Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

To just be able to take out a dinner plate without having to lift anything else - ah, heaven!  =)

I felt the same way, so I bought some stacking shelf things for the cabinets, something like these, but there are lots of varieties at Target and Walmart:  http://www.amazon.com/Grayline-40182-Medium-Stackable-Shelves/dp/B001E8GL4G

I don't like the open shelves because of dust and cooking grime, but it seemed like a good solution for these homeowners because of the window.  I didn't love the window as it seemed off-center; if they'd made it a little bigger, it would have looked more balanced.

• Love 1

I live in southern California (aka Earthquake Country) and open shelves scare me. One good jolt and it would all be on the floor. Cabinets with doors at least give you a chance to keep things safe.

Edited by katma51
  • Love 1

One of my apartments in San Francisco had baby latches on all the cabinets.   The landlord said one of the tenants had kids, but they've kept them in case of earthquakes!  They were a pain until you got used to them, but I thought it was a great idea after experiencing a very mild one. 

Yes, in that instance I would want cabinets with actual latches. =)

Lived in earthquake country for many years and have been through multiple, large quakes.  Lived very close to major faultlines - it's hard not to.  Never used latching cabinets but have yet to lose a dish, knock on wood.

Sure you take precautions.  For one thing, I would never place any type of items on shelving over a bed.  Unless you're living directly on top of the faultline that's the epicenter of that particular quake, the damage is usually very minor or more typically, nothing.   Items may shift slightly but not be damaged.   

When earthquake news is broadcast to the rest of the country, you'll typically notice that they replay pictures of the same damage or same 1-2 streets.  This was true of the recent Napa quake.  The damage was centered in the beautiful, old Napa downtown.

Again, knocks on wood ...

Speaking of shelves, I like those shelves that hold the dinner plates in vertical slots.  Seems so much easier to access them that way - as opposed to my cabinet which has the dinner plates under a stack of 9" melamine square snack plates, which are under some random smaller plates from dinner sets that no longer exist, which are under a large soup bowl, which holds some ice cream dishes - lol. 

To just be able to take out a dinner plate without having to lift anything else - ah, heaven!  =)

I see you meant the vertical shelving slots for plates, i.e. not the horizontal shelving options highlighted in the Amazon ad, above.  One caution about vertical slots, they're known to chip the bottoms of the rims of good dishware, i.e. the part that's visible and used.  So, in general, you probably don't want to use them for either good china or better everyday dishware.

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

I thought these two did really well.  They noted that had budgeted for some additions and came out $35K with a $40K budget.

Also budget is one reason you use open shelves.  The other reason is windows, the issue they had where they used shelves.  It looks really dumb to put a cabinet up against a window but floating shelves give you some storage without looking out of place by hiding half the window.

We finally had time to watch this episode last night (White Plains NY, Dutch colonial) and I seriously hated that kitchen!  Yes, they stayed on budget and had enough extra $$$ for their contingencies, although the items mentioned were very predictable.  Good for them.

I would typically be the last person to ever say this about anything but IMHO, they needed to double that budget!  They didn't do hardly enough work to that home and probably set themselves up for future renovations.

Loved the Dutch colonial and I don't insist that everything must be open concept in a home but as a cooking enthusiast, I would not want to work in that kitchen!  They said they needed a designer to set it up but my biggest problem was the triangle.  The sink was around a jog or corner and it didn't have much work space.  On one side, they had some strange 1/2 cabinets covering the back half of the counter.

After the reno, with that jog/corner, the kitchen retained an oblong shape.  Why?  Went back and reviewed the HH tour and noticed that the powder room was behind that open shelving.  Yes, bathrooms were frequently around kitchens back then (using the plumbing) but that's not most homeowners' preference, currently.  In addition, they never showed it on the reveal - or any of the other bathrooms - so none of the b/rs were touched.

IMHO, for starters, they needed to demo that powder room and relocate it.  Yes, it'd cost a few extra $$$ but that wasn't the place for it.  They probably could have tapped into plumbing (somehow) in another location on the first floor.  That would have, at least, squared off the kitchen or made it a rectangle.  I believe their layout would have been much better if they'd used that space.  And it probably would have been much easier to set up, IMHO.  (Well, we noticed on the last HHR that HGTV is probably pulling newbie designers out of the phone book!)

Next big issue, WRT not only open concept but more importantly, living spaces:  that home lacked a family room.  They retained a very large dining room so other than a small sunroom (also untouched by the reno even though it needed work on its floors), the formal l/r was the home's main, apparently only, living space.  And, the home lacked any type of casual dining space, i.e. no peninsula counter, island counter or eat-in kitchen.

So, IMHO, I believe they needed to knock out another wall, probably to the dining room, and move the kitchen that direction.  Possibly they could have made it an L-space and placed a casual eating area in the back by those windows.  The dining room could have been turned into f/r plus kitchen, including an island to connect the spaces.  If they'd wanted to, they could have set up the d/r for either f/r or d/r in the future, depending on their needs or staging for a future sale, if necessary.  BTW, I don't always prefer open concept but that kitchen felt dark, closed off and claustrophobic, to me.

Have read that HHR provides 30K plus the designer so they may have only spent 5K on that reno.  Sorry, it wasn't enough.  Going back to the details, the cabinets were only $6K.  That confirms they were stock, paint-grade cabinets.  Hated that grey-green color, too - blah! 

The blue wall was o.k. but it appeared like they cheaped out the backsplash, too.  If they wanted to go with stock cabinets, that's usually a great place to splurge!  Instead, it appeared like the cabinet's white clashed with the backsplash's white.  (Whites run the gamut - so much for Mr. Artistic Husband and the designer on that one, IMHO.) 

Never saw the finished product on the masonry, patch job on the exterior.  Unfortunately, from what they showed, it would have looked like a patch job to anyone outside.  Another concern I had was that the realtor said they were original windows.  Does that mean they'd never been upgraded to dual pane, in White Plains???  Please, people.  Get it done while you have the contractor and some HGTV $$$.  Come on!  I did like their choices on the fireplace, BTW. 

So, that's my .02.  Perhaps they needed to borrow from their parents or obtain a home improvement loan.  If we believe the HHR figures, they purchased the home at the top of their budget, w/o leaving any extra $$$ (or not enough) for their renovation.

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

Loved the Dutch colonial and I don't insist that everything must be open concept in a home but as a cooking enthusiast, I would not want to work in that kitchen!  They said they needed a designer to set it up but my biggest problem was the triangle.  The sink was around a jog or corner and it didn't have much work space.  On one side, they had some strange 1/2 cabinets covering the back half of the counter.

This!  As someone who basically thinks only of cooking for necessity, that was a terrible kitchen layout.  The distance from refrigerator to oven was ridiculous.  Hated those shelves.  Didn't like the color choices, either, personally.  And I don't recall there being enough counter space.  It just seemed like a horrible design, over all.

On one side, they had some strange 1/2 cabinets covering the back half of the counter.

I noticed those, too, and wondered if that was an appliance garage, like for a toaster and mixer.  I've noticed a few here and there on the HH shows, though it's usually in larger kitchens because they do take up counter space.

I also thought the kitchen layout was odd, but maybe they didn't have enough money to move the bathroom to another location and renovate it exactly as they wanted it to be.  Sometimes I think they spend the money foolishly on certain things when they hire the designers, but since they are getting a bargain (is it free?) maybe that's the only way they can have the work done.  I'm not a lover of the color blue and would not have wanted all of that blue in the kitchen. It was already a dark room and to add blue, it would be even darker.  Remember these rooms look light and bright because of the lights used for TV filming.

I noticed those, too, and wondered if that was an appliance garage, like for a toaster and mixer.  I've noticed a few here and there on the HH shows, though it's usually in larger kitchens because they do take up counter space.

I was thinking appliance garage, too, but then changed my mind after reviewing some photos of the kitchen.  Those 1/2 cabinets look too small for my fave appliance, my KA pro mixer.  Usually, the appliance garage is a larger space, carved out of the corner/intersection of 2 banks of cabinets.

The photos convinced me that they'd probably be used for dishware.  They're adjacent to the doorway to the dining room.  That's how I'd use them.

Kinda' funny - thought I'd find some redeeming quality, if I checked out the kitchen's photos.  Nope, I hate it even more!  WRT the dish storage, noticed that the dishwasher is in the center of the kitchen, by the sink.  The fridge is on the opposite end from the dining room door.  They have no upper cabinets by the dishwasher.

So, when you unload the d/w, you must need track shoes to put some glasses in the cabinet by the fridge but others near the d/r entryway.  Maybe better dishware by the dining room?  No matter what dishware I would want at any given time, it'd probably be in the opposite cabinet! 

The open shelving would probably be used for froo-froo items, staging type, decorative items.  Yes, it's possible she could make the shelving more utilitarian after the cameras leave but I doubt it.  (I generally dislike open shelving - can you tell, lol?)  For one thing, I'm not sure I could easily reach those shelves!

Looks like you could put exactly -0- dishes away standing at the dishwasher!  Details, details ...

Here's a few photos, although they don't do it justice!  For some reason, they don't want to show us the lovely (not) powder room, adjacent to the d/r door, hahahaha ...

http://www.fairfieldcountycontractor.com/hgtv-featured-renovation-is-now-complete/

Thinking about that small entrance area depicted to the cameraman's right.  I believe it's a back door.  (The fridge was jammed back there when they toured the place.)  Don't know if this home had a garage.  If so, it might be behind the home b/c I'm certain it wasn't attached.  Otherwise, that door might eventually be used by kids for yard access.  JMHO (again!) but I believe they should have incorporated that area into the reno, too!

It could be a small mudroom or possibly, if pushed out, a banquette for an eat-in kitchen or access to a patio and bbq area or ...  any number of things.  It appears like they just left it, unused and failed to incorporate it into their plan.

Edited by BearCat49

I just noticed what appears to be a dog/cat feeding dish on the floor in the corner by the range.  One would think that a total kitchen remodel would have provided an out of the way space to feed the dog or cat.  I have plans for my kitchen remodel to be done next year and I made sure that the cat feeding dishes will be out of the way of accidental kicks or foot traffic.  I still don't like this kitchen.  It doesn't look warm or inviting, but I realize that color is a personal taste.  

I see you meant the vertical shelving slots for plates, i.e. not the horizontal shelving options highlighted in the Amazon ad, above.  One caution about vertical slots, they're known to chip the bottoms of the rims of good dishware, i.e. the part that's visible and used.  So, in general, you probably don't want to use them for either good china or better everyday dishware.

I gave up on good everyday dinnerware a while ago.  I like stoneware, but it's too heavy.  I use Correlle now.  I got it in the Callaway pattern because I figured that I could live with that one without getting sick of the pattern or feeling that it was too dated, and I didn't want just plain white.  They're light, they can go in the freezer, microwave or the oven, are dishwasher safe, and they don't chip.

Just a head's up on another reno show, this time on DIY, called "The Shatner Project".  William Shatner is redoing the home he's had since 1974.  I saw it when I was over my sister's house since I don't have DIY.   I thought it was a fun show, and some of his comments during the process cracked me up.

• Love 1

I gave up on good everyday dinnerware a while ago.  I like stoneware, but it's too heavy.  I use Correlle now.  I got it in the Callaway pattern because I figured that I could live with that one without getting sick of the pattern or feeling that it was too dated, and I didn't want just plain white.  They're light, they can go in the freezer, microwave or the oven, are dishwasher safe, and they don't chip.

Just a head's up on another reno show, this time on DIY, called "The Shatner Project".  William Shatner is redoing the home he's had since 1974.  I saw it when I was over my sister's house since I don't have DIY.   I thought it was a fun show, and some of his comments during the process cracked me up.

Corelle's a great choice for those slots.  I chimed in about the issue b/c I see tons of people asking for those slots w/o realizing the damage they cause.  One thing about them, however, they do add a little visual interest to the cabinets.

Thanks for the info on Shatner's project.  He can be quirky and fun with that sense of humor.  Sounds like one to check out!

My mother bought me some Correlle dishes before I was pregnant with my third son. About six months after he was born I had to give them away because every time I looked at them I felt a wave of nausea since I had horrible morning sickness during each of my pregnancies. I don't know why the Correlle dishes still made me sick but they did. I am fake barfing just typing this now. Bleerrrrgggg.

I happened to catch a commercial for Shatner's show and dvr'd it. Glad to hear he is funny in it! He is one of my favorite funny guys. I also caught the kitchen episode of Jenny Garth's show. I didn't think I would like her show so didn't dvr it. But after watching the kitchen show, I want to find a marathon and watch her whole process. 

Dog food: In Jenny's show she placed an acrylic table over her dog's dishes and stored the food in pretty containers. And had a big pretty mat under the dishes. It was really nice and looked decorated, right in the kitchen.

I know what you mean about associating nausea with something.  My sympathy ...

Besides the fact that I never saw 90210, tptb turned me off to the Jenny Garth reno b/c of the endless commercials, even though I f/f thru all of them!  That and the skin poking out of the overalls.  I'm no prude but, please ptb!  Apparently sex always sells, even for renovation reality shows.

Animal lover, here but for some reason, I've never wanted my pets around the kitchen.  Can't stand certain smells and don't want them underfoot, either.  Mine have everything they need, including their fancy water fountain and comfy pet beds, nicely set up in the mud room.

P.S.  I'd keep an open mind, if I ever saw an episode, but viewers on the HGTV m/b hate the Jenny Garth program as much as the commercials.  IIRC, they just said it was super phony.  What else is new, hahahaha ...

Edited by BearCat49

I also thought the kitchen layout was odd, but maybe they didn't have enough money to move the bathroom to another location and renovate it exactly as they wanted it to be.  Sometimes I think they spend the money foolishly on certain things when they hire the designers, but since they are getting a bargain (is it free?) maybe that's the only way they can have the work done.  I'm not a lover of the color blue and would not have wanted all of that blue in the kitchen. It was already a dark room and to add blue, it would be even darker.  Remember these rooms look light and bright because of the lights used for TV filming.

Yes, I posted about the budget, previously and how the entire project probably only cost them 5K.  These two would have multiple options to obtain funding to do the job right, IMHO.  That budget was insufficient and many people think I'm the cheapest person on the planet! 

Am curious if their kitchen designer explained that all their layout issues would be solved by relocating that powder room.  That would have been appropriate for her to do, IMHO.  I believe their kitchen reno was what some of our grandmothers would call "penny-wise but pound-foolish"!  

If I toured that kitchen, if these two sold it in the near future, I'd think they cheaped out a reno in order to unload the place and that I'd need to gut it to both make the kitchen functional and have sufficient living space in the home for a family.  They needed to think ahead, IMHO.  Surprisingly, I never heard them mention having kids during the episode but the contractor, IIRC, mentions it in the article, linked above. 

I just noticed what appears to be a dog/cat feeding dish on the floor in the corner by the range.  One would think that a total kitchen remodel would have provided an out of the way space to feed the dog or cat.  I have plans for my kitchen remodel to be done next year and I made sure that the cat feeding dishes will be out of the way of accidental kicks or foot traffic.  I still don't like this kitchen.  It doesn't look warm or inviting, but I realize that color is a personal taste.  

Personally, I hated their colors, too.  I counted 4 whites:  cabinets, backsplash, trim and ceiling (probably).  White comes in scores of tones, designer lady!  And, even if they matched certain ones, e.g. the cabinets and backsplash, the room's shadows and lighting changes their appearance in the space.  (It's important to test colors in their actual exposure, IMHO.)  Their white trim doesn't stand out b/c of all their other whites.

The designer kept calling the bottom cabinets "grey" throughout the episode but I'd call them "Martha Stewart Green".  I understood their point, expressed during the reveal, that those are classic colors and gave the kitchen an authenticity, consistent with the home's age and Dutch Colonial style.  That's all well and good but I still don't care for the colors!

I probably could have handled the blue accent wall, if the lowers were indeed, grey.  Another idea, to incorporate the back entryway, they might have considered repeating the blue on the window wall, adjacent to the back door.  Yes, it might have made the space feel a tad smaller but also cozier, IMHO.  Try some contrast, designer lady!  

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

Just a head's up on another reno show, this time on DIY, called "The Shatner Project".  William Shatner is redoing the home he's had since 1974

We have a friend who worked in Riverside CA school administration, and at some point had Shatner come to one of the schools. He said as long as cameras were rolling or pictures were snapping, he was funny and charming. Once the cameras were off, he was a royal PITA. Lost all respect for him after that info.

Edited by chessiegal

Sorry to hear that, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if I was a celebrity, I might occasionally exhibit PITA behavior just to separate my public and private personas.  Don't know when he visited that school system, but if it was relatively recently - well, the guy is 83 years old.

Anyone else see the latest HHR in the Boston area?

Why, oh why, did they have to treat us to another designer/contractor drama, complete with secret pow-wow in the yard?  Please, spare me - 

Come to think of it, all the drama seemed contrived from the get-go.  The finished product wasn't really my style - a little too country, for me.  At least it appeared inexpensive, between the butcher block counters (WTE the reclaimed wood peninsula) and using the same, very small footprint, IIRC.

The dh didn't impress me.  Thought they called him a contractor but it was actually "paint contractor".  (The painters pretty much do one thing, period, IMHO.)  I couldn't believe their apparent lack of knowledge.  Failure to measure final-sale, non-returnable appliances and purchasing something w/o consultation with the designer and/or verification of the measurements?  Based on the way they finished out that doorway, yes, that was contrived.  

And the designer's apparent failure to consider the brick facia's measurement?  Yeah, whatever.  The newel post didn't thrill me.  I can think of other ways to finish out that small slot.  IMHO, the newel post's a tad traditional for her country style and his Cape desire.  It's o.k. with the (yes, they used them again!) Shaker style cabinets but lacked symmetry - not that perfect symmetry's always required. 

Sounded like the guy's family decided to evict the squatters from Mom's house and take their $$$$, lol.  He didn't want to move back when Mom was alive???  (Sorry, can't help it.)  Not even to be 24 minutes away from Fenway?  Hahahaha ...  No Fenway in beautiful San Jose -

P.S.  Was their gc auditioning for a local open-mic night?  Keep your day job, dude -   

I watched the latest HHR last night.  First of all I was horrified at the red but when I saw they were just accents it looked just ok.  As far as the red stripe wall, the jury is out in my brain.

I am also aghast that the decorator put a newel in that space next to the brick wall.  Surely there was some other solution.  Maybe one of those skinny cabinets that hold herbs and spices?  It seems like the right size.

When they said they were living in his childhood house I thought the third option was going to be them buying that one.  Color me surprised when they didn't.

I am definitely enjoying this show now that they moved from California.  I like seeing the Boston area.  I'm not feeling the designers though.  The kitchens all look the same and it aint pretty.

I thought it would be a good place for a skinny cabinet, too.  I have one that is perfect for sliding in cookie sheets, pizza pans, and cutting boards on their sides - it's one of my favorite cabinets.  I hate those post things.

I also was surprised that they didn't end up in his childhood home.  Surely with some renos it would have been just as good as the one they bought. 

Maybe the location of the family home made the house too expensive for him to buy.  I don't recall if they never said how large it was, so it might have been a como of size and location that put it out of their financial reach. 

If that measurement mistake had been caught earlier, the brick facade could have stopped at the counter top and a narrow cabinet could have filled the space under the countertop.  

i am a fan of resurfacing tubs and ceramic tile surrounds instead of removing and destroying them if at all possible.  Resurfacing is an economical way to extend the life of a bathroom until a homeowner can do a major reno.  Who knows, after living with the resurfaced fixtures and tile, the owner might find a more pressing need for the reno money.     

stewedsquash, I'm starting to believe they've done the HHR's both ways, i.e. rerunning the HH house hunt sometimes but other times, not.  It's possible that they always reused/recycled the hunt in the early days of HHR, to find participants, but are now attracting applications on their own w/o pulling from the same (HH) participant pool. 

The reason I'm thinking this is I pretty much always remember the (nit-wit, lol) participants when I see an HH rerun in passing, e.g. flipping the channels.  And, in the early days of HHR, I always, always, always remembered the participants.  These days, however, it's not so much.  Sometimes the HHR folks seem new to me.

WRT the White Plains kitchen, I understood their design concept of using classic colors, attempting to give the home a period feel.  That said, I didn't care for it.  Turning to function, as an intense cook, I wouldt find that kitchen far too small and unworkable,  In fact, I would hate it and want to gut it!  

If you don't need the triangle and don't mind insufficient (for me, anyway) counter space and a powder room within your kitchen, good for you.  (You'd save $$$, compared to me!)  That was JMHO of the space.   

I noticed the sectional issue, too.  My bigger concern, however, was the apparent lack of a family room and the waste of space, again IMHO, on the huge dining room.

Edited by BearCat49

It's like you are me.

I completely missed that there was a powder room in/off the kitchen. I would hate that. 

Yes, they disguised it by never showing it on camera, after the house tour, but the 1/2 bath's door would be directly behind the stove.  So, you're cooking away while guests troop in or out.  It was behind the open shelving wall and adjacent to the d/r door.  The designer, conspicuously, didn't specifically mention it but that's what caused all the problems when they were creating the layout.

WRT the Boston couple, anyone else think she's eventually dumping that guy?  He seemed like kind of a fuddy-duddy and about 20 years older than her.  Hope not, for his sake but ...

Got the impression they were possibly downsized in CA after the '08 crash so the siblings let them move into his mom's home after she died b/c the RE mkt tanked.  They probably couldn't afford to buy everyone else out.

Hate to speculate but perhaps those two (he was a painter, she a bartender) didn't have professional jobs and/or didn't go to college.  That's fine, if it was their choice; not everyone must go that route.  (It's stressful!)

Painting is one of those things that guys his age can pick up as a semi-retirement job or to bridge the gap until they find another, better job.  Hope everything works out for them.

Edited by aguabella

Last night's episode.  Northern California?  I think.  Anyway Joelle...the most freaking annoying HH yet.  She screamed at everything.  The demolition, putting in a new window...my God I wanted to mute her so bad.

First of all..how could they afford an expensive house when he was a children's party entertainer...whaaaa?  She said she's a playwright.  I wish I knew their last names.

Edited to add:  http://www.doollee.com/PlaywrightsA/arqueros-joelle.html

And then...wanting a light blue ceiling?  The designer was confounded but did it anyway.  His kitchen didn't look at all like the usual open shelf, stripe on the accent wall, white cabinet.  However I saw a completely different color top and bottom cabinet in there..I was like wtf...  I don't like different color cabinets in the kitchen YMMV.

And Joelle honey?  a stupid brick fireplace does not look like "New York".

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 1

Last night's episode.  Northern California?  I think.  Anyway Joelle...the most freaking annoying HH yet.  She screamed at everything.  The demolition, putting in a new window...my God I wanted to mute her so bad.

I think that episode was in Southern California. I agree that Joelle screamed way too much. Compared to any of the vocal fry folks (I admit that I only find half of the folks considered to be vocal fry as you all do) her voice was the worse I have ever heard on HH, HHI, or HHR. And why was the husband dirty looking? I don't mean in a "dirty old man way" but in a "take a shower" way.

• Love 1
I think that episode was in Southern California.

Yes.  North Hollywood, specifically.

That closet was ridiculous, but the layout of the house was so odd that turning an entire bedroom into a closet made a lot more sense here than it normally does.

If I had a gun to my head and had to pick one of the three houses shown, I'd pick theirs simply because I wouldn't live in Simi Valley or Woodland Hills, but I didn't like it before or after.  Terrific yard, though.

And it was nice to hear parents talking about how much their kid loved climbing stairs (I always did, too, as a child) rather than fretting that he'd tumble to his death.

I also wondered how a writer of an off Broadway play and a children's entertainer could afford to spend so.much on a house. But I always wonder that with HH. Maybe they have savings and put a lot down.

joelle was so awful up l I couldn't make it through the reno.

• Love 1

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/189473#  - Joelle's rental property

That was a rerun.  Didn't rewatch it from the marathon but I do remember certain things.  I assumed that at least 1 of them came from $$$, especially since they were able to retain their condo. 

Love Joelle's airbnb photo - way to flaunt the merchandise, right?  Her pose says, to me, anyway:  I paid for these and will get my money's worth!  (from the shallow end, lol!)

I remember the designer didn't particularly impress me.  Hated his cheesy, cheap little skeletons in the shower.  Best you can do, dude?

I know this isn't the I Hate My Kitchen forum, because there isn't one, but last night I watched 4 new episodes.  Nice to see there's still a home reno show that talks about new products and shows a few great tips on remodeling while being entertaining.  Not one of the 4 episodes used granite for the kitchen counters.  No fake drama, nice home owners, and I came away with a couple of ideas for my own kitchen renovation.  Loved the finished kitchen redo in the MCM house on the lake. 

• Love 2

Good catch, AnnieGirl.  You're right!  Was so overwhelmed by everything going on - don't know how I missed that.

How disgusting!  Hoping that at least they cleaned the old remnant.  Wow, what a cheap b***.  Bet his kid wasn't stuck with that, upstairs.

Matteo was a cutie.  His step-bro probably doesn't even live there, full-time.  Well, hopefully, Matteo can move upstairs when the step-bro goes away to college and they'll jam guests into the dining room carve-out.

Anytime, zenme.  Cool screen name, BTW!

Thanks to Bearcat I finally got to see this episode.  I can't believe what they gave that cute little kid.  I can't see why they couldn't put the 2 boys together.  Or why didn't they take that first house that had 4 bedrooms?

I hated the husband and wife.  So selfish... too bad their beautiful master suite is in the basement!!!

BTW I hated the  kitchen..same old same old..but those cabinets looked very cheap. And the babyish tantrum???   Ugh

I was flabbergasted at the renovation budget for the Framingham house - and they weren't even done at the time of filming. What they showed was nice, but I didn't really care for the kitchen. It seemed too monochrome and at the same time, like there were too many different finishes. It made me realize I'm kind of bored with the style of designs on most of these shows. And entertaining people around the kitchen island while sitting on backless stools? I don't think so.

Backless stools get old really fast.  The cottages that we would vacation at when I was a kid always had a counter peninsula with stools as the only dining area.  Some of them were darn uncomfortable to sit on after a while, and the ones without any back support were the worst.

• Love 1

I know this isn't the I Hate My Kitchen forum, because there isn't one, but last night I watched 4 new episodes.  Nice to see there's still a home reno show that talks about new products and shows a few great tips on remodeling while being entertaining.  Not one of the 4 episodes used granite for the kitchen counters.  No fake drama, nice home owners, and I came away with a couple of ideas for my own kitchen renovation.  Loved the finished kitchen redo in the MCM house on the lake. 

You watched 4 new (to you, anyway) episodes??  HGTV shows reruns only during the marathons.  Oh sorry, my bad - is "I Hate My Kitchen" a different program?  Never heard of it.  Perhaps they discuss it on the HGTV general thread - or whatever network.

Thanks to Bearcat I finally got to see this episode.  I can't believe what they gave that cute little kid.  I can't see why they couldn't put the 2 boys together.  Or why didn't they take that first house that had 4 bedrooms?

I hated the husband and wife.  So selfish... too bad their beautiful master suite is in the basement!!!

BTW I hated the  kitchen..same old same old..but those cabinets looked very cheap. And the babyish tantrum???   Ugh

Glad you had a chance to see it, NYGirl.  Haven't seen every episode of HHR (catching up) but I think those two were the most incredible homeowners I've seen.  Saying "incredible" b/c I can't think of the best, or nicest (!) way to describe them. 

I assumed they separated the boys b/c they weren't siblings - plus, the age difference.  I assume the older one doesn't live there full-time so perhaps the younger can take over that room - or, if nothing else, when he's off to college in a few years.  In fact, perhaps that's why they reused the crappy, old carpeting in the room adjacent to the kitchen.  

They didn't have a formal dining room, did they?  Wonder if that room will eventually be converted.  That's another reason to minimize their investment in that space. 

Personally, I believed they placed the master in the basement to score more space and be further away from the kids!  The younger boy would be a little closer to his mother but I have to wonder if noise would be a huge issue, having his room on the same floor as the general living spaces.

Was the first house the one she criticized in Portuguese (IIRC), rudely IMHO, in front of the realtor?  Well, we never know if the HH homes they tour on camera were available when they did their actual, real life house hunt.

That kitchen didn't bowl me over, either.  And the tantrums - yeah.  Well, guess that was their required, HGTV drama. 

Surprised that the husband did appear to work on the renovation, instead of merely performing his photo opps.  Hope he's getting enough work as a WS consultant.  He's facing college costs for the older boy plus, in a few years, does she trade him in for a new, younger SugarDaddy???

Edited by BearCat49

I loved tonight's HHR's!!  I didn't see the 3 houses they looked at as I put it on just as they were above to renovate.  They were so amiable.  No designer!! Yay!  No kitchen redo...just bathrooms.  And boy did they come out beautiful.  I loved the way the husband teased the wife when she asked about the mold.  Just a very pleasant episode.

I'm going to watch the beginning tomorrow.

Bearcat, I should have clarified that I Hate My Kitchen is on the DIY network.  Maybe fake drama is a requirement on HGTV.  As I stated in my original comment, various products are featured and some construction and remodeling procedures explained which I find informative.

• Love 2

Oh..I didn't know because he wasn't as outspoken as the others.  I guess it wasn't as noticeable because he didn't do the kitchen.

I think they did a pretty good job on those bathrooms and the Bohemian home owner worked throughout.

I loved the spirit of the mom packing up all the girls to go to the community pool for showers.  The youngest being all excited to go for a walk in her stroller.  That could have been a miserable event for the kids and she seemed to be a grown up about it so that the kids saw it as a big adventure.

• Love 2

The husband said his parents were generous enough to loan them $30,000 for the master bedroom renovation.  I didn't watch anything more after that clip, so someone please tell me he meant $30k for a renovation that included the master bedroom.  Because I saw bits and pieces of their house hunt, and their locations and budget did not come close to supporting a $30,000 bedroom. 

The renovation was supposed to be primarily the master bathroom.  They also replaced the flooring and painted.  But along the way they discovered mold in the second bathroom (I don't know why they call it the guest bathroom when the children are using it) and the project expanded.

Bearcat, I should have clarified that I Hate My Kitchen is on the DIY network.  Maybe fake drama is a requirement on HGTV.  As I stated in my original comment, various products are featured and some construction and remodeling procedures explained which I find informative.

No worries, laredhead.  Sorry about that.  Coincidence that you happened to post about 4 episodes of something shortly after HGTV aired a marathon of this program.

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, we don't receive DIY on our cable package so we can't check it out.

I loved tonight's HHR's!!  I didn't see the 3 houses they looked at as I put it on just as they were above to renovate.  They were so amiable.  No designer!! Yay!  No kitchen redo...just bathrooms.  And boy did they come out beautiful.  I loved the way the husband teased the wife when she asked about the mold.  Just a very pleasant episode.

I'm going to watch the beginning tomorrow.

That was a rerun but I remember it well and saw a few bits and pieces.

Definitely agree, NYGirl.  They came across as very nice people.

Edited by BearCat49

The tradtional vs bohemian with four little girls who were home-schooled?  Their contractor was also a designer, but he didn't show up as much as other designers have.

It's my understanding the show provides the designer.  Seems as if he would have been hired to design the entire master suite but I noticed he didn't appear to complete the bedroom.  Apparently the homeowner sourced and purchased all the furniture plus did the load-in / staging to present the room on-camera.  When they ran into problems on that 2nd bath, I wondered if he traded off completion of the mbr to assist with the other bathroom.

Only a guess -

I loved the spirit of the mom packing up all the girls to go to the community pool for showers.  The youngest being all excited to go for a walk in her stroller.  That could have been a miserable event for the kids and she seemed to be a grown up about it so that the kids saw it as a big adventure.

I tried to buy this storyline but I just can't!  How many of us, if we had 2 bathrooms, would reno / demo/ rip up both bathrooms simultaneously!  It's been verified on other HGTV shows that they have simply ignored the existence of a bathroom (or even 2, once, lol) to create drama for the show.  If the cameraman didn't film their third bathroom, it doesn't exist, correct?

It was just too, too dramatic to film the mother with the 4 girls trooping out the door with their shampoo and then returning, with their (supposedly) wet hair in towels.  And, how many HOA's would allow that for an extended period of time?  Bathroom reno's don't happen overnight!  Or even in a week - no matter what many of the home reno shows try to claim.  

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

The renovation was supposed to be primarily the master bathroom.  They also replaced the flooring and painted.  But along the way they discovered mold in the second bathroom (I don't know why they call it the guest bathroom when the children are using it) and the project expanded.

IIRC, they claimed to have spent 40K.

Your comment, ChelseaNH, about calling it the "guest bathroom" jumped out at me.  That might be our answer!  Wouldn't most of us call it the "kids' bathroom"?  Or, for them, possibly the "girls' bathroom"?  JMHO but something tells me that home may be a 4/3 but the director and cameraman forgot to film that room!  Also, I'm used to similar tract homes of that era being 4/3's. 

The add'l bath or guest bath must have been on the first floor.  Otherwise, if we believe the HHR ptb, they had 4 kids but no bathroom on the first floor.  Would any of you have bought that house, if that were true?

Even if they had only a powder room, wouldn't it have been much easier to use that sink to do the kids' hair?  And, as I mentioned previously, how many of us would voluntarily demo 2 bathrooms, if we only had 2!  Given that they said "guest bath", it must be a 4/3.  JMHO

Sorry - that one just doesn't add up for me or pass the HGTV smell test or something!  It was dramatic, wasn't it?

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

Just caught the Baltimore Row House episode and I can't believe I am going to say this, but that couple was just so basic. Ugh, her dumb voice. She picked every overdone trendy thing ever.

• Love 1