Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, kismet said:

I read this story. I am very behind on most of my fanfics, but always feel the need to read these updates as soon as I see them. I find the story compelling. Although, I must admit it has absolutely nothing to do with Arrow and the characters are completely nothing like they are in Arrow. I don't want to call it OOC, because I feel like they all act within character for the story but the only things they really share with Arrow is their names & physical characteristics.

If the story was a book, and not an Arrow fanfic I would probably be into it. But I just can't read it as an Olicity fic. The part where Donna brushed off thirteen year old Felicity when she said that she felt uncomfortable with how much the photographer was touching her was not the Donna that the show has given us. I just need my AU fics to still have the characters be who they are in the show, even in different "worlds". 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, HighHopes said:

If the story was a book, and not an Arrow fanfic I would probably be into it. But I just can't read it as an Olicity fic. The part where Donna brushed off thirteen year old Felicity when she said that she felt uncomfortable with how much the photographer was touching her was not the Donna that the show has given us. I just need my AU fics to still have the characters be who they are in the show, even in different "worlds". 

Agree, if I wanted it to be an AU for Arrow/Olicity. I just don't think of it as an Olicity or Arrow fic. To me its just a story I'm reading. The fact that it is completely separate of Arrow is not a problem for me. A compelling story is a compelling story.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I know the last FiCoN chapter was supposed to be sad, but all it did was enrage me.

Spoiler

I found this timeline's Oliver and Felicity to behave as selfish assholes for the most of it for making Ellie's actual father, one who's loved her for years, into an outsider who had to pussyfoot around them. And THEN, Felicity turns into effing Barry! Leave the gap open regardless of the danger for literally everyone! Oh. My. God. I realize the writers were going for emotional distress and maybe even hormones in Felicity's case, but I can honestly not see original flavor Felicity doing this. This isn't even Moira's reasoning that the lives of her family matter more than anyone else's, it literally Felicity endangering the lives of her present and future family. I can't even.

13 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

I read the latest chapter of FICON. I scoffed at the warning at the beginning but then

Reveal hidden contents

totally ended up tearing up. I'm emotionally unstable.

I am so very happy to read that there's only 3 chapters left. I hope they keep to that. 

Yeah, I wondered about the warning when most of the chapter seemed to be lots of 

Spoiler

Action and figuring out time travel. But then little Ellie leaves and older Ellie tries to reassure Oliver and Felicity and I've got tears rolling down my face

I'm easily emotionally manipulated, I think.

• Love 2
On 2016-09-16 at 1:42 PM, bijoux said:

Huh. I never got that impression. Like, I get maybe the characters are supposed to be wondering, but I haven't been as a reader. I'm more inclined to believe that 

Hide contents

Oliver is dyslexic, which is why he had trouble with the last minute changes. Felicity noticed he had the old stuff down pat. So I imagine that caused insecurity which lead to him lashing out.

That's the feeling I got from the first two chapters but now I'm starting to doubt that.  But it must be very difficult to write something like that unless you've got personal experience with it.

I don't remember seeing I'd Start a Riot by Kayleegee recc'd here yet.  It's a pretty good adventure fic set post season 3 with Oliver and Felicity back in town but Oliver's Bratva past catches up with him.  It's got nice beats of character interspersed with action and realistic interactions among the characters.

• Love 1
On 9/16/2016 at 0:58 PM, apinknightmare said:

Of the OFBB fics I'm reading Macha's which is great, like the majority of her writing is. I've been reading hannasus's fic too, which I also like. I'm a little worried about what's going to happen in that fic since

Thanks for the Rec. I skipped it because it was so AU bit i enjoyed catching up on the first 4 chapters. 

• Love 1
On 2016-09-16 at 7:04 PM, HighHopes said:

I agree.  I think it might even have worked better with Thea and Roy as her bodyguard and Moira as her pushy  mother.  But while I can see Oliver maybe, it's not Felicity at all except for some throw-away comments like she was good in school. And it's really not Donna, who would probably have scratched the eyes out of anyone who touched her under-age daughter, and while she didn't understand Felicity, she wouldn't have hit her.

The thing that makes a good AU for me is that the characters stay true to who they are and are just put into a different universe (like MachaSWicket's zombie fic or dettoit's 20's Let's Misbehave).  I get the feeling from that fic that she wanted to write that story and took the characters of Felicity and Oliver to people it.

• Love 2

Many good recommendations for the zombie fic,

Spoiler

but I find that Felicity quite annoying and overbearing. The show did a fantastic job of allowing Felicity to remain stedfast that not everyone should be killed, but sometimes needs must. But this Felicity, in apocalyptic craziness, is mad at Oliver for killing a bunch of cannibals. Nope. Then we have Oliver who was 2 grunts from being an actual caveman. 

It gets better, but that second chapter really killed my enjoyment.

• Love 1

I took the second chapter more as how they saw each other at first. So for me it was Felicity through Oliver's eyes and vice versa. It worked that way for me. Plus, the latest chapter is pretty near perfect in my eyes, it hits so many of the things I love about them. 

If I were to complain about one thing, it would be 

Spoiler

Felicity hurling herself into danger. Yes, if yu're not leaving, I'm not leaving, has been a thread through the show. However, Felicity also moves out of the way when necessary. In an instance or two she actually veered toward Laurel territory, to be frank.

26 minutes ago, Password said:

Many good recommendations for the zombie fic,

Hide contents

but I find that Felicity quite annoying and overbearing. The show did a fantastic job of allowing Felicity to remain stedfast that not everyone should be killed, but sometimes needs must. But this Felicity, in apocalyptic craziness, is mad at Oliver for killing a bunch of cannibals. Nope. Then we have Oliver who was 2 grunts from being an actual caveman. 

It gets better, but that second chapter really killed my enjoyment.

Oh hell yeah, to what you say in the spoiler space. Especially when

Spoiler

she gets angry that Oliver wants to weapon up when they're heading for Starling - like HEY LADY, REMEMBER ZOMBIES? For fuck's sake. That bugged me so much. And yes to the Oliver weirdness. Also, WTF was all the William stuff? I'm starting to think that Macha actually enjoyed the baby mama drama.

Good thing there was that meltdown earlier about a comment on another fic calling her Felicity out of character - otherwise I might have pointed out that the Felicity in Constellations is out of character not only for show Felicity, but for a Felicity who has lived for THREE YEARS in the zombie post-apocalypse (then I would have gotten the tumblr/twitter smackdown - no thanks).

And I'm not completely won over by it either. The third chapter had

Spoiler

lots of side characters etc who I didn't give a fuck about when they were on the show - in fact, I just now realised that Sebastian was 'Sebastian Blood', that's how much I didn't care, and skipped a lot of that chapter.

And now it's finally starting to pick up, and the story is almost over. And I know, it's 'Volume 1' or something, but I gave up on you have not failed this verse because it seemed to be never ending, and decided to treat the 46 (!!!) chapters as a finished story. And Macha has two other unfinished stories (besides Constellations) to juggle.

I guess what I'm saying is, I still haven't found my perfect Olicity zombie apocalypse fic. I know the answer to that is 'write one yourself', but I pretty much think I'm done with Arrow fanfic writing. There's a crackfic crossover I have in mind, but that's just for emergencies.

It's weird, for all my complaints about Season 3, it really inspired me. Season 4, besides the initial visuals of the flashbacks, did the opposite.

There was actually a great Olicity zombie fic but it was never finished. It was set in s3 and Felicity wakes up in the foundry after her date with Oliver exploded.  But she doesn't know it's been a week or that Starling is now in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. 

Edit: It's called Scattered by andachippedcup. I actually had it bookmarked!

Edited by Guest

I had to give up on Into You Like a Train, it wasn't perfect, but it had been enjoyable. However the last chapter had Oliver act more like Stephen Amell than Oliver. I just can't see Oliver getting obsessed with Snpachat and using the different filters?? And I definitely don't think Oliver would post work out selfies, Pre-Island Oliver maybe?, but this isn't supposed to be frat-boy pre-island Oliver in the fic? 

• Love 1

I thought I was the only one to find that Oliver more Stephen than Oliver, LOL. And it's weird to me..I'm still reading it because it's not bad all things considered but it's weird.

I wasn't loving Macha's fic for the reasons you all said and the BMD scarred me so much I have troubles enjoying fics with that kid in it but the last chapter had it all, I really enjoyed it.

11 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I thought I was the only one to find that Oliver more Stephen than Oliver, LOL. And it's weird to me..I'm still reading it because it's not bad all things considered but it's weird.

I haven't read that fic, but it's pretty common that Actor AUs are basically RPF in disguise. Why people do this instead of just...putting it in the RPS tag, I do not know (jk I do know). Again, no clue about this one, but it sounds like it feels a little that way, probably unintentionally. (RP ships are almost always NOTPs for me, so I tend to skip Actor AUs because I get that feeling often, and it turns me off.)

8 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

I haven't read that fic, but it's pretty common that Actor AUs are basically RPF in disguise. Why people do this instead of just...putting it in the RPS tag, I do not know (jk I do know). Again, no clue about this one, but it sounds like it feels a little that way, probably unintentionally. (RP ships are almost always NOTPs for me, so I tend to skip Actor AUs because I get that feeling often, and it turns me off.)

No, I don't think is that..her Felicity is the Felicity of the show (and isn't an actress in the fic by the way) and I think more than anything in an effort to make her Oliver more believable as an actor and different from pre island Oliver she took inspiration, maybe without realizing it, from Stephen. The result is like a mix of the two IMO..a bit of the Oliver of the show and some things that I couldn't see Oliver do, ever, but I could see Stephen do.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Angel12d said:

There was actually a great Olicity zombie fic but it was never finished. It was set in s3 and Felicity wakes up in the foundry after her date with Oliver exploded.  But she doesn't know it's been a week or that Starling is now in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. 

Edit: It's called Scattered by andachippedcup. I actually had it bookmarked!

I'll have a look at it, thanks!

41 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I wasn't loving Macha's fic for the reasons you all said and the BMD scarred me so much I have troubles enjoying fics with that kid in it but the last chapter had it all, I really enjoyed it.

Yeah, the latest chapter was really good, and the reason for it was that all the other characters were elsewhere, and it was only about Oliver and Felicity. There was no this character's drama, and that character's issue, and the other character's bla bla bla. It was pared down and very lean, which is the whole point of post-apocalypse, I always think.

I tried Absolution - I've read most, if not all, the chapters, but I didn't really enjoy it. Again, too many ancillary characters, Felicity and Oliver very separate, working separately, not really getting a chance to get to know each other.

Edited by arjumand
2 hours ago, arjumand said:

Oh hell yeah, to what you say in the spoiler space. Especially when

Reveal hidden contents

she gets angry that Oliver wants to weapon up when they're heading for Starling - like HEY LADY, REMEMBER ZOMBIES? For fuck's sake. That bugged me so much. And yes to the Oliver weirdness. Also, WTF was all the William stuff? I'm starting to think that Macha actually enjoyed the baby mama drama.

Hide contents

I don't think it's that she 

Spoiler

enjoyed the storyline, more that The Walking Dead has a father son duo and she used William for that. Also, Samantha is not only dead, but finished off by Oliver's hand. It helps me deal.

1 hour ago, HighHopes said:

I had to give up on Into You Like a Train, it wasn't perfect, but it had been enjoyable. However the last chapter had Oliver act more like Stephen Amell than Oliver. I just can't see Oliver getting obsessed with Snpachat and using the different filters?? And I definitely don't think Oliver would post work out selfies, Pre-Island Oliver maybe?, but this isn't supposed to be frat-boy pre-island Oliver in the fic? 

Oh yeah, that was my tipping point as well. I'm not interested in RPF at all and this instance was totally Steve, not Oliver.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don't think it's that she 

Hide contents

enjoyed the storyline, more that The Walking Dead has a father son duo and she used William for that. Also, Samantha is not only dead, but finished off by Oliver's hand. It helps me deal.

Lol, you just made me spit all my coffee out, so thanks! You're absolutely right, it does help.

Re. the references - that truly never occurred to me. I haven't watched that show since the first season - and truly, even if it's there, you don't have to use it. That just reminds me of Velocity, which I liked because it's Speed, which is one of my favourite movies.

Ugh, whatever. I guess I'm just disappointed by the first few chapters, which were just treading water and introspection, IMO. Then, when it really gets good, it's over, the first part at least.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, arjumand said:

I'll have a look at it, thanks!

Just a heads up though, it is unfinished and probably will remain that way. It's been a long time since an update. But I enjoyed most of what was already written. :)

I tried reading the latest FiCoN update, but I stopped pretty early on. I need someone to tell me if something of substance actually happens or if it's all 

Spoiler

them mourning Ellie leaving? I'm still harboring resentment from the last chapter and the beginning of this one doesn't alleviate it. All I can think about is they are going to fuck up the kid Felicity is actually pregnant with so badly if this continues. Also, Ellie is effing where she belongs.

It would be pretty ironic if I finally broke down at home stretch. The chapter is marked 40/42.

3 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I tried reading the latest FiCoN update, but I stopped pretty early on. I need someone to tell me if something of substance actually happens or if it's all 

Hide contents

them mourning Ellie leaving? I'm still harboring resentment from the last chapter and the beginning of this one doesn't alleviate it. All I can think about is they are going to fuck up the kid Felicity is actually pregnant with so badly if this continues. Also, Ellie is effing where she belongs.

It would be pretty ironic if I finally broke down at home stretch. The chapter is marked 40/42.

Well, I just skimmed it, but, concerning "substance," (ex: stuff actually happening) 

Spoiler

Felicity leaves and Oliver calls Samantha about William

but it's not really a pick-me-up after the previous chapter at all. In fact, it kind of gets sadder, even though there's kind of hints of it getting better within the next chapter. 

Wow. Home stretch and we get 

Spoiler

Samantha and William? Come on, that couldn't have been explained in the epilogue or whatever? I hope Feliciy at least took Donna with her so someone makes sure the pregnant lady eats while she's busy wallowing. And what is her reason for leaving anyhow?

So, I'm not the only one. Even ough the last chapter really pissed me off and warnings started going off back when Felicity first started thinking she wanted to keep Ellie, screw future her, she brought it on herself. Is the real denoument that time splitting resulted in Felicity becoming unhinged?

2 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Hide contents

Samantha and William? Come on, that couldn't have been explained in the epilogue or whatever? I hope Feliciy at least took Donna with her so someone makes sure the pregnant lady eats while she's busy wallowing. And what is her reason for leaving anyhow?

Spoiler

She never really got out a full reason why. But she did manage to make Oliver promise they'd have sex on the day they know Ellie is concieved "no matter what happens between us," which is where I'm pretty sure the fic lost me. 

• Love 1

@apinknightmare, thanks. Also, LOLOLOLOL. I can't even. Now I'm thinking there needs to be a future fic with Felicity in the role of the villain. 

Spoiler

She neglects the first born and lives in isolation with her until she needs Oliver to knock her up. Then when Ellie is born, she's super chipper and obsessed with her, ignoring the first child even more, while becoming super obsessed with Ellie.

Yes, that's how horrible I think Felicity has become in this fic.

3 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Hide contents

It's really mostly just still the emotional fallout for the previous chapter than it is the stuff I mentioned.

Spoiler

Yeah, she left with Donna (somewhat because the mansion has all of their kid's stuff in it along with the memories) but she's not talking to anyone while Oliver is trying to move on by dealing with the baby mama thing and Thea and by talking to other people.

At least it's almost done and the actual pick-up will probably come next chapter. 

Spoiler

I just think this particular turn was unneeded. I'm guessing they want to show that this Oliver is completely ready to be a loving and supportive partner by throwing a little bit of adversity at him to see how he copes - and letting him pick up Felicity's pieces for once, but from the way he's been written till now, I don't need to see this because I already believe it. And I know grief makes people act OOC, but—I'm not trying to sound cold-hearted here—it isn't as if Ellie has died. This is a kid that they have the luxury of knowing that they'll see again. So it just seems kind of overwrought to me. IDK.

• Love 2
Just now, apinknightmare said:
  Hide contents

I just think this particular turn was unneeded. I'm guessing they want to show that this Oliver is completely ready to be a loving and supportive partner by throwing a little bit of adversity at him to see how he copes - and letting him pick up Felicity's pieces for once, but from the way he's been written till now, I don't need to see this because I already believe it. And I know grief makes people act OOC, but—I'm not trying to sound cold-hearted here—it isn't as if Ellie has died. This is a kid that they have the luxury of knowing that they'll see again. So it just seems kind of overwrought to me. IDK.

Yeah, and that's exactly how I felt about the previous chapter too. Like, that line you hated could have even been funny if it wasn't in this kind of mood setting. I think the issue with this, much like the fic itself, is that it's just. Too. Much.

In contrast I read the update to City of Heroes today, a fic in which Felicity also makes some unwise decisions in relation to Oliver and their kids. And yet, this update really shed some light on her making those calls. 

Spoiler

The physical and psychological torture she went through and which had gone untreated for years make sense of her choices.

• Love 1

Yeah, I think it's better for everyone that I do give up. This isn't a matter of the plot dragging, it's that if that were the Felicity how I saw her in the show, I definitely wouldn't be looking for fics with her. And that is putting it very, very lightly. My hackles got up on this issue chapters ago, but I thought it was just her internal monologue and when it actually happened, she'd get a grip. Instead it avalanched. Among my many issues with things reportedly happening in this last chapter is 

Spoiler

Felicity leaving because it was too hard to be in the house with Ellie's stuff. Fine, even ignoring my inclination to call her a drama queen, what about damn Oliver, the guy she's supposed to be in love with, why not ask him to come along and not suffer?! That is not how I see Felicity in the slightest. And now I've convinced myself that e timeline split when she started being an ass about keeping Ellie. Because it just is not Felicity. 

Sigh. I wish Macha would update Deceive and cheer me up.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Yup. we were getting to the good part regarding Oliver and Felicity..and now there's to wait a while for the second part..but I hope now she will focus on her other fic that I really like.

You mean Deceive, Inveigle, and Obfuscate? I'd love it if she concentrated on that, but she seems to be doing more work with geneeste. Which is fine, I was just more invested in the former.

As for Constellations, great chapter, but the whole thing does read like almost a prequel. It's not even that I mind, just what it is.

I'm going to defend FICON.  Yes the early mid chapters got really bogged down on fluff so I took a break and started reading again only recently and for the last ten chapters I've been wishing for some fluff to give me a break from the relentless action and emotional upheavals.  (In a good way). They are not perfect writers and they absolutely at times spend too much time on every emotion but Felicity' reaction to 

Spoiler

Felicity's reaction to having to let Ellie go seemed really fair, honest and believable to me.    They don't get this Ellie back.  Ever.  

They might get a child years from now that looks like her and might even have a similar personality but it's not going to be the same child.  She can't be since she won't have been shaped by the same experiences and if the authors weren't so intent on pretending that just having sex on the same day Ellie was conceived means they will get Ellie, it would be even more tragic.  By all rules of time travel, changing the time line as much as they have means they shouldn't get Ellie.  So even though the authors are letting them believe they will get her (and imply that they won't be disappointed in their belief ) I have to see it from the characters standpoint- that the chances are really against them.  Ellie is gone.  

So no, I wasn't upset at how Felicity was reacting. She was acting on instinct but when she saw it was causing Ellie distress, she stopped and realized what she had to do.  I can't fault her or Oliver for not being able to do it easily. And I appreciated that future Oliver got it too.

Yes future Oliver has been forced to hold back and it was probably killing him, but while I'm sympathetic, I'm fine with him having to hold back just a little longer because he knew he would get to leave with his daughter.  They on the other hand lose her forever.

Its from that mindset that Felicity was reacting. Felicity asking for the breach to be left open was foolish but it was born out of the emotion of the moment as I'm guessing so was the we must have sex no matter what the day of her conception thing.  I'm guessing cause I took the authors warning that this most recent chapter might be better saved for when the one after it can be immediately read.  

• Love 1

I'm glad you liked it!I'm not going to go back and read that chapter, but has Felicity (or Oliver, for that matter) mentioned any concern that

Spoiler

she isn't going to have this version Ellie? I know there were some questions about having her at all earlier in the story when they were making changes to the timeline, but I don't think there have been lately? I don't recall either one of them in-text being worried about not getting exactly this Ellie back. The general idea seems to be that they just won't see her for a while, which is why this reaction doesn't really make all that much sense IMO. 

I don't particularly care about Felicity not wanting to let Ellie's own father hold her when he first came back, but I do think it was a real mistake to have Felicity have this complete breakdown over Ellie from Oliver's POV. And what bothered me wasn't necessarily that she was so intent on them having sex on the date of Ellie's conception, it was that she was so intent on doing it while acting like she didn't think she and Oliver were going to be together at that point in time. Why? I don't recall him ever trying to run from this relationship, and only recall him having minor doubts about it once, early on, when he had to deny Ellie was his daughter. It seems completely out of nowhere even for someone who's having an emotional breakdown (and even though they did plant a seed for Felicity's abandonment issues earlier in the story when she found out she was pregnant), and is another example of the authors just not being able to help themselves when it comes to throwing yet another plot twist into the mix - because there's no reason why we need to see this Oliver fighting for his family - he doesn't have anything to prove to Felicity as they've written him thus far. 

I appreciate that they tried to mitigate the response with the author's note, but that they knew the reaction was going to be bad indicates to me that they knew this was coming out of left-field, which IMO means they should've rethought things. 

• Love 1

I just read the last chapter of the FiCoN 5+1 prequel/sequel whatever the hell it is and I'm kinda meh about the last one.

Spoiler

I assumed it would be the 'one time Ellie had perfect timing' where Ellie arrives back to her original time and it'd be a cute fluffy family reunion after a month apart but instead it's just setting up more stories and this is never gonna end, is it? LOL.