Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Artificial Emotional Intelligence

• Start Topic

Richard decides to help when Laurie gets in a jam, but his lack of emotional discipline threatens to backfire on Pied Piper. Gavin tries to make a deal with a stubborn partner while abroad. Dinesh relishes a rare win. Jared bonds with a surprising figure.

8 minutes ago, Accidental Martyr said:

“Richard, it is important to develop emotional self-discipline for situations like this. Sometimes you have to numb yourself. If you want to work the corner you can’t fall in love every time you turn a trick. That’s why you do the Oxy.”

I know this is a comedy, but after Jared's comment last week about pulling down his pants for the john, and now this week about turning tricks, I feel terrible for him. I hope he's just a guy who people from different walks of life open up to and he uses their experiences to give advice, not that he's experienced everything he talks about first-hand.

On a positive note, I thought this was a decent episode. The credits said Matt Ross directed it, so good job, Matt Ross! Loved the "New China" factory with the smoothie bar and daycare kids choir. I was surprised that Jian Yang and his team figured out how to build the "new internet" differently from Richard's approach. I never got the impression that Jian Yang is that bright. Now that a bigger Chinese company owns Jian Yang's tech, Pied Piper has a real competitor on their hands. Things are finally getting interesting.

• Love 2

I'm so, so sad for Jared --  He has had a bit of trouble connecting emotionally, and of course it would be Fiona to whom (which?) he would open up.  

And  speaking of Fiona, amazing animation of that face --  Whew!  

• Love 3

If a Party member owns Jiang's patent-skirting version of Richard's new decentralized internet, then it really belongs to the Party, to be used to more effectively realize the New China dream through absolute control of both the old and new internets and even more comprehensive monitoring, classification, and ranking of all citizen behaviors and swifter punishment of those who deviate from Party-friendly conduct. Sounds truly dystopian. It won't be long before the NSA comes knocking on Richard's door, demanding his version of the new internet to ensure no internet gap occurs.

Ironic that Laurie murdered Fiona, an AI robot who possessed more humanity than she herself ever will.

• Love 6

I will never get tired of seeing Gavin Belson getting screwed over.

And we get an ever so brief appearance by Bighead.

Didn't care for the Dinesh/Guilfoyle stuff

Liked that Jared finally found a soulmate -- who was unfortunately disassembled before his eyes.  I somehow think that Fiona will find a way back to him.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Same here. It just makes it that much better that the guy who screwed him over this time was yet another person who Gavin tried to bully and boss around. Loved that Jian Yang knew who he was and that he was up to something. That $50K offer was an insult! I hope he got way more money from the Chinese company that ended up buying it.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Liked that Jared finally found a soulmate -- who was unfortunately disassembled before his eyes.  I somehow think that Fiona will find a way back to him.

I agree with everything you said. It seems I was wrong thinking that big head will be only in one episode - he is also in the promo for the next one.

There was certainly more to the scenes in China than Gavin being screwed, which was hilarious - well done Mr. factory boss whos name I don't remember. (Was the actor who played im Tzi Ma? One of 24's biggest villains?) Suggesting that Western companies supress improvement in working conditions in cheap labor countries ... there is some truth to that.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The only good thing about the Dinesh/Gilfoyle thing was getting called out on how stupid their rivalry is at this point. We get it, you hate each other...now shut up.  Also, Dinesh is now basically the butt monkey of the show and on this show that is saying something.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Same here. It just makes it that much better that the guy who screwed him over this time was yet another person who Gavin tried to bully and boss around.

Don't forget, though, that Gavin got the better of Jack Barker in the end. I wouldn't put it past Gavin to now ally with the real Pied Piper, just to get vengeance on the Chinese. And per the preview, 

Spoiler

PP is looking for alternative investment next week, so that door may be open.

• Love 2

As bad as I felt for Jared, I laughed so hard at Fiona getting brutally dismantled in front of him and Richard.  And I had been really concerned for Fiona at the beginning of the episode too, when they said that her creeper creator ran off with her but that scene was just too funny!  Between that and the China stuff, this was definitely my favorite episode of the season so far.

• Love 2

Poor Jared and Fiona! Truly a star crossed love affair. 

I love watching Gavin get screwed over. Him wanting the Chinese manager to make his factory crappy again just to get his product out faster was so shitty, that watching his smug face fall when he realized the guy had royally screwed him over. To the sounds of singing children. 

Ironic that robot Fiona seemed more emotional than human Laurie. 

• Love 1