blue-eyed man and all his friends", but I lost the link and never found it again).

Those are all epithets, and once you know someone's name, use that, not a descriptive epithet, unless you're writing something set in the middle ages, and sometimes not even then. In contemporary fic, it just sounds weird and overwrought, and stylistically horrendous. Like you said, it only makes sense in the context of cops discussing a case, and even then, they wouldn't be all formal about it, especially if they were talking about Prometheus - he'd just be the asshole who killed one of their brothers in blue.

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, bijoux said:

It's so funny, I never noticed it before until you guys pointed it out here. Now, every time I see it in fic, it takes me right out of the story.

A+ on the music. Excellent use of Donna, Laurel and Malcolm. Missed opportunity not having Roy thought bubble, "Yeah, you are", after Felicity's, "I'm working on it." At least he got decked later on for sneaking a peak.

8 hours ago, EmilyBettFan said:

I need some long fics to read. The best ones. Anyway know? Thanks

This is an edited version of the tumblr 'Olicity fic survey' I filled out - arranged by genre rather than length - but a lot of them are pretty long.

Genres

General

My fics are here: my fics; I have 5 Arrow fics, all Olicity - some are long, some aren't - enjoy!

• Love 3

A nice look back (not crazy about the song, but I like the collection of scenes/moments) - just a reminder of what seems to have been wiped out this season...

Oliver and Felicity - 4 years of Olicity
Published on Oct 25, 2016, by NewViRe LoVe

9 hours ago, EmilyBettFan said:

I need some long fics to read. The best ones. Anyway know? Thanks

I don't know what you mean with long but:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7455738/chapters/16942293 Run To The Water is AU, recently completed and lovely.

-http://archiveofourown.org/works/7455738/chapters/16942293 Mosters in the dark: it's a rewrite of S1 with a fantasy element..I thought I wasn't going to like it for that reason but it's great.

-http://archiveofourown.org/works/5472908/chapters/12647312 Something inside this heart has died: AU and written in first person. If you don't hate fics written in first person it's very, very good.

-http://archiveofourown.org/works/5472908/chapters/12647312 Actions speak louder than words: Felicity gets in trouble with the press for *spoiler* Oliver, LOL

-http://archiveofourown.org/works/2697512/chapters/6037037 What happened in Vegas: my favorite drunk married fic..

• Love 1
4 hours ago, arjumand said:

This is an edited version of the tumblr 'Olicity fic survey' I filled out - arranged by genre rather than length - but a lot of them are pretty long.

Genres

General

My fics are here: my fics; I have 5 Arrow fics, all Olicity - some are long, some aren't - enjoy!

Thank you! I better get reading!

4 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I don't know what you mean with long but:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7455738/chapters/16942293 Run To The Water is AU, recently completed and lovely.

-http://archiveofourown.org/works/7455738/chapters/16942293 Mosters in the dark: it's a rewrite of S1 with a fantasy element..I thought I wasn't going to like it for that reason but it's great.

-http://archiveofourown.org/works/5472908/chapters/12647312 Something inside this heart has died: AU and written in first person. If you don't hate fics written in first person it's very, very good.

-http://archiveofourown.org/works/5472908/chapters/12647312 Actions speak louder than words: Felicity gets in trouble with the press for *spoiler* Oliver, LOL

-http://archiveofourown.org/works/2697512/chapters/6037037 What happened in Vegas: my favorite drunk married fic..

Thanks for this list!

Curious has anyone ever checked out fanfic for Flash or LoT?

Do they have as good fanfic as Olicity? Don't want to read any just curious as we have awesome Olicity fanfic. 

I'm too lazy to bother doing a search so hoping some of the other fans will answer me!

Fitzsimmons fanfic is not very good! 

On 10/26/2016 at 4:07 PM, lemotomato said:

I've only been reading AU fanfic. I feel like that helps.

I'm also good with going back and reading fics set season 2 or during the summer between 2 and 3 that go AU after that.  But the happy ones in season 4 just remind me of what comes next and I wasn't ready to see them back together so quick after the BMD so late season 4 and over the summer fics are out as well.  

I am getting nearer to wanting to read fixes for what we have now since I think the actual fix will be long in coming, but I'm not quite there yet but am hopeful.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Thundercatmary said:

So it looks like Olicity Queen stopped uploading her Olicity vids on youtube, it's so upsetting to me because I would always go there to watch their scenes. Hopefully she comes back. :/

Oh damn. I was counting on her channel so I don't have to watch the episodes anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Thundercatmary said:

So it looks like Olicity Queen stopped uploading her Olicity vids on youtube, it's so upsetting to me because I would always go there to watch their scenes. Hopefully she comes back. :/

I noticed today that her last upload was two weeks ago. Sad, but unsurprising. Fanfic will probably take a hit, too. Writing fix it fic requires some optimism, and I don't see a whole lot of that right now. Plus, it's been what, 8 months of fix it fic with nothing positive? Rough times ahead, etc. 

It is literally like the balloon has been popped. Fandom (or maybe just the Olicity fandom) is like the shrivelled deflated balloon in the corner. Haha.

Well I just hope the writers are careful, you can only push your audience so far before their gone for good. Despite my annoyance etc I do like most of the cast and want them and the show to do well.

Edited by Thundercatmary
  • Love 3