Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: There in the Disappearing Light 2018.07.11

Klaus helps Hope cope with her pain in an unconventional way. A figure from Elijah’s past comes back seeking help. Elsewhere, Marcel takes on the nightwalkers, while Vincent deals with the fallout of a fateful decision.

Directed by Daniel Gillies.

Promo:

(edited)

Even though Klaus is trying to be a good dad in his own way, he is still annoying me. Why should he expect Marcel go round up some vampires to clean up the MASSIVE amount of bodies? A responsible parent would teach their kid to clean up any mess they made regardless of the situation. If you use a plate, you wash it. If you wear those clothes, you wash them, iron them, and put them in your closet. If you kill a bunch of Nazis, you have to get rid of the bodies. That's just personal responsibility and not being a dick. But it's not surprise that Klaus thinks everyone in the world is his minion/staff/cleanup crew because he's too good to handle menial tasks like that. Heh, it was so much easier on Buffy when a dead vamp just turned into dust.

Why did none of the witches ever think to do what Vincent suggested before now? You'd think if you're a witch and you know that eventually your fate will be to languish in the well, you'd want to do something about it before you die. Although since Ivy didn't know about it, is the well not common knowledge? Bonus to setting all the dead withes free: maybe now the ancestors won't stick their noses in and be all judgey when the witches ask them to do something.

I couldn't figure out why Marcel would be stupid enough to go into that building by himself without ANY backup whatsoever. He is smarter than that. But of course it was all a set up so that Josh would DIE which made me so mad. Not Josh! He was the best of them all. But it was almost worth it to have him die so that he could be reunited with Aiden. I'm glad they were able to get the actor to come back for that scene because if anyone deserves a happy afterlife, it's Josh. Somebody better call Davina and tell her that her BFF died or I am going to have to cut a bitch.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Somebody better call Davina and tell her that her BFF died or I am going to have to cut a bitch.

Well,

Spoiler

it looks like she and Kol are back next episode, so you may very well get your wish.

I loved Klaus and Hope's scenes last season, so if the episodes want to give me nothing but scenes of those two together, I'll be happy. Add in big brother Marcel and I'm over the top. 

The fact that Klaus keeps attributing all of Hope's good bits on Hayley (even if Hayley herself was could go on a revenge murder spree if the mood hit) makes me even more sad that this show decided to give us random romantic plot points instead of focusing more on Klaus and Hayley learning to co-parent. I say this in every episode thread, but I just love their journey from "I don't care if she dies"/ "He's an unrepentent psycho" to "I'll never let anyone take Hope from you"/"Your parents are wrong about you" to "Only I have Hope's best interest at heart"x2 to "I wouldn't trust anyone else with her"/"I know you've always fought for us" etc. The CW's insistence on romance is what keeps most of it's shows on the sup-par level they forever languish. All their more family oriented shows (JTV, Black Lightening, etc) are leagues above the others. And also get critical acclaim, you'd think they'd learn to mix it up. 

Didn't expect Josh to die, but yay JAIDEN! 

Poor Ivy saw what she was in store for. Love that, not only did Vincent not kowtow to Elijah, but he made sure that Ivy got the beautiful afterlife she saw for herself.

Still like Elijah and Antoinette. I can't help it. But...wether or not she agreed with her "mother's" ideology, she was still more or less complicit.

Kind of wanted Hope to kill Roman. He's too old to be as stupid as he is.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Gwen-Stacys said:

even if Hayley herself was could go on a revenge murder spree if the mood hit

It's really incredible how the show acts like Hayley manipulating a dozen of her friends into breaking their sirebonds just so that she could hand them over to Klaus to be massacred is a thing that never happened. 

• Love 2

Haha, I knew that Red Shirt guy was there for a reason! 

Loved, loved, loved the Josh/Aiden reunion (and Josh visiting Marcel hanging out with his body). It felt very reminiscent of the Six Feet Under finale, which has always been a massive heart-tugger for me. 

But the fact that this awesome view of the afterlife was combined with Ivy seeing her father and having the afterlife she envisioned - I wonder if the show is prepping us for a finale in which "they all died, but it's really OK!" (Which is another 6FU take - that finale is called "Everyone's Waiting.")

So supernatural creatures get heaven now? That changed on TVD, right?

And, Hope can be a werewolf-witch, but not a vampire-witch, correct? I'm fuzzy on this backstory, but basically because wolves are natural and vamps were the result of Esther's spell?

We've seen depictions of the ancestors' world sucking with Davina and Kol, so yeah - why did no one know about it? Just to keep the power? Are the witches significantly diminished now? So how did Vincent know? It was like he had day tripped there often, lol. So many questions!

I was rooting for Hope to torture vampire kid - she and I both remember the multiple scenes in which she and Hope begged him to let them go. He is old enough (especially, given vamp age!) to realize what he was doing was wrong - even if just because he liked Hope. Maybe he's on the new show?

2 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

I was rooting for Hope to torture vampire kid - she and I both remember the multiple scenes in which she and Hope begged him to let them go. He is old enough (especially, given vamp age!) to realize what he was doing was wrong - even if just because he liked Hope. Maybe he's on the new show?

Yes, it really bothers me that people keep treating this centuries-old vampire like a teenage boy. He is old enough to be Caroline Forbes's grand-father. The fact that he was even in the school in the first place is ridiculous. 

• Love 7
On 7/12/2018 at 5:17 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Why did none of the witches ever think to do what Vincent suggested before now? You'd think if you're a witch and you know that eventually your fate will be to languish in the well, you'd want to do something about it before you die. Although since Ivy didn't know about it, is the well not common knowledge? Bonus to setting all the dead withes free: maybe now the ancestors won't stick their noses in and be all judgey when the witches ask them to do something.

I had thought Vincent had obliterated the Ancestors like a season or two ago already, so I was pretty confused by it. He destroyed the New Orleans graveyard as I recall. At least this explained why the Ancestors are such pricks, I would be too if I was condemned to suffer for all eternity just to function as a battery.

I couldn't figure out why Marcel would be stupid enough to go into that building by himself without ANY backup whatsoever. He is smarter than that.

Apparently Marcel is unaware that he's heavily subject to arbitrary plot weakness syndrome, since he should have been perfectly capable of killing everybody in that building effortlessly in like 5 seconds, including the witch. On a side note, Josh killing that witch... I was like "YES!!!" because I am so tired of the cast just standing around while witches and humans do whatever to them, that's precisely what should have happened to every human and witch that faced up against the cast.

Hope going werewolf... didn't they seal away her werewolf side a few episodes ago? The one where Haley died? I'm extremely confused by the continuity of these shows now.

12 hours ago, immortalfrieza said:

I had thought Vincent had obliterated the Ancestors like a season or two ago already, so I was pretty confused by it. He destroyed the New Orleans graveyard as I recall. At least this explained why the Ancestors are such pricks, I would be too if I was condemned to suffer for all eternity just to function as a battery.

Apparently Marcel is unaware that he's heavily subject to arbitrary plot weakness syndrome, since he should have been perfectly capable of killing everybody in that building effortlessly in like 5 seconds, including the witch. On a side note, Josh killing that witch... I was like "YES!!!" because I am so tired of the cast just standing around while witches and humans do whatever to them, that's precisely what should have happened to every human and witch that faced up against the cast.

Hope going werewolf... didn't they seal away her werewolf side a few episodes ago? The one where Haley died? I'm extremely confused by the continuity of these shows now.

No they bound Haley (which is why she couldn't save herself by wolfing out) and were getting ready to start on Hope when Klaus and Caroline showed up.  

Haley partly agreed to do it as a trick because it somehow also broke Hope's cloaking spell on her allowing Freya to find her and send Klaus.

The show is weird when you talk about it out loud. 

• Love 2

So none of the witches ever discussed freeing their ancestors? The link to them was severed a while back so the living witches weren't drawing from their power.  Or at least that's what I remember.  I guess no one has minded the idea of them stuck in that little afterlife before now.  

Hope saying that she feels numb was the only moment in which I've found her likeable.  That's an appropriate response to something they've done.

Declan has just a couple of episodes left to prove his usefulness.  I'm still rolling my eyes over that "heart as big as Ireland" line from a while back.

When is Marcel going to do something interesting and powerful?

I'll miss Josh.  Wouldn't have minded some more facial expressions when he saw Aiden (Aiden!) but that was a sweet moment.

• Love 1

The episode, and the show would be far more interesting if they had let Hope kill Diamond Guy. When she was supposed to be torturing him, her anger and rage was supposed to be this uncontrollable force but everything was so... muted? Like she was kicking away chairs and I was thinking - but he's a vampire though. Don't just kick the chairs at the wall, kick the chair at him. Don't just kick it - lift it up and fling it. You're supposed to be this strong, powerful witch-vampire hybrid. She should have been throwing knives at him with her mind. It's not like if they will kill him.

It's just like with Hayley, this insistence on ... sanitizing this uber-powerful women because, I suppose, they're "good" women? On this show and TVD before it, a woman can either be powerful or good, but never both. 

• Love 3

Waiting to see what freeing the ancestors at the same time Hope unleashed The Hollow's power means, probably something particularly horrific then again the show's ending it might be a ridiculous cure all.

Watching Josh taking out the witch and fighting was incredible - he's been comic relief and the good loyal friend and while he's been strong and more than willing to die for his friends, we haven't seen Josh really holding his own in a fight before now... so naturally he's killed. I've always loved Josh's character and how he was the only one who remained unchanged by vampirism and his reunion with Aiden was perfect even if it makes no sense seeing as the 'other side' is gone and replaced with the abyss.

The whole Ancestoral drama confuses me - are they so powerful and corrupt that the connection needs to be broken so the living are free from their influence or are they tortured in limbo and deserve to be freed? Have to say I understand Celeste's desire for peace after everything we've seen.

Klaus' unique and rather questionable parenting is so right for the situation it's impressive, though I can't see him excelling when Hope's grief over killing the human and especially not the nazi vampires - hopefully he learned something from his roadtrip with Hayley in s3. Hope's finally a full fledged tribred - something I was afraid we'd never see after being taunted the entire series. I'm relieved it wasn't Declan for Hope's sake but I'm so unbelievably done with the O'Connell connections, not only is it repetitive but it makes no sense Sean and Kieran have been dead 15 years and Cami 13 there's never been any reason to believe other family including their parents were alive. Plus even if Declan actually met and remembered them as a kid  Josh turned at 18, Hayley in her early 20s how does Josh having known Cami 13 years ago make the slightest bit of sense to a human?

On 7/12/2018 at 10:33 PM, ursula said:

Yes, it really bothers me that people keep treating this centuries-old vampire like a teenage boy. He is old enough to be Caroline Forbes's grand-father. The fact that he was even in the school in the first place is ridiculous. 

EXACTLY! I realize the shows have always blatantly ignored age differences in relationships but who sees Ric letting a 100+ vampire go to his school with his daughters without taking issue.

On 7/12/2018 at 6:17 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Even though Klaus is trying to be a good dad in his own way, he is still annoying me. Why should he expect Marcel go round up some vampires to clean up the MASSIVE amount of bodies? A responsible parent would teach their kid to clean up any mess they made regardless of the situation. If you use a plate, you wash it. If you wear those clothes, you wash them, iron them, and put them in your closet. If you kill a bunch of Nazis, you have to get rid of the bodies. That's just personal responsibility and not being a dick. But it's not surprise that Klaus thinks everyone in the world is his minion/staff/cleanup crew because he's too good to handle menial tasks like that. Heh, it was so much easier on Buffy when a dead vamp just turned into dust.

Klaus had his 15 year old daughter kill a group of vampires to keep The Hollow from taking over, it makes a pretty unique situation. Hope obviously wasn't mentally prepared to kill and especially with triggering the curse she's forced to deal with the consequences, I'm not sure what personally burning the corpses would really accomplish. Marcel wasn't an uninvolved party, not only did he also want Emmett and co dead and would have assisted if needed but he's also Hope's family it seems natural one of them would have gone after her while the other clean up the mess.  Klaus telling Marcel to take care of it to me was just him saying that he'd look after Hope who Marcel was clearly worried about - he wouldn't have withheld Josh's death for Klaus' sake

• Love 2
On 7/12/2018 at 9:01 AM, Gwen-Stacys said:

The fact that Klaus keeps attributing all of Hope's good bits on Hayley (even if Hayley herself was could go on a revenge murder spree if the mood hit) makes me even more sad that this show decided to give us random romantic plot points instead of focusing more on Klaus and Hayley learning to co-parent. I say this in every episode thread, but I just love their journey from "I don't care if she dies"/ "He's an unrepentent psycho" to "I'll never let anyone take Hope from you"/"Your parents are wrong about you" to "Only I have Hope's best interest at heart"x2 to "I wouldn't trust anyone else with her"/"I know you've always fought for us" etc. The CW's insistence on romance is what keeps most of it's shows on the sup-par level they forever languish. All their more family oriented shows (JTV, Black Lightening, etc) are leagues above the others. And also get critical acclaim, you'd think they'd learn to mix it up.

I agree wholeheartedly. For me, the show was always about the family aspect and seeing two people raise a child when they came from such a messed up backgrounds. I know the show needs drama, but there was a lot of potential here that they just squandered.

I suspected that TPTB wanted to go here, but Phoebe had a lot of death threats in the first season for being the same breathing space as Klaus, so maybe they relented a bit so she wouldn't be as hated?

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I suspected that TPTB wanted to go here, but Phoebe had a lot of death threats in the first season for being the same breathing space as Klaus, so maybe they relented a bit so she wouldn't be as hated?

Death threats? Seriously?

Anyway, considering how Plec has written these shows like her personal fanfiction with no regard to plot or character continuity, I doubt that the fans had much bearing on which direction the story went. 

• Love 1

I agree on the family aspect. I was just realizing one of the scenes I've rewatched from this season is when Elijah gets his memory back in the church and collapses. It actually made me tear up but not because I was invested in Elijah and Haley but seeing his family react to his pain and feel it for him....even Kol and Marcel...is what did it for me. Made me wish they'd explored all those dynamics in the family more. That was the key. I never was invested in ANY of the romantic relationships. 

Back to this episode...kind of a cop out that Hope's curse is triggered by an accidental killing. Considering her family I would have expected an outright murder...maybe a vengeance kill.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MissL said:

kind of a cop out that Hope's curse is triggered by an accidental killing. Considering her family I would have expected an outright murder...maybe a vengeance kill.

Wasn’t Tyler’s curse triggered by an accidental death too? I know it makes more sense that it would make more sense for a Mikaelson to kill on purpose but this way the show gets to have their cake and eat it too - Hope triggered her werewolf side AND she gets to moan about how guilty she feels because it was an accident and she didn’t mean to kill an innocent human while murdering a bunch of Nazi vampires.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MissL said:

Made me wish they'd explored all those dynamics in the family more. That was the key. I never was invested in ANY of the romantic relationships. 

Yeah, I will always face-palm at the decision to introduce Hayley and Magical baby into this dynamic. If they wanted a little child so badly, they could have resurrected Henrik. 

On 7/16/2018 at 5:14 AM, Sam Marie said:

Waiting to see what freeing the ancestors at the same time Hope unleashed The Hollow's power means, probably something particularly horrific then again the show's ending it might be a ridiculous cure all.

I was waiting for something happen because of that, but nothing yet. But I'm sure they didn't put that timing accidentally

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Wasn’t Tyler’s curse triggered by an accidental death too?

I was just about to ask this very same question. Nice to know I was paying attention back in the day, heh. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

I was waiting for something happen because of that, but nothing yet. But I'm sure they didn't put that timing accidentally

4 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I was just about to ask this very same question. Nice to know I was paying attention back in the day, heh. 

Pretty sure it was. They also played with it to make sure he didn't retrigger the curse after he became human. At that point he was drunk driving i think, he a guy and his girlfriend (gemini twin) finished the guy off (suffocated him) so that Tyler didn't kill him, she did and that didn't trigger his curse.

So the rules are weird, you have to kill someone but intent doesn't matter.

(edited)

Klaus & Elijah and their entirely unhealthy, codependent & insanely convoluted relationship have been the center of 'The Originals' since TVD (so no matter how over Elijah I am the last episodes need to address it. Klaus stating he had his own family of him and Hope and maybe even Hayley, something above and separate from Elijah was incredibly bittersweet. Recognizing Elijah had no memories (though the lengths he went for Antoinette's family imply Hope's safety should have been of some concern despite Klaus) and trying to save him from self destruction didn't fix everything or return the status quo and that's perfect because it's the very least Hope (and Hayley) deserve. But the distance between them for once isn't dominated by anger and violence highlighting everything lost between them. Conversely it's reminiscent of Kol finally finding happiness with Davina and letting go of the obsessive sibling bonds, which is probably the healthiest thing to happen to any of them in centuries and yet no matter how destruction and dysfunctional the intense Mikaelson dynamic seeing it lessen is it's own perverse tragedy

Edited by Sam Marie
(edited)
13 hours ago, MissL said:

I agree on the family aspect. I was just realizing one of the scenes I've rewatched from this season is when Elijah gets his memory back in the church and collapses. It actually made me tear up but not because I was invested in Elijah and Haley but seeing his family react to his pain and feel it for him....even Kol and Marcel...is what did it for me. Made me wish they'd explored all those dynamics in the family more. That was the key. I never was invested in ANY of the romantic relationships. 

Back to this episode...kind of a cop out that Hope's curse is triggered by an accidental killing. Considering her family I would have expected an outright murder...maybe a vengeance kill.

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Wasn’t Tyler’s curse triggered by an accidental death too? I know it makes more sense that it would make more sense for a Mikaelson to kill on purpose but this way the show gets to have their cake and eat it too - Hope triggered her werewolf side AND she gets to moan about how guilty she feels because it was an accident and she didn’t mean to kill an innocent human while murdering a bunch of Nazi vampires.

The shows focus on romantic relationships just baffles me, we're shown time and time again that the Mikaelsons romantic relationships have always and will always fail if not for the plethora of ways they're incredibly damaged or the danger associated with them,  the vows of always&forever and family above all. While preaching family, stressing the codependence and striving to redefine, extend and better the family the romance seems painfully out of place and often forced. Rebekah and Marcel interested me because of Marcel's mysterious and complex relationship with the family but that angle was almost entirely ignored. Hayley and Elijah were just....

Tyler & Mason triggered the curse due to compulsion, Hayley was drunk boating, the girl she helped in s3 was defense or accidental and Klaus did so as a vampire back when feeding (& killing) was actually survival. Granted the wolves like to conveniently ignore the fact they've all killed so most of them are a mystery but as it stands Hope who has premeditated murder associated with triggering the curse (Though I'm sure Oliver's story was less than innocent) The value of vampire vs human or other supernatural lives has been insanely inconsistent since TVD s1 when Stefan defends the founders cause they killed 20 something vampires not humans and they were nazi vampires involved in her mother's death so it'll probably be considered an accident. Hope's reaction still interests me seeing that she was clearly not ok with the mass murder before finding Declan and I want to see if their's a Mikaelson-esq reaction with the relief she killed a stranger rather than Declan.

Edited by Sam Marie
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Wasn’t Tyler’s curse triggered by an accidental death too?

7 hours ago, jewel21 said:

All I remembered was that it was accidental and it happened at a party when most of the kids were drunk (as opposed to intentionally murdering someone), so I had to look it up to see what happened. Y'all, Tyler triggered his werewolf curse in 2.7 (Masquerade) which aired in October 2010. No wonder I couldn't remember all the details! Anyway, Katherine compelled Matt to provoke Tyler into killing him. Caroline realized that Matt was compelled so she knocked him out to stop him. Katherine had also compelled Tyler's friend Sarah to provoke Tyler into killing her if Matt was unsuccessful so she stabbed Tyler in the shoulder with a letter opener. When Tyler pushed her away, she hit her head on the desk and DIED. That's when they established that intent didn't mean shit when it came to triggering the curse which is why Hope is screwed with her accidental murder of that other guy.

• Love 2