Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

I think @Angel12d was though. And I'm just writing the story to its end in my head.

Spoiler

Donna gets better, Ellie will end up fine since her grown up version IS still there and the new mayor will quit, be run out of town or dead before their first year in office is up. 

Anxious is definitely not the word I would use at all. I have no skin in this game because I won't be reading any of their other FiCoN stories. I was just disappointed that

Spoiler

what I hoped would be a fluffy family reunion when Ellie went back to her real timeline turned out to be a whole load of meh that was simply set up of future works/plots. 

Okay, anxious is too strong a word, I'm just saying I think 

Spoiler

it's unlikely this will result in anything, since as far as I know they have detailed plans to write in the split timeline universe, the one in which Ellie is the middle child, not in this "original" timeline, where she is the first born.

But yeah, I had the same expectations for this installment.

14 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Okay, anxious is too strong a word, I'm just saying I think 

Hide contents

it's unlikely this will result in anything, since as far as I know they have detailed plans to write in the split timeline universe, the one in which Ellie is the middle child, not in this "original" timeline, where she is the first born.

But yeah, I had the same expectations for this installment.

That kind of makes it worse tbh. Haha.

Spoiler

If there's no plans to write in the original timeline in future fics, why introduce all these various plots about Donna dying and Oliver losing his re-election and all of that when they could have just wrapped it up with the fluffy family reunion? Now it feels even more pointless, IMO. IDK. I suppose none of this really matters but that was my initial reaction.

Eh, I don't know whether it's better or worse, but they've been tweeting about

Spoiler

coming up with various scenarious and headcanons for Julianna, Ellie and Nate, and my impression is that they're definitely planning to use these "new" versions of the characters. I'm actually fine with it, since there's less chance I'll get sucked down that rabbit's hole.

12 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

I'm glad you liked it!I'm not going to go back and read that chapter, but has Felicity (or Oliver, for that matter) mentioned any concern that

Hide contents

she isn't going to have this version Ellie? I know there were some questions about having her at all earlier in the story when they were making changes to the timeline, but I don't think there have been lately? I don't recall either one of them in-text being worried about not getting exactly this Ellie back. The general idea seems to be that they just won't see her for a while, which is why this reaction doesn't really make all that much sense IMO. 

I don't particularly care about Felicity not wanting to let Ellie's own father hold her when he first came back, but I do think it was a real mistake to have Felicity have this complete breakdown over Ellie from Oliver's POV. And what bothered me wasn't necessarily that she was so intent on them having sex on the date of Ellie's conception, it was that she was so intent on doing it while acting like she didn't think she and Oliver were going to be together at that point in time. Why? I don't recall him ever trying to run from this relationship, and only recall him having minor doubts about it once, early on, when he had to deny Ellie was his daughter. It seems completely out of nowhere even for someone who's having an emotional breakdown (and even though they did plant a seed for Felicity's abandonment issues earlier in the story when she found out she was pregnant), and is another example of the authors just not being able to help themselves when it comes to throwing yet another plot twist into the mix - because there's no reason why we need to see this Oliver fighting for his family - he doesn't have anything to prove to Felicity as they've written him thus far. 

I appreciate that they tried to mitigate the response with the author's note, but that they knew the reaction was going to be bad indicates to me that they knew this was coming out of left-field, which IMO means they should've rethought things. 

There was stuff that I interpreted as yes, they were also reacting to that.

Spoiler

I also don't feel like scrubbing through three very long chapters lol, but I do specifically remember that they mentioned that even if they had Ellie in the future, the strawberry waffles and fairy treehouses, none of that will have happened.  Even just the initial conversations between future Oliver and them about how they were going to seal the breach so that Ellie would have a different childhood reinforced that thought.  

Again, I haven't read the latest chapter but I was more defending her reaction and breakdown over not wanting to let go of Ellie even if there were lots of rational reasons why she should.  But that's kind of the point;  she did let Ellie go no matter how very hard it was.  Her emotional instincts were to keep her no matter what but the second it started impacting Ellie, Felicity came to her senses.  It didn't stop her from being tremendously sad but I don't think anyone was really criticizing her for that. 

I don't love hearing that Felicity framed her "request" that she and Oliver have sex on Ellie's conception date no matter what as if she thinks they wouldn't be together but I really don't have a problem believing she was being irrationally focused on making sure that Ellie came back to them in some form without being overly concerned about hurting anyone's feelings.  If that kind of behavior continued, I'd be concerned but a knee jerk reaction immediately after Ellie is taken from them is something I find very understandable.  

I do think the author's have a bad habit of over emoting and their wallowing in Felicity's pain and internal gut reaction did IMO reasonably make the reader stop and question what Felicity was doing but I also think it was intentional as a way of underlining her distress.  And again, that she didn't actually cross that line and try to steal away with Ellie, is what kept it for me believable and kept Felicity still very sympathetic and relatable. 

The warning in the chapter was more about dragging the reader though the emotional lows of grief and then leaving them there for a week.  It's a writing technique that works better when reading everything at once than spread out.  When it can be consumed all at once it IMO pushed you to keep reading to get to that better place but week to week it IMO misdirects the spotlight onto unintended flaws. 

7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:
Spoiler

The warning in the chapter was more about dragging the reader though the emotional lows of grief and then leaving them there for a week.  It's a writing technique that works better when reading everything at once than spread out.  When it can be consumed all at once it IMO pushed you to keep reading to get to that better place but week to week it IMO misdirects the spotlight onto unintended flaws. 

Eh, I disagree. I write and read a lot, and if a story is

Spoiler

following an emotional arc where the appropriate groundwork has been laid previously so that the reactions of the people involved mostly make sense, you don't need to convince your audience to stick with you through whatever lows you're taking the characters to, no matter how long you're leaving them hanging there. The note also annoyed me because I find tissue warnings self-congratulatory and obnoxious. 

4 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Eh, I disagree. I write and read a lot, and if a story is

Hide contents

following an emotional arc where the appropriate groundwork has been laid previously so that the reactions of the people involved mostly make sense, you don't need to convince your audience to stick with you through whatever lows you're taking the characters to, no matter how long you're leaving them hanging there. The note also annoyed me because I find tissue warnings self-congratulatory and obnoxious. 

I only meant that in general I think the FICON reads waaaaay better when you don't have to wait for the next chapter. 

6 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

SuperSillyAndDorky06 who writes The Predator is back after a lengthy absence. I know this fic is way OOC, but I love it so much and am very happy she's returned. The Predator - Chapter 12

omg squeeeeee

I love her stories! LOVED The Phoenix! It's up there on my list of favourites! Totally OOC but in such a great way! Helps me escape from the horrors of season 4! 

I like cherchersketch's better to be honest. Lord Mesa's is cute, but Felicity is not Dory. I see more of a parallel with Thea there, what with forgetting hating lies or that her brother has saved her butt uncountable times.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, wonderwall said:

A very fluffy one shot of Oliver proposing to Felicity like how Derek proposed to Meredith on Grey's. It's so sweet :) 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/8247190

Aw, sweet. I needed that. Last night I accidentally read a fic tagged as O/F but it was really about Felicity falling for Mayo Bread and I still want to rub Purell on my brain. It was from an author I usually really enjoy too. Betrayal! Haha.

In other fic news, FiCoN is finally complete coming under 450K, which is the real plot twist of the story.

In all honesty though, I didn't think the last chapter was too bad (not really making up for anything or even close to be a great chapter, but still).

Don't they have one-shots and sequels lined up? That FiCoN universe is gonna be over million words. LOL. Yikes!

Edited by Guest

I will preface this by saying that I do realize that there are however many one-shots coming that will likely flesh it out, and that it was mainly written this way because of

Spoiler

the "twist," but I really wish we'd gotten to see some of Oliver and Felicity with Julianna before Ellie came, because I kind of got the feeling (even though like I wrote above, I know it was written this way for the "twist" and because Ellie is newly arrived and Julianna is three years old) the way it was written in the story that Ellie was the golden child and Julianna was just there (like referring to her as "the familiar three-year old").

I've always had a little bit of an ick feeling about it since Ellie was the catalyst for so many good things for them, that she'd be held in higher regard. The authors have totally gone out of their way to try and negate that, but it lingers for me, haha.

57 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I read the one shot about Felicity and detective tiny hands by accident too and I have to say it wasn't exactly a peasant experience but I'd rather read more of that author's one shots about them than a FICON sequel. I don't know what it says about me, LOL.

One of my issues is that I liked their 5+1 fic (minus the last chapter really), which was just in the normal timeline, and I'm not too fond of this new timeline version of the characters. I'd rather read something about current-ish (s4-s5) Olicity than this.

4 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

I will preface this by saying that I do realize that there are however many one-shots coming that will likely flesh it out, and that it was mainly written this way because of

Hide contents

the "twist," but I really wish we'd gotten to see some of Oliver and Felicity with Julianna before Ellie came, because I kind of got the feeling (even though like I wrote above, I know it was written this way for the "twist" and because Ellie is newly arrived and Julianna is three years old) the way it was written in the story that Ellie was the golden child and Julianna was just there (like referring to her as "the familiar three-year old").

I've always had a little bit of an ick feeling about it since Ellie was the catalyst for so many good things for them, that she'd be held in higher regard. The authors have totally gone out of their way to try and negate that, but it lingers for me, haha.

I can't say I'm surprised by this development. I vented on this issue a while back. 

Spoiler

What was the twist, was it just the story ending with Ellie's birth and not Julianna's, who will clearly always be the lesser daughter, or something else? I got this unnerving feeling that they (Felicity in particular) would spend Julianna's early years just biding time until Ellie comes. God, I hope that poor kid at least got the attention it deserved from someone. Moira, Donna, Thea, Roy, Dig, anyone.

9 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I can't say I'm surprised by this development. I vented on this issue a while back. 

Hide contents

What was the twist, was it just the story ending with Ellie's birth and not Julianna's, who will clearly always be the lesser daughter, or something else? I got this unnerving feeling that they (Felicity in particular) would spend Julianna's early years just biding time until Ellie comes. God, I hope that poor kid at least got the attention it deserved from someone. Moira, Donna, Thea, Roy, Dig, anyone.

Spoiler

Yeah, it was that Ellie was being born, not Julianna (it happened KIND OF like it happened in the one-shot collection -and also in a van). 

Edited by apinknightmare

Meh, I wasn't that crazy about it in the 5+1 fic and I actually care about those characters. I'm ceratinly not going to read it again about a Felicity I don't care about. What happened with other characters?

6 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Meh, I wasn't that crazy about it in the 5+1 fic and I actually care about those characters. I'm ceratinly not going to read it again about a Felicity I don't care about. What happened with other characters?

The chapter was just

Spoiler

Oliver and Felicity walking down an alley after a mission, Felicity getting punched by some criminals and going into labor afterwards. He called Diggle to drive them to the hospital - he was the only other character that appeared. He made mention of Moira and Donna getting some breakfast before they went up too meet Ellie (but the story ended before they came). Thea and Roy sent their congrats through Diggle (didn't appear - and...did Thea's storyline ever wrap up? I can't remember). That was it. 

1 minute ago, bijoux said:

Nothing about 

Hide contents

Thea's Vertigo/Mirakuru roid rage in previous chapters? Did Laurel give up the ghost or pull through?

Nothing about any of that in this chapter.

Spoiler

I think they addressed Laurel in one of the previous chapters? About how Oliver tipped the doctor off to a blood clot, but she still had a long recovery. I don't recall reading anything about Thea though, but I might've skimmed. 

30 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Hide contents

To be fair, FiCoN was originally supposed to be about Ellie and her interactions with past Oliver and Felicity. Then the story got sidetracked for a good 40 chapters

Spoiler

with only the occasional focus on Ellie until the end. So for me, it  made sense to that they would end it with Ellie 2.0's birth. I didn't see it as a snub of Julianna, who the authors have said that they'll explore more in one-shots/sequels.

I'm not really talking about this last chapter that I haven't nor really plan to read, but the feeling I got from those chapters where I stopped reading. I don't plan on reading the one shots since I can't say I'm interested in reading about Oliver and Felicity's grown up children. This isn't my issue with any particular author, just my reading preference. The one kid I could actually reading about is Josephine from one of Macha's fics, the one who spent her teens with Dig and Lyla. She sounded like an interesting character in her own right, extending from being her parents' kid and how she was created through their influence, so I could see myself at least giving her possible story a go.

7 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

To be fair, FiCoN was originally supposed to be about Ellie and her interactions with past Oliver and Felicity. Then the story got sidetracked for a good 40 chapters

Hide contents

with only the occasional focus on Ellie until the end. So for me, it  made sense to that they would end it with Ellie 2.0's birth. I didn't see it as a snub of Julianna, who the authors have said that they'll explore more in one-shots/sequels.

I think it made sense to

Spoiler

end on Ellie's birth. I just think that since it seemed like they wanted to trick readers into thinking that the baby being born was Ellie that what little bit that we did get with Julianna seemed kind of...underwhelming. And we didn't get to see their first interactions with her (which like I wrote I do realize they'll likely be covering in another story), so if you'd just been reading THIS one, IMO the way they covered Julianna's existence at the end could leave the impression that Julianna was the kid they had while they were waiting for Ellie to arrive. They did go to great lengths to explain how excited Oliver was about her in the one shot that they've posted, it's just that in the context of this story and with the last few chapters focusing on them grieving Ellie - skipping to the part where they have her and completely leaving the other daughter out of it was a bit of a disservice to the story they actually wound up telling. 

6 hours ago, Angel12d said:

Aw, sweet. I needed that. Last night I accidentally read a fic tagged as O/F but it was really about Felicity falling for Mayo Bread and I still want to rub Purell on my brain. It was from an author I usually really enjoy too. Betrayal! Haha.

bahahahaha you poor sucker! I saw that fic and thought "WTF someone ships Mayo and Felicity?" (although to be fair there is a ship for everyone I suppose)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

bahahahaha you poor sucker! I saw that fic and thought "WTF someone ships Mayo and Felicity?" (although to be fair there is a ship for everyone I suppose)

I was just about to read it but caught the Felicity/Mayo tag, and noped right out of my email notification. I couldn't take 20 seconds of him in show; I have zero desire to read about him. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I guess there is a ship for everyone but how can you ship something that was on screen for a total of 1 minute, if that?

To be fair though, Oliver is never far from her mind in that particular fic but it did come across as Felicity settling and I don't want to read that either.

Basically Mayo Bread should be banned.

Edited by Guest
15 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Just to defend the author's honor--she definitely does not ship Felicity and Mayo. The fic was supposed to be mostly about Felicity's evolving mindset and how she could have gotten to the point of dating Mayo and how that reflected on her feelings re: Oliver, but since the author didn't explicitly make it about O/F or get them back together in the end, I think people felt misled. But, uh yeah, she def does not like Mayo or Felicity/Mayo, haha.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Basically Mayo Bread should be banned.

hahaha this cracked me up!

I've read and enjoyed other stuff by that author. I think it's her way of processing her Olicity trauma. 

It's actually interesting to see the kind of fics that are cropping up after season 4 and how people are dealing with their Olicity trauma!

I was soooooooo looking forward to Macha's OFBB fic and then BAM, it had spawn in it. I can't deal with anything remotely spawn related so couldn't read it *sniffles*

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

hahaha this cracked me up!

I've read and enjoyed other stuff by that author. I think it's her way of processing her Olicity trauma. 

It's actually interesting to see the kind of fics that are cropping up after season 4 and how people are dealing with their Olicity trauma!

I only clicked on it because I love that author's work. And I totally think she was just trying to write Felicity's POV/process her Olicity trauma. I just wish I hadn't read it, that's all. I'm more of an 'out of sight, out of mind' person so I'd rather ignore the boyfriend in fics tbh.

I've been noticing something a lot in fics lately, and I'm just wondering if it bothers other people as much as it does me. 

It seems like I keep reading this fics where Oliver and Felicity are in the early stages of a romantic relationship and someone, usually Dig, takes it upon themselves to warn Oliver not to hurt Felicity. I mean, I get it. You don't want your friend getting hurt, but it still bugs me. 

1. Felicity's an adult woman. She can look out for herself. I get shades of chauvinism every time this happens  

2. These people are usually Oliver's friends two. I know he's much more likely to do something dumb, but why aren't they worried about him getting hurt too?

I'm not the only one who gets annoyed every time I see this, am I?

• Love 2

Maybe just me but I don't mind so much that Diggle warns Oliver not to hurt Felicity because he really is a flashing danger sign for a relationship between the PTSD and the inability to know what love is, and season 1 and 2 Felicity seems like she doesn't have the experience to see it and realize what a bad idea it is.  I suppose Digg could tell Felicity to be careful what she wishes for but she would probably just ignore him.  He's screwed up and well able to inadvertently hurt Felicity whereas back then she was less broken.  Now, after Oliver's lies and Havenrock, she's also a bad bet for a relationship and I would be okay with Digg warning Felictiy not to hurt Mayo if I cared anything a obout him.

Are you talking about theshipsfirstmate above?  I think she's a good writer but I barely got through her Oliver and Felicity being estranged in I’m Sure We’re Taller in Another Dimension . And then Felicity starting a relationship with Det. Mayo in I Saw a Life and I Called It Mine I just couldn't deal with.  I hate what's happening on the show so much right now I'd rather read AUs than fic about season 5.

• Love 2