Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: I Am Become Death

Murphy returns to camp claiming to have been held captive and tortured by the Grounders, and Clarke and Bellamy have very different opinions on how to handle his return. Octavia sneaks away to find Lincoln and returns with a serious warning for the 100. Meanwhile, a mysterious virus strikes camp forcing many to be quarantined, and Jasper pulls off a heroic move.

Promo: 

Is Clarke's mommy definitely dead?  It appears like no one could have survived and it was definitely the drop ship and not something from the broken parts of the Ark.  Still, terrible thing if they are removing the adult actors from the show.  They were sort of the saving grace.

Anyone else hoping that Jasper gave that apple a good washing before he ate it?  All I could think about in that tent scene was the fart gas cloud that should be really contaminating food supplies.  Probably water, too.  Of course, fart gas likes to keep clothing intact so maybe it has the same lust for food and water?

Glad we got a tiny bit of info about the grounders, even if it was already suspected.  Multiple factions.  The mountain is guarded by the super duper scary Mountain Men.  They must be really horrifying to scare Lincoln.  

Is Murphy done with his killing spree?  Can't say I really blame him for going after the guy who put a rope around his neck (seriously, did another PoC need to be offed?) but it makes me wonder how many of those 14 dead were his doing.  

Thus ends the extremely short life of one Diana Sydney. How Abby walked away from that crash with no injuries is ridiculous ? You just know she's not dead despite the incinerated skeletons at the crash site -- Abby was just out getting a mani-pedi before walking to the dropship camp.

How in the hell did Clarke et al: a) Get to that crash site so quickly and b) manage to avoid crossing any other grounder boundary lines -- that crash site was a long ways away, not one but two mountains away.

There would not have been any stray fuel leftover to leak out -- anything that survived the crash that close to the impact point would have burned in the fire afterwards.

So they are expecting a grounder attack, but Octavia spots the lily and decides it's grounder sexytime so she's leading the charge outside the wall. How did no one spot Lincoln putting that flower there ?

Where the hell did that female redshirt (Harper) find an apple in a pine forest ?

And the disease strikes nearly everyone within the same minute -- come on -- Murphy should have been affected WAY before anyone else. Apparently the grounders have vials of weaponized ebola just lying around. I also find it rather convenient that Clarke's eyes started bleeding, but then completely stopped. And Clarke never got any worse until she fainted. Yet everyone else is vomiting blood and the redshirt dies within minutes. I think we should name it the 'inconsistent virus'.

How was Raven making bullets ? They previously showed her checking dud rounds. But where did they get gunpowder, bullets and primer caps to make new bullets ?

Raven running ... in the dark ... with a bomb in her backpack, trips and falls yet manages to not blow herself up, or even break the jar. How ? Did anyone else notice that the jar wasn't even wrapped up in a cloth or anything to protect against breakage ?

And the bridge is the ONLY place to cross the river. Seriously, doubt it. If you looked at the river from the bridge in the previous episode, it was basically a babbling brook and the bridge was only about 20 ft off the riverbed. They made it sound like it was the only access point over a chasm 100 ft. deep that filled with torrential rapids.

Raven somehow expects to survive a bomb strong enough to destroy a bridge .... from about 10 feet away. Seriously, who writes this shit ?
And Jasper apparently can't count (remember the whole everyone gets 5 rounds nonsense because we're running out of bullets ?)

And that CGI explosion was just terrible. From the looks of it, the explosion started from WELL BELOW the bridge. And the mushroom cloud looked like a nuke had gone off. Followed of course by Clarke quoting Oppenheimer.

Did Lincoln say that he was going to go east to the sea, cross it and hook up with another clan ? Does he mean crossing Chesapeake Bay (which is approx. east of the Mt. Weather area) or crossing the Atlantic ?

Oh noes, the love triangle between Clarke/Finn/Raven is over -- Clarke wins !!!

• Love 1

Raven somehow expects to survive a bomb strong enough to destroy a bridge .... from about 10 feet away. Seriously, who writes this shit ?

Did she say anything about expecting to survive the bomb? I wasn't paying full attention, but I figured she was just planning to sacrifice herself for the good of the group. She was very obviously in the blast radius, at least to anyone with a functioning brain. I will say, however, that I was wondering if the show would get rid of Raven. Lindsey Morgan is still listed as "guest starring," even though she's appeared in a majority of the episodes. 

And not that I'm complaining about the end of the R/F/C triangle, but I found Raven's reason for calling it off kind of flimsy. She made it all about how Finn didn't hesitate in catching an infected Clarke from falling over, but Finn also didn't appear to hesitate (at least not to Raven's knowledge) in running out to the bridge and carrying Raven to safety. He put his life on the line for both of his bedmates. I would have been happier had Raven simply said, "Bye, bitch. I've been vomiting up blood for the last 4 hours and I've realized that life is too short to fight with Clarke over some boy with a 90s haircut." 

I'm still not buying that Abby, Diana, et al. are dead. Would the show really spend all that time and energy on characters they were going to kill off in the 9th episode? While it wouldn't make sense for them to have survived such a massive crash and subsequent explosion, this is the show that featured a virus that causes its victims to bleed from most of their orifices but that still didn't cause any real lasting ramifications (unless you died). 

And one last thing: Were the 14 graves for people who died from the virus, or folks who've died since the show began? 

This wasn't a good episode. I think Diana and Clarke's mom are still alive, their drop ship probably landed in a far off location. And the ship that crashed, was another rogue team that rushed into a ship, when they heard there weren't enough ships for everyone.

The grounders are pissing me off, do they expect the 100 to just roll over and die. Of course, they will defend themselves, against an impending slaughter. What's up with their queen acting all offended that one of theirs died on the bridge. Hello, you just killed 14 of the 100 with a virus.

So there are more grounder factions. They need to show the story of the grounders, before most viewers lose interest.

Anyone else hoping that Jasper gave that apple a good washing before he ate it?  

Normally that would be my reaction, but here it was: An apple? From what apple trees? But maybe this was a clever ploy on the part of the writers; anyone who watches beyond that point has donned Suspension Of Disbelief Goggles.

Murphy returns to camp claiming to have been held captive and tortured by the Grounders...

Assuming this is an official description, the word "claiming" confirms one of my interpretations of Murphy's last scene, with his creepy, post-murder grin: He is the CW version of Brody from Homeland (the Grounders used torture and likely dead children to "turn" him into a terrorist, working for them). My other interpretation is that Murphy is the CW version of a Criminal Minds serial killer--the girl he convinced to knife people was a protégée.

And exactly why did the guy Murphy murdered "put a noose around" Murphy's neck? I can't recall. Was it because he told the little girl to jump off a cliff?

Raven is too smart, resourceful, and beautiful to be stuck with any character we've met thus far--unless...oh, I get it, new triangle: Raven / Lincoln / Octavia. Make that a pregnant Octavia.

Were the 14 graves for people who died from the virus, or folks who've died since the show began?

Oh, I had assumed they were just from the virus, but, yeah, it's probably a total. So I was thinking about 5 more, and the next season would be called: The 80. Well, still time for that, right?

I just want to roll my eyes at the love triangle. Don't you have more important things to worry about than whether or not Finn loves Clarke more than you... I mean, just a second ago you were BLEEDING OUT OF YOUR EYES!

I hope Lincoln's not gone for good. I'm going to miss [his abs] him.

I'm about to talk about the previews for next week - so stop reading if you want to stay virginal...

So GrounderQueen says the little girl was on the bridge when they blew it up. But, um...I didn't see any children dressed for battle. Why would they be sending a little girl into war in the first place? I suppose (hope) it'll be explained in the next episode, but yeah - that bugged me.

(edited)
So GrounderQueen says the little girl was on the bridge when they blew it up. But, um...I didn't see any children dressed for battle. Why would they be sending a little girl into war in the first place? I suppose (hope) it'll be explained in the next episode, but yeah - that bugged me.

I'm pretty sure that in all the shots of grounders rampaging through the woods there were no children .... unless .... she was playing under the bridge in the babbling brook and was hurt by the cheap CGI explosion.  Seriously, blowing up the bridge would stop absolutely no one because of the relative ease that that stream could be crossed.  Are the grounders (and the writers) that stupid ?

Posted this over at TWOP, but here's one question.

So far 102 people have come down from the Ark, the 100 plus Bellamy plus Raven, and 15 have been killed (14 graves + the guy Murphy killed in the end), but we are not sure if that includes the couple that was killed out in the woods during the Acid Fart fog -- did they go retrieve their bodies and bury them too? If not it could be as high as 17 deaths (because I doubt they would make a fake grave for someone who had just gone missing).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

And exactly why did the guy Murphy murdered "put a noose around" Murphy's neck? I can't recall. Was it because he told the little girl to jump off a cliff?

Murphy was originally accused of murdering Wells, even though it was the little girl, Charlotte. I'm not sure why he was banished, though. Also, according to the Wiki, Connor (the guy Murphy murdered last night), was the guy Murphy urinated on. So, I guess Connor got his revenge by almost hanging Murphy and, well, Murphy got his revenge last night. 

• Love 2
The grounders are pissing me off, do they expect the 100 to just roll over and die. Of course, they will defend themselves, against an impending slaughter. What's up with their queen acting all offended that one of theirs died on the bridge. Hello, you just killed 14 of the 100 with a virus.

Thank you! The preview drove me crazy. The Grounders take no responsibility for their actions.

I actually felt that blowing the bridge up was a good idea. Of course the grounders can still cross the river/stream/puddle of water but the explosion from the bomb probably made them return to home base and regroup. This buys the 100 time to get healthy and regroup. I never thought that they believed that blowing up the bridge would permanently stop the grounders.

I was waiting for Octavia to show a little bit more outrage over the Grounders purposely infecting the camp with a potentially deadly virus. Like all viruses, while it may pass in a couple of days for some  people, for others it can be fatal. 

• Love 2

Murphy was originally accused of murdering Wells, even though it was the little girl, Charlotte. I'm not sure why he was banished, though. Also, according to the Wiki, Connor (the guy Murphy murdered last night), was the guy Murphy urinated on. So, I guess Connor got his revenge by almost hanging Murphy and, well, Murphy got his revenge last night.

So why did Murphy urinate on Connor? Sorry, I realize this isn't a grand jury investigation, but I'm trying to get the character motivations straight--even if the writers have totally moved on.

Yeah, blowing up the bridge was merely meant to slow the Grounders down, not stop them.  It made sense in a way because removing a pass would slow people down.  But it also didn't make much sense because the bridge didn't seem very high, this wasn't the same raging river we saw earlier but merely a nearly dried up creekbed, and the grounders were only coming from across the small stream that one time.  Every other time, the Grounders were on the same side they were on.  Even Jasper's spear through the chest came from the side of the river the Arkkites were already on.  So it becomes this weird continuity error unless they are planning to introduce more grounder groups.

Connor was thirsty, Murphy gave him water from his penis.  Murphy was just a huge dick who was great at inciting people into violence and shit. 

I hope they do more with Anya than just make her refuse to take responsibility for her actions.  Maybe her whole "you burned this child I was bringing into a warzone so you fix her" speech is a prelude to this grounder group allying with the Ark group against the fearsome Mountain Men.

• Love 1
I hope they do more with Anya than just make her refuse to take responsibility for her actions.  Maybe her whole "you burned this child I was bringing into a warzone so you fix her" speech is a prelude to this grounder group allying with the Ark group against the fearsome Mountain Men.

I wonder if the Mountain Men are from Mt. Weather.

• Love 1

I hope Clarke calls Anya on her guilt tripping ways. If that kid was hurt during the explosion then she was on or near the bridge coming to kill the 100, so what if she's young so are plenty of Clarke's people.

I already have my doubts about the rockets torching the Grounder village I wont be surprised if whatever is wrong with her has nothing to do with the bomb and by giving Clarke false information the kid gets worse.

The stuff on the Ark is usually what I'm most interested in but I was caught up in the ground story and didn't miss it this week. Not splitting the focus added to the to the episode, hopefully it's not something that happens too often though. I was torn between wanting Murphy to be redeemed and hoping he wasn't, they are criminals after all some of them are bound to be too far gone. It's not as if Murphy doesn't have his reasons for wanting revenge either because even I'm not sure of the exact reason for his exile. The Charlotte situation was badly handled all round.

Bellamy has become such a puppy around Clarke that I'm just going to ship them the show's intended couples do nothing for me anyway.  

Shapeshifter:  He pissed on Connor because Connor was working on the wall, got thirsty and asked for water.  In other words because Murphy's an asshole.

I'm thinking that maybe the Mountain Men are descendants of whoever was manning Mount Weather?  So the supplies are probably long gone.  Not that they're all that necessary now because the 85 seem to be doing okay foodwise.

I'm still clueless how they are doing so well with food.  It wouldn't be any difficulty to show how they are managing to find food.  Have a love triangle scene take place next to a two-headed deer being field dressed and we'll automatically know someone has been hunting.  Have Bellamy ask where his sister is and someone answer that she is in the apple orchard which would also serve to show a crazy post-nuclear pine-apple tree that might be more awesome than the two-headed deer.  World building and food gathering all in one!  When Clarke starts bleeding from her eyeballs, the outside scene could show characters coming through the gates carrying water buckets and/or someone shouting for a group to go to the river to get more water.  I just can't believe they are ignoring opportunities to show how The 85 are actually surviving when these things can just be part of the set.  Swap out half the gun props for animal carcass props and they would be halfway there.  

• Love 1

Well, I'm assuming Octavia is pregnant with a little Grounder baby, otherwise I don't really see the point of fast-tracking her relationship with Lincoln and then shipping him off to another tribe.  I really hope he comes back.  I thought that his character could be a good way for The 100 to start learning about surviving life on the ground.  Plus, he was really pretty. 

Bellamy seems to have some sort of feelings for Clarke and it appears as if he will be taking Raven's place in the love triangle with Finn.  I'm thinking that Bellamy/Clarke will be happening by the end of this season.  You know, considering the relatively sheltered life that they have led, all of these kids seem way too experienced when it comes to romance.  It would be nice and sort of unexpected if Bellamy was actually really awkward in that department and didn't even really know what to do or how to approach anything romantic with Clarke.  I'm not expecting that, though, since Octavia seemed like a pro in her sexy times with the Grounder. 

• Love 1
It would be nice and sort of unexpected if Bellamy was actually really awkward in that department and didn't even really know what to do or how to approach anything romantic with Clarke.  I'm not expecting that, though, since Octavia seemed like a pro in her sexy times with the Grounder.

That's the weird thing with Octavia -- I doubt she had any sexy times experience before landing on Earth.  She lived in her mother's apartment for most of her life, and the one time she goes outside that apartment she gets busted and goes straight to jail (imprisoned either by herself or with other teenage women).

She should be socially awkward (they showed a little of this in the flashback when she was mingling with others at the masquerade dance, since the only people she had EVER spoken to/interacted with were her mother and brother) and sexually inexperienced (but with Lincoln she behaves like it's no big deal since she's seen a million dicks before, including radiation-mutated dicks -- does Lincoln have two dicks like that deer had two heads ?).

• Love 1

They would have been better served to use Charlotte as an example of the strict family planning on the Ark.  Charlotte was believably awkward and also highly impressionable.  It was a good bit of world building and an interesting story about a kid who lived in isolation and was punished because she was born.  But they really ruined it when they decided that Octavia was going to be the social butterfly with the only evidence she ever lived in the floors being a poor sense of direction on the Ark.  There is nothing unusual about Octavia - save for thinking a man who chains her up is awesome and true love bullshit - to make me believe she lived a life squirreled away.  Even the chaining thing isn't all that unusual with this bunch since Finn is all "dude stabbed me but he was saving us and we should totally trust him".  

They would have been better served to use Charlotte as an example of the strict family planning on the Ark.  Charlotte was believably awkward and also highly impressionable.  It was a good bit of world building and an interesting story about a kid who lived in isolation and was punished because she was born.  But they really ruined it when they decided that Octavia was going to be the social butterfly with the only evidence she ever lived in the floors being a poor sense of direction on the Ark.  There is nothing unusual about Octavia - save for thinking a man who chains her up is awesome and true love bullshit - to make me believe she lived a life squirreled away.  Even the chaining thing isn't all that unusual with this bunch since Finn is all "dude stabbed me but he was saving us and we should totally trust him".  

Charlotte was the age Octavia was in the book. She was basically the book version of Octavia until she decided to murder Wells. I was so annoyed with how that whole plot point played out because it amounted to pretty much nothing. They killed Wells off but left us bland Finn and Jasper, Clarke cared about her friend's murder for about half a second before she started protecting his killer, and then Charlotte's suicide was a cheap cop out.

That's the weird thing with Octavia -- I doubt she had any sexy times experience before landing on Earth.  She lived in her mother's apartment for most of her life, and the one time she goes outside that apartment she gets busted and goes straight to jail (imprisoned either by herself or with other teenage women).

I don't know...maybe there was some really weird Flowers in the Attic type stuff going on in that family's apartment?  Seriously, though, I would have expected Octavia to have a really unhealthy attachment to her brother based on how she has grown up, but Bellamy always seems to be the one chasing after her.  I guess she just wants to be free like the radioactive glowing butterflies.

From what I have seen, it seems like maybe Bellamy is a little freaked out by women.  He's a good looking guy, but while everyone else is pairing up and getting busy, I don't recall him even really talking to any girls besides Clarke and his sister.  When he was teaching Clarke to shoot and was touching her shoulder, he immediately pulled away and seemed a little embarrassed.  That sort of behavior makes sense to me since he probably wasn't having much contact with non-related women on the Ark.  He probably didn't have time for that while looking after Octavia, and I doubt that he would even risk having friends (let alone a girlfriend) for fear that they might discover he was hiding a human being under his floorboards.

Bellamy did have the sexy times with two girls that once.  Not sure there was much talking involved or even how he managed to get them into his bed.

Ah, OK.  I don't even remember that happening!  I guess that these people just really got around on the Ark.

I really hope that The 100 are planning a bonfire of the location where all of the sick and bleeding people were being housed.  It's not like they can use bleach to clean any of that mess up.  I also hope that nearly all blood-borne diseases were eradicated in the Ark population, what with all of the blood spewing going on.  Beyond gross.  Next we will have an outbreak of Hep C or HIV. 

Bellamy had sex with 3 girls. One of them was in episode two where we saw her walking out the morning after. And then there were the girls from the threesome.

(edited)

I really hope that The 100 are planning a bonfire of the location where all of the sick and bleeding people were being housed.  It's not like they can use bleach to clean any of that mess up.  I also hope that nearly all blood-borne diseases were eradicated in the Ark population, what with all of the blood spewing going on.  Beyond gross.  Next we will have an outbreak of Hep C or HIV.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it will be magically clean next time we see it, just like Clarke's, Finn's, and Octavia's hair.

Edited by Stinger97
Included carriage return after quote

There's a simple explanation for the teen's seemingly advanced social skills. Their educational system includes a lot of virtual reality. They've all been playing The Sims: Total Immersion since the 5th grade.

• Love 2

There's a simple explanation for the teen's seemingly advanced social skills. Their educational system includes a lot of virtual reality. They've all been playing The Sims: Total Immersion since the 5th grade.

It might not have been named that, but that's probably true--and with Octavia hiding out, she probably spent even more time "immersed" than the average Ark kid. And their sex ed classes probably included a lot of pre-recorded stuff too. So, thanks dr pepper, problem solved,
(edited)

LOL, The Sims: Total Immersion! I'm right there with you guys, I can't fathom how Octavia isn't socially backward. It makes very little sense. Show could at least have started with her behaving that way, then shown her growing and gaining in social confidence through half a dozen episodes. I also would half expect her to be agorophobic, and afraid of wide open spaces. But when they showed her at the Masked Ball (how conveeeenient the Ark would host such an event), I knew they were treating her like a fairy tale princess, not a real human girl.

Edited by Andromeda