Type keyword(s) to search

I Can See For Miles: The Kids Are Alright In The Media

• Start Topic

On 5/10/2019 at 9:03 PM, SoMuchTV said:

How many episodes are left, anyway? I'm hoping that, like Speechless, they have a season finale that's a worthy series finale. And 20 years from now, it'll be the Freaks and Geeks of its time - "hey - look at all these big stars who got their start in that show!"  As we stream it in our self-driving hovercars.

I came in to say the same thing.  It's one of the few shows that my husband and I both liked.  I hope there'll be a DVD.

• Love 5
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:01 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Not even a little.  My best example of this is a tv show called Blade based off the movies.   It was on a channel that at the time was being directed toward middle aged men.   However this particular show did well with female audiences.   Of course the show was cancelled.  

There is also the infamous Firefly.  A show that should have been Joss Whedons next big hit after Buffy/Angel but the network execs moved it to every time slot imaginable so they canceled it after a season.  

TKAA was a great show but it had a horrible time slot.  I often forgot to watch it and picked it up later on Hulu.   I have no idea why i didn’t just put it on my DVR.

+1000 !  Firefly was beyond great, network execs should have been drawn and quartered.

I don't want to set us up for another disappointment, but there's current talk on social media that there's still a chance for a second season somewhere.  Hoping for the best...but prepared for disappointment.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I don't want to set us up for another disappointment, but there's current talk on social media that there's still a chance for a second season somewhere.  Hoping for the best...but prepared for disappointment.  

The cast was released from their contracts at the beginning of July so it seem very very unlikely.

So apparently the head honchos cancelled TKAA because, on top of it not having steady enough ratings, it didn't have a strong enough fanbase. Now how the hell they can argue that a mediocre show like Single Parents has more potential to grow then a quality, highly rated show like kids, I don't know. It sounds like they are trying to do a little damage control after Tim Doyle, perhaps rightly, implied that it was all a popularity contest at ABC.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/abc-karey-burke-on-the-kids-are-alright-cancellation-tca-abc-1202661658/

• Love 4
On 8/6/2019 at 11:41 AM, HeySandyStrange said:

So apparently the head honchos cancelled TKAA because, on top of it not having steady enough ratings, it didn't have a strong enough fanbase. Now how the hell they can argue that a mediocre show like Single Parents has more potential to grow then a quality, highly rated show like kids, I don't know. It sounds like they are trying to do a little damage control after Tim Doyle, perhaps rightly, implied that it was all a popularity contest at ABC.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/abc-karey-burke-on-the-kids-are-alright-cancellation-tca-abc-1202661658/

Yeah, their excuses for cancelling TKAA are a bunch of BS.  Honestly, I think it's incredibly suspicious that they renewed both of Elizabeth Meriwether's two horrible shows - Single Parents & Bless This Mess - which both had well-deserved poor reviews and bad ratings (which will only get worse this fall.)  It totally makes me wonder what Liz Meriwether has on the ABC execs. 😉  Something's not right there.

The Kids Are Alright just needed more exposure, because almost everyone who actually watched an episode or two became fans.  That cannot be said for Liz Meriwether's horrible shows that were renewed instead of TKAA.

Edited by AnnaRose
Clarity.
  • Love 7
On 8/6/2019 at 11:41 AM, HeySandyStrange said:

Under the article in the comments an anonymous author wrote that the show didn't get renewed because Tim didn't think he should have to grovel and sell the show to the suits to get renewed, so because he didn't feed their huge egos by begging they didn't reward him with renewing the show and found bogus excuses to cancel it.  Very sad how egotistical these people are.

I'm amazed that the article had 350 comments!  Shows you that a lot of people still care.  Again, very sad.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 6
On 8/7/2019 at 9:29 AM, AnnaRose said:

Yeah, their excuses for cancelling TKAA are a bunch of BS.  Honestly, I think it's incredibly suspicious that they renewed both of Elizabeth Meriwether's two horrible shows - Single Parents & Bless This Mess - which both had well-deserved poor reviews and bad ratings (which will only get worse this fall.)  It totally makes me wonder what Liz Meriwether has on the ABC execs. 😉  Something's not right there.

The Kids Are Alright just needed more exposure, because most people who actually watched an episode or two became fans.  That cannot be said for Liz Meriwether's horrible shows that were renewed instead of TKAA.

I don't know about Liz Meriwether, but I know JJ Philbin, daughter of Regis, is also attached to Single Parents in a co-creator/executive producer role. So maybe the got a renewal through name recognition.

14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Under the article in the comments an anonymous author wrote that the show didn't get renewed because Tim didn't think he should have to grovel and sell the show to the suits to get renewed, so because he didn't feed their huge egos by begging they didn't reward him with renewing the show and found bogus excuses to cancel it.  Very sad how egotistical these people are.

I'm amazed that the article had 350 comments!  Shows you that a lot of people still care.  Again, very sad.

I feel for Tim. He's been in the business along time and paid his dues, and the quality of his work should've accounted for way more then ass kissing. Even though it sadly looks like the show won't be picked up anytime soon elsewhere, hopefully Tim will be able to produce more quality content somewhere else, like Netflix. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, HeySandyStrange said:

I don't know about Liz Meriwether, but I know JJ Philbin, daughter of Regis, is also attached to Single Parents in a co-creator/executive producer role. So maybe the got a renewal through name recognition.

I feel for Tim. He's been in the business along time and paid his dues, and the quality of his work should've accounted for way more then ass kissing. Even though it sadly looks like the show won't be picked up anytime soon elsewhere, hopefully Tim will be able to produce more quality content somewhere else, like Netflix. 

I think Meriwether's Bless This Mess was even less deserving of a renewal over TKAA.  Its ratings were tanking hard during its abbreviated season.

I agree with you about Tim.... the quality of his work speaks for itself.

Probably a bunch of ageist bigotry by ABC also.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I think Meriwether's Bless This Mess was even less deserving of a renewal over TKAA.  Its ratings were tanking hard during its abbreviated season.

I could not agree more, especially with your last sentence.

• Love 1

It took awhile for Pop TV to announce its pickup of One Day at a Time.  I  keep hoping that there's still hope some streaming service or network will pick up TKAA.  The fact that TKAA is still being talked about in media circles makes me wonder why Karey Burke feels the need to defend her decision by scapegoating the audience.  

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

It took awhile for Pop TV to announce its pickup of One Day at a Time.  I  keep hoping that there's still hope some streaming service or network will pick up TKAA.  The fact that TKAA is still being talked about in media circles makes me wonder why Karey Burke feels the need to defend her decision by scapegoating the audience.  

I agree with you Phebemarie, and I've had a strong feeling that we have not seen the last of The Kids Are Alright.  It is way too awesome to just disappear.  Someone will be smart enough to snatch it up. {{fingers crossed}}

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 3
On 8/8/2019 at 7:38 PM, Phebemarie said:

I think she's being made to defend it by article writers that are responding to the continuing fan outrage, which instead of dying down seems to be getting worse judging from the comments under the articles discussing her lame defense of the cancellation, which were only written a few days ago.

In this article, she is quoted saying that it was cancelled because it didn't look like there was a strong enough fan base "at the time".  The qualifier "at the time" tells me that perhaps now it looks different to her after seeing all the fan reaction.

She said she was looking at multi-platform viewing and social media sentiment for evidence of that fan base, but if the show's audience skewed older, that could be one reason it wasn't as evident there.

The comments under that article are full of people pointing out the other shows on the network that were renewed with lower ratings, like "Bless this Mess", and call her justification "pure BS".

One can only hope that the fan reaction might help it get picked up by another network or streaming service.

• Love 2
On 8/11/2019 at 10:08 PM, Yeah No said:

One can only hope that the fan reaction might help it get picked up by another network or streaming service.

The cast and crew of the show is no longer under contract and ABC Studios who owns the show isn’t shopping it. Relaunching it at another place isn’t going to happen.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
On 8/8/2019 at 4:01 PM, AnnaRose said:

Exactly. I have taken to watching an awful lot of Netflix lately as network TV is a real disappointment. 

• Love 3

What a huge mistake to cancel this show!  I miss it.  Thankfully, I bought the first season.  Each episode is a little brilliant gem.  The actors were amazingly talented which is saying a lot since most were very young.  So sad and I'd love to know the reasoning behind the decision.

• Love 6

I really miss it; it was ABC’s best comedy in years. I imagine the cancellation was a combination of the new ABC management not being invested in it (lots of stories over the years of new management not supporting programming developed by the previous regime), borderline ratings, and budget. Period pieces are generally more expensive, and the large cast probably didn’t help.

• Love 3