Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Kimmy Disrupts the Paradigm!

1 hour ago, bmoore4026 said:

Geeks have feelings too?  Who knew?  God, this season has been annoying.

Didn't you know that nerds are ALL antisocial and hate being touched and never look up from their devices? And never have the slightest romantic life or sexual interest until some non-nerd talks them into it? And are basically robots?

This show seems to be really big into gross stereotypes. It might think it's progressively addressing it all, but it sure seems to spend a LOOOOOT of time doubling down on the stereotype and playing it for the same stupid laughs whichever stereotype has always been played for, and only a tiny token bit of the "but wait, there's more. We're not really bigots or appropriating or whatever. Really!" Which...if you're not, maybe your comedy needs to swerve in a different direction? I don't know. They try to walk a fine line and I don't think they always land on the correct side.

I hated that after Kimmy's speech, the one nerd just grabbed that woman, swooped her over, and kissed her. Assault; hello.

• Love 7

Are we still doing the awkward nerd stuff? In 2018? I feel like this show has just become a way to use the broadest most obvious stereotypes about every group of people on the planet for cheap jokes, but with a sort of hipster wink to just to justify it. "We arent being assholes, this all all ironic! That makes it alright! God we`re progressive!" 

I did laugh at Kimmy getting back at the guy by announcing his lack of tech knowledge. And the girl he kissed dropping his hand in horror when he admitted to still having a hotmail account.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, jcin617 said:

I think they play up these stereotypes more as a farce, not because they believe them.

I think they think they do...

• Love 3
19 hours ago, jcin617 said:

I think they play up these stereotypes more as a farce, not because they believe them.

Yea they have always taken stereotypes and played them up in a total over the top way. Look at Jacqueline and all the rich people stereotypes they get out of her or the hard ass old New Yorker stereotypes they get from Lillian. Kimmy works for a high tech company, so why wouldn't they do the same thing with tech geeks? I thought the hotmail joke was hilarious, and i have a hotmail account.

• Love 7

I totally have a hotmail account and I'm not ashamed. I have too many things connected to it to bother at this point. Of course I do have gmail too, so I'm not too antiquated.

The orgy did make me laugh for some reason. Although in this day and age, geeks are in and I'm sure many of them have lots of sex.

• Love 1

I skimmed over this part of the season, and it is really starting to bother me when one sitcom lazily rips off another, even if they repackage it. On Blackish, baby DeVante was soothed by a rap about booty, totally stealing from Friends' famous episode where Baby Emma was soothed by "Baby Got Back." right down to the specific beats.  Here, I saw a Crazy Ex Girlfriend rip off (the whole sexual empowerment - wear slutty shoes for YOU routine) that CEG did much more cleverly, and a Chewing Gum steal (the orgy).

I don't know why it is that a rip off feels like a rip off even if you're not familiar with the source. Here, I was (just as on Blackish I was), but when I hear something that's been done before, and quite notably, it just doesn't land on the steal the way it did originally. It FEELS reverse engineered.

I keep wanting to get back into Kimmy since I love Elle Kempner, Titus Burgess, and, for the most part, Carol Kane. But I can't bear Jane Krakowski in this. Liked her in 30 Rock, but not this. This just feels like FOT casting.

"When they say you can keep the wigs, you don't ask a lot of questions!" Never change, Titus.

Whimmy shimmy thank you Kimmy. I died.

I also loved the continuity of the fact that even though Kimmy has told both Titus and Jacqueline off for ordering her around, they still can't help themselves. "Your girl is terrible, but I have one at home that's worse."

The guy who played the nerd that Titus first starts talking to was Jeffrey Weinerslav!

On 6/4/2018 at 11:58 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Botox from eating improperly canned meat. Yikes. Guess you might end up as a wrinkle-free corpse.

Whimmy shimmy, thank you, Kimmy.

I thought it was pretty poor writing or editing when Jacqueline (or Ja-kwellan as I say in my head, thanks Key and Peele) says if Titus doesn't eat she doesn't eat, but that's okay because she doesn't eat.  Immediately followed by the line about getting botox from eating improperly canned meat.