Type keyword(s) to search

S26: Arike Ogunbowale: Scoring on the Court and the Dance Floor

• Start Topic

Arike Ogunbowale is a junior at Notre Dame and member of the women's basketball team, who recently won the 2018 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Tournament. She was also named the tournament's Most Valuable Player this year. She is a five-time USA Basketball medalist with four gold and one silver. Now she's embarking on a new adventure with pro partner Gleb Savchenko on Dancing with the Stars!

• Love 2

I'm happy there is a way to keep Arike's NCAA eligibility.  I hope everything works out so she can play next year and earn her degree.  Feels like she may open the floodgates for other college athletes if she is able to make it through the season with her eligibility in tact.   I thought she was a last minute addition when she didn't have a promotional picture with Gleb. 

Edited by birkenstock
  • Love 1
On 4/13/2018 at 7:24 PM, birkenstock said:

I'm happy there is a way to keep Arike's NCAA eligibility.  I hope everything works out so she can play next year and earn her degree.  Feels like she may open the floodgates for other college athletes if she is able to make it through the season with her eligibility in tact.   I thought she was a last minute addition when she didn't have a promotional picture with Gleb. 

According to the USAToday article linked above, she is getting guidance from the NCAA membership committee specifically for her participation in DWTS.  So long as she sticks with their advice, she should be okay - it'll be that discipline that might open the floodgates to other college athletes.

Edited by Uke

DWTS and Notre Dame have to abide by the NCAA rules as well. I'm wondering if she could lose her eligibility if a person running one of Notre Dame's social media accounts gets excited and impulsively does a shout out? She's putting a lot of trust in others that they follow the rules as well.

Assuming good health, the returning ND team is the favorite (Yup, even over mighty UConn) to win the championship next season.  I am shocked that UND decided to risk Arike's status, and even a future championship being vacated, for this stunt participation.

And she has Gleb?  What is the point?!  Maybe all concerned recognize she will be launched in a very short timeframe which would reduce the chances of amatuerism violations.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/515998002?__twitter_impression=true

The NCAA’s rules are from a bygone era, when college athletics were truly amateur sports. But they’re a multi-billion dollar industry now. The NCAA, conferences, schools, coaches – they’re all getting rich off of “amateur athletics” while the students responsible for generating all that money get only a scholarship in return.

That’s not to say a scholarship is worthless. Far from it. For some athletes, it’s the only way they can afford to go to college. But it’s long past time to stop pretending that athletes don’t deserve to reap the financial benefits of the many, many, many millions they’re bringing in.

☝? Agree with this take. I hope it “opens the floodgates,” the college system is badly in need of reform, and raking in too much money to continue to argue with a straight face that it’s players can’t share in it in some way.

I don't see anything wrong with college athletes making money. But if the the NCAA can't shill for her and she can't promote herself, what is the point? She's going to be the first out if no one knows she is participating.

• Love 3
On 4/15/2018 at 12:13 PM, birkenstock said:

DWTS and Notre Dame have to abide by the NCAA rules as well. I'm wondering if she could lose her eligibility if a person running one of Notre Dame's social media accounts gets excited and impulsively does a shout out? She's putting a lot of trust in others that they follow the rules as well.

They can penalize her for the actions of others that she has no control of and by people she probably doesn't even know??? That doesn't sound fair.  Maybe she just needs a good sports attorney.  Telling ND's social media people that they can't talk about her gets in the way of freedom of speech, I'd think.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Uke said:

They can penalize her for the actions of others that she has no control of and by people she probably doesn't even know??? That doesn't sound fair.  Maybe she just needs a good sports attorney.  Telling ND's social media people that they can't talk about her gets in the way of freedom of speech, I'd think.

Notre Dame can only state she's on DTWS. She is at risk if the athletic department's official twitter account or another ND account posts its support and asks followers to vote for her or some similar messaging.  I don't know how much leeway will be given if someone accidentally posts thinking they're on their personal account.

I'm chicken littling worst case scenarios, but there are several entities that have to follow the strict rules and the NCAA can be mighty petty.

On 4/17/2018 at 12:45 AM, Uke said:

They pre-approved this appearance with the NCAA, so there will be no trouble later. All university employees and students got an e-mail, stating that they are NOT allowed to promote the vote on their social media accounts. They can only tell her "good luck."  They can post a video of her dance, but DO NOT say, "VOTE for....you know who," because that would be what a booster does. LOL.

But go ahead and post the video of her dance and tell her good luck.  Okaaaaay.

9 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

They pre-approved this appearance with the NCAA, so there will be no trouble later. All university employees and students got an e-mail, stating that they are NOT allowed to promote the vote on their social media accounts. They can only tell her "good luck."  They can post a video of her dance, but DO NOT say, "VOTE for....you know who," because that would be what a booster does. LOL.

But go ahead and post the video of her dance and tell her good luck.  Okaaaaay.

Wow! Why pre-approve her and then handicap her?  Surely they knew that progression required public voting.   The results make me think either there was an enormous whispering campaign for her or Johnny and Jamie REALLY tanked with the audience (or both).

• Love 2
(edited)

Why do women really 'have' to wear heels? When they want to overlook it, they do. I know I've seen some on DWTS in pretty shoes, but with LOW heels, if not even flat ones. Maybe it's been when the woman is injured or even just really tall?? or on the heavy side or old, like Cloris Leachman???  I'm NOT trying to compare Arike to her, but heels could be a problem for a host of physical reasons, especially to an athlete. I've taken ballroom lessons (and done some amateur comps) and there are plenty women in 1.5 or 2 inch heels, maybe even flats, though I haven't paid that much attention. Obviously, contemporary/modern dance doesn't require shoes at all! I just don't get why they 'must' wear heels - seems sexist and unfair to me.

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1

High heels elongate the legs and just make people appear more elegant. Sneakers look terrible, no matter how pretty someone is. It might be sexist, but just saying...

• Love 1

I understand why the Notre Dame admin, Athletic Department and other employees can’t “campaigns for Arike, but it seems odd that her fellow students, most of whom don’t know her, can’t push for her to get votes.  What about female athletes, past & present, at other universities?  Can they push for “Arike from ND”?   

• Love 1
8 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

High heels elongate the legs and just make people appear more elegant. Sneakers look terrible, no matter how pretty someone is. It might be sexist, but just saying...

Not to mention, even male dance shoes have a heel. Not a tall one, but a heel nonetheless.

• Love 1
On 5/2/2018 at 7:02 AM, Morrigan said:

Why do women really 'have' to wear heels? When they want to overlook it, they do. I know I've seen some on DWTS in pretty shoes, but with LOW heels, if not even flat ones. Maybe it's been when the woman is injured or even just really tall?? or on the heavy side or old, like Cloris Leachman???  I'm NOT trying to compare Arike to her, but heels could be a problem for a host of physical reasons, especially to an athlete. I've taken ballroom lessons (and done some amateur comps) and there are plenty women in 1.5 or 2 inch heels, maybe even flats, though I haven't paid that much attention. Obviously, contemporary/modern dance doesn't require shoes at all! I just don't get why they 'must' wear heels - seems sexist and unfair to me.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:36 AM, boyznkatz said:

I'm not a dancer but from all I've read (and 21 seasons watching this show), aside from appearance, heels, dancer or not, change the way you hold your body.  Your pelvis is pitched forward and your back tilts backward aiding a more correct dance posture and technique.  Also I understand the dance heels are split on the sole making it easier to stay up on your toes.  When we see women in sneakers (or boots), that footwear doesn't have the same bendability (is that a word?) as proper dance heeled shoes.  I don't think the height of the heel is important as is the construction of the shoe.  Also I don't think the "flats" are completely flat but have a very short heel, possibly as little as 1/2".   Maybe an experienced dancer could jump in here for a better explanation.

Hopefully the sneakers Arike was wearing weren't just bedazzled standard sneakers/tennis shoes.  Dance shoes have a suede bottom so they don't grip the floor while not being too slippery.  Rubber soled sneakers would put her knees and ankles at real risk.

• Love 1