Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E04: Orlando Bloom, Stephen Merchant, SuRie

• Start Topic

Among the guests on Graham's sofa are Pirates and Lord of the Rings star Orlando Bloom, who is on the West End stage in Killer Joe and comedian Stephen Merchant who is voicing new animation Sherlock Gnomes. Plus music from SuRie, performing the UK's Eurovision entry Storm.

SO WHAT IS STEPHEN'S THEORY ABOUT LORD OF THE RINGS??!!!

The couch was generally delightful, despite Orlando's lame-matude (Stephen: "I just hit her with my car." Orlando: "COS SHE WAS BRUNETTE!!" Yes, Orlando, jokes are funnier when you explain them. Plus the tired-if-not-outright-homophobic joke about soap dropping). So, "couch" meaning Stephen Merchant and National Treasure Tamsin Greig. Tamsin's story just seemed to confirm that Bono has a god complex and probably no sense of boundaries, but perhaps I'm just uncharitable about him. The first stretch was not quite as classic as the first time a fly interrupted proceedings, but it was still a hoot. Is the Graham Norton studio just a huge turd, attracting flies?!

And the gnome looked a little more like Ray Wise.

5ae494919e89f_GrahamGnome.jpg.fc5b211c6ee738bc8e52102b0558d076.jpgRay_Wise.jpg.322648cd025448dac91a1cea40b5cc66.jpg

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 1
On 4/28/2018 at 12:12 AM, Corgi-ears said:

SO WHAT IS STEPHEN'S THEORY ABOUT LORD OF THE RINGS??!!!

That was so frustrating. I really wanted to hear it. However, I think Graham was right to just stop asking about the story because it was derailed so many times.

The couch was generally delightful, despite Orlando's lame-matude (Stephen: "I just hit her with my car." Orlando: "COS SHE WAS BRUNETTE!!" Yes, Orlando, jokes are funnier when you explain them

Completely agree. I thought he wasn't all bad, but there were a few times I just wanted him to shut it.

.... National Treasure Tamsin Greig. Tamsin's story just seemed to confirm that Bono has a god complex and probably no sense of boundaries, but perhaps I'm just uncharitable about him.

I don't think I've seen her in anything -- except Shaun of the Dead, but I don't remember her much -- but her show, Friday Night Dinner looks fantastic. I wonder if it's available on Amazon or Netflix. And about Bono, I had the same reaction as you. I wasn't charmed by the story, thought he was showing off his ego, and shouldn't assume every woman is ok with having her pregnant belly kissed, though Tamsin seemed to like it.

The first stretch was not quite as classic as the first time a fly interrupted proceedings, but it was still a hoot. Is the Graham Norton studio just a huge turd, attracting flies?!

HA! I did like that the fly looked drunk. Yay on the cameraman for getting that close-up.

And the gnome looked a little more like Ray Wise.

5ae494919e89f_GrahamGnome.jpg.fc5b211c6ee738bc8e52102b0558d076.jpgRay_Wise.jpg.322648cd025448dac91a1cea40b5cc66.jpg

I still think Clive Anderson is closer.

CHARTER-PROFILE_CliveAnderson.png

BTW, there was an incident at Eurovision where someone rushed at SuRie and grabbed her mic.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

HA! I did like that the fly looked drunk. Yay on the cameraman for getting that close-up.

Lol. Give that cameraman a raise. The fly was wobbling around, equal parts drunk/traumatized, and probably thinking WTF was that?! Poor thing. But funny.

• Love 3

It's not a theory about Lord of the Rings, it's his opinion (from 2011):

Merchant: 'I don't get Lord Of The Rings'

I thought this was a funny episode. The guests had good chemistry and were obviously comfortable with each other, and their stories were humorous  (although I got a little grossed out by the vomiting ones).

My UO for this show is I really don't like the red chair segment. I find it very uncomfortable to watch people embarrass themselves. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, attica said:

God, I wish some US network would air Eurovision. 

This is two days late and a dollar short but the Logo Network has run it live in the past few years, including last Saturday. If your cable company has that network on demand you can watch it now, or watch it on their website. That said, I would love for BBC America to run the BBC's coverage (hosted by Graham) even if that means preempting a Star Trek Next Gen marathon. 

Eurovision is one of my favorite tv events. It is over-the-top and fun. If you Google SuRie's performance you will see it was interrupted by a protester (not sure what exactly he was protesting, he said something about Nazis.) 

• Love 1

love tamsin grieg. last saw her in episodes. didn't think i would like it because of matt, but he proved to be pretty good.

i live in the horrible boonies and can not get unlimited internet so as to watch things online..no....i am wallowing in despair that i can't see more british tv. the one channel we have , bbc, stinks! marathons of shows i don't want to see. lots of unbritish junk. really, graham is the best thing on it. i think i have to sign up for old fashioned mail order netflix! 

orlando bloom was insufferable. 

(edited)

I wasn't paying a lot of attention whenever Orlando Bloom was talking, but there were a couple of times that from the corner of my eye I thought he was Johnny Depp.  And not original version hot Johnny Depp.  

I love Stephen Merchant.  His story about his cheap dad and the camera was pretty funny.

Edited by TexasGal