Type keyword(s) to search

Wayward Pines Anticipation

TV Guide sez:

This thriller event series from director M. Night Shyamalan stars Matt Dillon as Ethan Burke, a Secret Service agent dispatched to bucolic Wayward Pines, Idaho to locate two missing agents. Instead, he discovers a new set of disturbing questions as he journeys deeper into the small town. The all-star cast also includes Terrence Howard as Sheriff Pope, Melissa Leo as Nurse Pam, Juliette Lewis as bartender Beverly and Toby Jones as psychiatrist Dr. Jenkins.

• Love 1

Knowing it was filmed over a year ago and not released until now, makes me conjure up the following:

"We've got a 10-episode hole in our schedule. What's the least bad thing we can fill it with?"

"Well, there's Wayward Pines. It's pretty ghastly but we can play up M Night's fall -- "THIS is the show that brings him back!" That sort of BS. And Terrance Howard will bring in a bunch of ratings."

"OK, good. Go find it in the junk pile, give it a good dusting and we're good to go."

Does not exactly fill me with confidence

I haven't seen any of the ads but I do wonder how much Fox will promote "hey look it's Lucious Lyon as a sheriff!" as opposed to "well M  Night did give us The Sixth Sense...remember that?  16 years ago?  Back when he was decent? No? Um..."

• Love 1

I finally saw a commercial for this.  I usually like Twin Peaks flavored shows, and I like the cast here.  And more often than not I'm a fan of Shyamalan's stuff (enough to like The Happening, but not enough to like The Village), so I'll be watching.  

• Love 2

The pilot is also available through the FOXNOW app.

I'm one of the few people that actually likes M.Night. He's had some really interesting story ideas. Unfortunately they don't always translate well to screen. Anyway, I checked out the pilot. It was predictable at times, but intriguing. I'm definitely in for the next few episodes. At least until I find out what the heck is going on with this town.

• Love 3

Learned about this show a few weeks ago.  Found out it's based on a book, so I started reading the series.  It was half-way through book one when I found out about the release of the first episode, so I hurried up and finished.  I think they did a great job casting Matt Dillon.  Carla Gugino is good choice, too.  Not so sure about the rest of the cast, though.  I envisioned someone quite different than Terence Howard for the sheriff role.  Perhaps someone more imposing like Clancy Brown.

As for some comparing this to Twin Peaks, it's no coincidence since the author has credited it as being the inspiration for Wayward Pines.  Blake Crouch was a huge fan of the show when he was a child. 

IMDB has Shyamalan directing the first, ninth and final episodes.  It doesn't have him credited as writer, though, which is a good thing, IMHO. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Twin Peaks much?

Crossed with The Dome.

This has reminded me of a show that was on a few years ago, I wish I could remember the name. A disparate group of people were hijacked into a desert town that they couldn't escape from. Sort of like Lost in a way. It got kind of Lord of the Flies-ish, too . I would try to rent it if I could think of the title. I thought it was intriguing.

Edited by SoSueMe

I read the books when they first came out because the author had said he was inspired by Twin Peaks and I am a huge Twin Peaks fan. I do see some elements of it in the story but overall it is very different. I do think M. Night is actually a good fit. In some ways the story reminds me a lot more of something he would do rather than David Lynch. I am interested to see how it will play out on screen and what changes they make (if any).

Persons Unknown! I really liked that show! And so many other similar shows that were canceled and left me unsatisfied. :/ At least this one I have read the books and have an ending, even if it's not the ending they choose for the show. 

• Love 1

I wish they wouldn't prominently advertise "from M. Night Shyamalan."  The twists he does in his movie make me overthink them and inevitably end up disappointed.

I think in this case its actually a benefit to try and overthink what is going on.  Having M Night attached as a director doesn't change much, because from the beginning you know something weird is up, and there is something to "figure out" in this show.

From the first episode (even the trailers) its clear that there is something strange going on in this Town, and figuring out "the twist" is solving the mystery of what's going on.

When I read the first book, without knowing anything about it, I absolutely loved the journey you go on, and all the clues that are given along the way, and I was thrilled by the explanation at the end.   It all eventually makes some sort of sense.   And I loved the explanation.

I like stories like this one (and Vanilla Sky and Fight Club, for example) where you're following a trail of bread crumbs, and about two minutes before the reveal I say to myself "What the f*&% is going on here!?", and then whole mystery that was making no sense a minute ago unravels before you.

That's how the first book of the Wayward Pines series was for me, which I think takes you through the first 5 episodes of the show.

I prefer to let the TV show unfold on its own terms, so I won't be reading the books (for now).  Speculation is a tricky thing for me, in that I don't want to be spoiled by a theory that is better than what I've thought of on my own, especially if it turns out to be right.

For now, I'm mulling over the little details I've seen, rather than the big picture.  For example, in the promos: Why is someone cleaning the top of a marquis sign? (Do people do that in real life?)