Type keyword(s) to search

S02E05: Heart of the Dragon

OK, I definitely think shortening the season to 10 episodes is helping, because I feel like normally they would have dragged out Joy's betrayal and Mary's involvement for two or more episodes, but now all of it is pretty much out on the table now.  Can't wait to see where all of this goes and all of the fallouts with the various relationships.

So, Davos is the Iron Fist and his plan is to take out the Triad for good.  I do like that Davos is actually following a similar path to Danny and truly believes he is fighting for good, but the difference is he is straight-up murdering people and like doesn't care about any shades of grey or collateral damage.  Kind of reminds me of season two of Daredevil, and the conflict between Matt and Frank Castle (man, imagine with the freaking Punisher had a glowing fist of doom!)

Really enjoyed the Danny/Ward scene.  Well acted by Tom Pelphrey and even Finn Jones.

Did like how they briefly dismissed the idea of Claire helping out, although I guess "We didn't have the budget to afford Rosario Dawson this time!" line wouldn't have fit!

• Love 4

Danny/Ward scene was awesome. I hope that they are able to redeem the relationship between these two and Joy by the end of the season. I can't stand when they constantly tear up relationships for "drama."

Misty sure has been a big part of the season so far. Not that that's a bad thing. Simone Missick always does great. I wonder if they're putting out feelers for a Daughters of the Dragon series or something, the way they used to do backdoor pilots on network tv.

Sadly, I continue to be disappointed in Mary. They haven't even given her her nickname, which is kind of odd. Wonder if she'll end up adopting the "Typhoid" moniker by season's end?

• Love 1

I'm starting to suspect that this season is just a slow shift into Daughters of the Dragon.  So far they've made all the interesting moves.  Maybe the response during Luke Cage encouraged the writers/showrunners to expand their presence.  Because honestly, Danny was just a damsel in this episode.

I did enjoy Danny with Ward.  Ward makes Danny suck 40% less. 

• Love 2

During the prior episode, I knew that Davos was somehow taking the power of the Iron Fist away from Danny, which is an interesting story line. Except, are you going to tell me that Davos is the only one who ever heard of this obscure ritual. That the five fingers of the Hand, who also hail from K'un Lun didn't know about this ritual and could have used it in the Defenders, and therefore forgone trying to get Danny to open the door, because they would have had the fist and could have opened it themselves?

Somehow this is a Davos family secret?

And if the ritual is out there for people to know that the monks wouldn't insure that every Iron Fist that dies isn't somehow cremated to destroy the dragon sigil that gets burned into the skin so this ritual cannot be performed?

I too liked the Danny/Ward stuff, I just wish Ward had more to do this season. He was one of the stronger characters in season one.

I don't need to see a Daughters of the Dragon series. Don't get me wrong, I love them. Both in Luke Cage when they teamed up and here. They made the mistake, IMO, doing that with the Punisher. Great intro in DD2, but didn't need his own show which was a complete bore fest

• Love 1

I'm enjoying this season so far (in a lazy way; season 1 didn't exactly make me excited to watch season 2, but eh...). That said, the hallmark of this show continues to be sloppy plotting/writing.   Time continuity, character behavior, unnecessary obstacles for the sake of drama, etc.  I think a lot of that is the writers being somehow unable to understand- still- how much different life would be for a friggin' billionaire.  I think it would be a smarter choice to really explore that- how Danny Rand has the kind of resources a Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne would have, and how that would unavoidably change his behavior and goals, and not in the throw-away "I got you a fancy arm and I can pay your rent!" kind of way.

I mean, as an example, while Danny is not all about wealth and its trappings, and living this ascetic life of the humble furniture mover, I'd be shocked if [a real world] Ward didn't have Rand contacts on speed dial to discretely get Danny immediate, A+++ medical attention.   So instead, they let him limp around with a gut wound, an actual doctor says "Eh, fine, don't take him to a hospital"?  Things that are kind of a slap to the viewer, because it reads as almost childishly naive about the world.

That said, I still enjoy watching, and have grown on Finn Jones/Danny Rand.  "We live in a cynical world. A cynical world."... so it's kind of nice to have a hero who is a genuinely good, decent, noble person.  Imperfect, flawed, sure... but far better than most.

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:00 PM, RachelKM said:

I'm starting to suspect that this season is just a slow shift into Daughters of the Dragon.  So far they've made all the interesting moves.  Maybe the response during Luke Cage encouraged the writers/showrunners to expand their presence.  Because honestly, Danny was just a damsel in this episode.

I did enjoy Danny with Ward.  Ward makes Danny suck 40% less. 

You are others are reading way too much into it. Especially on the "damsel" part. There isn't one season of marvel Netflix series where the main character doesn't get taken out of commission at some point. It's just standard at this point. And Coleen/Knight work to spread at this show. They don't need their own. But, I've of the mind that I've never needed side characters to get their own show and I still don't. Part of what makes them awesome is not having to bear the brunt of leading anything. 

On 9/9/2018 at 4:31 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Did like how they briefly dismissed the idea of Claire helping out, although I guess "We didn't have the budget to afford Rosario Dawson this time!" line wouldn't have fit!

That's is what I thought too.  A bit disappointing though as Claire is a good character. At least she was mentioned.

4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Its not being unable to afford Rosario Dawson. She said she's done with the Marvel Netflix shows, she wants to spend time with her family.

Aw really? That sucks. Claire is my favorite character from all the Netflix shows. Well congratulations Ward, you've now moved into first place.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Its not being unable to afford Rosario Dawson. She said she's done with the Marvel Netflix shows, she wants to spend time with her family.

That's disappointing. I really like Claire as a character.

Is it weird that I kind of ship Ward/Misty now? Just a teeny bit, but...

Ditto the love for the Colleen and Misty team up, but I dont think I need them getting their own show. I love both of them, separately and together, but I feel like splitting even more characters into their own little corner of the TV side of the MCU would just make things disjointed. But if they draw on the comics, they could probably make it work. 

Also ditto loving the Danny and Ward scenes, those were really sweet, and very well played by the actors. Danny is so desperate for people to love and be loved by, its really nice to see Ward actually showing that he does still care. 

"They said he had a fist that was glowing red. New York, right?" I love how people in the MCU just give no fucks anymore about the weirdness that keeps happening. 

• Love 5

I actually think they've done a nice job showing how Joy has been betrayed by so many people in her life that I get why she's angry.  Is she reacting the way a well adjusted person would?  No.  But that's what makes a villain. 

Honestly, I was really annoyed at how her father, and Danny keep making decisions for her.

I even understand how Davos ended up the way he did.  With a mother like that, how else are you going to be?

I still don't trust Bethany. 

I'm all aboard the Ward/Misty train. Wisty train?