Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Starry said:

I don't want to give SBs the attention they don't deserve but what are they trying to say here? That Caitlin Snow-Allen cheated on her husband with a black man? Because Nora is obviously biracial.

Well, some believe Nora gets her "coloring" from Joe, Barry's non-biological "dad" (LOL).

• Love 5

Wait, so with the latest poster, does that mean that Nora is officially 'Nora West-Allen'? There still hasn't been any straightforward listing of her name yet.   :-/

Oh, and here's the promo pic without the E! logo:

• Love 2

Aw, I like Nora's mask with the little lightning bolts(?) on it. And it's more streamlined than the one they gave Iris/Jesse/Trajectory.

It won't be poster, but I'm hoping one of the set photographers takes a good West-Allen family pic sometime this season. That will most likely end up getting used more than this photoshopped composite.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
On 8/31/2018 at 5:10 AM, Starry said:

I don't want to give SBs the attention they don't deserve but what are they trying to say here? That Caitlin Snow-Allen cheated on her husband with a black man? Because Nora is obviously biracial.

No, of course not. Only Iris would cheat on Barry. Caitlin is so faithful to her men (We’ll pretend like she didn’t cheat on her fiancé in 1x19)! She’s darker because of Joe! ? 

No joke, an SB told me that once and I have never stopped laughing! They really believe their incest claims, lol. They really think Barry’s bio father is Joe, not Henry. 

• Love 3

the-flash-fall-tv-preview-2018.jpg?w=620

I can't get over this beautiful little family! (Must... Not... Get hopes up...) The marketing people know what sells, I hope the showrunners/editors are paying attention.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

How sad! Funko had to release their surprise....exclusive Killer Frost.

But yeah it is stupid that they give Jay a funko but not Iris? 

They gave Felicity one years ago as well, but not Iris. They should be ashamed.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

But yeah it is stupid that they give Jay a funko but not Iris? 

I'm fine with all the characters they've released so far. It's typical that they'd do the super-powered ones first. They just need to also do Iris since she's a main character. And she's had powers, so they could even do that version.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Trini said:

I'm fine with all the characters they've released so far. It's typical that they'd do the super-powered ones first. They just need to also do Iris since she's a main character. And she's had powers, so they could even do that version.

That's a sad excuse for misogynoir. "Super-powers" weren't a requirement for other non-powered female leads like Felicity or Lois Lane (Smallville). The fact that they made two villain dolls (reverse flash and killer frost) before Iris is so disrespectful, I have no words. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Trini said:

I will agree with this if this is the first set. But if it isn't, this excuse/reasoning doesn't work for me especially since Flash is on it's 5th season and has been a success for CW. 

• Love 3

BTW, purple lightning is now in the profile pics of the show's social media:

uPtn6aZ9_400x400.jpg

---

A few quotes from EP Helbing and Grant in EW's season preview article:

“I don’t want people’s expectations to be through the roof, but I really think this could be very similar to season 1 in [terms of] the heart and humor it had and the scope,” Grant Gustin tells EW.

One thing contributing to the season’s lighthearted tone is the arrival of Barry and Iris’ (Candice) daughter from the future Nora (Jessica Parker Kennedy), which essentially thrusts parenthood onto the couple. “They’re learning all of the lessons new parents learn when their kids grow up, but since she’s an adult it sort of adds this heightened scenario to all those decisions,” says EP Todd Helbing.

Although there’s some chilliness between Iris and Nora, the opposite is true of Barry and Nora’s dynamic. “The dynamic between Barry and Nora has been a lot of fun to play with. Nora really looks up to Barry, and they have a connection right away, and she brings out that kind of fun, more bubbly side of Barry that we don’t get to see quite as much anymore,” says Gustin.

But, this is The Flash, so we know the fun times can’t last long, which is due to season 5 big bad Cicada (Chris Klein). “We learn pretty early on, which shouldn’t come as a huge shock, that Nora being here actually has something to do with Cicada’s arrival,” says Gustin.

Taking the one spoiler-ish bit to the Spoiler thread.

18 hours ago, Trini said:

ET Live With Jessica Parker Kennedy:

Lots of interesting bits, but she can't really spoil anything big.

God this casting was perfect.  For a moment there, I thought that was Candice Patton!  I saw the hair, the mouth, the eyes and the nose and thought it was her with a really bright light on her to account for the lighter skintone - but then I realized it was JPK!  Wow!

A few quotes from Helbing here: 'Todd Helbing Teases What's Ahead in Season 5'
Nothing really new.

----

Pretty substantial interview with Patrick Sabongui about The Flash, and his character, Capt. Singh.

“Some kid entrenched in this community that doesn’t accept him or her can see themselves represented in Captain Singh either because of being a visible minority or because of his sexual orientation and feeling like they identify. That could have untold effect in that child’s life. That is real, more real to me than any contract or any ratings or any other kind of success. That is affecting somebody’s life that may not have found that they feel okay in their identity until you know maybe I can contribute to it. So it’s one of the highlights of my career, honestly being able to be part of people’s experience that way”, Patrick said.

I know he gives Barry a hard time. People are always saying ‘damn you really hate Barry’ and I don’t think he has any animosity towards Barry whatsoever. I think it’s a tough love. I know he did dress him down sometimes but it’s out of tough love. I think he expects more from Barry and he wants Barry to succeed. Barry’s a bit flaky in the real world especially if you don’t know the context of why he’s being flaky. I think their relationship continues down that path. Singh wants the best for Barry. He wants Barry to do better, he wants him to succeed.

Edited by Trini

The only thing worthwhile that was said at the con was Cisco and Caitlin will have more friendships scenes this season. Nothing else was said. Apparently nobody asked about Caitlin's storyline. The con sounded boring

Although this was interesting. For years, her favorite episode was always the karaoke episode (the sb shipbaiting ep). 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

The only thing worthwhile that was said at the con was Cisco and Caitlin will have more friendships scenes this season. Nothing else was said. Apparently nobody asked about Caitlin's storyline. The con sounded boring

Although this was interesting. For years, her favorite episode was always the karaoke episode (the sb shipbaiting ep).

Did they ask about Cisco's storyline? Because I'm more interested in his character.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Starry said:

Did they ask about Cisco's storyline? Because I'm more interested in his character.

Barely anything was said about the new season except they would have more friendship scenes. It's the same thing that happened at comic con. Right now, it's clear Cisco has no storyline and will play support in others

• Love 3

I'm confused about DP and CV selling Cisco and Caitlin friendship scenes as the best S5 has to offer for them. It's not like we're lacking in friendship scenes for those two. Their friendship predates the show in "Arrow".  It predates even knowing Barry and has been established since S1 and heavily reinforced in S3 when Cisco was the main support and driver for Caitlin's Killer Frost redemption drama. Julian was a close second. So, isn't this just more of the same? My hope is that it's just a ploy to turn them from friends into lovers. That would be new and interesting.

• Love 3
On 9/23/2018 at 4:28 PM, adora721 said:

I'm confused about DP and CV selling Cisco and Caitlin friendship scenes as the best S5 has to offer for them. It's not like we're lacking in friendship scenes for those two. Their friendship predates the show in "Arrow".  It predates even knowing Barry and has been established since S1 and heavily reinforced in S3 when Cisco was the main support and driver for Caitlin's Killer Frost redemption drama. Julian was a close second. So, isn't this just more of the same? My hope is that it's just a ploy to turn them from friends into lovers. That would be new and interesting.

I kinda upset that it appears Cisco has no storyline this season - maybe he'll have something more in the back half?  But I'd prefer to see him have more.  It kills me that EVERY season Caitlin gets an independent arc - a BIG arc - and Cisco is not really ever given a full one.  Nevermind how Iris still hasn't gotten her due.

• Love 3

By accident, I saw a screen shot of the "Composure Magazine" cover DP did back in 2015 (?) online yesterday. I'd heard about it, but never seen it. I found the link to the article.

The cover calls DP, "The leading lady of the  CW's Flash"; I find it hard to believe TPTB were OK with that. Later in the article, it doubles down on that in the excerpt below:

"Last year saw much discussion about roles for women in the entertainment industry, and there has never been a better time to champion feminine power on screen. “The Flash” has embraced this from the beginning, as its hero owes much of his crime-fighting success to his leading lady. “I’m so proud to play such an intelligent woman on television,” Panabaker gushes about her character’s credentials as an accomplished bioengineer."

Was there any fan  backlash on this when the article claimed that Barry owed "much of his  crime-fighting success to his leading lady", Caitlin? I know people went insane when Iris declared "We are the Flash".   

DPLeadingLadyComposure.PNG

Edited by adora721
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, adora721 said:

By accident, I saw a screen shot of the "Composure Magazine" cover DP did back in 2015 (?) online yesterday. I'd heard about it, but never seen it. I found the link to the article.

The cover calls DP, "The leading lady of the  CW's Flash"; I find it hard to believe TPTB were OK with that. Later in the article, it doubles down on that in the excerpt below:

"Last year saw much discussion about roles for women in the entertainment industry, and there has never been a better time to champion feminine power on screen. “The Flash” has embraced this from the beginning, as its hero owes much of his crime-fighting success to his leading lady. “I’m so proud to play such an intelligent woman on television,” Panabaker gushes about her character’s credentials as an accomplished bioengineer."

Was there any fan  backlash on this when the article claimed that Barry owed "much of his  crime-fighting success to his leading lady", Caitlin? I know people went insane when Iris declared "We are the Flash".   

From what I saw firsthand, many Iris, CP, and WestAllen fans were mad about that cover.

There was lots of venting on twitter and tumblr about it, most of it correcting the magazine that Iris is the leading since she is the actual love interest of the hero lead as well as anger about CP being disrespected/dismissed. I don't recall the resolution but folks were boiling mad in the westallen tag on tumblr and twitter.  IMO, that incident more than anything else started folks I know and saw to side-eye her. I also think it made Iris/CP/WestAllen fans double down on refusing to let Iris go the way of Abbie Mills and Dinah Laurel Lance. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I also think it made Iris/CP/WestAllen fans double down on refusing to let Iris go the way of Abbie Mills and Dinah Laurel Lance. 

Thanks for details on the history. I am still quite shocked they didn't retract or change the leading lady detail even after all these years. 

9 hours ago, adora721 said:

There was massive backlash from CP/Iris fans on this.  We even sent notes to the magazine correcting them and making it plain that their FALSE take erased the actual female lead - CP.  Then there was this interesting claim by DP fans that The Flash had no female lead - which quickly got disabused in the media because a flurry of articles came out saying CP was the lead (before Season 3).  And in some, I think one of the Helbing brothers referred to CP as the female lead.  And since that time, EVERY article refers to CP as the leading lady of the flash.

It was a particularly bad time - and I sometimes wonder if this was a turning point for CP with DP.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, adora721 said:

Thanks for details on the history. I am still quite shocked they didn't retract or change the leading lady detail even after all these years. 

Fans even wrote the magazine to explain to them that their cover was wrong.  They never corrected it.  I hope it's folded since then.  Jerks.  Damn - I'm STILL mad.  And honestly this was when DP became essentially dead to me and I lost ALL respect for her.  Everything people have said about her plotting with AJK and conspiring against CP became so much more probable after this.  And this is after she spent time pre-pilot and during S1/2 doing EVERYTHING she could to erase CP ("I love being the only woman at Star Labs!" when asked about Iris eventually being there more, and pimping SnowBarry right in front of Candice and Carlos in an interview - you should have seen their side eye at her, to countless other micro-aggressions and foolishness over the years).

No wonder there seems to be no love lost between them after what DP did.  No wonder EBR and CL DROPPED DP from their social media.  You KNOW some shit went down and they've chosen to back CP because they KNOW DP is shady AF.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, phoenics said:

There was massive backlash from CP/Iris fans on this.  We even sent notes to the magazine correcting them and making it plain that their FALSE take erased the actual female lead - CP.  Then there was this interesting claim by DP fans that The Flash had no female lead - which quickly got disabused in the media because a flurry of articles came out saying CP was the lead (before Season 3).  And in some, I think one of the Helbing brothers referred to CP as the female lead.  And since that time, EVERY article refers to CP as the leading lady of the flash.

It was a particularly bad time - and I sometimes wonder if this was a turning point for CP with DP.

I think this was the end of the road for Candice, even though it was clear some tension was there by the end of season 1. 2016 also marked the only time Danielle wished Candice a happy birthday on SM and it was right after that awkward trip to Monaco together. I think even Danielle knew that magazine cover was a mistake, and I think she was trying to make up for it. 

Danielle knew that the magazine was going to feature her and claim she was the leading lady. That’s how these types of magazine covers work. It was an interesting move, but I think it mostly backfired on her, tbh. 

Edited by Kate45
  • Love 2