Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: The Morning After

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, sashayshante said:

And maybe I'm alone in this but I think Adina Porter's acting is wooden and without range.

Not alone. She's a poor substitute for Angela Bassett and she basically has staring with cold dead eyes as her signature. 

I find Leslie Grossman amusing but really, she's playing the same sort of character she played last season. 

And I will go against public sentiment -I haven't seen Versace but Cody Fern so far hasn't been "amaze-balls" to me. Not awful, but not game changing either.

• Love 6
On 9/20/2018 at 12:47 AM, Hazel55 said:

Yes. If Emily and Timothy are the writers attempt to give the show a "moral center" of two sympathetic characters, than they are failing miserably.  Emily and Timothy started out bland, and seem to be getting duller with each episode. They lack any kind of depth, characterization, motivation, or overall internal life save for their cliched romance with each other. 

It seems churlish to wish death on two such nice kids... but honestly, I can't help but hope Langdon would make the two disappear with his antichrist voodoo so that we can focus on other, more interesting characters.

Speaking of which: the hairstylist and his Nana went from one dimensional stereotypes to two very well fleshed out, believable characters over the space of the episode. Seeing them reminded me of how, back in the prime of AHS, Ryan Murphy used to create such fascinating, complex characters, like Tate Langdon, Lana Winters, Sister Jude, etc. I hope we'll see more of a revival of that strong writing this season. 

Timothy and Emily are frustrating because they COULD be interesting, but instead we got, what, one line of dialogue where Emily questioned if they were really picked for their DNA. We know nothing of her background. Timothy must have survivor's guilt up the wazoo. I like them being motivated as the Nancy Drews of the Outpost and not just as the horny beautiful kids who want to go screw. Kyle Allen and Ash Santos are certainly charismatic enough to do more.

ITA in regards to the Evie/Gallant scenes. I also thought that flashback was a sly commentary on aging for men in the gay community; is there something between coke-snorting club kid and Pottery Barn manger with 10 dogs, or the extremes between hypersexual and neutered?

Langdon is totally Satan with all the mind games, right? The Enemy tries to convince you that your most horrible thoughts about yourself are true. 

I follow someone on Instagram that somehow gets episodes several hours in advance and uploads clips. I won't reveal specifics, but tonight's episode looks ba-na-nas, as in major plot twist! If you've felt the reason has been moving slow, I think tonight is the night when everything kicks in.

• Love 1
On 9/25/2018 at 1:46 AM, Rap541 said:

Not alone. She's a poor substitute for Angela Bassett and she basically has staring with cold dead eyes as her signature. 

I find Leslie Grossman amusing but really, she's playing the same sort of character she played last season. 

And I will go against public sentiment -I haven't seen Versace but Cody Fern so far hasn't been "amaze-balls" to me. Not awful, but not game changing either.

I agree . Fern seems like a perfectly adequate actor, but nothing “amazing.” I feel th same about Evan Peters. You don’t get points for being a pretty boy.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2018 at 10:43 AM, gayasfuck said:

That, in my opinion, is not true at all. Every season is connected. It's a complex story. Like how Pepper was institutionalized at Briarcliff, but then rescued by Elsa Mars. Or how Queenie from Coven won a spot on a game show and was fed on by a vampire at the Hotel Cortez. It's essentially a cinematic universe in the making. The fact that it can be random at times doesn't really help in understanding that universe one hundred percent, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't 'cohesive story-telling'. 

Did Queenie’s appearance actually add anything or enhance  the Hotel storyline?

Having random cameo appearances  of characters from other seasons doesn’t make it perse cohesive story telling.  The story has to make some sort of narrative sense, the people can’t  just do conflicting 180 turns in their characterization  for shock value, and major plot lines shouldn’t be thrown away and ignored  after a major build up.  Killing off most of the characters in a bloodbath to resolve their storylines without addressing the conflicts set up for them just strikes me as lazy and sloppy.

Cohesive story lines to me implies that even within a fantastical or surreal setting there is a strong emotional  payoff when the plot lines are resolved, whereas in most AHS seasons the finales  fizzle off and limp to a conclusion.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, gayasfuck said:

I doubt anyone is going to yell at you. I posted this play by play of episode two HOURS before it aired on TV because I got it early on my FireTV stick for somereaason and watched it at 5PM. If they wanna be mad at you, they gotta be mad at me first :) 

And thank you for doing so! Do all the epis please!!