Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: OMG 2018.06.26

Jane crosses paths with Pinstripe, who inspires her to try a new style of writing. Meanwhile, she learns something new about Ben. Adena reluctantly brings Kat out to meet her friends, and Kat quickly immerses herself in the New York lesbian scene. Sutton fights for an in with a well-connected influencer named Brooke.

Good to see Pinstripe and still think he’s charming, but I’m happy with Ben. I also liked that there was a reason for Jane to be resistant to religion. I just thought she was being rude and judgmental, but I teared up when she was talking about her mom.

Poor Sutton- this girl is clearly using her to pay for her booze and drugs, and this is not going to end well.

I still think that Kat is annoying, especially after telling Adena that she’s not usually the jealous type and then asking how many people she slept with. I want them to focus on her job more instead of the stupid jealous girlfriend subplot. It is a big deal that Kat is the head of her division after four years, and we barely see her doing anything other than make sad eyes at Adena.

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, GaT said:

Is Kat & Adena's relationship going to be a major plot in every episode? I'm tired of it.

So am I. Kat is extremely tiresome and I'm surprised Adena tolerates it. I'm not convinced Scarlet needs an entire social media department since Kat has so much time to make personal calls and chit-chat with Sutton at work.

Expensing cocaine can't be a good career move for Sutton. Her new friend the "influencer" is using her to pay for stuff.

I missed Jacqueline.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 1

Poor Sutton is trying to hard, and getting in way over her head. Never take life choice tips from Shoshana! She get crack accidentally one time! I really do like Suttons stories a lot the last few episodes. I love how much she is focusing on her career, and how the show never judges her for her active sex life and flirty, fun loving personality. Sutton was kind of my leave favorite girl last season, but I like her a lot this season.

So most of the first part of the episode is "Jane is a bit of an asshole" for most of it, with her learning a lesson and gaining some self awareness. When Jane was doing her kitchen "but he is a religious person icky!" thing, I was like "You know your saying that to Kat, right? Who`s dating proudly religious Adena right?", and then Kat said the same thing. Not gonna lie, Jane was pretty insufferable this episode until the ending, which was a nice way to give some insight into her issues. It also really does sound like an interest article. Everyone has their own prejudices after all, even people who consider themselves to be super liberal and open minded. Especially when she was saying that being Jewish in New York was a "lifestyle choice" and not a religion. Also, I've only been to New York twice, but is being Christian really such a big deal, in such a huge diverse city? Has Jane really never met one before? I guess dating someone is a bigger deal, but it seemed like her reaction was the kind of stuff you see in a Pure Flix film, not real life. I am glad she gave the good doctor another shot, he seems like a really good guy, and is very easy on the eyes. 

Kat and Adena have such drama! Can they just have an episode where they hang out and do couple stuff, instead fighting or being jealous or anything like that. I do kind of like that they noted that they started with Adena basically cheating on her last girlfriend, which is a pretty sketchy way to start a relationship. And some of their issues are understandable and beyond their control (mostly Adenas visa issues, which are heartbreaking and real), but it just seems like its always drama. I like them as a couple, just let them be a couple!

• Love 5
12 hours ago, twoods said:

Poor Sutton- this girl is clearly using her to pay for her booze and drugs, and this is not going to end well.

I don't see how she won't get fired. Not only is cocaine illegal, she's using a company credit card to pay for it! Oliver could get canned to for approving the expense. The liability is really bad here.

I really like how the show is delving into how the women are at different stages in their professional lives, and how it can't help but affect their friendship. And full marks for making Sutton not jealous of Kat per se but of her seemingly effortless rise to department head while Sutton slaves away in the fashion closet.

10 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Also, I've only been to New York twice, but is being Christian really such a big deal, in such a huge diverse city?

It wasn't that Ben was Christian (or any faith) that was the problem, it was that he was so open about praying, not to mention Jane's earlier experiences with medicine and faith. Add me to the group who was glad the show expanded on this with both Ben and Jane. (Also, this isn't a New York issue at all, IMO.)

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It wasn't that Ben was Christian (or any faith) that was the problem, it was that he was so open about praying, not to mention Jane's earlier experiences with medicine and faith. Add me to the group who was glad the show expanded on this with both Ben and Jane. (Also, this isn't a New York issue at all, IMO.)

Ah, I think that makes more sense. Him being a doctor and religious is probably what was actually upsetting her, that makes sense with her mom and all that. Have we met anymore of Jane's family? I wonder if we will, we`ve seen Kats parents a few times now. Or Sutton's? 

I knew that Jane's issues with Ben being a religious person had something to do with her mom. So I didn't find her annoying.  I liked Kat and Adena storyline and that they brought Coco in it. Too bad Adena got away with this just by talking about her mom. I still don't see the connection between what she said and what Kat was asking earlier, not the 'how many people have you slept with' but her concerns about the way Adena moves from a relationship to another. I wasn't into Sutton's storyline but the end got me worried for her. She's the only one who is working very hard for the magazine and yet she has to face things like this that can get her lose her job. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Kat and Adena have such drama! Can they just have an episode where they hang out and do couple stuff, instead fighting or being jealous or anything like that. I do kind of like that they noted that they started with Adena basically cheating on her last girlfriend, which is a pretty sketchy way to start a relationship. And some of their issues are understandable and beyond their control (mostly Adenas visa issues, which are heartbreaking and real), but it just seems like its always drama. I like them as a couple, just let them be a couple!

I don't know if you've seen many lesbian or lady/lady couple storylines, but this is basically it lol. The gay/bi character hardly ever gets a story that isn't about their relationship. Someone's always denying they're gay, acting shady, cheating, crying etc. on and on but they always stay together to please the fanbase and because there are only ever two queer main characters in any universe ever apparently? I actually can't think of a show where a gay character didn't wind back up with the first person they dated, unless it's an all gay cast.

I did relate to Kat, however annoying and meddling she was being as always. Lots of queer women casually date or have sex with many people in their friend groups (from personal experience) to the point where dating the ex of an ex is not only an inside lesbian joke, but essentially inevitable due to 1) smallness of community and 2) the weird fact that everyone just says friends or runs in the same circles with everyone they've ever dated or had sex with. It's very intimidating as a newly out person or someone without much experience, because there's a little fear that they'll dump the high maintenance baby gay who wants a relationship to go back to easy, casual sex with friends. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Also, I've only been to New York twice, but is being Christian really such a big deal, in such a huge diverse city? Has Jane really never met one before?

I’m in Chicago - for me / those I know, it would more be about the reconciliation between believing in the science of medicine (I.e. this person lives or died because of this heart valve) and then also believing so strongly in a religion that you pray before a meal/believe God is somehow also powerful. I think the Dr actually explained well that his religious views are more about faith (in humanity, in love, healing, friendship) and meditation than about a powerful and judgmental god.

I have a cousin who is a literal rocket scientist and also believes in God’s will above all else and supports the “rightest” policies possible. He has never been able to make me understand! 

FYI I have no religious views or oppositions - a non-scientist being of any religious variety/supporting any beliefs makes sense to me.

Edited by julia1130
  • Love 3

There's also the idea that God has given you these gifts that you use to heal people. It doesn't sound to me like Ben is all that concerned with dogma; his faith seems more of the "there's a higher power that gives me comfort when I need it" variety.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It doesn't sound to me like Ben is all that concerned with dogma; his faith seems more of the "there's a higher power that gives me comfort when I need it" variety.

This was the feeling I got too. But then it made less sense to me that he had a cross tattoo when that indicates a specific religion.  His words didn't seem to express a specifically Christian type of faith, and his prayer before eating was a general "thanks for the food, god" type thing but the cross indicates that there is a bit more actual dogma there.  As a non-religious person who doesn't believe in god, I wouldn't have a problem dating someone who expressed the idea of feeling comfort from a higher power, but the cross tattoo would turn me off. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

A cross is a basic sign of Christianity. It's like the Star of David for Judaism or Crescent Star for Islam. It's a general signifier, that's all.

No, it's not a general signifier, it's a signifier of a specific religious belief system. Not a general indicator of belief in god.  I'd have the same reaction to a Jewish star (I was raised Jewish) or the Crescent Star. To me, a permanent marking like a tattoo would signify a strong feeling of adherence to that religion.  YMMV.  I just think that if the writers intended for his belief system to be more about general faith in God than Christianity, they shouldn't have used a Christian signifier.

• Love 1

I'm so worried for Sutton! As a viewer, it was really clear to me that the "influencer" is taking her for a ride - the way she peaced out when Sutton was uncomfortable with the check, the way she dangled the invite to the high profile party, the way she insisted that this is totally normal and she does it all the time (yeah right). But I can also see why Sutton is being pushed along - I would be frustrated too if I was hustling and hustling and felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. Networking is so hard, I can see why it might be even harder with these fashionista types. Maybe Oliver will catch it and make her pay it off in installments out of her paycheck or something rather than reporting it up the chain. Sutton's finances won't be getting better any time soon, but at least she could keep her job.

I think if Jane was uncomfortable with Dr Ben's religiousness because she wasn't sure what he believed or how that might affect her, I'd understand it. Would he expect her to convert or start going to services with him if they became serious? Are there things that she considers normal or important parts of her life that would be deal-breaker sins for him? It's a lot to navigate. But she went right into 'ugh, how can you believe in the magic man in the sky' territory, which is pretty obnoxious IMO and he took it a lot better than I thought he might. I was glad she had a personal story that she was working through rather than just being dismissive on principle, but when you pair that with her looking down her nose at Pinstripe's job, this episode was really highlighting Jane's judgmental streak. I wonder if this is going to be a season long arc for her. I also wonder if the show is going to get into navigating the actual issues of a non-religious person dating a very religious person, or if it's going to be sidelined after this ep. 

I think Kat was a little OTT with her suspicions and jealousy about Adena, but I also don't really think Adena's explanation about why she was being evasive about her past relationships really held up for me. I understand why the travel ban and being apart from her mother makes her feel vulnerable or nervous, but I don't understand why that means she was so cagey about Kat meeting her friends.  I also thought that a lot of Kat's jealousy might have been dealt with better if Adena had actually introduced Kat around and not just gone off to a table of other people while Kat stood around awkwardly. But maybe Adena's used to Kat being really outgoing and able to fend for herself at a party. 

• Love 2
On June 27, 2018 at 2:32 PM, dubbel zout said:

It wasn't that Ben was Christian (or any faith) that was the problem, it was that he was so open about praying

Just personal experience, but I've known a few people who prayed in restaurants before meals, and to a one, they were all super-Christian, born-again, "I'll convert anyone I can!" types. So I just personally have a hard time believing that Ben is primarily a science-based person who seeks some faith and meaning alongside that, but that seems to be the way the show wants to go. I do like Ben overall but I hope we see Pinstripe again because damn Dan Jeannotte is hot.

• Love 1
On 6/27/2018 at 3:16 PM, tennisgurl said:

I really do like Suttons stories a lot the last few episodes. I love how much she is focusing on her career, and how the show never judges her for her active sex life and flirty, fun loving personality. Sutton was kind of my leave favorite girl last season, but I like her a lot this season.

She's gone from my least favorite of the girls to my favorite -- the Richard story was dragging her down more than I'd realized! I love that the show is focusing on her career now and on how tricky it can be when friendship and romance get twisted up in it (having to reject Richard so she can stand on her own, taking a chance on hiring Adena, weighing the benefits vs. risks of her new "friendships"). I hope she doesn't lose her job over this cocaine thing.

I liked that, while Jane was definitely being judgmental, nobody was right or wrong in that religion storyline. That is a very tricky subject to negotiate, and the writers did a great job here.

I didn't mind the Kat/Adena storyline, although I think I'm gonna need to start seeing Adena screw up more often. She has her moments, like not understanding Kat's insecurity, or initially steamrolling Sutton at the photoshoot, but most of the time she comes across as super tolerant and mature, always knowing the exact right thing to say to calm poor overemotional Kat or teach her a life lesson. It feels unbalanced. I'd also like more stories that don't revolve around their relationship -- that photoshoot one last week was a great start.

• Love 2
On 6/27/2018 at 12:30 AM, GaT said:

Is Kat & Adena's relationship going to be a major plot in every episode? I'm tired of it.

I am only reading recaps to catch up since I forgot this show was coming back and I am tired of it too!!  I wish they had waited at least two seasons before putting any of them in any serious relationships.  Kat strikes me as the insecure type that is always looking to show that she can handle something or excel and goes way overboard.  By the way did she identify as lesbian or bi sexual?  Is there a chance she might end up having a boyfriend? 

12 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I am only reading recaps to catch up since I forgot this show was coming back and I am tired of it too!!  I wish they had waited at least two seasons before putting any of them in any serious relationships.  Kat strikes me as the insecure type that is always looking to show that she can handle something or excel and goes way overboard.  By the way did she identify as lesbian or bi sexual?  Is there a chance she might end up having a boyfriend? 

She started out straight, so a boyfriend is always possible.