Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Payback

Jaded
  • Start Topic

37 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I don’t remember Ray. What season was his story and what happened?

The actor's name is Demetrius Grosse. IMDb only shows him in this episode. So this is a new character/story. 

I can't remember what's going on with 'Ruben'... why did  Voight plant drugs in his car?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, HollyG said:

The actor's name is Demetrius Grosse. IMDb only shows him in this episode. So this is a new character/story. 

I can't remember what's going on with 'Ruben'... why did  Voight plant drugs in his car?

Rueben is the guy that Woods has as a witness to Al moving the body, I guess they are trying to discredit him or stitch him up so he can't testify or is an 'unreliable' witness.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Guildford said:

Rueben is the guy that Woods has as a witness to Al moving the body, I guess they are trying to discredit him or stitch him up so he can't testify or is an 'unreliable' witness.

Thank you. 

That was a really good CI that Ruzek had, LOL. I suppose there is always a risk with CIs and whether they are reliable or not, especially given that they're getting paid for information, but it seemed to me that Ruzek should have caught on earlier to the fact that something was amiss.

So Voight is going to screw up the life of a witness to try and get Olinsky off. The whole thing stemming from a murder that Voight committed. And will the show really let them get away with their thickening plot of deception and then just go on as if nothing had happened? I liked Trudy's reaction when Voight told her he couldn't share anything with her.

• Love 3

I think it was Olinsky that planted the drugs as it seemed like for once Voight had a conscience and thought of someone other than himself and wouldn’t plant the drugs. It’s inexcusable that Olinsky did that and how disgusting that one of the shows so called “heroes” will ruin someone’s life for just trying to do the right thing. How anyone can root for Voight and Olinsky is beyond me, they both need to go, I’m rooting for Woods to send them to prison, as should anyone IMO. 

Voight and Olinsky have become so downright disgusting that it’s impossible to enjoy the show. Atwater and Antonio are still cool though, I could watch them anytime. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I think it was Olinsky that planted the drugs as it seemed like for once Voight had a conscience and thought of someone other than himself and wouldn’t plant the drugs. It’s inexcusable that Olinsky did that and how disgusting that one of the shows so called “heroes” will ruin someone’s life for just trying to do the right thing. How anyone can root for Voight and Olinsky is beyond me, they both need to go, I’m rooting for Woods to send them to prison, as should anyone IMO. 

Voight and Olinsky have become so downright disgusting that it’s impossible to enjoy the show. Atwater and Antonio are still cool though, I could watch them anytime. 

Why is Olinsky even still part of the show? He does nothing in the day to day stuff.

ETA: and whatever happened to Ruzek's problem with Bubba Gump??

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

I think it was Voight who planted the drugs and made the anonymous tip to Narcotics. He knew about the information way to quickly. He was more than willing to share the information with Al at the bar during which time Al offered no indication that he knew what had occurred with the witness. Olinsky wanted to talk to the guy from the opening scene and Voight kept reassuring him that he would take care of things. I think Olinsky was at the house in to try and talk to the guy. Voight and Olinksy have always been solid and Al is certainly not one to rat out another officer. He has always had Hank's bank on the show. I feel like he is starting to have his doubts about Voight though. Potentially sending an innocent man to prison might be the straw that breaks the camels back for him. I have feared for most of the season that Koteas is leaving the show. I am starting to wonder if both Koteas and Beghe are leaving the show or if it is ending. I have not seen where it has officially been renewed by NBC at this point and multiple rumors have swirled all season about onset misconduct from Beghe. For the longest time  I couldn't see the show continuing without Voight in the future. However, the writers have made Hank incredibly unlikeable to me in the past few episodes.  At this point I don't care if he goes, I do care if Olinsky does.  I have no problem with Hank killing the man who killed Justin. I'm a parent and I can't say that I would act any differently in the same situation. However, I wouldn't let innocent people take the fall for me. I would willingly admit to doing the deed and not attempt to cover it up.   That is the biggest issue I have with this whole story line.  Al, Erin, and the potential witness should never be looking at prison time. If Voight killed the man to avenge his son than he should be more than willing to take the hit for it.

• Love 4

Agreed, Voight needs to own up to his actions rather than let Olinsky destroy himself. Voight killing his son’s murderer is wrong but understandable, that’s one of the lesser problems I have with Voight. I dislike Voight because he’s a corrupt bully who abuses his power as a cop and tortures people, he’s a scumbag fascist who needs to be locked up. 

I have no idea what Al’s purpose is other than to serve as a plot device for Voight’s storyline. He has nothing to do with the investigations anymore, I’m wondering if he’s about to leave. I would rather Voight leave, he’s unredeemable now. Platt also has no role on the show anymore. 

This season has sucked, mainly because Eid is an atrocious showrunner, he was awful on L&O and SVU and he’s sank this show badly as well. Atwater and Antonio are the only characters I like anymore, Atwater’s screen time has been the only good thing about this season. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Agreed, Voight needs to own up to his actions rather than let Olinsky destroy himself. Voight killing his son’s murderer is wrong but understandable, that’s one of the lesser problems I have with Voight. I dislike Voight because he’s a corrupt bully who abuses his power as a cop and tortures people, he’s a scumbag fascist who needs to be locked up. 

I have no idea what Al’s purpose is other than to serve as a plot device for Voight’s storyline. He has nothing to do with the investigations anymore, I’m wondering if he’s about to leave. I would rather Voight leave, he’s unredeemable now. Platt also has no role on the show anymore. 

This season has sucked, mainly because Eid is an atrocious showrunner, he was awful on L&O and SVU and he’s sank this show badly as well. Atwater and Antonio are the only characters I like anymore, Atwater’s screen time has been the only good thing about this season. 

I agree completely. I have not enjoyed this season at all. Koteas and Amy Morton have been criminally under used. The major reason I worry that Koteas is going to leave the show. They seem to be focusing on the younger members of the unit this season in what I would guess is a play for ratings bumps.  IMO and everyone is entitled to disagree the season has been hurt because of it.  Story continuity has always been an issue with the series but a much bigger issue this past season. This current Olinksy/Voight/Bingham story line is a perfect example. Until recently was there any mention that Al helped move the body. I have a hard time buying that two veteran detectives would be stupid enough to dig a body up from the silos and bury it in a high traffic area in the city.  Quite frankly I can't see Al or Erin involving the other in such a crime from the start.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, preeya said:

Why is Olinsky even still part of the show? He does nothing in the day to day stuff.

ETA: and whatever happened to Ruzek's problem with Bubba Gump??

Ruzek's Bubba Gump problem was packed up in his sister's kit bag and shipped off with her to the dropped storyline bucket.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, kixfan said:

This current Olinksy/Voight/Bingham story line is a perfect example. Until recently was there any mention that Al helped move the body. I have a hard time buying that two veteran detectives would be stupid enough to dig a body up from the silos and bury it in a high traffic area in the city.  Quite frankly I can't see Al or Erin involving the other in such a crime from the start.

I have to wonder if Al Olinsky's involvement is a rewrite to this story precipitated by the departure of Sophia Bush's Erin Lindsey character. If she were still in the picture we might see Brooks' machinations focused on her and Olinsky might not even be involved.

• Love 4

If Voight was the one that planted the drugs, then why was Olinsky staking out Ruben's place?  He happened to be just sitting there that night just pondering what to do with Ruben when the cops conveniently showed up?  

So was it Olinsky that planted the drugs and then called in the anonymous tip, and Voight did honestly just hear of what happened so he wanted to tell Olinsky in the bar?

Whichever way it happened, it was obviously precipitated by Trudy informing Voight that Olinsky's pension got flagged.  So both Voight ad Olinsky knew that IA had some real evidence to move forward.

I'm one of the few Upton supporters on this low traffic series thread, but I still like her.  I think the actress Tracy Spiradakos is pregnant.  The last several episodes she's wearing loose fitting clothing.  This episode she was wearing a denim shirt buttoned all the way up and it just looked really puffy.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, greyhorse said:

If Voight was the one that planted the drugs, then why was Olinsky staking out Ruben's place?  He happened to be just sitting there that night just pondering what to do with Ruben when the cops conveniently showed up?  

So was it Olinsky that planted the drugs and then called in the anonymous tip, and Voight did honestly just hear of what happened so he wanted to tell Olinsky in the bar?

Whichever way it happened, it was obviously precipitated by Trudy informing Voight that Olinsky's pension got flagged.  So both Voight ad Olinsky knew that IA had some real evidence to move forward.

I'm one of the few Upton supporters on this low traffic series thread, but I still like her.  I think the actress Tracy Spiradakos is pregnant.  The last several episodes she's wearing loose fitting clothing.  This episode she was wearing a denim shirt buttoned all the way up and it just looked really puffy.

Olinsky wanted to speak with Ruben from the opening scene when Voight showed him the photo. He was the one who found Ruben's address. Voight said he would handle it. That Al needed to stay away from the witness. Yet, in the van Voight told Al that they would have to  find another way of dealing with things. Trudy asked Voight what was going on with Olinsky because she had looked at confidential information that revealed his pension had been flagged. There was no indication that Al knew his pension had indeed been flagged. Only Trudy and Voight knew at this point that it had been flagged.  The writers are inconsistent so you never know how this will play out. However, I can't see the Al of past setting up an innocent man. I don't think he would want to spend the rest of his life in prison but what does he have in his life at this point. Lexi is gone. Who knows what happened to the second daughter. As far as the audience knows he is separated or divorced from Meredith. I can see him protecting Erin and Voight but I can not see him sending a potentially innocent man to prison to do it. Who knows this will probably all play out to be some kind of secret undercover story to explain it all away if the show is renewed.  I do fear that Olinsky is not going to make it out of the season alive though.

I think Al is gone, he hasn’t been involved in the cases at all this season and he’s in a hole I can’t see him getting out of, and I do think he’s planted the drugs, and that’s inexcusable, ruining the life of an innocent man who’s trying to turn his life around, I think even most fans of this show think that’s inexcusable. Him and Voight both need to go down, and I think one of them will, I hope both do but I don’t see Al escaping this, I think he may commit suicide, does anyone else get that feeling? There’s no way viewers can root for him now, and no way he can escape DNA on the body. He’s toast. I just wish he would bring Voight down with him before he goes, let Antonio take over the squad and get the show back on track without dirty thugs. 

• Love 1

I do wonder about Al and the possibility of suicide as well. Have actually wondered about it since Lexi's death. He most certainly would be killed in prison if sent to jail. I know Meredith will make an appearance in the finale so it makes one wonder.  I don't see why he would frame a potentially innocent man if he were thinking of suicide. Koteas did not look well during the first part of the season. He looked much thinner than usual. There is also the possibility that he was off filming a movie during that time. I know they mentioned during a facebook chat that fans would be shook. I hope this all turns out to be an elaborate undercover operation to get to Woods.  Let's not forget that Woods is also a dirty cop. Voight and the unit called him on it last year leading to the current war with Voight. Who knows maybe Woods planted the drugs on Ruben in an attempt further implicate Voight for witness tampering. He has already proven in the past that he was more than willing to send an innocent man to jail. I hope they can figure out a way to redeem Voight and Olinsky because watching a unit of Dawson, Ruzek, Halstead, Upton, Atwater, and Burgess sounds as boring as watching paint dry.

• Love 1

Woods is slime as well but Voight is the bigger threat, Woods hasn’t killed anyone, Voight has. Voight is unredeemable IMO after all of his actions the past couple of seasons. 

I just don’t see Olinsky escaping this, I’m certain he planted the drugs on the witness and I don’t think most viewers can root for him if he did. Since he’s barely been on this season and doesn’t have scenes with anyone but Voight, I just have a feeling he’s gone, and I think it will be by suicide, I don’t see the show having him turn on Voight and I don’t think Al will go to prison, I think he will off himself at the end of the season and next year will start with everyone dealing with that. 

I hate how they’ve ruined him but I don’t see how they can redeem him now.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 1
On 4/12/2018 at 6:49 PM, Guildford said:

Ruzek's Bubba Gump problem was packed up in his sister's kit bag and shipped off with her to the dropped storyline bucket.

They suggested Bubba Gump wasn't sure if Hank had turned Ruzek back loyal to him, they threw in a "Don't ever call me, I'll call you if I want you again" bully scene

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Happywatcher said:

They suggested Bubba Gump wasn't sure if Hank had turned Ruzek back loyal to him, they threw in a "Don't ever call me, I'll call you if I want you again" bully scene

Wrapped up in a nice little bow. That scene was ridiculous btw, of course Bubba Gump was going to be suspicious they had Ruzek literally begging him to talk to him....if that didn't scream 'set-up' nothing will.

• Love 1
On 4/13/2018 at 5:51 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Woods is slime as well but Voight is the bigger threat, Woods hasn’t killed anyone, Voight has. Voight is unredeemable IMO after all of his actions the past couple of seasons. 

I just don’t see Olinsky escaping this, I’m certain he planted the drugs on the witness and I don’t think most viewers can root for him if he did. Since he’s barely been on this season and doesn’t have scenes with anyone but Voight, I just have a feeling he’s gone, and I think it will be by suicide, I don’t see the show having him turn on Voight and I don’t think Al will go to prison, I think he will off himself at the end of the season and next year will start with everyone dealing with that. 

I hate how they’ve ruined him but I don’t see how they can redeem him now.

I think that has been the point of this part of the Chicago franchise all along. What if there were a squad of hard wide ranging police led by a mostly corrupt guy, tackling the tough cases?

In a way, this show's center is Kim. Hank is teaching her how to be hard and powerful, Trudy is teaching her how to use the hardness and power the moral way.

Wasn't it Voight who followed the witness to his AA/NA meeting? I assumed Voight then planted the drugs (if anyone did--perhaps the witness really was using again), not Olinsky. Olinsky is just so vague anymore. He wasn't involved with the disappearance of Voight's son's killer but all of a sudden his pension is flagged? I hope he turns out to be trying to have Voight's back or something and that's why he's shadowing him. Both Olinsky and Platt are vastly underused lately, as are Dawson and Halsted.

Personally I think "dirty cop" and internal affairs plots are the laziest pieces of writing for this kind of show--like there's not enough real crime in Chicago to write stories about.

• Love 4
On 4/12/2018 at 3:00 PM, kixfan said:

Story continuity has always been an issue with the series but a much bigger issue this past season. This current Olinksy/Voight/Bingham story line is a perfect example. Until recently was there any mention that Al helped move the body. I have a hard time buying that two veteran detectives would be stupid enough to dig a body up from the silos and bury it in a high traffic area in the city.  Quite frankly I can't see Al or Erin involving the other in such a crime from the start.

Honestly, from the first moment that it was revealed Erin had moved the body, I felt sure that somebody else had had to help her (likely Jay). No matter how awesome and powerful Erin was supposed to be on this show, the fact remains that she's a 5'4" woman who supposedly moved a 5'11" man - solid dead weight, to boot  - by herself. Sorry, not likely.

As for whether Erin would have done it in the first place, I have mixed feelings. Of course, she didn't want to...we know she literally begged Voight not to kill the guy. But when he did anyways, she likely felt obligated to help protect him however she could...as she put it, she has long owed him and no longer does. We know that Erin has always felt indebted to Voight, which IMO if she were actually taken to trial would likely go into her defense.