Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

Sam and Dean Winchester were trained by their father to hunt the creatures of the supernatural. Now, their father has mysteriously disappeared while hunting the demon that killed their mother, 22 years ago.

Kicking of the re-watch...

I really like the Pilot. I generally don't care for most pilots, I find it works exceptionally well as both a pilot and a stand alone episode. It's sufficiently moody; sets up this universe well enough without telling us every thing; the greatest hits of mullet rock gives it a unique sound to go with its unique look; .and not only introduces us to our characters, but really makes me latch on to those characters--these guys immediately felt real. Overall a solid introduction.

A few things I noticed or forgot about:

• Jared's voice has a very interesting cadence to his voice--not bad, just different. Its almost sing-songy and he emphasizes certain words differently. And Jensen doesn't sound like he smokes ten packs of cigarettes a day.
  • The guitar riffs, when did they stop doing these all together? 
  • Jared looks like a teenager and Jensen looks pretty much the same. How is it that man never ages? ;)
  • Sam and Dean used to ::gasp:: like each other. They bantered not bickered and the "no chick flick" moments is nice to hear.
  • No sit-n-chats--the expositional scenes are actually interestingly shot and aren't bogged down by their own language.
  • They once lived on the road. I think this might be the one thing I miss most about the early-era of the show--it had such a sense of adventure at times.
  • Love 4

Thanks for starting this, DittyDotDot!

I have so much affection for the Pilot.  I remember the first time I saw it, I cringed at some of the klunky exposition dialogue but fell in love with the mood of the show - the brothers' relationship, the creepy urban-legend stuff, the music.  Now I even love the klunky dialogue.

I love that right from the start it's established that neither Sam nor Dean is stupid.   They're both smart, they're both quick-thinking, and before Sam had gone off to college they'd worked together (with their father) well enough that they immediately pick up on how to look after each other.  

The family dynamic feels so real.  When they talk about their dad using coordinates to indicate where he'd go, they refer to it as "that same old crap" with a slight roll of the eyes.  And the scene when they're researching Constance and Sam basically pushes Dean out of the way so he can take over the keyboard is another moment. I totally buy them as brothers.  I think one of the reasons the Pilot works so well for me is that it got that part right.  The premise of the show, and the ghost in the episode, don't have to be realistic.  It's horror-adventure, after all.  But the relationship between Sam and Dean IS realistic and anchors the show.

Gosh.  I really, really like Sam in the Pilot.  Dean, too, of course.  But Sam in the Pilot is a good character. 

the greatest hits of mullet rock gives it a unique sound to go with its unique look;

A marriage made in heaven.  The music fits this show so perfectly.

• Love 3

The family dynamic feels so real.  When they talk about their dad using coordinates to indicate where he'd go, they refer to it as "that same old crap" with a slight roll of the eyes.  And the scene when they're researching Constance and Sam basically pushes Dean out of the way so he can take over the keyboard is another moment. I totally buy them as brothers.  I think one of the reasons the Pilot works so well for me is that it got that part right.

I also like the moment on the bridge where Dean slaps the back of Sam's head and then they start into a brotherly argument. Its not just that they got this relationship right, but the whole feeling of the show is of small town Americana with blue collar ethics and all. I think I excuse the some of the dialogue simply because it really felt like something I had never seen before. Or maybe that's just a symptom of my Living-In-A-Bubble syndrome (aka Sheltereditis.)

• Love 6
(edited)

I agree with pretty much every syllable you guys have written so far! 

I have so much affection for the Pilot.

I love it to a ridiculous degree. If I could keep only 5-7 SPN episodes for the rest of my life, the Pilot would be among them. 

And Jensen doesn't sound like he smokes ten packs of cigarettes a day.

Amen! 

Sam and Dean used to ::gasp:: like each other. They bantered not bickered

...and another hearty "amen" to this as well :) What's amazing is that there's actually tons of distance and resentment and awkwardness and all that between them here; after all, they've had pretty much zero contact prior to Dean's uninvited visit to Sam's apartment in the middle of the night, and there's the underlying 'did Sam abandon his family or feel like John kicked him out forever' thing. And while they don't gloss past those conflicts, there's also already more subtle bonding and natural rapport and, as you noted, the sense that they genuinely LIKE each other immediately after reuniting in the Pilot---far more so than we've seen in a depressingly long time on the show.

No sit-n-chats--the expositional scenes are actually interestingly shot and aren't bogged down by their own language.

THIS. I don't disagree with you guys that there's a little clunky, exposition-laden dialogue---though it's integrated far more smoothly than in many other pilots for me---but there weren't those painfully Lifetime-esque, repetitive, annoyingly melodramatic, no-guys-actually-TALK-like-that angst-fests that grind the plot to a halt and have my eyes rolling out of my head. It's sad how soon they broke their own "no chick flick moments!" rule. The subtle stuff is a million times more poignant and realistic for me. 

I think this might be the one thing I miss most about the early-era of the show--it had such a sense of adventure at times.

ITA yet again! Sure, there was always angst (this show is hopelessly addicted to it!), darkness and horror, but there was also joy, humor, adventure and fun. More than any other season, S1 captures that feeling of being on an endless road trip, and it's a major reason why I find the season so infectiously enjoyable.

I'm always surprised by how much I really like the MotW in this one. I'm a huge sucker for urban legends, and I actually thought the woman in white stuff was well done. 

but fell in love with the mood of the show

Exactly. Most series take a while to establish their tone, and while S1 does have some definite growing pains, the overall tone and mood really work for me---ironically enough, a lot more so than when the show was more settled. They blended elements of light/humor/fun/adventure with darkness/angst/horror/etc. so much better back then IMO rather than having to awkwardly designate certain episodes The Wacky and Funny Ones while others are wrist-slittingly grim with nary a smile in sight. I also miss that S1-S3 feel of getting small wins and meeting some decent people along the way rather than always, always suffering one misery after another and having pretty much everyone really, really suck and/or die. 

Gosh.  I really, really like Sam in the Pilot.

I know, right?! like him far more in S1 than at any other point throughout the series. And I'll just go ahead and admit it since we're all friends here...I actually love his S1 hair. Yeah, I said it. ;) 

I'm so glad we rewatched this. I've seen it a million times, and it somehow stays just as great for me as when I first saw it---maybe even more so when I contrast it to the more current seasons. Pretty much the only weak spot is Jessica for me who, like most SPN females, just doesn't feel 'real' or as if she was given any distinct traits or personality. 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 3

What's amazing is that there's actually tons of distance and resentment and awkwardness and all that between them here; after all, they've had pretty much zero contact prior to Dean's uninvited visit to Sam's apartment in the middle of the night, and there's the underlying 'did Sam abandon his family or feel like John kicked him out forever' thing. And while they don't gloss past those conflicts, there's also already more subtle bonding and natural rapport and, as you noted, the sense that they genuinely LIKE each other immediately after reuniting in the Pilot---far more so than we've seen in a depressingly long time on the show.

Exactly, it wasn't forced conflict for the sake of conflict. I've always said that I never understand why they feel the need to force conflict on this show anyway, these are two different characters with two different points of view, the conflict is already there, no need to manufacture it.

I'm always surprised by how much I really like the MotW in this one. I'm a huge sucker for urban legends, and I actually thought the woman in white stuff was well done.

What I love about it the most is how they set it up with "legend has it that there was this woman who died..." That's how urban legends become legends. This was a really nice set up for that aspect of the show.

Pretty much the only weak spot is Jessica for me who, like most SPN females, just doesn't feel 'real' or as if she was given any distinct traits or personality.

I know, right? I do give them a bit of a pass only because Jessica wasn't really in the pilot, but it's really a kind of sad statement considering she's one of Sam's key motivations for almost four seasons.

• Love 3

I love the pilot, and Jessica was fine for me.  But they really didn't give that much and in some ways I wish she hadn't been killed off so fast.

Sam has some really nice moments, jerking Dean into hiding, gasp being concerned that his brother might have died only to laugh when he finds him covered in mud.  It had a healthy mix of angst and humor.  It certainly is one that is worth watching again.

If I hadn't watched the extra scene I wouldn't have known how Dean knew his brother was in trouble.

• Love 2

And the scene when they're researching Constance and Sam basically pushes Dean out of the way so he can take over the keyboard is another moment. I totally buy them as brothers.  I think one of the reasons the Pilot works so well for me is that it got that part right.

I started to copy comments to say "I agree" and then it was like the whole list of comments.  So, I'll stick with this one.  The brother dynamic was SPOT on.

And Jared looks like a BABY!  Oh my.  So cute. 

• Love 3

I love the pilot, and Jessica was fine for me.  But they really didn't give that much and in some ways I wish she hadn't been killed off so fast.

I thought I read that part of why Jessica was not in it more was because she got the gig on Friday Night Lights.

(edited)

Friday Night Lights didn't start until 2006--a year later, so I think she got the gig on Friday Night Lights after they did the pilot. I don't think they had any concrete plans for her character after the pilot. I listened to the commentary track on this episode and Kripke says they many different versions scripted, and in some of those she lived. But then he realized, they had to remove the thing that was holding Sam back and would get him back on the road, so they killed her. I don't know that I wished she lived, I can't imagine things working if she did, but it might have been nice to see her as a full character before they toasted her on the ceiling. Of course, there's only so much time and like I said, she was barely in it, so I can be a bit forgiving.

ETA: I know they had some scheduling issues

with her and Friday Night Lights in What Is And What Should Never Be though. They had to stop production and start on the next episode until she was available. There's actually a scene that they shot green screen and dropped her into--the one where everyone is trying to talk Dean out of killing himself to wake up--she actually wasn't there when they shot it with everyone else.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

woohoo! TNT is finally starting back up with season one. Aaah I loved this pilot episode. Can anyone remind me why/how the vocal ranges changed on the actors? Was it a natural occurrence or did they make an acting choice about it? 

I know Jensen's was an acting choice. He's spoken about how he wished he'd never gone there because it's a thing now and he has to always do it. If I remember right, he originally did it to mimic John's deep voice some.

I haven't notice Jared's voice deepening, but I did notice that he used to have this almost sing-song-y quality to his line readings in S1 that disappeared in S2. I wonder if someone pointed it out to him so he stopped or if in S1 it was a choice that he didn't think worked anymore...I don't know.

Just rewatching this on TNT...and my gosh.  What a terrific pilot.  I mean it still stands up. I think if it aired today it would still work. It almost has a timeless quality to it.  And man...babies! They are such babies....  And I'll be honest. 

And I do feel some of  Alec McDowell in Jensen's work as Dean yet it's still different.  There is no hint of Jason Teague either which is interesting because Jason Teague was the role right before Dean Winchester.  I'm so glad they cast these guys.  I mean I just cannot fathom any other actors playing these roles. It's just inconceivable to me. And I remember why Sam grated on me so much in the first season and it's his almost whisper speak LOL.  Oh boys.  Babies..

Seriously! I'm watching it right now and thought the same things - still such a good pilot and wow, babies.

Is Alec McDowell Alec from Dark Angel? I didn't ever know his last name.

• Love 1

I have only watched the Ben/Alec episodes of DA.  And would buy s2 just for Alec.  Man, I have to say, when SPN comes to an end, I would not mind at all seeing Jensen in a reboot of Dark Angel, reprising Alec. cause. reasons...for science. or something

• Love 1

How funny, I was watching TnT today, too! And I told my hubby "look at them, they're so little!" Lol

I've never watched even a second of Dark Angel...maybe I should? Or just catch the Jensen stuff??

I do love this Pilot, though. The only thing that grates is the 'explainer' Sam gives when he and Dean are walking down the stairs out to the car (the we were raised like warriors speech). It's not written well and kind of... Over the top?. Otherwise, though I can watch the pilot over and over!

Edited by GirlyGeek

How funny, I was watching TnT today, too! And I told my hubby "look at them, they're so little!" Lol

I've never watched even a second of Dark Angel...maybe I should? Or just catch the Jensen stuff??

I do love this Pilot, though. The only thing that grates is the 'explainer' Sam gives when he and Dean are walking down the stairs out to the car (the we were raised like warriors speech). It's not written well and kind of... Over the top?. Otherwise, though I can watch the pilot over and over!

You aren't alone about the exposition. Kripke himself HATES it. There is some funny comments he made at Paleyfest about how much he hates it and that it's nothing that two people in the same family would ever say. Look for it on youtube. It's a GREAT panel.

GirlyGeek, watch one episode from s1 where he plays Ben.  He came back in s2 as Alec and it was glorious. He stole that show right out from under Alba and the guy from NCIS.  And lordy the BTS shenanigans about what dickbags both Alba and the other guy (he plays Logan) were. They were having an affair during the show.  But yes if you love Dean, you'll love Alec too. JMHO

• Love 2

I originally watched DA for Jessica Alba and her pretty (curly) hair. But then in S2, they went crazy with the flat iron, and her hair looked horrible. Thank goodness for Alec and that dog-man painter who lived in the basement. They're what made S2 worth watching!

I'm watching S4 of Smallville right now, and it's really weird to see JA looking so young. Not only does he look like a baby, but I have also evidentially gotten really old in the meantime, bc the first time I saw this, I thought he was crazy hot, and this time, all I can think is that he looks so skinny! LOL I'm distracted by my constant urge to fix him a really heavy dinner. /old crone.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 5

Just started a re watch.  Funny enough, I was doing a re watch of Dawson's Creek (yes, waaaay waaaay back) and I guess I hadn't watched most of the last season of DC because I never realized JA played a recurring character on DC!
So, JAs cute dimples and bad haircut made me nostalgic for season 1 Dean and here I am, re watching  :)

Pilot episode always wins with me.  Its interesting, creepy, pulls you right in.  Love seeing John and Mary and loved seeing how much darker the episode is compared with more recent ones.  The campy music is cute (though experience tells me I'll get really annoyed with that soon).  I'm watching on Netflix, so I'm missing out on some of the great music.  I might just set up my DVD player just so I don't have to listen to crappy music on the streaming sites.

I still cringe at the exposition between Sam and Dean outside Sam's apartment and I cringe at the ghost's death scene, but overall I love this Pilot.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, GirlyGeek said:

Just started a re watch.  Funny enough, I was doing a re watch of Dawson's Creek (yes, waaaay waaaay back) and I guess I hadn't watched most of the last season of DC because I never realized JA played a recurring character on DC!
So, JAs cute dimples and bad haircut made me nostalgic for season 1 Dean and here I am, re watching  :)

Pilot episode always wins with me.  Its interesting, creepy, pulls you right in.  Love seeing John and Mary and loved seeing how much darker the episode is compared with more recent ones.  The campy music is cute (though experience tells me I'll get really annoyed with that soon).  I'm watching on Netflix, so I'm missing out on some of the great music.  I might just set up my DVD player just so I don't have to listen to crappy music on the streaming sites.

I still cringe at the exposition between Sam and Dean outside Sam's apartment and I cringe at the ghost's death scene, but overall I love this Pilot.

It's funny, when I originally watched the show, S1 really didn't do all that much for me. I mean, it was a fine introduction and I fell in love with the characters and all, but I remember thinking it was kinda clunky that first time around. Which it is, but now I just adore S1, it's got so much atmosphere and it's fun and everything is new...so to speak.

I'm already in S4, but I'm tempted to go back and watch the first season with you.

• Love 2

I'm in! 

First thing I thought -- boy oh boy do we owe David Nutter. He's the first director and also the guy who told Kripke he HAD to take a look at Jensen for the role.  When I listen to the way Kripke originally intended to go and how it ended up, I can't help but think Nutter made a great deal of influence.  In particular:
- The look and feel - I think Kripke was all about the Americana but Nutter did the dark tones key shots. I LOVE the one of them running on the bridge.
- The brother's relationship - again, clearly a lot of that is scripted and clearly Jared and Jensen mad it really work - but Nutter did a great job of capturing all the little moments.  I'd love to hear what he thinks TODAY of Supernatural.

Thru S11 spoilers:

Spoiler

Second thing I noticed put under spoilers because new foks coming in won't want to know this: 
- SAM:'Do you think Mom would have wanted us to live like this?' -- OUCH
- SAM: 'Nothing is going to bring her back.' - ahem.so... ya see... there's The Darkness... and....

Now I do give 100% of the music and the Impala to Kripke and it was a brilliant call on both parts. It literally set up the POV of the characters in many ways.  

Other comments:
- Babies!  They're so YOUNG!
- It's been a while since I saw the Pilot but I can remember so MANY of these lines.
- Constance was legit scary for me and the way that she 'died' is very chilling

• Love 3

You know, I don't watch the pilot episode very often because I don't really like it. I mean it's good as pilots go. Does it's job. Sets up the story of Sam Winchester's life pretty well. 

But truthfully, I really dislike both Sam and Dean here. They are annoying. Sam is kind of an asshole and Dean is a smarmy douchebag.   

I liked John the most. HA!

But I think that is all to JDM's whole 5 minutes of screentime showing how happy he was with this family and how protective he was. It was a great shift from that to him sitting on the hood of the car holding baby!Sammy with 4 year old Dean clinging to his arm. And kudos to wee!Dean actor for showing that wee!Dean was pretty traumatized too. 

Sam doesn't have a picture of Dean but he does have a picture of Mary and John. Jessica has clearly never seen a picture of Dean and she says "Oh you're brother Dean", so that tells me that Sam was pretty much done with his brother but not so much with John or Mary which is even before we hear Dean say he never bothered Sam in the two years Sam has been at school.  Sure seems like a lot of bad blood there IMO.

So much exposition wrapped in ALL THE HOYAY LOL OYAY. Because that fight scene?? So much staring at each other. The Wincest was strong from the get go. Lordy boys. LOL I get why Wincest is a thing but NOPE I can't ship it but I totally get why others do. 

Sarah Shahi - Oh the girlcrush I have on her to this day. But I developed it watching her in LIFE because I didnt' watch SPN until 2013. 

Sam: "You're such a control freak"...um Sam you're the one shoving Dean out of the way to get to the mouse. Sam, not so much with the self-awareness here.

Sam doesn't intend to ever tell Jessica about his life. Sam you big secret keeping lying liar. I did love Dean telling him he'd have to face up to who he really is.  "Well, that's healthy" - Dean Winchester. 

Dean was kind of creepy and scary but Jensen did show a bit of vulnerability with his angsty face over Sam leaving the family for school.

They both are a bit too smarmy here for my tastes.

Things I did really like:

-I think my favorite Dean scene is when he gets arrested through the end of the interrogation scene. His bravado is shaken when he sees his name in John's journal and Jensen lets us see that maybe there is more to Dean than being creepy dickbag with his brother's GF. 

-The whole bridge scene and the first bit of Dean's Dirty Organ (yes that that's the name of that music cue with the guitar, which is the ring tone on my phone LOL)

-Sam kicking Dean's foot and Dean smacking Sam on the back of the head on the bridge. That does make me laugh.

-Agent Mulder, Agent Scully" - Bless you David Nutter and Eric Kripke for that line and the complete homage to XFiles

• Love 2
(edited)
On June 4, 2016 at 0:59 PM, catrox14 said:

Things I did really like:

-I think my favorite Dean scene is when he gets arrested through the end of the interrogation scene. His bravado is shaken when he sees his name in John's journal and Jensen lets us see that maybe there is more to Dean than being creepy dickbag with his brother's GF. 

-The whole bridge scene and the first bit of Dean's Dirty Organ (yes that that's the name of that music cue with the guitar, which is the ring tone on my phone LOL)

-Sam kicking Dean's foot and Dean smacking Sam on the back of the head on the bridge. That does make me laugh.

-Agent Mulder, Agent Scully" - Bless you David Nutter and Eric Kripke for that line and the complete homage to XFiles

Yes!  the interrogation scene is well done.  You can literally see Dean's face go from 'cocky' to worried and shaken by seeing the journal.  Its subtle enough and it made me really see, the first time I watched, that there was much more than flirty, hot, douchey-ness to Dean.

LOVE the bridge scene with the car running them off it.  There's a lot there to appreciate between the two brothers.  Though that water looked too shallow for the most part- Dean would have broken bones or hit his head and drowned, lol.

X-Files references are always appreciated!

On June 4, 2016 at 10:41 AM, SueB said:

Thru S11 spoilers:

Yes!  I always like re-watching the old seasons after the end of the current.  There's always new stuff to appreciate

On June 4, 2016 at 10:41 AM, SueB said:

Other comments:
- Babies!  They're so YOUNG!
- It's been a while since I saw the Pilot but I can remember so MANY of these lines.
- Constance was legit scary for me and the way that she 'died' is very chilling

SO little, right?  And its jarring how much they've changed as characters.  I mean, yes its been 11 seasons and even longer in show-time, but I always forget how ambivalent they were toward each other in the beginning.  And its never ceases to amaze me to remember that they weren't even really speaking to each other or hadn't seen each other in 2 years.  They're so entwined in each other's lives and existence once the show gets rolling that its hard to imagine how they started off.

I have a weird ability to remember lines from movies and songs for all time.  I can't remember what I did yesterday, but I can quote right along with tv shows and movies and sing songs I haven't heard in years.  Its weird. 

Constance was actually scary for me too.  Showing up on the side of the road, flickering in and out... creepy.

Edited by GirlyGeek
  • Love 2

i decided to rewatch because i was bored and i don't was thinking about a lot of scenes that came from here. even though i'm on S2 i find myself missing S1 already, i hate that my sister made me speed through it, turns out my worries were right, i did have to slow down after all.

anyway this is one of the best pilots i've ever seen, probably second to Heroes. and because it's 2018 i relish in the ancient "modern" gear that's used, the slightly grained camera because of the quality, even the words that are used, like "cellular phone" LMAO and most importantly i love the early 2000s clothes, the tight shirts with bright colours and just showing the start of the stomach. i was expecting some corny cheesy show that's supposed to be "scary" but i remember i watched this at night by myself and was so scared, i didn't look at many SN episodes at night after that, haha. because i had such low expectations for the show (i was looking at it purely because of casual and bored watching) i didn't expect it to be so appealing and so different, especially for 2005. my bet is how it was so different and the timeframe is how it got so successful. if SN aired now it would probably be cancelled well before S5. in addition that lots of US shows focus on family but very few focus on siblings, and at that, written well? pfft. look no further than stranger things.

P.S.: i don't know anything what people are referencing to the modern episodes except @DittyDotDot who said that jensen looks the same. i happened to look at a S13 preview and i thought it was as past season, he's so ageless. of course that's all i saw of current seasons, i just came across that picture by chance.