Type keyword(s) to search

Perry Mason - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, schnauzergirl said:

Barbara Hale, the one and only Della Street, passed away yesterday at age 94.  She was a perfect match for Perry.

Amen to that! I always liked how she, Perry and Paul all were on first name bases despite their official titles and functions and worked together like a well-oiled machine! One curious sidenote to the show re Miss Street happened at the end of an episode in which she had helped care for a client's baby and she started crying that she was sad because she'd 'never be a mother' -despite the fact that she was only in her 30's!

• Love 3

1. Perry actually takes a full vacation somewhere (especially Lake Tahoe) without being hooked or dragged into a case.

2. Paul Drake tells Perry that he's too busy with other clients to take Perry's latest assignment.

3. A child is found to have been born of a nonmarital union and no last-minute 'secret marriage' or case of mistaken identity changes that fact by the episode's close.

• Love 3

???????(because I don't have a ranting emoji or banging head on wall emoji on my phone)

The Hallmark Movie Channel  had the marathon today and I missed over HALF of them! Though, they're not airng them in order because the one with Hal Holbrook is on now, and the next handful are with Raymond Burr, but none of them are Perry Mason Returns, but that's okay because I watched the UNEDITED version on my 50th Anniversary dvd!???

And damn if I didn't tear up and get the good goosebumps and chills when Della said "Oh Perry!" and Perry walked up to her and took her in his arms! SIGH...

What?

I know she was 94 and lived a long and apparently happy life, but I am so sad that Barbara Hale is gone.  It was nice being able to watch the original Perrys and remember that she was still alive.  She always seemed like such a lovely and intelligent person and she brought those qualities to her role of course.

MeTV put up a remembrance still for her, but I wish they would dig around and find some episodes where she is featured more prominently.  I did recently see The Case of the Glamorous Ghost where Della receives a hefty finder's reward for finding rare jewels being smuggled in a jar of makeup (or was it cold cream - does anyone use that expression anymore?) and promises to take Perry and Paul out to dinner at the end.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 4

So I finally got the movies, and am watching them as I recover from surgery and OMG. The inane stooopidity of the cops has me ??‍♀️??‍♀️. I could hand wave Lt. Tragg's violations (no Miranda yet), but what are the excuses of these asshats arresting the defendant at the crime scene, when there was no proof of them holding the murder weapon, for example. And without a warrant, going over and looking in Tony Domenico's CAR when the murder took place in the HOUSE? and it not be thrown out in The Case of the Murdered Madam. Or these idiot clients letting the cops violate their constitutional rights? I swear, the writing in the early movies was down right horrid.

Though I love them, the show was so much more superior. They had an extra hour, these movies, and still, they failed. The best thing to come from them was seeing Perry and Della and seeing their deep friendship blossom into love, and that they didn't kill Perry off when Raymond Burr passed away.

I'm bummed that this set doesn't have that special NBC aired after he passed, even though it was hosted by Bill Cosby. Or any interviews with say, William Katt, on how it felt to play Paul Drake, Jr. and working with "Uncle Raymond."

I do get a delicious thrill at seeing how many soap stars appeared in these movies, along with beloved stars from the sitcoms I watched as a child and teen.?

• Love 1
On 2/13/2017 at 2:08 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I finally got the movies, and am watching them as I recover from surgery and OMG. The inane stooopidity of the cops has me ??‍♀️??‍♀️. I could hand wave Lt. Tragg's violations (no Miranda yet), but what are the excuses of these asshats arresting the defendant at the crime scene, when there was no proof of them holding the murder weapon, for example. And without a warrant, going over and looking in Tony Domenico's CAR when the murder took place in the HOUSE? and it not be thrown out in The Case of the Murdered Madam. Or these idiot clients letting the cops violate their constitutional rights? I swear, the writing in the early movies was down right horrid.

Though I love them, the show was so much more superior. They had an extra hour, these movies, and still, they failed. The best thing to come from them was seeing Perry and Della and seeing their deep friendship blossom into love, and that they didn't kill Perry off when Raymond Burr passed away.

I'm bummed that this set doesn't have that special NBC aired after he passed, even though it was hosted by Bill Cosby. Or any interviews with say, William Katt, on how it felt to play Paul Drake, Jr. and working with "Uncle Raymond."

I do get a delicious thrill at seeing how many soap stars appeared in these movies, along with beloved stars from the sitcoms I watched as a child and teen.?

Sweet. Yea the cops were dingbats. But it made no difference to me. I just love them for what they're worth. Agreed on the writing though. Raymond Burr didn't like them either to be fair, he had to rewrite some of it. I remember either seeing that in an interview or reading about it.

Agreed, in part. Some of the older episodes fell flat too. There's one, The Case of the Grinning Gorilla, that I don't ever want to see again. It was VERY bad. Forced chemistry and it just made me cringe.

Word. That made the movies special to me. I didn't know what it was back when I was younger, but it's been fun watching them again as an adult and seeing all the little moments between them. 

• Love 1

Ugh. I really really didn't like the character of Amy, played by Alexandra Paul. Such a ditz. And I was yelling "No she ISN'T!" When the writers had Perry tell Ken that Amy was his "Della." First of all, Della has common sense and isn't an idiot. I'm glad we only had to suffer her for three movies, I think. Or maybe it was two.

Boo! to no throwaway line about why Paul was no longer their investigator.  And Barbara Hale had said that the reason why was that William Katt had a new show, but after checking on imdb, it either wasn't picked up, or cancelled after a few episodes. So why not bring him back? It's not as if these movies were a weekly series? I think there were two or three movies a year. I really wish they'd brought him back. And I know I'm the minority in this.

And along with the loss of Paul, we also lost David Ogden Stiers as ADA Reston, and got the revolving doors of different ADAs prosecuting.

But I'm loving seeing the revolving doors of actors I've loved all my life appearing in these movies. Some, more than once! We even got Tippi Hedren! And wow, did she look eons better than her own daughter! Poor Melanie Griffith just destroyed her face.

But I'm also watching the original series as I'm watching the movies, and again, I much prefer the original series.

8 hours ago, Hilpzub said:

Talk about chemistry-what a couple on and off screen. Love it!

Seriously! If she weren't happily married and he weren't gay, I would have wondered if they were involved in real life! The fact that he has said he would marry her, considering that he wasn't straight-speaks volumes to me.

Ahem.

I found a show gaffe and keep meaning to mention it, but always get sidetracked.

The original show was set in Los Angeles. The movies in Denver. For the most part. YET...the opening credits for the movies? The emblem of the court? Superior Court of Los Angeles. I don't know if it was cheaper to film in Denver, or why they set it in Denver. I don't remember if I read anything why they did this. But it was such an oversight with respect to the opening credits-they could have designed one that stated it was a court in Denver! At least in Defiant Daughter, they had Perry say that it had been years since he tried a case in Nevada. Too bad that Wikliam Katt was no longer doing the movies when they did that one-it would have been a nice reunion with Richard Culp, who he had starred with in The Greatest American Hero!??

At least Don Galloway, who Burr had starred with in Ironside appeared in two of these movies, to reunite! Before they had done the Ironside movies!

Yeah, I'm playing the REUNITED and MISSED OPPORTUNITIES Game while I'm watching!???

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Seriously! If she weren't happily married and he weren't gay, I would have wondered if they were involved in real life! The fact that he has said he would marry her, considering that he wasn't straight-speaks volumes to me.

Ahem.

I found a show gaffe and keep meaning to mention it, but always get sidetracked.

The original show was set in Los Angeles. The movies in Denver. For the most part. YET...the opening credits for the movies? The emblem of the court? Superior Court of Los Angeles. I don't know if it was cheaper to film in Denver, or why they set it in Denver. I don't remember if I read anything why they did this. But it was such an oversight with respect to the opening credits-they could have designed one that stated it was a court in Denver! At least in Defiant Daughter, they had Perry say that it had been years since he tried a case in Nevada. Too bad that Wikliam Katt was no longer doing the movies when they did that one-it would have been a nice reunion with Richard Culp, who he had starred with in The Greatest American Hero!??

At least Don Galloway, who Burr had starred with in Ironside appeared in two of these movies, to reunite! Before they had done the Ironside movies!

Yeah, I'm playing the REUNITED and MISSES OPPORTUNITIES Game while I'm watching!???

Word. My mom and I thought he might have been bisexual to be honest, given his chemistry with her. 

As for the interview, that was just a wonderful one. I wanted to see it for the longest time! But the only one I found originally was taken down, so it's nice to be able to finally come across it and be able to watch it.

I had to quickly confirm on imdb, because I could have sworn Mike Connors had also appeared in the movies, but no. Alas, he only appeared in the series as Defense Attorney Joe Kelly; at a time, when I think Raymond Burr couldn't film due to his back injury. I think. There were three times that I can recall, once Mike Connors stood in for him, Betty Davis did it...twice? And some other dude, whose name I can't recall.

Anyhoo, I see it as a missed opportunity to not have Mike Connors reprise his role and appear in the movies.

So far, I've only seen on actress, who appeared in both. Julie Sommars. She first appeared in the series, The Case of the Careless Kitten, and then in the movie, The Case of the Glass Coffin.

I think it would have been a hoot, if Constance Towers, who was a "regular" on the original series, could have appeared in one of the movies.

So I finally finished watching all the movies and for the life of me, I can't understand how Brock made it to Lieutenant. He had to be the biggest buffoon of a cop. I tried, but I kept yelling and pulling my hair at the number of times he arrested Perry's or Bill's would be clients, without any probable cause. Just because they had discovered the body, in his mind meant they were the murderer. And I'm not talking about the ones stupid enough to have touched or picked up the murder weapon. He's worse than Tragg.

It's too bad Barbara Hale's appearances decreased with each movie after Burr passed away. I love Holland Taylor, but resented her character in the last movie. Then again, Della was going to Perry, who was at The Hague.

And though I wish the movies had ended when he passed, I now understand why they didn't-Raymond Burr set it up so that Hale and Moses would get paid for the future movies in the making, or something like that.  He was a FIRST CLASS GENTLEMAN.

• Love 2

In Perry Mason Returns, we find out that Della has been working for Arthur Gordon for eight years.  Does anybody else wonder why -- or like me, doubt -- she would ever leave Perry?  I understand the plot line made that necessary, but why would she leave?  Judges need someone to manage their office so she could have gone with him.  Certainly no indication of a falling out.  In a later movie, Della says she's been with Perry for 41 years, so there's a continuity problem.  I may be over-thinking this, but it's always seemed so out-of-character.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

In Perry Mason Returns, we find out that Della has been working for Arthur Gordon for eight years.  Does anybody else wonder why -- or like me, doubt -- she would ever leave Perry?  I understand the plot line made that necessary, but why would she leave?  Judges need someone to manage their office so she could have gone with him.  Certainly no indication of a falling out.  In a later movie, Della says she's been with Perry for 41 years, so there's a continuity problem.  I may be over-thinking this, but it's always seemed so out-of-character.

Yeah, I've always wondered why Perry didn't take Della with him when he became a judge. All I could think was : PLOT! to start off the movies. In my head cannon, I'd like to think when the show ended, Perry and Della remained together as a team.

As for the Las Vegas movie where Della told Robert Culp's secretary that she had been with Perry for over 40 years? I took that as Della's way of trying to get the secretary to open up without having to go into detail about the eight year separation.??

And now I'm MAJORLY PISSED because my service provider stopped carrying MeTV due to...reasons, and no more Perry!!!!??????????????

Or any of the other shows!!!

• Love 1

Just to get back to the original show...MeTV is currently carrying the later shows and I'm looking forward to them getting back to Season One again, but I recently saw just an excellent later episode, The Case of the Deadly Verdict.  It's the famous episode where Perry loses a murder case (at first...) but so many things stand out...the self-hating defendant who won't help herself, the great night scene in the victim's bedroom where Perry, alone, tries to figure everything out while the voices of Tragg and Burger from the trial are run as voiceover...Burger's stunned look as he gets the "win" but is shocked by it.

As far as the ultimate reveal, let's just say that a certain actor was indeed "a nasty boy!" (in-joke from another role..)

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2

Oh! I forgot to come in here earlier and do my crazy happy prancy ? ????at learning MeTV was brought back after three weeks of being removed from my provider due to affiliation agreement ending and replacing channel with another stoopid movie channel. It's BACK!  On a different channel, but it, along with all my favorite retro shows, including this one, is BACK!!!!!!

????????????????????

• Love 2
18 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That's interesting,because I prefer the original show and think those episodes were much better.?

I do, too, but it gives me occasion to remark how weird the episodes in the first season were, in light of the classic Perry Mason that evolved. In those first season eps, he's more like a hard-boiled film noir private dick than a defense attorney. At times, he has a vaguely unpleasant air, like the noir heavies Burr played in his pre-show career. There's more action--sometimes Burr is actually called upon to run somewhere, for God's sake. And more implied sex and romance between Perry and Della. I recall a scene on an ocean cruise the two of them apparently took together. And Tragg was a distinctly nastier and more antagonistic force. None of the collegial-adversary thing. The idea of first-season Tragg showing up in the "but Perry, how did you know" wrap-up is unthinkable.

It's interesting to me, the process through which the Mason character, his relationships with his colleagues, and the tone of the show got defined and refined between season one and season two. 

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

1. Perry is dictating a really long trial summary to Della late at night, and no phone calls interrupt him, so he's able to actually finish!

2. Perry confronts the "real" killer at the end of the episode.  The killer denies everything, and the judge tells Perry that without any further proof, Perry's line of questioning is out of order and he must move on to something else.  Perry's client eventually goes to the gas chamber.

3. Hamilton Burger is kicked out of office by an angry LA public for gross incompetence.  He loses his license to practice law for the same reason.  He applies for a job as an investigator at the Paul Drake Detective Agency and is laughed out of Paul's office.

4. Perry doesn't like his chances of winning, so he goes to the DA and shops around for a deal on a lesser charge for his client.

• Love 4
On 8/26/2014 at 9:47 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

One of my favorite quotes, which is said by both Perry and Burger, in different episodes..."Objection, Your Honor! That question is Incompetent, Irrelevant and Immaterial.." not necessarily in that order!

Always made me laugh because of the word "incompetent", until I looked it up and discovered that back then, incompetent was a legal word actually used!

This word always grabs my attention in the show also. What did you find out as to what it actually meant? (I'm too lazy to find out.)

On 9/26/2017 at 5:19 PM, Milburn Stone said:

This word always grabs my attention in the show also. What did you find out as to what it actually meant? (I'm too lazy to find out.)

I got the answer from a mystery author, who was a lawyer before she became an author --Leslie Budewitz:

"Generally, it means that the witness has no basis to know what he claims to know. As if I testified about astrophysics or whether Oswald acted alone. It’s an old-fashioned term; these days, most lawyers would say “objection: foundation.”

• Love 2

WAHOO!!!!!!! My set is COMPLETE! I FINALLY have all seasons! It only took four years for the prices to drop by 50%! The last two seasons (four dvds because CBS loooves to divide them into two volumes) used to run anywhere from $30-$35 a volume. They are now $11.95 to $14.00! So I have THE ENTIRE television show, the 25th Anniversary or is it 20th? that shows all the auditions tests, AND the movies! I is happy!

• Love 2

Not sure how much traction this forum gets and if anyone will see this before Saturday, but this weekend a channel called Decades is doing a mini-marathon of twenty or so of the PM movies. I'm happy because I finally get to see the first one, that wasn't shown during the last marathon!

• Love 2

Recently I acquired the DVDs of the last four seasons, and decided to go right to the final episode of the final season, self-reflectively titled "The Case of the Final Fade-Out," to see how they handled what they knew would be their farewell. The title was just the beginning of the self-reflective awesomeness.

The episode (Number 30 in its season) was full of in-jokes, self-references, and winks to the audience, a loving farewell indeed. For starters, the murder took place on the set of a successful TV series shooting what turned out to be its last episode! (There's talk at the beginning in the producer's office that next year, the series will be in color! But the murder scotches that possibility. I had a suspicion about this reference which I've just confirmed. Episode 21 of Perry Mason's final season was filmed in color, as a test for a possible Season 10, which never happened!)

Then we have the name of the defendant--Jackson Sidemark, the producer of the show on the shooting stage of which the murder has taken place. An amazing amalgam of the names of the actual producers of Perry Mason: Gail Patrick Jackson, Art Seid, and Arthur Marks! (A further pun of sorts is that the shooting stage becomes an actual shooting stage when the murder takes place.)

And in a truly lovely gesture to the behind-the-scenes folks of Perry Mason (and to the audience), when the detectives start interviewing all the members of the crew who were on the set of Jackson Sidemark's show when the murder took place, many of these crew members are played by the actual crew members of Perry Mason. A chance for them to come out of the shadows and get the recognition they deserve in the show's swan song.

Probably many of you fans have seen this episode and know all the affectionate self-references it contains, but it was a first for me, and I couldn't get over it. What a way to go.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 7

Awesome :).

Been catching up on the series  (well as much as I can since some of the episodes aren't being shown). I'm up to the latter part of season 5.

Only had to skip one episode so far as one of the actresses got on my nerves and fast forward through parts of another (didn't mind the case, but one of the actresses singing was something else O_O).

• Love 1

had to quickly confirm on imdb, because I could have sworn Mike Connors had also appeared in the movies, but no. Alas, he only appeared in the series as Defense Attorney Joe Kelly; at a time, when I think Raymond Burr couldn't film due to his back injury. I think. There were three times that I can recall, once Mike Connors stood in for him, Betty Davis did it...twice? And some other dude, whose name I can't recall.

Other actors who stood in for Raymond Burr include Michael Rennie, Hugh O'Brian and Walter Pidgeon.

• Love 4

Season 7 does have some good shows but I am such a Ray Collins fan that I am sad when Tragg fades out of the show due to his illness and death.

MeTV is running Season One again, I think in the morning rotation.  Love that semi-noir feel, Perry is even wearing a fedora in a car in The Case of the Crimson Kiss.

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, roseha said:

Season 7 does have some good shows but I am such a Ray Collins fan that I am sad when Tragg fades out of the show due to his illness and death.

MeTV is running Season One again, I think in the morning rotation.  Love that semi-noir feel, Perry is even wearing a fedora in a car in The Case of the Crimson Kiss.

Wow. He passed in s7?

In the middle of s8 and am pleasantly surprised. Got kind of burnt by 'The Case of the Grinning Gorilla' (the chemistry was off for a lot of the episode in my opinion), that I originally thought it would be throughout the season. So far it hasn't been. Only episode in this season that's been a bit of a slog is 'The Case of the Frustrated Folk Singer'.  The actress that plays the aspiring actress kind of gets on my nerves a little bit.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
48 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Wow. He passed in s7?

Sorry AntiBeeSpray, I guess I was generalizing, but Ray Collins passed away in 1965, and Wiki lists him as being in the show through 1964.  Still, I believe he was gradually written out of the show due to ill health if I remember correctly, and other actors were brought in to play the police characters.  I loved Ray's humor.  It always struck me as odd that, by comparison, the actor they brought in to replace him, who played "Andy" Anderson, had such a deadpan delivery, not unlike Jack Webb.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, roseha said:

Sorry AntiBeeSpray, I guess I was generalizing, but Ray Collins passed away in 1965, and Wiki lists him as being in the show through 1964.  Still, I believe he was gradually written out of the show due to ill health if I remember correctly, and other actors were brought in to play the police characters.  I loved Ray's humor.  It always struck me as odd that, by comparison, the actor they brought in to replace him, who played "Andy" Anderson, had such a deadpan delivery, not unlike Jack Webb.

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Yea I did too. Definitely. 

I'm still on my first run-through of the series, am in the middle of season five. Only a few more to go to get to TCOT Borrowed Baby, which I've heard is a good one. What do fans consider the best episodes and why?

Noted, though, that I seem to have done this backwards in that I watched the movies first, where Perry and Della seem to have committed themselves to each other, so I can't help but watch the series so far through that lens. But I must say I vastly prefer this Paul Drake to his son in the movies ;)  

• Love 2
16 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I'm still on my first run-through of the series, am in the middle of season five. Only a few more to go to get to TCOT Borrowed Baby, which I've heard is a good one. What do fans consider the best episodes and why?

My favorite episode (and this is only my own opinion) is the last episode aired, the aptly named TCOT Final Fade-Out - (Season 9, episode 30). It's full of behind the scene nuggets from the show. Many of the actual crew from the show appeared in the episode. Erle Stanley Gardner appeared as a judge. I thought it was a very fitting way for the show to go out and let everyone take a well-deserved bow.

Then we were gifted with the movies and the fun started all over again.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Schnickelfritz said:

My favorite episode (and this is only my own opinion) is the last episode aired, the aptly named TCOT Final Fade-Out - (Season 9, episode 30). It's full of behind the scene nuggets from the show. Many of the actual crew from the show appeared in the episode. Erle Stanley Gardner appeared as a judge. I thought it was a very fitting way for the show to go out and let everyone take a well-deserved bow.

Then we were gifted with the movies and the fun started all over again.

Ah, the movies :) I've seen most of them except the first one where Della (!) was accused of murder and had been at a non-Perry related job for eight years. I wonder how that happened.

3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Ah, the movies :) I've seen most of them except the first one where Della (!) was accused of murder and had been at a non-Perry related job for eight years. I wonder how that happened.

Perry became a Superior Court judge, so Della ended up working for a businessman, who was the murder victim. The emotional beats were great, but the mystery so not a mystery because we were shown who the killer was and that it was a frame.

I much prefer the original series because it was more of a mystery and felt like I was watching a play and there was more tension and the characters so much more layered. I loved the team of Perry, Della and Paul.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Perry became a Superior Court judge, so Della ended up working for a businessman, who was the murder victim. The emotional beats were great, but the mystery so not a mystery because we were shown who the killer was and that it was a frame.

I much prefer the original series because it was more of a mystery and felt like I was watching a play and there was more tension and the characters so much more layered. I loved the team of Perry, Della and Paul.

Perry didn't want to take Della with him? Surely judges need secretaries/people to handle their affairs.

• Love 1