Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Chapter 17

Bort

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"I like your eyes."
"Thanks. They're new."

This is my first time watching the show, so I'm way behind, but I really enjoyed it.  Hard to follow sometimes, but enjoyable.

She meant what she said about her eyes.  Well, they're new to her anyway.  This is my second season watching, and it's still hard to follow.  But more makes sense than initially appears.

• Love 1

Betting that Melanie is fighting back against Farouk/Oliver's control. Hoping. I'm still not clear on what her powers are.

Nice to see Cary/Kerry again. I don't know how they're going to wrap everything up in the next couple of episodes.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ask for supporting characters, get supporting characters! Good to see them more, at last (though little of Clark and no Ptonomy).

I liked this episode: trippy yet still pretty focused. The revelation that it's only been 13 days since Farouk took over Oliver was a real surprise. A little less odd for Melanie to get high for a couple of weeks, mourning him, vs. months of being stoned.

Oliver's romantic comments made me sad: manipulating Melanie's feelings to gain her help. Oliver does seem to come through now and then; I hope he gets back to himself.

Loved Cary and Kerry altogether. Their connection is wonderful.

Poor Lenny, still unable to live her own life. I'm glad Amy isn't entirely lost, though.

I originally hoped for more episodes this season (than the 8 in S1), but maybe having more has created the various focal issues, drawing things out too much. (Reminds me a little of Rectify, rambling a bit w/S2, then tightening the structure later with fewer eps again.) That said, I hope there is a 3rd season. It does seem like there's too much more to the story to finish in a couple of episodes.

Edited by justmehere
2 hours ago, justmehere said:

The revelation that it's only been 13 days since Farouk took over Oliver was a real surprise.

I *think* it's been 13 days since David came back, but he (David) was gone for a year before that, when Farouk first took Oliver from Summerland

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, justmehere said:

The revelation that it's only been 13 days since Farouk took over Oliver was a real surprise.

No, it's been 13 days since David returned from his abduction by the orb. He was gone for a year.

ETA: Missed the above post.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 1

Nice to see more the supporting cast here.  The scenes between Cary/Kerry were sweet and heartbreaking at times.  I do worry that they are actually leading to Cary dying some point soon and Kerry having to learn to be without him.

Of course, the first thing Lenny would do is go back to her drug den and go all crazy.  But it sure looks like she is part of David's plan.  And Amy is actually still inside her head?  Crazy!

Hopefully Melanie will over come Oliver/Farouk's control.

• Love 1

The actress who plays Amy must be thrilled that she gets to join in on the psychic hijinks, instead of being Davids supportive, normal sister. Loved all the scenes with ghostly, snarky Amy bugging Lenny, who has disappeared back into drug land. For now at least. 

I liked this episode a lot. It was weird, but also focused, and we got some fun stuff with the supporting cast. I love Cary and Kerry, and they got a lot to do this week. Loved when Melanie was rambling about how one of them could be the other ones hallucination, while Kerry just looked confused, and, of course, Kerry saying she would stab death twice in the heart if it ever came for Carey. I also liked how when they were running, they were in sync for a minute. 

Any episode with more Jean Smart is a good thing. I hope she and Oliver can find their way back to each other. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, rmontro said:

She meant what she said about her eyes.  Well, they're new to her anyway. 

I gathered that she did some kind of body-snatching thing, so I'm looking forward to finding out exactly how that happened. Helps that Aubrey Plaza sells the unhinged thing really well, to the point where I was like, Run away, little girl, before she bites you. Or worse.

I'm here for Amy presenting herself as a moral compass to Lenny... while also giving her the business.  Highlight of the episode to me.  And Lenny... is always good.  Aubrey Plaza really is the series MVP.  She does crazy, unhinged, but still so... somewhat... well, maybe a little bit... likable.  Maybe?

This is probably my favorite episode of the season... and finally giving Melanie something to do.  I'm not sure yet what side is she on... I'm putting her on, she's in Olver/Farouk's control at the moment, plus she's under the delusions Oliver's planted, and I don't think she'll overcome it.  I want Melanie and Oliver, those two crazy kids, to break from Farouk, but I don't think it will happen...

• Love 2

An entire episode about the supporting characters! FINALLY!

It's interesting that David didn't appear at all in this episode apart from one little flashback from a previous episode. I don't think he's ever missed a whole episode before.

All of season 2 has only been taking place in about 13 days? Wow!

They actually gave a slight time stamp in this episode which they've never done before - Melanie says Bombay was renamed Mumbai while Oliver was gone and that happened in the mid 90s.

I'm getting more scared that Melanie and Oliver won't ever get to be happy together - they were so close last season!

I love that Cary and Kerry got more screen time and I always love when they spend that time together.

Lenny loves David and would actually do anything for him - I quite like that. They were friends before and she was in his head for quite some time so it makes sense. I also like that Amy is there to be here moral compass in a way - it's actually a better use of that character since in season 1 she was pretty much just the damsel who needed to be rescued.

The other characters are on their way to the desert to help David but Clark was taken out of commission - will that seriously affect David's plan?

And I still think everything is in David's head so I'm not sure if anything is even real!

• Love 2