Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Fraudlein

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I just turned 60 and I didn't even think they still made travelers' checks.  I doubt most people at 40 would even know much about them.  When I went overseas in 2004 I asked well traveled friends if travelers' checks were a good idea, and even back then most people told me they were passé and it was hard to find places that would take them.  Now I'm reading that they are not taken in most places anymore and are rarely used.  Especially now with "chip and PIN" technology on most US credit cards, they're not needed anymore because you'll have no trouble using your credit card, especially in Europe.  So I don't buy this bit with Liza AT ALL.  They continue to make her act like she's at least 20 years older and lives under a rock.

I'm 43, and I remember my mother having me take traveler's checks with me on long-distance school trips (within the U.S.). This would've been 25-35 years ago. I guess she was worried about me being mugged or losing the checks. I haven't used them in my adult life.

5 hours ago, MostlyC said:

The stage/scene where they had Diana’s Cabaret performance looked remarkably like the Slipper Room in the LES.

What's LES?

This traveler checks discussion is starting to make me feel like a dinosaur. I remember using them not 20 years ago (having no credit card) and nobody was treating me like an alien when I cashed them in. Admittedly I wouldn't use them nowadays and I have to wonder what thought process caused Liza to get them - they still exist but her 'jet-setty'-line made no sense. Those are probably the people least likely to carry them.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I'm 43, and I remember my mother having me take traveler's checks with me on long-distance school trips (within the U.S.). This would've been 25-35 years ago. I guess she was worried about me being mugged or losing the checks. I haven't used them in my adult life.

What's LES?

Lower East Side.

*sheepish grin* I will be the rare one in the room to say that *I* used traveler's checks when I studied abroad for the first time back in 2006. American Express was very handy at exchanging the notes for me and this was before chip and pin technology (the US was a decade behind on that from Europe).

I used them too around 2006 and they were a nuisance, because I have a really long name and I had to sign for each and every one of them when I picked them up - and when I returned the ones I didn't need.

When I was in basic training, in the US Army, in 1993 (so it's been a while!), they made us take our payroll every time and convert it into travelers checks.  In hindsight it was to try to limit theft, since they paid us in cash, officially, but I felt a bit weird when I was off base trying to use them (once I was at the point of being able to go off base).

My parents gave me a bunch to take to Europe in 2001 (right before 9/11) but I think that was the last time I even saw the things.  They are much more cumbersome than a credit card, for sure.

The subject of traveler's checks came up while talking with a friend this weekend.  She said she brought several with her in 2005 when she went overseas, but only used one or two and had to cash in the rest.  She tried to use them in several places in England and Ireland with no success.

On 8/24/2018 at 4:53 PM, 7-Zark-7 said:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Both she and Diana look greenish yellow at times. It’s very weird. I get transfixed by it. Sutton doesn’t come across that way, and Debi Mazar was originally a makeup artist, so she probably doesn’t let anyone else get near her face.

If DM really does her own makeup, it would explain why she always looks flawless while everyone else, not so much. They are definitely doing weird things to Kelsey's base, as well as piling on too much eye, cheek and lip at times. Diana and Liza are hit-and-miss, as they often look over made-up.

• Love 2

I found there's actually an "official" show podcast and listened to a bit of it about this episode - the show was shot in NY and they only sent some production to get the exterior shots. Also the writer (in his 40s I think?) talks about how its like working with the other 20s writers/millennials.

9 hours ago, Krissy said:

I found there's actually an "official" show podcast and listened to a bit of it about this episode - the show was shot in NY and they only sent some production to get the exterior shots. Also the writer (in his 40s I think?) talks about how its like working with the other 20s writers/millennials.

wait. a man writes this show? I realize there's probably a writing team, but in no way should a man be the lead writer for a show about women.  But then, I've always believed Darren Star was a misogynist, so that tracks.

• Love 2

I did NOT appreciate the dig about Buffalo, Diana Trout. Did you know the NY Times named us one of the 52 Places to Go in 2018?!

Should be interesting to see where the season finale takes us. I agree that the Martha Plimpton character is not to be trusted.

I also thought if the company is really in dire straits, Charles should sell his country house. Would be a bitter pill to swallow to lose your job while you know the owner has a mansion worth millions. But it is probably tied up in the divorce. 

Divorce settlement or not, if you have to start mixing personal and business finances to keep the business going, you're in dire straits. Why Charles isn't working harder to shore up the business is beyond me. (Well, it's not, but you know what I mean.)

• Love 5
13 hours ago, sashayshante said:

wait. a man writes this show? I realize there's probably a writing team, but in no way should a man be the lead writer for a show about women.  But then, I've always believed Darren Star was a misogynist, so that tracks.

Yeah so the guy who wrote this episode is Dan Roos, he wrote Single White Female! He's written two other Younger eps, Irish Goodbye and A Close Shave.

Younger should be spending less of their money on fancy locations and more of their money on better writers.

You know what doesn't make Sutton look younger? Dark eye makeup and a red lip. 

Normally, I'd love any reason for Miriam Shor to sing but that was a letdown. Weak choreo and poorly directed/shot. 

Well, that was easy. She's at Plaza now.

• Love 1

In other threads going back a ways I predicted two things from this episode.  The first is Liza coming to the conclusion that accepting a job offer at another company would "solve" all her problems.  Too bad the Martha Plimpton character is the wrong choice for that and can only cause even more problems.  I thought, "It's a TRAP, It's a TRAP!"  Liza is so desperate to get out of her tangled web that she's careening headlong into another potentially worse one.  Yikes.

Wasn't Aasif's character also in publishing? Why not work for him?

Kelsey thinks Zane is the type of guy to force himself on a woman while she's inebriated, yet she dated and still has feelings for him. Hello, writers? A little continuity, please? Also, can we not praise men for not being rapists?

100% We need to raise our standards if that's considered impressive.