Type keyword(s) to search

Perry Mason - General Discussion

• Start Topic

As another librarian I can tell you that it's quite likely your library bought full sets but the disks were rapidly rendered unusable and had to be discarded. People are shockingly hard on our DVDs. We get things back that look like they've been dragged across asphalt. 

• LOL 1
On 2/20/2024 at 10:51 PM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

As another librarian I can tell you that it's quite likely your library bought full sets but the disks were rapidly rendered unusable and had to be discarded. People are shockingly hard on our DVDs. We get things back that look like they've been dragged across asphalt. 

As a lifelong library patron and former library employee, I understand how terribly people can treat books, DVDs, etc. (the time a patron returned a book with several pages soaked in what we all agreed was blood is etched in my memory), so I agree these disks may have become damaged or worn.  But it is odd that the 2 libraries in my library system that have the PM DVDs are both missing Volume 2 of Season 9 and only those from the entire series.  Perhaps they were faulty from the manufacturer?  

I'm now into the early part of season 8.  I cannot believe they never updated the decor (if one can call it that) of Perry's office.  His desk looks like a project from a high school shop class.  And the walls - ugh.  

1 minute ago, Calvada said:

But it is odd that the 2 libraries in my library system that have the PM DVDs are both missing Volume 2 of Season 9 and only those from the entire series. 

— which is why I suspect "theft," with the “thieves” maybe even thinking they could do a better job than a library of archiving these copies of the “rare” episodes — presuming the library would eventually discard them or that the discs would get damaged — which, as described above, is not a totally unwarranted concern.

My theory is based on experiences such as:
Before The Chicago Defender newspaper archives were digitized, the college library where I was employed had to move the microfilm reels to a locked cabinet because of theft issues. WorldCat shows just 18 libraries currently hold the Defender microfilm, and my former library is no longer one of them. 

Anyhoo —
Amazon is showing volume 2 of season 9 for 15 bucks, which is kind of a “steal,” heh: amazon.com/Perry-Mason-Ninth-Final-Season/dp/B00CL0MCN0

• Like 1

Perry Mason apparently is becoming real popular, especially with my cable service and three networks that will carry this show. We all know that MeTV carries it twice, once in the morning and once at night, and the JUSTICE channel shows 4 consecutive episodes than repeats them late night. Now the GFAM channel will carry Perry Mason starting April 1st at around 2 pm

• Like 3

I've noticed there are multiple channels showing Perry on any given day.  I haven't found one episode I haven't seen before. There are some shows I can watch more than once. As much as I like Perry, he isn't one of them.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I've noticed there are multiple channels showing Perry on any given day.  I haven't found one episode I haven't seen before. There are some shows I can watch more than once. As much as I like Perry, he isn't one of them.

I like Perry, but I don't watch it all the time, I just like watching the episodes I like to watch. Especially the ones where you see the side of these special characters as in the "Weary Watchdog". It's not the case itself, but at the beginning when Della asks Perry how far would he go for a friend. Watch Della's reaction the next time it comes on.

23 minutes ago, dttruman said:

I like Perry, but I don't watch it all the time, I just like watching the episodes I like to watch. Especially the ones where you see the side of these special characters as in the "Weary Watchdog". It's not the case itself, but at the beginning when Della asks Perry how far would he go for a friend. Watch Della's reaction the next time it comes on.

I remember that one. Yes, Della's reaction is good.

• Like 3
On 3/31/2024 at 7:13 AM, dttruman said:

Perry Mason apparently is becoming real popular, especially with my cable service and three networks that will carry this show. We all know that MeTV carries it twice, once in the morning and once at night, and the JUSTICE channel shows 4 consecutive episodes than repeats them late night. Now the GFAM channel will carry Perry Mason starting April 1st at around 2 pm

We have it starting at noon on GFAM. I'm really happy about it. I'd much rather watch Perry, even it I've seen it a million times than MSW. Something about dragging eighties fashions into the nineties bugs the crap out of me.