Type keyword(s) to search

Forged In Fire - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, johntfs said:

I kind of like the carcasses, though my mom doesn't (we watch together when possible).  My thing we the dummies is when Doug says "It lacerated here.  Dug in deeply here and did this other thing here,"  I'm like, "If you say so, Doug.  It all looks like bones in Jell-o to me."  With the carcasses I can actual see the damage the cuts inflicted (or failed to inflict).

Haha, that is true about the bones in Jell-o! 

35 minutes ago, Eliza422 said:

I like the carcasses - one thing the ballistic gel dummies don't replicate is the effect of hair/fur and skin. Plus I think it looks cool, especially when they slice one in half with one cut!

I admit, it does look cool. I tried to find out where they get the carcasses but couldn't find anything online, though someone messaged Doug and found out that they do use the meat, either the crew cooks what's still good for themselves or they donate it, so at least it doesn't go to waste.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Gothish520 said:

Haha, that is true about the bones in Jell-o! 

I admit, it does look cool. I tried to find out where they get the carcasses but couldn't find anything online, though someone messaged Doug and found out that they do use the meat, either the crew cooks what's still good for themselves or they donate it, so at least it doesn't go to waste.

I'm glad to know they use it, that is one thing that I didn't like is thinking it was going to waste.

• Love 3

It's funny, I see ads for things on History that are clearly spin-offs from FIF and so far they've all been junk, completely missing what makes FIF a good show. Knife Or Death we discussed upthread and now Master and Apprentice, which I couldn't watch for more than 20 minutes before I had to turn it off. I'm sure that there is a market for "Jersey Shore Meets Weaponry" but I doubt it is much of a market.  The Master and Apprentice episode of FIF was pretty good as far as the tone and the relationship between the contestants (except for the "Master" who just vanished mid-show) but the whining and complaining on this new show ... yikes.

Ah, well, must remember not to get sucked in to other things on History and stick with FIF.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, WildPlum said:

It's funny, I see ads for things on History that are clearly spin-offs from FIF and so far they've all been junk, completely missing what makes FIF a good show. Knife Or Death we discussed upthread and now Master and Apprentice, which I couldn't watch for more than 20 minutes before I had to turn it off. I'm sure that there is a market for "Jersey Shore Meets Weaponry" but I doubt it is much of a market.  The Master and Apprentice episode of FIF was pretty good as far as the tone and the relationship between the contestants (except for the "Master" who just vanished mid-show) but the whining and complaining on this new show ... yikes.

Ah, well, must remember not to get sucked in to other things on History and stick with FIF.

The people imagining these new shows must think we, as the viewing audience, only care about the weaponry.  While I am interested and entertained by the different blades they make (the historical ones in the third round), I really watch for the judges and Wil.  I love Jay, Dave, Doug, Jason, and I am even warming up to Ben (as a judge).  They are fun to watch, know their stuff, and obviously enjoy being there.  It is rare to see a judging panel like FIF.  

• Love 9

I’ve never heard of wind and fire wheels but they are impressive weapons without a doubt. I was glad to see Rebel win, though I’m sorry Chuck’s weapons broke. Rebel had a great attitude and a clever way of approaching things from a fresh, unique style. I never would’ve thought of riveting those wheels together from smaller pieces, that was pretty cool. All of the contestants seemed like good guys tonight (though really, assholes are generally the exception, not the rule on this show, thankfully).

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I’ve never heard of wind and fire wheels but they are impressive weapons without a doubt. I was glad to see Rebel win, though I’m sorry Chuck’s weapons broke. Rebel had a great attitude and a clever way of approaching things from a fresh, unique style. I never would’ve thought of riveting those wheels together from smaller pieces, that was pretty cool. All of the contestants seemed like good guys tonight (though really, assholes are generally the exception, not the rule on this show, thankfully).

Yeah those were pretty interesting weapons and Rebel was pretty chill and did a nice job.

On 7/8/2018 at 5:48 PM, Destiny74 said:

The people imagining these new shows must think we, as the viewing audience, only care about the weaponry.  While I am interested and entertained by the different blades they make (the historical ones in the third round), I really watch for the judges and Wil.  I love Jay, Dave, Doug, Jason, and I am even warming up to Ben (as a judge).  They are fun to watch, know their stuff, and obviously enjoy being there.  It is rare to see a judging panel like FIF.  

Indeed, I agree! They really struck gold with these guys.

• Love 4

"You're the Forged in Fire Champion but we decided to keep the money this time.  What do you say?"

Man, I love this show and I love these guys.

Shame about the Damascus blade the dude had to trash.  It was beautiful.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

"You're the Forged in Fire Champion but we decided to keep the money this time.  What do you say?"

Man, I love this show and I love these guys.

Shame about the Damascus blade the dude had to trash.  It was beautiful.

I was thinking the same thing, that Damascus came out sweet! 

2 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I was thinking the same thing, that Damascus came out sweet! 

Sweet, but cracked.  I loved how Wil and especially Doug were just cringing during the flexing strength tests.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, johntfs said:

Sweet, but cracked.  I loved how Wil and especially Doug were just cringing during the flexing strength tests.

I was cringing too.  That was tough to watch.

• Love 4

Are the weapons supposed to be able to survive these strength tests?  Or are they arbitrary and for 'tv drama' purposes?  I'm not convinced that asking it to survive something that no one would ever do to it is warranted.  Is there a difference in these recent episodes from earlier seasons?

I didn't like the elimination of the hour of work.    The time constraints are inherent in the format -- I want to see good work done by talented artists.  I hope that was a one-off.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

I just want one freaking episode where every blade makes it all the way through the testing.  All of these failed blades are getting old.

I can't really blame that on the show.  The forging materials have been pretty straightforward in the last couple of episodes which had the failed blades.  Last week's was the big nut and regular bar stock.  This week's had the big ball.  Neither of them were "cut a bicycle apart and make a canister damascus billet using iron leached from your own blood" kind of challenges.  Last week's was really bad.  It came off as "a competent blade-smith versus the three blade-smith stooges."

• Love 1
5 hours ago, clytierising said:

Are the weapons supposed to be able to survive these strength tests?  Or are they arbitrary and for 'tv drama' purposes?  I'm not convinced that asking it to survive something that no one would ever do to it is warranted.  Is there a difference in these recent episodes from earlier seasons?

I didn't like the elimination of the hour of work.    The time constraints are inherent in the format -- I want to see good work done by talented artists.  I hope that was a one-off.

I think they have upped the ante as far as what the blades are put through. They seem to be using harder test materials and chopping them more times and with gleeful abandon.

They've also juiced up the banter between the guys, which is mostly amusing but I hope they don't cross the fine line into buffoonery.

• Love 1

To me it's getting frustrating and tiresome to consistently watch tests that exist solely to break blades. We all know what will happen if you try to chop a giant nail (or an antler, or a steel bar, etc) with a knife. We all know it's not good. I want to see bladesmiths make cool weapons, not watch J Neilson gleefully shatter blades against things that no one would ever take a knife to. Be better than this, Show. Especially now that Face Off slunk off into the great unknown.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 6
On 8/9/2018 at 11:05 AM, johntfs said:

I can't really blame that on the show.  The forging materials have been pretty straightforward in the last couple of episodes which had the failed blades.  Last week's was the big nut and regular bar stock.  This week's had the big ball.  Neither of them were "cut a bicycle apart and make a canister damascus billet using iron leached from your own blood" kind of challenges.  Last week's was really bad.  It came off as "a competent blade-smith versus the three blade-smith stooges."

I don't care whose fault it is; I just want to see well-made blades that are capable of making it through whatever the judges throw at them.  I like seeing the testing!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

I don't care whose fault it is; I just want to see well-made blades that are capable of making it through whatever the judges throw at them.  I like seeing the testing!

So do I, but people are going to make what they're going to make and it'll either hold up or it won't.

• Love 1

I had to laugh that one of the machines in Trevor’s shop had “Mr. Squishy” painted on it!

Yet another overcomplicated first challenge with too little time, and yet another catastrophic failure in round three. Disappointing. Both of the final blades were beautiful looking, though.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I had to laugh that one of the machines in Trevor’s shop had “Mr. Squishy” painted on it!

Yet another overcomplicated first challenge with too little time, and yet another catastrophic failure in round three. Disappointing. Both of the final blades were beautiful looking, though.

I know....coal forge.....outside.....and Sanmei????

it was just too much...

• Love 4

We have to come up with a FiF equivalent to "Another one bites the dust".  Because last night, well...... another one bit the dust, and I could tell as soon as there were less than 5 minutes left and they hadn't had the final round tests. 

Now that we've sat out (what seems to be at least) a year of Doug healing from his injury, did anyone else wince when he went after than ram carcass?  I mean, he was going for it, and his arm wrapped around his body in the follow-thru. 

BTW, I am really over these episodes consistently running 3 minutes past the hour.  They're only doing it to skew the viewer numbers and what it really does is mess up my DVR if I've got something I'm recording right after.  With a few exceptions, there's nothing on the show where they couldn't edit out 3 minutes.  As is proven by the Cutting Deeper episodes, where they add content and are still edited down to 60 minutes. 

• Love 3
On 8/14/2018 at 11:53 PM, Eliza422 said:

I know....coal forge.....outside.....and Sanmei????

it was just too much...

Not to mention try to find good steel from all the stuff laying around a campsite. This challenge was so hard that I felt like it should of been some super duper fif master challenge. The first guy eliminated did not even meet one parameter of the challenge and I do not think that has ever happened before. The poor guy seemed like he was about to burst into tears during his exit interview.

• Love 1

I have to say I loved the testing in the second round when all 3 judges were going at it at once, on the spikes especially! You can tell they were trying to hammer in sync.

I'm totally shocked not a single blade broke in half during that test.

• Love 1

But in the final the guy with the clearly better blade was forced to leave when his pommel came off.   His blade didn't break, the pommel came off.  I just don't consider that a catastrophic failure.  So the winner, i.e., last man standing, presented a blade that was too heavy, bent, and bounced off the boar's carcass.  This one leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

But in the final the guy with the clearly better blade was forced to leave when his pommel came off.   His blade didn't break, the pommel came off.  I just don't consider that a catastrophic failure.  So the winner, i.e., last man standing, presented a blade that was too heavy, bent, and bounced off the boar's carcass.  This one leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree. They said catastrophic failure, but the blade was intact as well as the rest of the handle. This one definitely didn't sit well with me.

• Love 3

My heart broke for Drew.  It makes me wonder how much time they have between the in-studio rounds and the home-studio rounds.  His home forge looked clean and well organized and the lack of fuel for his torch an odd oversight.  Seems as though once chosen to be on the show they would pre-prep as much as possible for the prospect of making the final round.

If they invite previous players back, I hope he makes the list.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, clytierising said:

If they invite previous players back, I hope he makes the list.

During the "Judge's Choice" episode, Doug's pick was Mareko Maumasi because, as Doug said, "You had the better Gladius but lost due to a handle issue."  Drew's Arming Sword was clearly the superior weapon in every aspect the was tested (kill factor, sharpness, durability) except for that fucking pommel coming off.  If there's another Judge's Choice episode, I could easily see Doug wanting Drew.

• Love 3

Yeah, I'm pretty much counting on him getting a second chance, because he did a great job.  And I get why it was a catastrophic failure. First, on that sword, the pommel was a requirement. If your sword doesn't have a pommel, it no longer fits the requirements. Second, the pommel was an integral part of the sword because it serves to balance the blade. Drew's sword felt great in Doug's hand because it was perfectly balanced. When the pommel fell off, it was no longer balanced and no longer easy to wield.

Having said that, it still sucks to see that happen, and I'm looking forward to seeing him again. I think he would be a candidate for fan favorites, judges choice, or any other show that brings guys back for a second chance. The people who make this show saw (and probably thought) the same things we saw. I feel very confident that we'll see him again.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Second, the pommel was an integral part of the sword because it serves to balance the blade. Drew's sword felt great in Doug's hand because it was perfectly balanced. When the pommel fell off, it was no longer balanced and no longer easy to wield.

I think even with the pommel missing it would still have been easier to wield than John's sword, which Doug and J. both noted was really heavy and also warped.  Hell the damn thing came in with a slight warp.  I get it.  The pommel was part of the requirement, but that was still such a shitty way for the guy with the clearly superior weapon to lose.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I get it.  The pommel was part of the requirement, but that was still such a shitty way for the guy with the clearly superior weapon to lose.

Which is why I feel very confident that we'll see him again.

I have mixed feelings about some of these wacky historical weapons they come up with. The Sengese really seemed dubious. I have a hard time believing that historical smiths made them better than the modern ones or that ancient blades could have survived that kind of strength test either. I'm glad they tested both blades though. I don't like it when one blade fails and they don't finish the testing with the other one. Anyway, congrats to Ashe. (On a shallow note, he was pretty cute.)

• Love 3

So, this time everyone bites the dust............

20 hours ago, Kathira said:

I have mixed feelings about some of these wacky historical weapons they come up with. The Sengese really seemed dubious. I have a hard time believing that historical smiths made them better than the modern ones or that ancient blades could have survived that kind of strength test either. I'm glad they tested both blades though. I don't like it when one blade fails and they don't finish the testing with the other one. Anyway, congrats to Ashe. (On a shallow note, he was pretty cute.)

I noticed that Jay was really banging away with those weapons in both rounds.  The ice chop (or similar) is usually 3-6 hits at the most, but Jay was going 10 times.  (Plus, you could hear him grunting!)  I'm surprised none of the second round knives failed.  Also, a while ago someone posted some BTS info that says that David Baker makes the sample of the historical weapon.  I wonder if his version held up?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

So, this time everyone bites the dust............

I noticed that Jay was really banging away with those weapons in both rounds.  The ice chop (or similar) is usually 3-6 hits at the most, but Jay was going 10 times.  (Plus, you could hear him grunting!)  I'm surprised none of the second round knives failed.  Also, a while ago someone posted some BTS info that says that David Baker makes the sample of the historical weapon.  I wonder if his version held up?

Since both blades failed at about the same point on the blade, I wondered if there was some trick in forging that would've made that point stronger?  Then again, I know nothing about blade forging except what I have seen on this show.

Doug was down right giddy for the second place blade during the keal test.  I thought he was going to giggle.

Jay enjoys his job.  Whacking away at ice must be incredible to expell stress.  He never seemed to go quite this hard in earlier seasons.  

Has there been an episode this season where a blade has NOT broken, at least at some point throughout the competition?  I mean, I think there is some kind of catastrophic failure every episode at some point.

I agree that Ashe was a cutie but the way he pronounced his name was killing me the whole episode.  I've never heard it pronounced Ash-A.

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Destiny74 said:

Since both blades failed at about the same point on the blade, I wondered if there was some trick in forging that would've made that point stronger?  Then again, I know nothing about blade forging except what I have seen on this show.

Doug was down right giddy for the second place blade during the keal test.  I thought he was going to giggle.

Jay enjoys his job.  Whacking away at ice must be incredible to expell stress.  He never seemed to go quite this hard in earlier seasons.  

Has there been an episode this season where a blade has NOT broken, at least at some point throughout the competition?  I mean, I think there is some kind of catastrophic failure every episode at some point.

I agree that Ashe was a cutie but the way he pronounced his name was killing me the whole episode.  I've never heard it pronounced Ash-A.

Ashe's broke near the spike, but I thought the other guy's broke at the upper curve? 

Regardless, this has definitely been The Season of Broken Blades. So much so that I fully expect at least one to break every episode. Love this show and will continue to watch, but I wish they would dial back the chop tests.

All tall, skinny young guys with blondish hair remind me of one of my nephews so I always root for them, lol. He was a nice kid with good skills too, so I'm happy he won.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

ITA, it seemed a bit poncey for a kid from a tiny town in New Mexico. 

3 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Ashe's broke near the spike, but I thought the other guy's broke at the upper curve?

It was definitely low down towards the handle. 

• Love 1
On 8/30/2018 at 8:54 AM, Destiny74 said:

I am glad I am not the only one that has noticed this about Jay. He was such a mild-mannered even-keeled guy in the earlier seasons and I have heard he is a great teacher. This season it almost seems like he is taking sadistic pleasure in breaking the blades.

19 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

ITA, it seemed a bit poncey for a kid from a tiny town in New Mexico. 

It was definitely low down towards the handle. 

I wonder if his parents are some type off the grid intellectual hippies?

22 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Regardless, this has definitely been The Season of Broken Blades. So much so that I fully expect at least one to break every episode. Love this show and will continue to watch, but I wish they would dial back the chop tests.

All tall, skinny young guys with blondish hair remind me of one of my nephews so I always root for them, lol. He was a nice kid with good skills too, so I'm happy he won.

Ashe was a very impressive young man. I was impressed with his maturity and youthful enthusiasm.  

• Love 5
On 8/30/2018 at 10:36 AM, Gothish520 said:

I’ve scaled back to every 2nd or 3rd episode because of this. I think even the higher caliber of talent in the first season or two would have the same results with theses parameters and this stupid strength tests. 

And now for my controversial opinion. I like Doug and he seems like a nice guy. But I’m tired of the it will keallll tests. Knives aren’t just instruments of death; they are tools. It would be nice to see tests that don’t involve Doug wildly slashing and stabbing with large arcs from his side. Outside of being in a knife fight, who does that? Use the knife for a task that it’s intended for. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, hkit said:

Outside of being in a knife fight, who does that? Use the knife for a task that it’s intended for. 

True, but the kill test only occurs with the final weapons, not with the knives they make in the first part of the show.  The knives are subjected to strength and sharpness tests. And I agree with everybody else, the strength tests recently are unnecessarily brutal. Nobody in their right mind would hammer a perfectly good blade into the metal rim of an oak barrel, so why is that a test?

They send the smiths home to recreate an iconic weapon from history. Pretty much every weapon they've ever been sent home to make was at one point used to kill somebody or something (usually somebody).  So I do think the kill test is relevant.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

And I agree with everybody else, the strength tests recently are unnecessarily brutal. Nobody in their right mind would hammer a perfectly good blade into the metal rim of an oak barrel, so why is that a test?

Exactly. Slashing through bamboo or chopping ice, maybe, but who uses a knife on a metal spike?

• Love 1
On 8/30/2018 at 7:54 AM, Destiny74 said:

Believe it or not I’ve met quite a few people pronounce that name Ashe = A-shae. He didn’t seem poncy to me. Poncy means pretentious he just seemed polite and well spoken.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:28 AM, qtpye said:

I wonder if his parents are some type off the grid intellectual hippies?

SEASON 5 EPISODE 27 HOLLYWOOD EDITION

New Mexico is full of retired military and people who only served 3-4 years and discharged back to civilian life. With the Ram skulls in his shop I’d say no one is a hippie. And not off the grid from looking at his shop and the fact that people order swords from him somehow. Great friend of mine moved from here in Florida to Truth or Consequences N.M he was a rich kid and sort of like Ashe. New Mexico also has a large group of people who move there to ski and snowboard so there’s that. 

Now to why I found this site. The episode I just watched had another 18 year old his name was  Trystan he said he was a nerd making video game knives. They sort of commented on how he worked and found it humorous. He quenched twice and his last one he only had 40 seconds of course. He turned the blade in they said he failed to meet the parameters. But they said the blades have to be between 12 & 15” that would be tip to guard or handle. They measured his and said it measured 10 5/8 to the plunge grind. It was a survival Rambo knife (Hollywood Edition episode). But his tape showed that the blade was 11” to the plunge. He was holding the tape at such an angle that it was off an 1/8”. But the blade measured from tip to guard / tang was 12.5” at least. The other contestant was 1/8” too narrow. It was supposed to be 2” wide so it makes me wonder if his was measured right by David Baker. The kid drew his design and parameters on the workstation as well as on paper like the beginning so he was particular about it. 

Did they cheat him?? Was it so they could move who they wanted to too the next round. 

Edited by JoeJoe
  • Love 3

Nice start to the Invitational Championship.  No broken blades.  No catastrophic failures.  No deeply stupid errors.  Some blades were just better than others.  One thing this episode showed was the need for smiths working on the historical weapon to really think carefully about how the weapon is supposed to work and what it's supposed to do instead of just trying to "forge for the tests."  The Mortuary Sword was meant to be wielded one-handed by a dude riding a horse.  It needs to be sharp and tough, sure, but it also needs to be light and easily maneuverable.  I'd say that overall Riley's sword did slightly better than Kirk's during the testing.  The problem and the thing that undid him was that his weapon was too damned heavy to really be suitable as a cavalry sword.  So Kirk moves ahead. 

• Love 2

Is anyone else pissed that History took a show that's been doing fine on Tuesday nights for 4 years and moves it to Wednesdays?  And they've brought back that stupid Knife or Death spinoff, which should probably get it's own thread.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Is anyone else pissed that History took a show that's been doing fine on Tuesday nights for 4 years and moves it to Wednesdays?  And they've brought back that stupid Knife or Death spinoff, which should probably get it's own thread.

I was actually kind of okay with that move.  FiF is one of the very few shows I watch live with my mom.  However, I've also been having to work a late shift on Tuesdays, so the move to Wednesdays lets me watch it live with her.  Meanwhile, Knife or Death looked stupid from the get-go so we just don't watch it.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, johntfs said:

Meanwhile, Knife or Death looked stupid from the get-go so we just don't watch it.

Well, this particular episode was more stupid than usual, as it featured past FiF winners instead of experienced knife competitors.  I really though someone was going to lose a leg a couple of times.

• Love 1
On 10/7/2018 at 2:38 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

Well, this particular episode was more stupid than usual, as it featured past FiF winners instead of experienced knife competitors.  I really though someone was going to lose a leg a couple of times.

It really is cheesy but I can't help but watch to see the blades and how well they (and their wielders) perform. 

On 10/7/2018 at 2:38 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

I agree.  I like the contestants that use knives they forge themselves, but only if they are also experienced knife wielders.  I thought a couple of the guys would be leaving in ambulances.

• Love 1

Well, if Derrick wins the tournament, he should be able to throw only hell of a wedding/honeymoon with 50K.  It's a bit of a tossup so far.  In terms of sheer skill, I think that Kirk and Derrick and pretty evenly matched, but Nicholas seems to have a more modern, better equipped shop, which is very much an edge in and of itself.  I admit that I am curious as to next week's episode just to see the difference between "metal-workers" and the other three kinds of, well, metal-workers.

• Love 3