Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Book of Blood, Chapter One: Requiem

• Start Topic

Jefferson and Anissa work together investigating the hometown of a creepy man at the clinic and make a shocking discovery. Meanwhile, with Syonide gone, Tobias puts an increasing amount of pressure on Khalil to help fill some of the void left in the organization.

Airs November 13, 2018

Too many people have been resurrected for me to believe that Gambi's gone for good. Especially without a body!

I feel like they've had Tobias mourning Syonide more than his own sister. (I still miss both of them.)

So... we got metahumans out in the woods now?

Edited by Trini
  • Love 5

Up until the end of the episode I held on to the belief Gambi was still alive.  I kept waiting for some clandestine sign from Gambi that he was alive.  I doubt he would let Jeff and his family mourn him like this, so now I do believe he is truly dead.

So Grace Choi is a meta.  The problem I have is that her appearances are sporadic so it is hard to get invested in her character.  They explain it away as Anissa being flakey, but it does damage to Anissa's character. I do not like the way Anissa has been shown to treat her love interests. Grace at least calls her out a bit, but imo it is time to fish or cut bait with those two. She told Anissa not to come back, but I highly doubt she will hold fast to that request.

Unfortunately, I figured that Dr. Crazy lied to Lynn in order to manipulate her into doing what she wanted.  Lynn's judgement was clouded or she would not have trusted her.  I am starting to think the entire family not just Jennifer could benefit from therapy sessions with everything that has happened since the beginning of the season.

• Love 1

Pretty sure Gambi's just laying low until he can ID the people who took him down and not give them a second chance at him (I'm assuming its the drug lords that Anissa's been ripping off?). If he is really dead, though, they did do a pretty good job of writing it- all through Jefferson's denial and grieving stages, as well as the rest of the Pierce family's reactions.

I'm having flashbacks to Slither or maybe Night of the Creeps with those weird mercury looking things slithering around under the skin of the kid and the Sheriff in the backwoods.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Pretty sure Gambi's just laying low until he can ID the people who took him down and not give them a second chance at him (I'm assuming its the drug lords that Anissa's been ripping off?).

It might be, but I think the hit was put out by Tobias.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, miasth said:

So Grace Choi is a meta.  The problem I have is that her appearances are sporadic so it is hard to get invested in her character.  They explain it away as Anissa being flakey, but it does damage to Anissa's character. I do not like the way Anissa has been shown to treat her love interests. Grace at least calls her out a bit, but imo it is time to fish or cut bait with those two. She told Anissa not to come back, but I highly doubt she will hold fast to that request.

She also seems to have a pill that allows her to keep her meta powers in check. I can think of a mother and a daughter that might be interested in having a sample of that pill to test.

• Love 2

2-Bits!  Glad to see him again for a few minutes.  I hope he continues to show up from time to time.

Totally don't think Gambi is dead, since we didn't see a body (and I imagine there would have been exit interviews with James Remar, which I'm not seeing), but I wonder how he did get out of it and why has he gone underground, and not even told the Pierces anything.

Love you, Lynn, but you really should have known not to take Jace at her word.

I wonder how much more needling Khalil can take, before even he might try to make a move against Tobias.

Did like seeing how each of the Pierces' reacted to Gambi's supposed death, with Jennifer straight-up crying and mourning, Anissa running back to Grace, and Jefferson in denial about it, getting drunk, and finally breaking (although, again, I suspect he'll end up being right.)

Looks like not only is Grace a meta, but she's taking some kind of pill that can control her powers.  Hmm...

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Jediknight said:

I had to laugh at the guy in the bar shoving Jefferson.  Yes, by all means shove the guy built like he should be in the NFL, there's no way he can knock you on your ass with one hit.

Even more ridiculously, Jefferson was a gold medal Olympian. It was in track and field, but if he did even a little bit of shotput then he's strong as fuq.

• Love 1

"It's a depressing day in the neighborhood. A depressing day for Freeland . . . " - the theme song in my head.

"I saved fourteen people, bitch!" - Dr. Helga Jace, clearly opting to see the glass half full before throwing it in Lynn's face.

Bright side: no out-of-touch and/or possible 100 minion principal tearing down what Jefferson had worked so hard for. But Gambi's (presumed) dead, Tobias is still an asshole, and the Pierce girls still don't have everything set in their lives.

What was the deal with the cop and Anissa at the end? Does it have to do with the mercury-looking stuff leaking out of that one guy's body?

If Jefferson's double life is revealed, how much you wanna bet Two Bits will say he knew that the entire time?

• Love 2
20 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Looks like not only is Grace a meta, but she's taking some kind of pill that can control her powers.  Hmm...

I was thinking maybe it was just something to keep her emotions in check, since intense emotions seem to bring out "an episode" of power eruption. I guess that's too simple a solution for a show like this, but I'm still surprised no one seems to have tried it.

This show has a very high body count, and they seem to be willing to kill of or ruin even really interesting characters, like Jill Scott's. But I truly never imagined they might kill Gambi. If they go through with it, it will be very upsetting. But if they don't, then this episode just feels really cheap and manipulative. So, I don't know what I want to have happen.

I hope he had an ironclad will and left everything to Jefferson. If not, the whole secret lair is about to be exposed.

Jeff to Anissa: "I forgot to tell you, he knows I'm Black Lightning" I did laugh at that.

I hate that Lynn was duped. C'mon, Lynn! You know she's a psychotic monster, and she already killed for fun. Why would you trust her even a teeny tiny bit?

On 11/14/2018 at 3:54 AM, AnimeMania said:

She also seems to have a pill that allows her to keep her meta powers in check. I can think of a mother and a daughter that might be interested in having a sample of that pill to test.

On 11/14/2018 at 4:08 AM, thuganomics85 said:

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was thinking maybe it was just something to keep her emotions in check, since intense emotions seem to bring out "an episode" of power eruption. I guess that's too simple a solution for a show like this, but I'm still surprised no one seems to have tried it.

Jennifer is already trying as hard as she can by using cannabis like she does (she even referred to it as her medicine in a previous episode).

• Love 1

I need a body before I can accept Gambi being dead for real. I dont think they would kill him off like that, and I dont want him to be dead! I am with Jefferson on this one, I cant imagine he is actually dead, he has way too many backup plans within the backup plans. 

The whole family mourning Gambi was well done though, I really could feel their grief, especially Jefferson. He hit denile really hard, then went through the rest of the stages of grief even harder, without getting quite to acceptance. I actually think one of my favorite parts was when Jennifer was looking through Facebook pics of her and Gambi, while smiling a little, it felt really real. 

So Grace is back, and she has powers? The plot thickens! I hope we can get to know Grace more, she seems like a nice person, and her having powers means she can interact with the main plot a bit more, if Annisa can finally commit to one person. I love Annisa, but she isnt great at communication in her romantic life. Also, I LOVED Graces apartment! That interior designing was on point! 

• Love 1
On 11/15/2018 at 1:13 AM, possibilities said:

I hate that Lynn was duped. C'mon, Lynn! You know she's a psychotic monster, and she already killed for fun. Why would you trust her even a teeny tiny bit?

I do too - I guess Lynn was desperate for a win - but it meant we got Lynn punching that nut and "we saved fourteen lives, BITCH" which made me LOL.

I am torn with Gambi.  It almost does feel like the stakes need to be raised even more against the Pierces but that whole scenario was so reminiscent of Nick Fury's similar debacle in Winter Soldier that I'm holding out hope for Gambi and his nifty red boots.

I'm not feeling positive about the decision to home school Jennifer.  Obviously her parents don't want her setting anyone on fire but she craves normalcy and so will end up looking for it.  I don't get a "good girl will save the bad boy" vibe from the connection with Khalil, rather, two young people stuck in situations that aren't what they thought and are looking for some kind of friendship, even if Jennifer knows it's a bad idea.   I guess I can empathazie with Jennifer a bit more - I think Anissa's great, but she has embraced her badass self and is going full superhero while Jen is still figuring things out and trying to finish school.  I continue to love their relationship.

There's a hell of a lot going on this season but I feel like they're tying it together pretty well. 

• Love 3