Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: Angel & Jordan

Whimsy

A match on Tinder ignited a fire for Jordan that caused Angel to end a real-life relationship to pursue him. When Nev and his wife Laura get on the case they uncover dark truths that could lose Angel everyone close in her life.

Mrs. Nev also called it 100% WRONG.  Oh, I don't think she's involved at all.  Heh, heh, heh.

Why did the BFF (Cece) first say, oh I was talking to him, too?  And, the voice mail, was that just some random guy who left her a message?  Why didn't they grab that call's phone number?

I guess it would have ruined the dramatic reveal.  

BFF was so angry, like really wanting revenge.  I mean to do this for two years is pretty serious, she had to have wanted Angel to really pay for whatever wrongs BFF thought she'd done (real or imagined).  Then later on, oh they're working on their friendship?  I smell a rat.  Someone took the time to play me for two years, nope, I'm not trusting them again.   Did these two just concoct something to be on tv?

• Love 4

NO MORE LAURA!!! She was so wrong about everything.

I want to know where the father of Cece's 5 month old kid is, she was at least seeing him 14 months ago.

Brandon is a fool for taking Angel back, she's going to drop him again as soon as she connects with another guy with a six pack.

• Love 6

I missed the beginning so where was Max?  I knew Nev was trying to make his wife happen but IMO she’s not for this job.  Wrong about everything, saying not unusual For 18 yr old to sit on someone’s lap. Well no it’s not but when it’s the guy you know your friend likes, yeah that’s real unusual.  Please don’t bring her back, I’d rather they use random “stars” like before.  Bring Mrs Nev in on a phone call with their cute little daughter.  Stay out of Max’s job!

• Love 4

Oh good, a Mrs. Nev co-hosting stint. We know that this one will be @Tara Ariano's favorite episode to date. Did she refuse makeup or pull an all nighter? I understand not bothering with full makeup for this shitty show, but her eye bags looked rough in  those cutaway shots.

What does Catfish have against dark skinned black women? They're always cast as the unhinged scorned friend involved in some ultra petty, bitter revenge plot for a multiyear grudge. They always feature them cussing and fighting with the catfishee. It just feels super lazy and racist to exploit black women's emotion for comedy and then imply that darker skinned women are angry, aggressive, and undesirable. Between Cece complaining that guys ignored her in favor of Angel and Angel's apparent preference for mixed guys, it would've been a good episode to discussed internalized colorism. I know, too nuanced for this show.

Angel has the personality of plain oatmeal and the emotional depth of cardboard. Her boyfriend seemed sweet and personable, so I'm not sure where her detached player narrative is coming from. If anything, she's the cold fish in their relationship. She practically went rigid every time he pecked her on the mouth. And, for what it's worth, I thought he was hotter and looked much more age-appropriate than the dude she was catfished with (who is, hilariously, promoting the hell out of this episode on his Twitter, fueling my long-held belief that all these scenarios are staged and the producers comb through IG to find people to be the masks). 

• Love 8

How many times they gonna pull this stunt of the two friends being heavily focused on and then *gasp* it's the friend. Followed by a comical exaggerated blow-up where everyone looks ratchet. It's not getting you ratings anymore, guys. People can find that fad anywhere.

Mrs. Nev is actually preferable to most of their fill-in hosts. Is she wildly naive and only there for Nev to A. Save MTV money B. Throw Nev's happiness in everyone's faces and C. score brownie points? Yes. But at least she's less of a camera-trained monkey. Her facial expressions might've been the only new thing that happened in these 40 minutes. Props I guess?

• Love 3
On 7/22/2018 at 3:49 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

What does Catfish have against dark skinned black women? They're always cast as the unhinged scorned friend involved in some ultra petty, bitter revenge plot for a multiyear grudge. They always feature them cussing and fighting with the catfishee. It just feels super lazy and racist to exploit black women's emotion for comedy and then imply that darker skinned women are angry, aggressive, and undesirable. Between Cece complaining that guys ignored her in favor of Angel and Angel's apparent preference for mixed guys, it would've been a good episode to discussed internalized colorism. I know, too nuanced for this show.

Good point. 

What the show does is take the serious pain that many darker skinned black women feel and exploit it for entertainment. 

However, what's wrong with dating mixed guys? 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

However, what's wrong with dating mixed guys? 

Nothing at all! But when you specifically have a strong preference for only mixed guys as seemed to be implied with Angel, there might be some internalized prejudice going on re: dating preferences. But Angel's biggest hurdle is for sure her lack of personality lol.