Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Cancun, Baby!

Well, those goats didn't last long. Goddamn it, Tandy. At least Tandy & Mike were smart enough to drive back to the grove. And wait, Phil finally becomes smart once he sees a real dog? He has a point: That grove has all they need, and they can't stop just moving from empty place from empty place. This is what we've been all hoping would happen, right? I bet that dog belonged to the bunker people, too.

According to Kristen Schaal's instagram, she gave birth while on the last day of filming this episode, and there's a stand-in with some of her scenes, hence the shades and the mask.

• Love 6

RIP Clancy, you creepy-cute thing.

Tandy's speech calling out the group's lifestyle was great, and long overdue. (In s.1 when Phil 2 mentioned farming, I do recall Carol saying something about how her vegetable garden "just wasn't enough" -- I guess they were probably going through food faster than she could grow it.) 

Tandy giving his rat-tail to Mike (and Mike giving him a bit of his armpit hair) was so sweet. :) 

• Love 1
(edited)

So they just abandoned Jasper?  How is he supposed to find them if they don't go to Cancun?  Why don't these idiots put in CB radios in their vehicles?

Edited by Mulva
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Mulva said:

So they just abandoned Jasper? How is he supposed to find them if they don't go to Cancun?  Why don't these idiots put in CB rradios in their vehicles?

Or shortwave radios since they have better range.

If Mike was going to go exploring, he should go get the armored car with the satellite uplink -- just so he isn't roaming around randomly, but actually investigating possible life signs.

I'm surprised they didn't go after that dog.  An actual dog.

The bunker people didn't appear to be armed, but encircling the orchard and cutting off all escape routes is a pretty threatening.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

According to Kristen Schaal's instagram, she gave birth while on the last day of filming this episode, and there's a stand-in with some of her scenes, hence the shades and the mask.

Interesting!

9 minutes ago, Mulva said:

So they just abandoned Jasper?  How is he supposed to find them if they don't go to Cancun?  Why don't these idiots put in CB rradios in their vehicles?

I am so worried about Jasper.  How could they do that to that boy?  Just make him go with them.  He is a kid.

I was anxious the entire episode.  I think I maybe ODing on post apocalypse, I am doing The 100 and The 3% plus a ton of books on the topic.

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

What a trouper!!!!!

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

I am so worried about Jasper.  How could they do that to that boy?  Just make him go with them.  He is a kid.

I'm guessing he's now in cahoots with the bunker people, and Melissa knows what's going on but we're going to have to wait. I'm on Pacific Time and it's killing me.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'll cross-post this article to the "Media" thread later; but for now I'll leave a couple quotes:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/06/last-man-on-earth-season-4-finale-will-forte-cancun-baby/

Shouldn’t Melissa [January Jones] have forced Jasper [Keith L. Williams] to come with the group when they left Zihuatanejo? Isn’t it a little cruel to leave a kid by himself there, even if he’s been given a self-driving car with coordinates to Cancun?
Yeah, we probably should’ve. Nobody could look at us and say, “Oh, what responsible people.”

And now that they’re not going to Cancun, don’t they need to double back to let him know that the plans have changed?
That’s a good question. So much thought goes into this stuff, and we debated this stuff forever,. At a certain point, though, things can get crazy, you have to finish the episode, and then all of a sudden it’s like, “Yeah, let’s do this,” and toward the end of the season especially, we write as many as we can before we start, develop a little bit of a pad, and before you know it, you’re just scrambling to get an episode out. This year, I feel like we’re a little more ahead of the game, but we love Keith, the kid who plays Jasper, so certainly he will be involved in some way. I’m sure we will cross paths from him again.

Edited by GRChereck
6 hours ago, Maricopa said:

I'm guessing he's now in cahoots with the bunker people, and Melissa knows what's going on but we're going to have to wait. I'm on Pacific Time and it's killing me.

Interesting point.

1 hour ago, jumper sage said:
7 hours ago, Maricopa said:

Interesting point.

Actually, now I'm confused. Were the bunker people at the blown-up piano house, or are they the hordes of masked weirdoes and the new Utopia? I was washing dishes and missed something crucial.

Anyway, I'm confident they wrote our discomfort about Jasper into a big-ass story line. We were all kids once, whose adults thought we were BS but we knew better...and whaddya know, these are the people who write the show. Remember knowing better? On occasion I still think I do. Well, I think Jasper took it to the max. He's gonna run the asylum if they get a new season.

• Love 1

Interesting ending.  I thought Mike was going to come upon all of the bunker people out on his own.

Love the dog, and the return of the goats. 

I'm truly wondering where they go from here.  You can't introduce 100+ cast members and keep things as they have been.  Either the bunker people are (relatively) normal and recognize our gang for the freakshow they are; or the bunker people are a whole new level of crazy and our gang become captives. 

Just sort of glad they encountered Tandy after he shaved everything.  Someone's gonna wonder about those eyebrows, though.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Maricopa said:

Actually, now I'm confused. Were the bunker people at the blown-up piano house, or are they the hordes of masked weirdoes and the new Utopia? I was washing dishes and missed something crucial.

The bunker people are surrounding them at their new abode, where Phil plans to die (in the future.)

If nothing else, they must want their goats back.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

The bunker people are surrounding them at their new place of abode, where Phil plans to die (in the future.)

If nothing else, they must want their goats back.

If the bunker people know about the orange/avocado grove (my personal heaven) and the goats, wouldn't there have been some sign of human activity in or around the grove, goats tied up or penned, etc.? 

Sorry, being practical in a very non-practical sitcom environment.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, chaifan said:

If the bunker people know about the orange/avocado grove (my personal heaven) and the goats, wouldn't there have been some sign of human activity in or around the grove, goats tied up or penned, etc.? 

Sorry, being practical in a very non-practical sitcom environment.

You would think, but the goats seem to return to the grove of their own accord.

I'm surprised we were spared the experience of slaughtering the goat that they ate.

I wonder what the absolutely delicious meal was that Carol prepared from oranges and avocado.  Maybe just a simple salad, but it was fresh, so it tasted wonderful to them.

I also wonder about what the babies are eating.  Just avocado?  Oranges are too stringy and don't have enough calories.  I doubt they could chew goat meat yet. I also doubt that either pregnant woman is still nursing.

When Carol said she was having apnea problems during the day, I was concerned that she was having so much trouble breathing.  I'm glad it was just an excuse to hide her double.

• Love 1

^Moms can still breastfeed their babies past 2 yrs. The babies are less than 1 yr old. For solid food, they can make puree orange and avocado, or if there are still cereal or oatmeal out there maybe?

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Thanks! I was wondering what the point was, esp since at the end she wasn't wearing it anymore.

I sure hope this show gets renewed. I don't know if the creators have a plan or if, like the Breaking Bad writers, they just write stuff with the plan of writing themselves out of situations, but I want more.

I liked Tandy's sensible decision to stay in this place with the fresh food and water. Not sure if they'd get bored, though. It had a point about Cancun possibly being littered with corpses.

Liked when the two goats ran away and Mike said, "Kids. Am I right?" I also liked Tandy's line, "It hasn't been this hard to say goodbye to a house since High Laurie died."

I want his iceberg cone t-shirt!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I sure hope this show gets renewed. I don't know if the creators have a plan or if, like the Breaking Bad writers, they just write stuff with the plan of writing themselves out of situations, but I want more.

From the comments Will makes in this interview , it appears that the writers do have a plan for what they want to do if the show gets renewed. He says that they wrote the season finale open-ended as a way of making FOX want to renew the show. He does say however that if they do get renewed that the fifth season would be the last and they'd go into it aiming towards a series finale that would wrap everything up. 

• Love 3

I have to admit, I don't like that Mike's left again, even if he's alive and well this time. We only just got him back! It smacks of no-one knowing in advance what Jason Sudeikis's schedule was, and I'll be really disappointed if we don't see him again.

• Love 1
(edited)

TV Grim Reaper just moved this show into the "Likely Canceled" category, so this could end up being the series finale -- in which case, I guess we'll never find out what happens next (unless they make a wrap-up movie or something.)

Edited by J-Man
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/7/2018 at 1:04 PM, piequinn35 said:

^Moms can still breastfeed their babies past 2 yrs. The babies are less than 1 yr old. For solid food, they can make puree orange and avocado, or if there are still cereal or oatmeal out there maybe?

A nine-month pregnant woman's milk is not the milk that twin 10+ month-olds need. The milk of a pregnant nursing mom decreases in quantity and changes in quality to mostly colostrum.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

Generally, breastfeeding while pregnant is safe but if Carol stopped because she is 9 mos pregnant, Erica is still there to help.

That would be ambitious.  I think breastfeeding your own child while pregnant is plenty without trying to also nurse your friend's twins!  If Erica's still nursing, she's already eating for three!  (And we would certainly hear about it from Tandy if Erica was nursing his daughters. Plenty of fodder for crude remarks there.)

• Love 1

I had  moment of panic when Tandy talked about Hugh Laurie being dead, wondering how in the world I could have missed something like that. It was only after I rushed to the Internet to check and saw that he was alive and well that I remembered that EVERYONE is dead on this show. I'm an idiot.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That would be ambitious.  I think breastfeeding your own child while pregnant is plenty without trying to also nurse your friend's twins!  If Erica's still nursing, she's already eating for three!  (And we would certainly hear about it from Tandy if Erica was nursing his daughters. Plenty of fodder for crude remarks there.)

There are moms that have tons of milk supply, they pump their milk, freeze and donate to other moms that have supply problems.

I think Erica uses breast pumps, maybe she does help Carol?

I read about moms that were breastfeeding their kid while in 3rd trimester, milk's taste does change bec. of the colostrum, babies sometimes don't mind the taste.

Also, they can feed the babies with rice, they can just add something to it for taste.

And the goat milk...

• Love 2
(edited)
43 minutes ago, piequinn35 said:

There are moms that have tons of milk supply, they pump their milk, freeze and donate to other moms that have supply problems.

I think Erica uses breast pumps, maybe she does help Carol?

I read about moms that were breastfeeding their kid while in 3rd trimester, milk's taste does change bec. of the colostrum, babies sometimes don't mind the taste.

Also, they can feed the babies with rice, they can just add something to it for taste.

And the goat milk...

The goat milk would be great since it's more easily digested than cow milk.

I would be surprised if the moms who donate extra are also pregnant, but you never know.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
1 hour ago, crashdown said:

I had  moment of panic when Tandy talked about Hugh Laurie being dead, wondering how in the world I could have missed something like that. It was only after I rushed to the Internet to check and saw that he was alive and well that I remembered that EVERYONE is dead on this show. I'm an idiot.

I didn't watch House, so for a second I thought Tandy was talking about the character House dying in the last episode. Then I realized, no, it was the actor, and for a split second I wondered when he'd died, then I remembered that the virus probably killed him.

• Love 1

He says that they wrote the season finale open-ended as a way of making FOX want to renew the show. 

Which is typical for a show on the bubble and I understand how a business works, but damn. It's frustrating as hell that the show will leave us hanging like this if it gets the ax. 

TV Grim Reaper just moved this show into the "Likely Canceled" category

I don't know what their track record is, but Cancel Bear still has it down as a likely renewal, by 67%. It's probably a crap shoot but the show has a lot of star power behind it and I could see a limited episode renewal so they can sell the show into syndication.

• Love 2

Hello everyone.  My first comment about the show, and it is after the cancellation announcement.  Had to say something about Jasper's situation though.  Jasper doesn't know the gang isn't going to Cancun.  I think Mike is responsible enough to head back to where Jasper is and tell him the gang's location.  Plus, Mike might want the satellite truck back.  Who knows, Jasper might even be interested in joining Mike on his quest.  

I wonder how many of the gang went to Area 51?

• Love 1