Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: The Mountain And The Viper: Speculation Thread

• Start Topic

Here is a chance to speculate about what events may or may not occur in episode 8 only.

There will be weekly episode spec threads for individual episodes from now on so please either save your thoughts about eps 9 & 10 for those or post them in another appropriate thread.

This is a Book Talk thread, therefore, if you are unspoiled please leave now or risk spoilers.

Thank you.

Well, one thing we know is coming up in ep. 8 (cue, the title).  And that's going to break my heart, alas...

I do wonder, though, whether BriPod are going to start coming across hanged Freys, which will tell us much about whether unCat is going to be in the season finale, or not.  We know that ep. 9 takes place at the Wall, so no hanging Freys there.  I had really expected to start seeing them in this previous episode--if the show does go with the unCat (Lady Stoneheart) storyline, then I hope they keep the hanged Freys nameless, not have Brienne or Pod identify them, but let the audience figure it out for themselves.  Like, 'Hey!  Look at those stupid hats on those hanging guys!  Those are those assholes who killed all the Starks at that miserable wedding!!  Somebody's getting revenge, YAY!!   But... who??  Who's doing this?' 

I think that'd be the way to make the eventual reveal a real shocker.  Anybody else?

• Love 2

Those you who watch with unsullied friends and family, need to stock up on extra tissues and liquor. and maybe have a grief hotline on speed dial.

As for unCat: agreed. In fact, i think a great way to end the season would be to introduce her right at the end, through Brienne's eyes.

Of course that means they'd better *&^%$#@! well get the next book out before the next season starts or i won't be able to watch it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Those you who watch with unsullied friends and family, need to stock up on extra tissues and liquor. and maybe have a grief hotline on speed dial.

And maybe even set up the camera so that we can have a "Fan Reactions to the Red We... I mean, Duel" video on youtube.  Because I'm going to be really depressed and need something funny to watch to lift my spirits.

Edited by LilWharveyGal
  • Love 2
(edited)

We're going to need this for me and my bookwalker friends as well.  All of my buddies who read the books LOVE Oberyn and the crying and cosmic bargaining for a way for the TV show to let him live has already started.  The tumblr blogs I follow are going NUTS.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

What do we think Sansa's lie for Littlefinger will be? Lysa tripped and fell through the gaping hole in the floor, left open for no good reason?

My guess is that they'll say Lysa commited suicide. Everyone knows how unstable she is, so I'm sure Littlefinger can come up with a plausible "reason" why she would do it.

• Love 1

I think her lie is going to be something to make him look heroic.  He'll say something like he didn't do enough to stop her and she'll say that's a lie, he loved her and begged her to come away from the Moon Door but Lysa wouldn't listen, blah blah...

• Love 1

I was honestly more gutted by Oberyn's death than by anything else I've read in the books. Robb and Catelyn's deaths were heart breaking, but moreso because of what it meant in the grand scheme of things. I did not care for Robb in the books, or the TV show.

Oberyn is a different story. The guy is the epitome of bad ass, and to read that amazing combat scene only to have it end the way it did...ugh, I had to re-read that last part multiple times because I just couldn't accept it. So many people are going to be gutted by this, myself included.

• Love 8

My guess is that Petyr says Lysa killed herself, but Sansa steps up to say that he’s lying:  Lysa was raging and trying to push her out the Moon Door, but slipped and fell.    “Lord Balish lies, but I have to tell the truth… it was all my fault!  We were struggling and she slipped… I grabbed her and tried to pull her up but I wasn’t strong enough.  I... I… killed her!” [que crocodile tears].  The assembled lords of the Vale or whoever then absolve her, because they know a pretty, young woman would be blameless.

I was honestly more gutted by Oberyn's death than by anything else I've read in the books. Robb and Catelyn's deaths were heart breaking, but moreso because of what it meant in the grand scheme of things. I did not care for Robb in the books, or the TV show.

Oberyn is a different story. The guy is the epitome of bad ass, and to read that amazing combat scene only to have it end the way it did...ugh, I had to re-read that last part multiple times because I just couldn't accept it. So many people are going to be gutted by this, myself included.

Conversely, I can't reread the Oberyn / Mountain fight chapter because it annoyed me too much.  Oberyn woould have won, but for trying to gloat.  It was an incredibly stupid and impatient action, especially considering he'd been plotting revenge against Elia's killers with his brother for over a decade. 

• Love 2

Every season seems to have a gut-wrenching death and Oberyn's will be this season's. And yes, another death that could have been avoided too. Its really a shame, they did such a wonderful job in casting Oberyn, I liked him a helluva lot more on the show than in the book.  Pedro Pascal was simply fabulous. 

It seems they alternate, to some extent, who is in each episode, so I don't expect we'll see Brienne and Pod in the next episode or Arya/Hound.  I expect most of the Episode 8 will be the combat and aftermath, plus potentially the Sansa/Littlefinger resolution to Lysa's death.  Plus we'll have to get something with Mance and/or Ygritte & Co. to set up for episode 9.  Also probably a Bran scene.

Nah, I think we're in for another teased Stark reunion with Arya/Sandor this close to Vale, and Sansa's sl ongong. Maybe Lysa's death is connected to them being turned away at the gate, maybe we have more surprise returning guests as they get into a fight with the mountain clans. There has to some other event, after their progress in the last ep, before she leaves him for dead in the finale and gets on the ship to Braavos.

Hmm.

(Hound and Arya on the approach the the Aerie.)

Hound: The castle is up there, we're underneath where it overhangs.

Arya: Wait, what's that on the ground?

Hound: It looks like a body. Get back, someone's coming!

(they hug a curve in the cliff wall and watch as a small party, led by Littlefinger, approaches.)

Hound: *&^%$#@! Baelish! Him being here can't be good.

Arya: They're taking away the body-- ahh--

Hound (clamps her mouth): Too late. Again.

Arya: So, i suppose you're going to sell me to Littlefinger, then.

Hound: And have him sell *me* to the Lannisters? No, we leave now, as quickly and quietly as possible.

Arya: And go where?

Hound: Dunno, but seeing as you're the *&^%$#@! Queen in the North now, i figure you should start thinking how you're gonna pay your army. That's me, by the way.

(they leave.)

• Love 4

I'm bringing over my speculation from TWoP about the scene where Sansa is testifying. I think it will go like this: "Lord Baelish has told many lies but I have to tell the truth. I am not Alayne, Petyr's niece. I am [OMG, is she going to say she's Sansa Stark?!?] Alayne Stone, his bastard daughter. Lord Baelish said that I shouldn't tell her, but Lady Lysa was so kind to me that I couldn't keep lying to her. It is all my fault. She couldn't bear the though of Petyr having a child, she jumped because of me."

If it happens this way, maybe Sansa suggested the daughter part as a way to try to keep Littlefinger from kissing her again. 

• Love 5

I'm bringing over my speculation from TWoP about the scene where Sansa is testifying. I think it will go like this: "Lord Baelish has told many lies but I have to tell the truth. I am not Alayne, Petyr's niece. I am [OMG, is she going to say she's Sansa Stark?!?] Alayne Stone, his bastard daughter. Lord Baelish said that I shouldn't tell her, but Lady Lysa was so kind to me that I couldn't keep lying to her. It is all my fault. She couldn't bear the though of Petyr having a child, she jumped because of me."

If it happens this way, maybe Sansa suggested the daughter part as a way to try to keep Littlefinger from kissing her again. 

That's pretty good. So good I expect the actual explanation to make much less sense.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm with you on that. I just remember reading it and thinking that Oberyn actually got the upper hand and was actually going to win and Tyrion would be freed (back when I liked Tyrion before ADWD...). And then everything went so wrong, so fast.

It pains me everytime I see non-book readers who are convinced he will win. I want to look forward to this fight because it looks epic, but I'm dreading it because of the outcome. I wonder how they're going to handle Gregor's eventual "death" from his poison wound. Maybe he'll die sooner, instead of having that "is he dead yet?" game play out forever like it seemed to do in the books.

I'm very curious to see how the events of Lysa's murder unfold without that singer guy to blame.

Edited by ellystar
  • Love 1
(edited)

I loved Oberyn in the books and I love him even more thanks to Pedro Pascal.  I'm used to everyone dying and no one is safe and all that, but finally (for me) it's going to be a death that's really going to hurt.  Ned?  Nope (though a surprise since I hadn't read the books yet).  Red Wedding?  Nope.  Oberyn?  A brutal kick right in the feels.  :( 

I'm bringing over my speculation from TWoP about the scene where Sansa is testifying.<snip>

Silje I like that.  I want to see Sansa come up with something that shows she's crafty and could possibly outmaneuver Petyr sometime down the road.

Edited by GreyBunny

From the non book talk Mountain Viper Speculation Thread:

I'm excited about the fight but I think this might be the first predictable outcome this show has given us. I really don't expect Tyrion to die and that probably means Oberyn wins... or doesn't lose.

Moahaha

• Love 3
I'm excited about the fight but I think this might be the first predictable outcome this show has given us. I really don't expect Tyrion to die and that probably means Oberyn wins... or doesn't lose.

Oh you poor poor sweet summer child (whoever you are).

*sad face* such a shame he dies, I love that character.

• Love 2

I was positively looking forward to the Red Wedding last year, but I feel bad for anyone watching this unspoiled. Though I guess it's good to know the Red Wedding hasn't left everyone always expecting the worst.

I found Oberyn super cool in the book, and I was bummed when he got smashed.

The fight has the potential to look very good on screen; Show!Oberyn turned into a well rounded and passionate character so his demise will really hit the guts. We'll all be there with Ellaria's pain (great job at establishing the solidity of their relationship)...

So.. actually... yes,... in a perverse way... I'm kinda... totally looking forward to it. 

Plus Lena Headey looked so gorgeous and smug in her strut over entrails in the last ep, that I'm also looking forward to love to hate Cersei's gloating after the combat.

GoT: embrace your pain.

• Love 1

I found Oberyn super cool in the book, and I was bummed when he got smashed.

The fight has the potential to look very good on screen; Show!Oberyn turned into a well rounded and passionate character so his demise will really hit the guts. We'll all be there with Ellaria's pain (great job at establishing the solidity of their relationship)...

So.. actually... yes,... in a perverse way... I'm kinda... totally looking forward to it. 

Plus Lena Headey looked so gorgeous and smug in her strut over entrails in the last ep, that I'm also looking forward to love to hate Cersei's gloating after the combat.

GoT: embrace your pain.

7VjCpMm.gif

• Love 1

One thing we're going to miss on the show is the sheer overshadowing bulk of the Mountain, made bulker by his wearing three layers of full armor without being hampered.

Also, while we're all shaking our heads over the unsullied speculation about the outcome of the fight, we're overlooking another aspect. And that's the venue. Those unsullied who've speculated about that are assuming it will be a public event, probably requiring payment for admission, in an actual arena. The first shock the unsullied will get is when they see that the fight takes place in an open area where the only walls are the spectators themselves. The second shock will be when someone doesn't get out of the way fast enough and gets cut in two by the Mountain.

This won't lessen the final shock, though.

(edited)

About the fighting venue:

We did see some of the fighting area in previews and there are walls and seating like a sports arena.  I would hope that someone in the audience does get cut just to bring home the horror of what Oberyn is facing, but the spectators look like they're well away from any immediate danger.

A photo of the arena:

http://www.geekexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/l2.jpg

Edited by GreyBunny
(edited)

About the fighting venue:

We did see some of the fighting area in previews and there are walls and seating like a sports arena.  I would hope that someone in the audience does get cut just to bring home the horror of what Oberyn is facing, but the spectators look like they're well away from any immediate danger.

A photo of the arena:

http://www.geekexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/l2.jpg

The bro behind the Mountain looks like a Lannister red shirt. 

He'll do just fine as the stable boy.

Edited by SilverStormm
Tagged potential spoilery info
  • Love 3

Lots of photos just released:

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/27/pictures-game-thrones-season-4-episode-8-mountain-viper/

Great stuff here:

* Arya with the Hound, then Arya alone.  Hound dies/"dies" this episode?

* Dany with Missandei, Grey Worm, and Selmy, then Jorah alone on a boat.  (Obviously, named "The Friendzone").  Jorah's exile this episode?

* Very conspicuous picture of Grandmaester Pycelle... why?  What is left for him to do now?

Read this elsewhere: this is the book talk thread I realise but it could be seen as spoilery as it kinda confirms certain events that happen this episode, so I'm tagging it to be on the safe side:

Jorah is given the boot, Arya and the Hound fight off the Knights of the Vale and the Hound is mortally wounded, the Wildlings attack Mole’s Town, Theon and Ramsay take Moat Cailin, Sansa plays the Lords Declarant like a pro and to top it all off - the trial by combat!

(edited)

* Very conspicuous picture of Grandmaester Pycelle... why?  What is left for him to do now?

Fail to save the Mountain, so Cersei can then give him over to her bff Qyburn for experimentation in the finale.

I was on the right track with Arya/Sandor then, does it look like they're on the same path Sansa traveled to the Bloody Gate? ETA: To answer my own question, yes, there's more pics here, including one of the Knight of the Gate. Also a shot of Moat Cailin.

Would've thought Jorah's exile would be pushed to the finale.

Edited by Lady S.
(edited)
Would've thought Jorah's exile would be pushed to the finale.

I thought so too.  I would have guessed that Tyrion and Jorah would both go into exile in the finale for symmetry purposes.  Tywin's letter must have been sent by a messenger with a teleporter.

Edited by GreyBunny

News does travel fast across the narrow sea these days, Dany's conquest of Meereen, the murder of Joffrey, now the identity of Varys's ex-spy, you'd think these people had access to some Westerosi-equivalent of Google.

• Love 2

News does travel fast across the narrow sea these days, Dany's conquest of Meereen, the murder of Joffrey, now the identity of Varys's ex-spy, you'd think these people had access to some Westerosi-equivalent of Google.

It's called The Weir(wood)Net. ;)

• Love 3
(edited)

It's called The Weir(wood)Net. ;)

Bloodraven is involved in the affairs of his great-great-great-half niece? Greenseers do have their fingers in a lot of pies.

Actually, thinking on it, a span of two eps isn't that fast for GoT news delivery. Hearing about Joff's death the ep after was a bit much, but two eps was the time span in s1. Jorah found out Dany was pregnant in 1.03, then Robert found out and ordered her death in 1.05, then Jorah got his pardon and foiled Varys's half-assed assassination attempt in 1.07.

Edited by Lady S.

Bloodraven is involved in the affairs of his great-great-great-half niece? Greenseers do have their fingers in a lot of pies. Actually, thinking on it, a span of two eps isn't that fast for GoT news delivery. Hearing about Joff's death the ep after was a bit much, but two eps was the time span in s1. Jorah found out Dany was pregnant in 1.03, then Robert found out and ordered her death in 1.05, then Jorah got his pardon and foiled Varys's half-assed assassination attempt in 1.07.

Please don't take my comment seriously, it was an (admittedly poor) attempt at humour...

I wasn't, ;), Bloodraven still guiding the Targ dynasty was my even worse attempt at humor. Weirwoodnet as world wide web is only slightly less amusing than jokes about Daario being Benjen or Quaithe being Dany from the future. Unless I'm lurking one of the many crackpot threads at w.org I do assume such ideas are meant to not be taken too seriously.

(edited)
Please don't take my comment seriously, it was an (admittedly poor) attempt at humour...

The WeirNet.  I like it.  You got a giggle out of me.  :)

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

Lol well thank you muchly - looks like I'm on a roll tonight - just found out I won a prize for submitting a winning question to GRRM's Editors online Q&A too, now if I can just get those damn lottery numbers right, I'll have a hat trick in the bag! ;)

• Love 1

It was the death of the Red Viper that made me think that GRRM is a sadist.  Why do all of the 'good guys' have to die horrible deaths in this man's fantasy world?

I'm glad I know who will die up to the last book because being an unsullied and being crushed all the time would make me throw things at my tv.

• Love 2

I'm glad I know who will die up to the last book because being an unsullied and being crushed all the time would make me throw things at my tv.

Ha!  Seriously, you need to armor yourself to survive this show or else it will crush you.  And yeah, Oberyn's death really hurt on the page and will so even more on screen because Pedro has been so fantastic in the role.  

I'm hoping we'll get to see some of the BwB handiwork this episode in the form of a few dead Frey's on the road-that would also confirm UnCat for the finale which would be awesome.  (Not to mention in a season of so much heartache a few dead Frey's might cheer us all up.)  

Looks like Ramsay will take Moat Cailin in this episode and that we'll have another near miss Stark reunion-I wonder if the Hound will start to sicken here-maybe even die in this episode.  

But what's really intriguing to me is Sansa's scene in the Vale.  They're already introducing the Lords Declarant, and things are moving very quickly on her storyline-could this be where she starts to transition from pawn to player?!?  Fingers crossed...

Ha!  Seriously, you need to armor yourself to survive this show or else it will crush you.  And yeah, Oberyn's death really hurt on the page and will so even more on screen because Pedro has been so fantastic in the role.  

I'm hoping we'll get to see some of the BwB handiwork this episode in the form of a few dead Frey's on the road-that would also confirm UnCat for the finale which would be awesome.  (Not to mention in a season of so much heartache a few dead Frey's might cheer us all up.)  

Looks like Ramsay will take Moat Cailin in this episode and that we'll have another near miss Stark reunion-I wonder if the Hound will start to sicken here-maybe even die in this episode.  

But what's really intriguing to me is Sansa's scene in the Vale.  They're already introducing the Lords Declarant, and things are moving very quickly on her storyline-could this be where she starts to transition from pawn to player?!?  Fingers crossed...

Re The Hound apparently he is

injured in a fight with the knights of the vale

in this episode. Also reading an interview with the director of this episode, 'Sophie Turner really comes into her own during

the trial of Littlefinger

'. Make of that what you will...