Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

I'm with you on not reading WIP. I only read Forever is Composed of Nows because of the rave reviews on this thread, and because there is an update schedule. 

There's a HP fanfic that was first published in 2007, that I've been reading since maybe 2010. It's massive, the wordcount at the moment is over 700,000, and the last time it was updated was in 2013. The writer is active around the internet, and I know she's still working on it, but three years for a chapter is kind of ridiculous. And the thing is, I don't want to give up on it because I've already invested so much time on it and it's not really close to being finished. But that experience put me off WIP almost entirely. 

• Love 3

And You have not failed this verse is now 45 chapters in. It's why I haven't bothered reading Forever is Composed of Nows after the first chapter - I mean, there's the precocious kid factor, sure. But another multichapter story?

I'm worried that these stories won't ever be completed, but for a different reason. I think so_caffeinated is a very talented writer and I enjoy her stories a great deal, so this is definitely intended as constructive criticism. You Have Not Failed This 'Verse pretty much reached its conclusion with the last chapter. It could use one more to tie some things up, but instead, a new plot line was introduced and we have (per the author) another 15 or so chapters left to go. I think she can be trusted to finish it...eventually, haha.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

I seldom read WIPs, but I had been reading one, that was a sequel to a fic I loved, that started in 2010 and was consistently updated once a month for five years... and then sometime last year she stopped updating. And this is why I have trust issues.

• Love 6

I don't really get babyfic/kidfic being the reason not to start this one.

Felicity miscarries years before the story begins.

Being burnt by the author not finishing a previous work, on the other hand, I get completely. However, I was never tempted to read Pembroke, seeing as I have no interest in reading about these characters as high school kids.

I get the frustration with Once more from the top. Has anyone read those "deleted" scenes? I have to admit I wasn't really tempted while waiting for an update of the actual fic.

If I recall correctly, the deleted scenes are things she's been writing as extras right from the beginning of the story. I am behind on the story now but when I was reading it, I kept track of the extras and read them before or after the designated chapter. Quite honestly, I could never figure out why she didn't just put them in the chapter but oh well.

When it comes to WIP, I'm sympathetic since I have one left in the Smallville fandom that's now been hanging for ...wait for it...Six years. I actually still work on it but there's no way in hell I am posting a lick of it until it is completely finished and after 45 chapters all those loose ends start adding up and I can't seem to just stop. Plus I started it halfway through the series so there were things coming on the show I sudden needed to address or it would have ruin the ending and while I was writing it my dad died and then the show made me hate the main character and it took years before I could get my head space back.

What it did to me as an author is never post anything til I'm done. As a reader I unless the author has an excellent track record, I avoid WIP until they get up to a good word count, then even if it's not done, chances are I'm going to get some satisfaction at least in part no matter what happens.

• Love 1

One of the authors wrote on Twitter (or maybe it was Tumblr), that

this version of Ellie isn't the only version of Ellie we'll see.

So, I think we're only at the beginning of things getting complicated. I might have to put this one down until it finishes, haha.

• Love 1

One of the authors wrote on Twitter (or maybe it was Tumblr), that

this version of Ellie isn't the only version of Ellie we'll see.

So, I think we're only at the beginning of things getting complicated. I might have to put this one down until it finishes, haha.

At the spoiler - oh, God.

Maybe I'll see my initial crazy timey whimey spec about Ellie having to return to the future the long way round. Though it wouldn't it be traumatizing if Ellie grew up with her baby self as her sister? 

It's definitely complicated. I'm not sure how it will pan out. I will admit this is the first update that I did not rush to read. :(

Can I just say I was really excited TQ signed the papers? I'm still mad at the show for having her not sign and them losing their fortune. I didn't need OQ running QC, but I did like him rich.

• Love 2

Maybe I'll see my initial crazy timey whimey spec about Ellie having to return to the future the long way round. Though it wouldn't it be traumatizing if Ellie grew up with her baby self as her sister?

Is that even possible??? It is a story so I guess it is, but still for me that's asking the audience to accept some pretty extreme rules about nature & time travel. Especially when they already had Ellie flicker when OQ almost died. So my guess would be you can't have the same genetic person in the same timeline.

I do think either Ellie, OQ or FS will have to die or be nearly dead to get Ellie back home and reset time. Unless of course BA just comes to save the day.

I wonder if they'll pretend Ellie is an orphan or distant relative they have taken on as a ward. Emergency adoption.

Is that even possible??? It is a story so I guess it is, but still for me that's asking the audience to accept some pretty extreme rules about nature & time travel. Especially when they already had Ellie flicker when OQ almost died. So my guess would be you can't have the same genetic person in the same timeline.

The flicker happened when Oliver almost died thus making her conception an impossibility but as long as it's not a time travel no no to have two of the same people in the same time line (and we did have future Barry exist at the same time that present Barry was in Star City) then I don't see why two Ellie's couldn't exist at the same time. 

The trauma comes when they figure out that the little baby grows into the toddler that they have to send back into the past so that by that time, the one that had been sent back in time would now be 7 or eight and then continue growing.  Technically Oliver and Felicity would never miss a moment of their daughter's life, they just would experience it out of order.  But time traveling Ellie would now have both an older sister Ellie she'd never see again and then as she grows up , a baby sister that has to go back in time that she'd never see again because she would be her own sister.  Twice! 

Edited by BkWurm1

The trauma comes when they figure out that the little baby grows into the toddler that they have to send back into the past so that by that time, the one that had been sent back in time would now be 7 or eight and then continue growing.  Technically Oliver and Felicity would never miss a moment of their daughter's life, they just would experience it out of order.  But time traveling Ellie would now have both an older sister Ellie she'd never see again and then as she grows up , a baby sister that has to go back in time that she'd never see again because she would be her own sister.  Twice! 

My head ached after reading that, though not as much as after I'd finished "The Time-Traveler's Wife."

• Love 3

My head ached after reading that, though not as much as after I'd finished "The Time-Traveler's Wife."

Ha,ha.  At least I stopped myself before I started talking about parallel universes branching off to deal with the clear paradox problem. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I haven't read the latest chapter of Forever. Now you all have got me worried.

I have a friend who won't read a WIP. She waits till it's all posted, even if it's written by a friend of hers.  She gets a lot less frustrated than I do.

.I'm still reading Forever and 'Verse because I still have faith in So_Caffeinated to finish them, or if not to end at a logical point.  But there are a number of fics I've recced here that I regret because they stopped and were never completed.

I don't really get babyfic/kidfic being the reason not to start this one.

Felicity miscarries years before the story begins.

Being burnt by the author not finishing a previous work, on the other hand, I get completely. However, I was never tempted to read Pembroke, seeing as I have no interest in reading about these characters as high school kids.

I get the frustration with Once more from the top. Has anyone read those "deleted" scenes? I have to admit I wasn't really tempted while waiting for an update of the actual fic.

I don't usually like high school fic and worse kindergarten fic but someone recommended Pembroke and I was impressed at how strong the writing of the first few chapters was.  And then she petered out (chapters were kind of nothing) and then it finally stopped in the middle of nowhere.

I didn't start the other fic because I don't like tragedy fics and I refuse to read death fics.  I have enough death and sorrow in my life. Also, I was traumatized by the Apocalypse fic that was popular a few years ago, mostly by people who had no idea what an apocalypse would actually be like.

I've been reading the Once More From The Top deleted scenes.  They're pretty good and I'm all out impressed that she was willing to cut them in order to make the chapters tighter.

I saw one kindergarten fic (Felicity gets bullied and Oliver defends her) and ran away screaming.  I think it was multichapter.

The apocalypse fics were from when I was in the House fandom about 8 years ago.  There were some writers who had written pretty good fic who got caught up in it.  It is my fondest hope that the trope died out before Arrow hit the TV screens.

I saw one kindergarten fic (Felicity gets bullied and Oliver defends her) and ran away screaming.  I think it was multichapter.

The apocalypse fics were from when I was in the House fandom about 8 years ago.  There were some writers who had written pretty good fic who got caught up in it.  It is my fondest hope that the trope died out before Arrow hit the TV screens.

I think I know the kindergarten fic you mean - every time a new chapter is posted I keep rolling my eyes at the summary. This kind of extreme AU isn't something I usually enjoy, either.

Re. apocalypse - do you mean the undead?* Or epidemic? Because I've seen at least one drabble of each on one of those multi-drabble fics (

they don't end well

).

There was also one chapter of an undead AU last summer, which I gave detailed concrit on, after asking if it's ok with the author (which I recently had to delete because I'm being stalked online, which is why I'm not using the z-word). I was actually annoyed by the undead AU because I've been tempted to start writing one once I finish one of my fics - I've been trying to keep two stories going at the same time, so if I get stuck on one I can work on the other. Fear the Walking Dead was kind of inspirational in the sense that it makes you want to write characters who do the opposite of what they do on the show.

*my reasons for not using the z-word are explained in the post.

I haven't read the latest chapter of Forever. Now you all have got me worried.

The crazy timey whimey stuff is just that, my crazed speculation.  As for the latest chapter, it hasn't crossed lines it can't wiggle around but it set a couple things in motion that surprised me since they will have to deal with the fallout somehow.  Like I said, still doable but I started wondering if it was going to embrace some new sources of angst to the max or skirt close and veer away.  There.  I've said a whole lot of kind of nothing.  Proud of myself!

• Love 1

I'm firmly on the Oliver is an idiot train but damn if these lyrics didn't hit me in the chest.

Hoobastank - The Reason

I'm not a perfect person

There's many things I wish I didn't do

But I continue learning

I never meant to do those things to you

...I'm sorry that I hurt you

It's something I must live with everyday

And all the pain I put you through

I wish that I could take it all away

And be the one who catches all your tears

If Oliver sad pandas all over the place tomorrow night I'll have this to console me even if the show won't acknowledge his stupid lies.

• Love 4

True story: I stumbled on Olicity Queen's channel while youtube surfing during Christmas break 2013. Randomly chose the "There was no choice to make" scene and was promptly hooked. I watched every Olicity clip she had, mainlined season 1 on Netflix, and uh, acquired season 2A episodes. I wonder how many other people found the show that way?

• Love 6

So The Darkest Hour just updated! I did NOT see that plot twist coming at the end. I just love everything that's happening in this fic. It does a much better job at balancing the plot and character building moments than FICON at this moment. I'm just really curious what in the world the Cadre is up to... I don't really want to spoil what happens but a lot happens in this chapter and it's awesome :D

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 5

Holy shit!

Tommy! Even more surprising, he seems to be the one callibg the shots, not Malcolm.

Aside from what really was a swerve at the end of the chapter, I have to admit was that Felicity would connect the dots and just call Oliver by name during one of GA's visits to catch him.

• Love 4

Yes OMG at the twist at the end of "Darkest Hour", I am not a happy camper about it. It's wonderfully written so far but

I love Tommy and never want to see Evil Tommy. So I am hoping for another double cross somewhere. Perhaps it will be revealed that Cadre killed Tommy's mother and that will be how Tommy turns back to the good side or at least not the evil side. However, it does seem like he is calling the shots. So who knows.

That being said, I am loving the story. I hope she keeps up with it and doesn't loose steam on it like her last project. We just need her muse to stay faithful to this story.

I do like how the reveal of

OQ is the GA

happened. I think its very inline with the characters and the story. I do think that FS had already put the pieces together in the last scene of the previous chapter, so it was only a matter or time. One of them would have slipped up. I had my money on

FS. But I'm glad how it came out, because it felt organic. If he had not forgotten to use the voice modulator, I'm sure he would have done something else to reveal himself that night, so they way she wrote it was good. Plus it was time. There was only so many chapters in this set-up that she could have avoided either a direct conversation or a accidental reveal like this one.

. I also think the timing of it is a little different from the show because she met him first as GA in the fic, not OQ, and I think that makes a difference in

how long the secret can be kept. In show, because he met her as OQ he was able to keep it longer because he could interact with her more. In the fic, his interactions as GA were limited so there was shorter amount of opportunities for him to reveal himself.

• Love 2