Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

Brooklyn has been getting glowing reviews (Saoirse Ronan in particular) from what I've read.  Yes, EBR is a minor character and therefore barely mentioned in those reviews. In fact, I've only found these particular mentions of her (other than cast credits)...

Historical romantic drama “Brooklyn” continues to assemble a cast of great rising stars, and today adds “Arrow”‘s Felicity Smoak herself, Emily Bett Rickards, to the cast. Saoirse Ronan leads the pack, flanked by Domhnall Gleeson and Emory Cohen as the young men vying for her affections
Rickards is a newcomer who made her screen debut in 2012, but has quickly become a breakout star thanks to her fan-favorite role as Felicity on The CW’s hit comic book adaptation series “Arrow,” where she plays the lovable Girll Friday sidekick of Stephen Amell’s Oliver Queen.

http://upandcomers.net/2014/03/14/arrow-star-emily-bett-rickards-joins-saoirse-ronan-brooklyn/

The film also benefits from an exceptionally strong supporting cast, including Julie Walters as the biting owner of Eilis' boarding house; Emily Bett Rickard, Eve Macklin, Nora-Jane Noone and Jenn Murray as fellow residents, each on the lookout for an eligible man; and Jim Broadbent as the Brooklyn priest who helps shelter Eilis from the hardships of her transition to a home away from home.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nyff-review-an-immigrant-finds-romance-in-brooklyn/

Edited by tv echo

I think Brooklyn was on the ballot for People's Choice Award at TIFF this year. Room won.

I keep seeing Colin Donnell in the promo for Chicago Med. 

He's the only reason I'm going to tune in for that show.

Finally - these Brooklyn reviews specifically praise EBR's performance...

Saoirse Ronan Leads The Restrained But Heartfelt Brooklyn — A Review
Posted November 4, 2015 by Erik Amaya
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/04/saoirse-ronan-leads-the-restrained-but-heartfelt-brooklyn-a-review/

Besides Ronan and Cohen, the film is packed with many fine performances from Julie Walters as Mrs. Kehoe to Jenn Murray‘s brief appearance as Dolores, another lady at the boarding house who can best be described as “a drip.” Arrow‘s Emily Bett Rickards also appears as one of the more sophisticated boarders, but plays the childish qualities of the character to the hilt. In fact, as an Arrow fan, she was nearly unrecognizable.

'Brooklyn' is wonderfully heartwarming and vibrant
By Peter Rainer, Film critic NOVEMBER 4, 2015
http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Movies/2015/1104/Brooklyn-is-wonderfully-heartwarming-and-vibrant

The scenes in the boardinghouse where Eilis is encamped are high-spirited without ever turning farcical. The landlady, Mrs. Kehoe (a very funny Julie Walters), keeps a strict watch on her girls, all Irish immigrants (Eve Macklin and Emily Bett Rickards are especially good as wised-up fellow boarders). Eilis gets a crash course in American mores. Later, she meets at a weekend dance an instantly smitten Italian boy, Tony (the engagingly avid Emory Cohen). Seeing what lies ahead, the other girls school her in how to eat spaghetti without splattering sauce.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I think Brooklyn was on the ballot for People's Choice Award at TIFF this year. Room won.

I keep seeing Colin Donnell in the promo for Chicago Med.

He's the only reason I'm going to tune in for that show.

Colin Donnell is making me break my I won't watch shows based in hospitals rule. Here's hoping its worth it.

Gah! I am such a pathetic fangirl. Saw a preview for Brooklyn playing and of course I perked right up but then I had to rewind it and watch the trailer second to second just in case EBR was somewhere in the background. She was. I squealed. Really it was only for like a second in the background of a scene at a dance but now I'm sitting here still grinning. Yep, so pathetic. :D

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Started watching "Master of None"... what a freaking amazing show! Colin Salmon was hysterical in his episode. Plz can we have him back for at least 1 episode again?

Coincidentally just finished the sexism episode right before I saw the Bamford girl tweet. Felt spot on and "real" in light of everything. Aziz Ansari's social commentary & humor is so poignant & funny.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

Colin Salmon is recurring on Limitless, and I doubt he has the time (I think the show kinda underuses him, even if I really love it generally, it's the biggest surprise of the season for me, even beating out Crazy Ex).

Sexy, self-centered screw up that all the ladies love?  

I never got the Doug Ross appeal he was such a jackass to just about everyone in his life.  The only good relationship he really had was with Mark Greene. But I wasn't an ER shipper and didn't give 2 shits about Doug/Carol.

I didn't care much about Doug either way but I couldn't stand Carol.  Tara Ariano, when she was reviewing ER on TWoP, referred to her as :"All About Me" and truer works were never spoken.

"I became a doctor to save people's lives. It's all I've ever wanted to do."

eyeroll Most medical shows are pretty bad.  But this one seems horrendous. And I say that having watched the backdoor pilot last season.

Watched Chicago Med. It wasn't too bad. It was cheesy and unrealistic at points. But overall it was decent & had some moments of realism to it. And it had both nurses, doctors and administrators so at least that was good.

Colin Donnell oozes charisma and chemistry of all types. Him speaking Spanish was so sexy. Also he seemed intelligent enough to be a doctor.

I enjoyed Doug on ER. He felt realistic. And Clooney is very nice to look at. Carol was also very too, but I could see how her personality grated on people.

• Love 1

I liked it more than I thought I would considering I hated the backdoor pilot on Chicago Fire last season.  Bringing on Colin Donnell really helped.

It's ER like in that there are a diverse group of people with minimal nurses.  ER had more nurses in the early seasons nd some of them were male.  This show has only 2 nurses, both female.  In 2015, there should be male nurses.

So far CD's character a lot, and I like that he got his degree from Guatemala. Foreign degrees are looked down up (looking at you, ER) but often it's a better education because they have to learn to diagnose without the expensive equipment.

I  can't stand the red haired resident. Sadly medicine is full of people like him.

I'll tune in again next week and cross my fingers that the psychiatrist's time will be minimal.

At least it had nurses! I do agree there could be more diversity and variety in the nurse dept. Maybe they will add more in the future. The other Chicago casts are male heavy so maybe that figured into it.

Red head was a douche, but medicine is overflowing with guys just like him.

Was Oliver Platt the psychiatrist?

If they wanted to add gender diversity, there are six male doctors (including the surgeon and the bone guy) and only two female ones. Just sayin'.  (These days, med schools are more than 50% female.)

Yes, Oliver Platt was the psychiatrist. Next week he's got a main storyline.

I'd like to think that red head would get his come uppance but this is Dick Wolf we're talking about.  I'm really happy CD has a decent steady TV role now..

(I heard an interview with Scott Thompson of The Kids In The Hall about his experiences being treated for cancer and while he was complimentary about the doctors, it was the nurses he really praised.)

If they wanted to add gender diversity, there are six male doctors (including the surgeon and the bone guy) and only two female ones. Just sayin'. (These days, med schools are more than 50% female.)

Yes, Oliver Platt was the psychiatrist. Next week he's got a main storyline.

I'd like to think that red head would get his come uppance but this is Dick Wolf we're talking about. I'm really happy CD has a decent steady TV role now..

(I heard an interview with Scott Thompson of The Kids In The Hall about his experiences being treated for cancer and while he was complimentary about the doctors, it was the nurses he really praised.)

Well that is because nurses are the main backbone to a hospital. You could run a hospital without doctors, you cannot run it without nurses.

The main cast seemed gender balanced on the whole. Females - md, med student, 2 RNs, hospital administrator

Males - CD, psychiatrist, red head, asian. Granted all mds, but it is ED/trauma which tends to attract more males.

ER is great for adrenaline junkies (a great job if you have ADHD) but it's also good for women with families who want set hours and responsibilities.  My mother was a family doctor and after she finished at the office, she'd come home and spend hours phoning her patients back or doing the paperwork while I competed with my brother for her attention.  Then there's Brian Goldman, producer of the radio show White Coat, Black Art, who is an emergency physician because it gives him time to work on his other love, journalism.  Vincent Lam, who wrote Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures (which won the 2006 Giller Prize), is also an emergency doctor because it lets him have time to work on his writing. 

I like the fact that it's gender balanced and the women are spread out over various jobs.  But...\

I remember someone writing about the phenomena of giving minorities boss roles so they don't have to make them equal in terms of the number of characters on the show.  Epatha Merkerson was also the boss in her L&O role but I've noticed so many black women and men as bosses these days (Castle (first an African-american man, then a woman), Forever, ) that maybe there's something in it.  For example, Chicago Fire's only black character is the Chief.

While at the Heroes and Villains Fan Fest in San Jose, Arrow’s Stephen Amell revealed when fans can expect to see the first trailer for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2.

“If you’re a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fan, then you’re going to want to go to the theater in December before a relatively big movie that’s being released for a fantastic trailer,” said Amell.

While Amell didn’t technically utter the words Star Wars: The Force Awakens, we don’t think he’s referring to Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip. If someone refers to a relatively big movie in December, then they know that most people are going to take it as being Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

With reports of Captain America: Civil War and X-Men: Apocalyse also having trailers in front of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, it’s going to be an exciting time for comic book fans.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 opens in movie theaters on June 3, 2016....

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/22/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-trailer-to-premiere-with-star-war/

The TMNT reboot was SO BAD that I drifted away halfway-ish through.  Somewhere around the time Megan Fox flashed back to her pet turtles who happened to be the pet turtles that turned into the TMNT.  I tried, I really tried to watch it, but it was bad.

The TMNT reboot was SO BAD that I drifted away halfway-ish through.  Somewhere around the time Megan Fox flashed back to her pet turtles who happened to be the pet turtles that turned into the TMNT.  I tried, I really tried to watch it, but it was bad.

Lol, I had the opposite experience. I liked that they were her pets which explained why they had a connection and was actually entertained (and very surprised that I was)during the whole thing. I don't know. Maybe my drink was spiked?

Lol, I had the opposite experience. I liked that they were her pets which explained why they had a connection and was actually entertained (and very surprised that I was)during the whole thing. I don't know. Maybe my drink was spiked?

I'm going to say...YES.

Just got back from watching Brooklyn. What a terrific movie it is! I loved every minute of it. Was really fun to see EBR playing a very un-Felicity type role for the small amount of time she was onscreen. All of the performances were incredibly well done.

• Love 5

EBR as a bride in Nickelback's "Never Gonna be Alone" video...

Nickelback - Never Gonna Be Alone [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
Uploaded on Nov 10, 2009 by Roadrunner Records

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Cowabunga Dudes! It actually looks like a fun movie. I'm looking fwd to seeing it now. I always need films to take my nephews to, so this will be a good summer option. Otherwise, as fun as the movie looks I would never pay to see it.

I saw TNMT for the first time last week in prep for this upcoming SA movie. And after hearing all the criticism, I was surprised that it actually was a decent movie. It wasn't an amazing movie. But it was fun and escapist. It was written for children and in that regards I cut it a lot of slack. It was just a really long cartoon, so as long as I keep my expectations low, I feel like it will be the same thing with TNMT 2.

• Love 3

TMNT was my favorite cartoon growing up. I even owned the episodes on VHS and had all the action figures, including one of Casey Jones. So the new movie was a Michael Bay movie that happened to share the same name as a cartoon I used to love. 

The 90's movies were cheesy as hell, but they were closer to the cartoon and the turtles didn't look like aliens. 

parece01_-_copia.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Sakura12

Cowabunga Dudes! It actually looks like a fun movie. I'm looking fwd to seeing it now. I always need films to take my nephews to, so this will be a good summer option. Otherwise, as fun as the movie looks I would never pay to see it.

I saw TNMT for the first time last week in prep for this upcoming SA movie. And after hearing all the criticism, I was surprised that it actually was a decent movie. It wasn't an amazing movie. But it was fun and escapist. It was written for children and in that regards I cut it a lot of slack. It was just a really long cartoon, so as long as I keep my expectations low, I feel like it will be the same thing with TNMT 2.

It surprised me as well. I really liked the long action sequence when they were skidding down the snowy hill/mountain. I usually hate Michael Bay films but it worked IMO for what it was trying to be.

SA was interviewed on ET last night (re TMNT2) - here's an article and video about it (with Megan Fox as well)...

EXCLUSIVE: 'TMNT 2' Star Megan Fox Urges Parents to Get Kids Off Social Media: It's Toxic!
by Raphael Chestang      6:35 PM PST, December 10, 2015
http://www.etonline.com/news/177849_exclusive_tmnt_2_star_megan_fox_urges_parents_to_get_kids_off_social_media_it_toxic/

Amell, who many may know as the Green Arrow on The CW's superhero drama Arrow, had an adorable visitor on set while he filmed the TMNT sequel in the Big Apple: his 2-year-old daughter Maverick.

"She came to set a couple of times and when she would see me on the monitor, she would go, 'Dada! Movie! Casey Jones!'" the 34-year-old actor told ET. "I'm really hoping that it's something that she can enjoy but I have a feeling we might lose her to Finding Dory next summer."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I don't even think the first movie was cheesy but I may be blinded by 90s love. I watch it pretty often because I think it's a really good movie and I watch it on vhs so I can get that silly pizza Hut ad in the beginning and get all in my childhood feels.

• Love 1