Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Hot Box

In the final days before the Station 19 captaincy is announced, Pruitt warns Andy not to be disappointed with the outcome. Meanwhile, Ben gets upset with Pruitt for having told Bailey the dangers of firefighting; and the team gets trapped inside the garage of a burning house, putting several lives at risk.

My God! That was just completely ridiculous. I mean, that woman was so paranoid to have the entire house with special glass and re enforced steel. That means that house probably cost over $60K for all those upgrades. I don't care if the divorcing couple had the money for it or not, who did they think was going to break into the house? Plus, all those server connectors in the garage, the house wouldn't have gone into lock down like that. You have an over ride, just in case. Even the set up, he was that tired, he didn't do a quick channel check to make sure he heard them and kept on going with the wrong codes. Plus, he kept hitting the same buttons. I'm also sorry, when they were on the radio yelling at the police about the battling ram. No, that would have been there in a no time, good to know that the SPD are just as stupid on Station 19 as they have been on Grey's all these years. 

The Captain can argue all he wants, but when you put someone from the outside in as the new leader, you are going to get conflict and bad conflict. What does he expect? They will all get up on the new captain and outst him so both Andy and the Kevin will get the job then? I'm happy the season is over next week, they need to get back to figuring out how to write decent stories. That was another problem, if you could break in below the windows to get vents and put out the fire, why couldn't you do the same around the garage? They acted like the place was the Fallout Shelter 100. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Netfoot said:

This episode was UTTER SHIT from beginning to end.  

I don't know how much more of this I can take.

I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one.  I've never watched this show until last night and I was not impressed. The premise was just weak. 

My favorite lame part was the doors and windows were impenetrable, but the stone wall crumbles like a cookie with one swing of a mallet?  

My other favorite lame part was where they grab the hot water heater, which apparently wasn't hot at all. 

Oh goodness...that was just so bad.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Snickerdoodle said:

I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one.  I've never watched this show until last night and I was not impressed. The premise was just weak. 

My favorite lame part was the doors and windows were impenetrable, but the stone wall crumbles like a cookie with one swing of a mallet?  

My other favorite lame part was where they grab the hot water heater, which apparently wasn't hot at all. 

Oh goodness...that was just so bad.

Or how they magically had energy to take the water heater apart and Bishop doing her mad dash worrying the lose piece could kill someone. Umm... you are all wearing helmets and behind a police car and shelving. What is the probability of that piece hitting someone from the explosion? Plus, while it was true, trying to get the police car to ram the door was a stupid idea because of the exhaust. Why did he have to hot wire it? It was the THEIR police car. Also, good to know unless you are Station 19 everyone else from other stations are just idiots and why didn't one of the other fortified fire engines try to ram the garage. It would have been just as good as a SWAT brand, plus they could have gotten back to that stupid hydroponic door. So interesting that water heater knocked that corner of the garage enough to get it open enough that people could get in and out. Plus for the Captain, umm... get out of the damn garage, then hug. You are killing yourself just by being in there too and shouting: "Turn the gas off" was stupid too. Duh. 

• Love 3

The preview for next week looks completely predictable for a first season show. Put everyone in danger, and it on a cliffhanger and then you can write out whatever characters you feel aren't working as you head into your second season.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, readster said:

Or how they magically had energy to take the water heater apart and Bishop doing her mad dash worrying the lose piece could kill someone.

Right?  All of a sudden they were like, "OK LET'S DO THIS!!!!!!"

I liked how Bishop was perfectly fine after being pushed back from the explosion. 

There are also so many people on this show I have no idea who is who.  They all kind of look alike.  And funny how they all seem to be about the same age.  Where are the gruff veterans?

• Love 1

You want dumb?

They can't use the car as a battering ram, because if it fails, they will be stuck in the garage with a car that produces carbon monoxide.  A car that they can't turn back off?!?

Ok, so they can't use the car.  What about the huge fire engines parked outside?  I mean if a water heater could bust that door down so could a huge truck, right?  Except they'd rather let six people die than mar that bright, red paintwork!

Get on the radio and ask for a little battering ram.  Not a fucking bulldozer!?!??

The amount of time the asshole kept calling on the radio for the number, he could have run back out and asked again!

If you have a bottle of gasoline with a rag in the top, and you stand it next to a gas water heater, the pilot will ignite the rag, and nothing will happen!  A bottle of gas with a rag in it is commonly used in Trinidad for outdoor lighting (like a tiki torch).  I've used them myself, hundreds of times.  They are called a flambeau. 65766098_large.jpg

The water heater certainly doesn't become a guided missile!

By the way, how did they tear the water heater off the wall but retain the pilot light?  And in the process of tearing the water heater off, how come not a drop of water came spouting out of the pipes that (presumably) supply the water it's supposed to heat?

What was that with the car jack?  They stuck it under a lip on the door... and failed to jack it up!  Least ways I didn't see anyone operating a jack.  

The thin steel door was resistant to diamond cutters, and they couldn't get the Jaws-of-Life under it to lift.  Know what isn't resistant to the diamond cutters?  The concrete under the door!  They only needed to cut out enough to get the JOL in there.  And the guy who has been replacing my windows this week had absolutely no trouble getting through my concrete walls with an angle grinder a quarter that size.  An abrasive wheel, BTW, will cut any type of steel.  That's how hardened steel is cut!

I could start off on the inane conversational treasures between everybody from Daddy/Boss/Janitor to wossname and his new boyfriend, but I simply can't be bothered.  Sufficient to say that virtually every single word of dialogue and every minor twist of plot was TOTAL BULLSHIT from credits to credits.

Did someone say that next week is the finale?  Thank Ghodd!  Surely a stinky, steaming pile like this won't be renewed?

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Snickerdoodle said:

Right?  All of a sudden they were like, "OK LET'S DO THIS!!!!!!"

I liked how Bishop was perfectly fine after being pushed back from the explosion. 

There are also so many people on this show I have no idea who is who.  They all kind of look alike.  And funny how they all seem to be about the same age.  Where are the gruff veterans?

Yes, to all of this. Or how Bishop's hearing was gone and then it was the next day and she was fine. Now, if they follow up that her hearing has been damaged, then ok. Other wise, that kind of an explosion was all Stephine from Grey's logic. Something explodes in front of her and they get up fine. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

You want dumb?

They can't use the car as a battering ram, because if it fails, they will be stuck in the garage with a car that produces carbon monoxide.  A car that they can't turn back off?!?

Ok, so they can't use the car.  What about the huge fire engines parked outside?  I mean if a water heater could bust that door down so could a huge truck, right?  Except they'd rather let six people die than mar that bright, red paintwork!

Get on the radio and ask for a little battering ram.  Not a fucking bulldozer!?!??

What was that with the car jack?  They stuck it under a lip on the door... and failed to jack it up!  Least ways I didn't see anyone operating a jack.  

The thin steel door was resistant to diamond cutters, and they couldn't get the Jaws-of-Life under it to lift.  Know what isn't resistant to the diamond cutters?  The concrete under the door!  They only needed to cut out enough to get the JOL in there.  And the guy who has been replacing my windows this week had absolutely no trouble getting through my concrete walls with an angle grinder a quarter that size.  An abrasive wheel, BTW, will cut any type of steel.  That's how hardened steel is cut!

I could start off on the inane conversational treasures between everybody from Daddy/Boss/Janitor to wossname and his new boyfriend, but I simply can't be bothered.  Sufficient to say that virtually every single word of dialogue and every minor twist of plot was TOTAL BULLSHIT from credits to credits.

Did someone say that next week is the finale?  Thank Ghodd!  Surely a stinky, steaming pile like this won't be renewed?

I know, the writers are like: "No one can google this or knows enough to drive a "bulldozer" through the holes in this story. Even when they were talking about the former Captain's first day as captain how he lost two men from a roof collapse. I wanted to go: "So, was that garage super steel too?" I mean yes, you will bake like a cake in an enclosed structure like that, but this was some super house. Where you can take down the garage door and apparently in an upscale neighborhood like this, the wife felt her house needed to be protected like the pentagon and blow over $60K in security. Especially, when she said she was in cyber security. So, you couldn't program your disks and cloud drives to lock down and wipe themselves? Oh no, turn the house into a fortress if someone punches the pin key wrong 3 times. Plus, as said, he had plenty of time to run back to the garage or get someone else who wasn't half asleep to do the code. Plus, good to know the house was contained in that area where he could just walk in and not be going: "Oh God! Fire, must hurry!" It was more: "Ok, walk in, look around, look some more, there is a fire in here?" 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, readster said:

I know, the writers are like: "No one can google this or knows enough to drive a "bulldozer" through the holes in this story.

As that one guy kept telling the other that nothing would break that glass, I was actually thinking, "Why don't they google a way to get through the glass?"  They had all those people standing around outside DOING NOTHING.  They all looked like they gave up.  Surely someone could have figured out how to do some google-fu on that?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, readster said:

Or how they magically had energy to take the water heater apart and Bishop doing her mad dash worrying the lose piece could kill someone. Umm... you are all wearing helmets and behind a police car and shelving. What is the probability of that piece hitting someone from the explosion? Plus, while it was true, trying to get the police car to ram the door was a stupid idea because of the exhaust. Why did he have to hot wire it? It was the THEIR police car. Also, good to know unless you are Station 19 everyone else from other stations are just idiots and why didn't one of the other fortified fire engines try to ram the garage. It would have been just as good as a SWAT brand, plus they could have gotten back to that stupid hydroponic door. So interesting that water heater knocked that corner of the garage enough to get it open enough that people could get in and out. Plus for the Captain, umm... get out of the damn garage, then hug. You are killing yourself just by being in there too and shouting: "Turn the gas off" was stupid too. Duh. 

Actually, that was the wife's car (I assume it was her car, as the husband seemingly was never allowed to be in the garage LOL).  You can see the police car parked outside with the fire engines.  Regardless, it was a ridiculous idea.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Snickerdoodle said:

As that one guy kept telling the other that nothing would break that glass, I was actually thinking, "Why don't they google a way to get through the glass?"  They had all those people standing around outside DOING NOTHING.  They all looked like they gave up.  Surely someone could have figured out how to do some google-fu on that?

Plus, if you can smash the walls you can smash around it to get the window to completely fall out too. Most of the firefighter extras were just looking at the garage going: "Umm... I think I have to fart now." 

• Love 3

Kinda cool that Hughes covered for Miller (after all, as she said, he and the others had covered for her during her "fire scare").  Also, the fact that Miller did not take JJ's call at the end may not bode well for that relationship (too bad, as I like Brenda Song, but if so, maybe she'll get another role on one of Shonda's 3,472 shows)  :D

• Love 1

I've concluded this is my hate watching show. Andy kinda sucks. The only person worth rooting for is Montgomery. I think he should be captain. Even Warren annoys me here.

• Love 3
(edited)

I like the characters and actors on this show, but damn (and I mean the f' word), the writing is letting them down. Firefighters trapped in a safe garage? WTF, were the writers thinking? It made them look like incompetent fools!

I like Andy and Ryan so I hope she doesn't let Jack's jealousy break them up.

I like that the gay couple are getting serious and don't want Miller to dump his girlfriend who I really like.

The show has been renewed. I can only hope the writing in the second season is better.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

The writing is cringe worthy. I want to like the show because I like most of the actors and characters but most of the episodes have been crap. What will they do when the captain competition is over? I like Brenda Song and Marla Gibbs so I hope they recur. 

• Love 1
(edited)

So they're sitting against the garage door with breaching tools. Nobody thought of using the Halligan on the hinges? Hello, McFly.  Oh, wait. Nobody had an axe or a sledge. Maybe they should have called in 81 Truck with their Slamigan™! That would have saved the day! 

What the f@#$ kind of "glass" was that window made of? In the real world AGP makes window film to thwart burglary. It will delay entry by turning ordinary glass into something like windshield glass but that's easily defeatable with breaching tools—just like a windshield.Those are some pretty high-end home mods, and not the sort of things that the Mrs. Grace L. Ferguson Airline and Storm Door Company would install. As such, their techs and management would know they'd be on the hook for million in liability if they failed to follow code and allowed shit like that to exist without means of egress. 

There's water supply going to the heater. Cold water in, hot water out. Take the cold water line off and keep yourselves cool.

So let's say that such a firetrap DID exist (obviously more robust than shown, considering cheap TV show budgets, etc). Why is that still a 1 and 1 call—one engine & truck? Get in a couple of heavy rescues and the building collapse unit.

And MAYBE if it's 112° in there you could, oh, I don't know, TURN OFF ALL THOSE F@#$ING SERVERS?!?

And when I saw the water heater, I was also thinking of jury-rigging it, but not the way they did. Of course, they'd all be quite dead if they tried it. And where did all the 50 gallons of scalding hot water go? And since it was a gas water heater, where was it venting to? It has to vent or it would poison the garage with CO. Where it vents, that's where you breach.

Oh, and really...wrong radio channel? SFD is on an 800 MHz Motorola SmartZone trunked radio system. Every channel programmed into their HTs is a trunked talkgroup. Come up on the wrong one and someone will hear it. "Unit calling, you're on <channel-name>. Switch to channel 3." Older VHF/UHF simplex systems, yeah, that could be a real possibility, but not in any major city, not in 2018.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 4

This episode was infuriating!

No way Miller should have gotten away with his 2 fu*k ups (suspension is in order)! 

The wife and husband should expect a major fine (her buying drinks won't cut it).

Is Montgomery allowed to give orders to the other captain (the guy with the red hat)? Seems he should be in charge while the other two were out of the picture or Ripley or Frankel should have been called to the scene.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:31 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

... There's water supply going to the heater. Cold water in, hot water out. Take the cold water line off and keep yourselves cool.  ...

That's a good one I hadn't thought of.

I'm laughing at all the outrage in this thread--as much fun as the show.  I agree it was stupid to have the crew trapped in the super-fortified garage, but I'm thinking people who have "cooked to death" is a situation that firefighters run into.

I was rooting for an-DRAY-ah to melt into a pool of goo after the third time she looked all artificially modest that she'd be just fiiiiiiine if she didn't get the Captain job, wink wink.  Satisfying to see that smug expression finally fall off her face at the end.   Parental betrayal is always a bitter pill to swallow.

But Miguel Sandoval's masterplan to keep the unit strong and intact by giving them a common enemy to supervise them?  Pfft.  If this were real, you'd have to assume he just wanted the whole place to fall apart without his leadership and the hell with anyone in there, including his daughter.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, candall said:

That's a good one I hadn't thought of.

I'm laughing at all the outrage in this thread--as much fun as the show.  I agree it was stupid to have the crew trapped in the super-fortified garage, but I'm thinking people who have "cooked to death" is a situation that firefighters run into.

It is a real thing, but usually it's a firefighter getting caught in an encased room where crews can't get to them in any shape or form. They don't get burned, but those rooms become like ovens and people are "cooked" to death. Even the movie Ladder 19 with John Travolta, the main character died not because he was burned in the main factory fire as his story is told but because they couldn't get to him. He is cooked to death in an aluminum room by the end of the movie. There were so many ways to get that garage destroyed or they could have even opened the room since the FIRE was OUT. Yet, wrote this house being a super fort that even when they explained the divorcing couples careers. They basically put over 1.5 million in turning the house into a super house, when they had no reason to do that because the wife was apparently super paranoid about everything. 

• Love 1
On 5/12/2018 at 2:51 PM, mxc90 said:

Is Montgomery allowed to give orders to the other captain (the guy with the red hat)? Seems he should be in charge while the other two were out of the picture or Ripley or Frankel should have been called to the scene.

Command will always be in a white helmet. They give the orders. Where there are multiple white helmets, the highest rank rules the fireground overall, others with different responsibilities. Red is typically an officer in charge of a specific piece of apparatus—a ladder, truck, squad; either a captain or LT and he/she implements the orders given by the white helmets. Black or yellow helmets for the working firefighters, and blue (in some departments) for safety officers. Some departments use yellow for trainees. If there's no chief on the scene, then the ranking officer (red helmet) gives the orders until a chief arrives.

• Love 2

Unless homeowner lady did something, both the house and garage could have easily been entered by smashing through the roofs.  Shingles and boards are pretty easy to breach.

• Love 2