Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Day 464

• Start Topic

bbfff the Trump stuff is starting to really put me off and I think one of the reasons why is because there won't be any revelations or surprises as the show is always lagging behind reality. The thing with the goats was just ridicculous.

I love the Colin/Lucca dynamic but for me, the solution to Colin's racist issues was a little to easy, what a lucky coincidence. Good for the Jay's friend though.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 3

It's like the anti-Roseanne, with cheap shots on both shows.  As much as I agree with Diane in that I don't think I can take three more years of this, I think it's time for both shows to give it a rest.

I did like the solution to the tape though "Open October 2020."

• Love 2

The goat thing was very prescient! The White House sowed mass confusion today by issuing a statement saying Iran has a nuclear program.  They later corrected it to "had." Goat/goal, has/had--the last letter of a word is important!

• Love 7

A bit much, even for my taste. I don't mind that the show is set in Trump's America and makes frequent reference to that, but I don't need him to be an actual character in a storyline. Every opportunity to have Character Actress Margo Martindale on my screen is welcome though.

Fisher Stevens was a great deal of fun, but the entire Maia/Luca side of the episode seemed wildly unethical (to put it mildly - "illegal" is probably more accurate) to me and I hope it doesn't develop into any sort of career-threatening storyline for either of them. I would have a lot of trouble getting invested in an arc where either of them risks disbarment over helping "random friend of Jay who we just learned about".

I was still entertained but I consider this a weak point of the season.

• Love 5

I don't like that they made Jane Lynch into an unrepentant villain who will do villainy things just to be villainous.

I liked her when she gave Maya a hard time to get to her father. That's her job and she is good at it. But protecting Trump? Last I checked the FBI was building a case against him. That means she is personlly corrupt. Boooooo.

9 hours ago, CrashTextDummie said:

Character Actress Margo Martindale

*Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale

• Love 2

Did anyone else wonder if Margot Martindale might be an agent of Trump and/or Russia (she did insist on secrecy) and is only there to get say, "See, it's an orchestrated smear campaign by the Democrats!" if they come out with any allegations?

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, Aulty said:

the Trump stuff is starting to really put me off and I think one of the reasons why is because there won't be any revelations or surprises as the show is always lagging behind reality.

I somehow doubt that in the (highly unlikely, IMO) Impeachment proceedings on the Trump Presidency any of the legal parties will be from Riddick Boseman & Lockhart! But the fact that they'll always be behind real events does make it either implausible or way behind real life.

Can they give this "Diane is a druggie" plot a rest? Maybe it's going to develop into a full blown addiction plot (which I'd hate) or it's going to go into "Drugs should be decriminalised!" (which might be interesting, if well done) or even "Why are some [rich white people] drugs a misdemenor when some [poor black people] drugs penalised heavily?" But watching Diane break into fits of giggles is just not interesting!

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:22 PM, CrashTextDummie said:

the entire Maia/Luca side of the episode seemed wildly unethical (to put it mildly - "illegal" is probably more accurate) to me

Probably a breach of the legal ethical code (leading to disbarment) rather than outright illegal, I would think, but I'm not a lawyer. Couldn't they have had Jay passing the notes while they listened in over the phone?

• Love 1
On 11/05/2018 at 5:26 PM, John Potts said:

Did anyone else wonder if Margot Martindale might be an agent of Trump and/or Russia (she did insist on secrecy) and is only there to get say, "See, it's an orchestrated smear campaign by the Democrats!" if they come out with any allegations?

Nah, Margo's character has always been a democrat. She was the campaign manager for Peter in The Good Wife.

(I love The Americans where Margo plays a KGB agent, and sometimes I imagine that she stayed after the cold war ended and became her TGW/TGF character)

• Love 2
On 2018-04-30 at 8:45 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Fisher Stevens was hilarious!

But...didn't he used to be fairly attractive? I kept getting distracted, thinking that he had morphed from a leading man type to a sad sack. Although, yes, amusing.

On 2018-05-01 at 10:34 PM, Miles said:

I don't like that they made Jane Lynch into an unrepentant villain who will do villainy things just to be villainous.

I liked her when she gave Maya a hard time to get to her father. That's her job and she is good at it. But protecting Trump? Last I checked the FBI was building a case against him. That means she is personlly corrupt. Boooooo.

*Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale

I agree, thought it didn't make sense. But I did love the comic beats with the birds flying into her windows. She does quiet moments of insanity wonderfully. I very much like MM too, although I am always puzzled about when I last saw her. She's either in so many shows that I like or she is the spitting image of another actress.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, PreBabylonia said:

But...didn't he used to be fairly attractive? I kept getting distracted, thinking that he had morphed from a leading man type to a sad sack. Although, yes, amusing.

No, Fisher Stevens was always rather odd looking with a head too big for his skinny little body. He played Kyle Chandler's weird little sidekick in Early Edition. Maybe you're thinking of Parker Stevenson. He was a handsome leading man type back in the day.

No, that wasn't it. I agree Parker Stevenson was good looking before he lost all his hair. I figured out what it was. He was coupled with Michelle Pfieffer for three years, until he was caught (or allegedly caught) cheating on her with a 17-year-old girl. I can't believe I remembered all that gossip from so long ago! Michelle was absolutely gorgeous back in the day, so it was a shocker. Over time, I think I built it up that he was her equal, but clearly, Michelle was far out of his class. 

Not that I usually judge somebody based strictly on their looks....just in this forum! He was quite funny, although in reality, I think they should have chosen someone a little bit more mentally gifted. Perhaps somebody looking to kickstart their career, and willing to take a few shortcuts. Without wanting to blackmail them afterwards....

• Love 1

It was not Parker Stevenson who was accused of being with a 17 year old girl. He was married to Kirstie Alley for about 13 years and they both said they broke up because they grew apart.

Fisher Stevens dated Michelle Pffeifer for 3 years. She left him because he became involved with a 17 year old girl. He and the girl claimed it never went beyond kissing. 

On 5/15/2018 at 8:11 PM, PreBabylonia said:

But...didn't he [Fisher Stevens] used to be fairly attractive? I kept getting distracted, thinking that he had morphed from a leading man type to a sad sack. Although, yes, amusing.

On 5/15/2018 at 8:43 PM, orza said:

No, Fisher Stevens was always rather odd looking with a head too big for his skinny little body. He played Kyle Chandler's weird little sidekick in Early Edition

Are you thinking of Shadoe Stevens?  He was pretty good looking back in his American Top 40 and Hollywood Squares days (though now he's showing all of his 72 years), and I for one always get him and Fisher Stevens mixed up.

(edited)
On 4/29/2018 at 9:06 AM, Aulty said:

bbfff the Trump stuff is starting to really put me off and I think one of the reasons why is because there won't be any revelations or surprises as the show is always lagging behind reality. The thing with the goats was just ridicculous.

Ha.  Imagine how dated  it feels three years later.  But I'm kind of glad I didn't get this season until 2021.  I still think this show works better away from the expressly political stuff and even away from the ripped from the headlines stuff but at least it's not as close to real events as it was when this first aired. 

Edited by Irlandesa