Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: It's Not You, It's Me

(edited)

I just noticed that IMDB and Wikipedia both seem to indicate that this episode is the season two finale.  I'm disappointed... I was hoping there would be more episodes this season.

Hmm, I just saw this article and Deadline wrote that American Housewife has 24 episodes this season.  I hope they're right.

Edited by AnnaRose

I was kind of glad that Katie got called out on her 2 hour-per day, 5 days-per-week 2nd breakfast, when she does frequently complain about her busy she is.  And unless Doris is treating, 5 nice Westport breakfasts per week probably cost over $100.  I'm not saying that a stay-at-home-mom can't spend any time or money on herself, but given the Otto's circumstances and Katie's attitude, it does seem excessive.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I was kind of glad that Katie got called out on her 2 hour-per day, 5 days-per-week 2nd breakfast, when she does frequently complain about her busy she is. 

I didn't understand why Taylor was there and serving during the school day. I know that sometimes school programs have it such that you do school part day and work part day, but I can't imagine Westport having that type of program given that "no Westport teenagers have jobs,"  and even if they did Taylor wouldn't be in it so quickly.  Oddly I don't think Katie was trying to get Taylor fired.  Katie was right.  Taylor messed up the order and didn't want to correct it. That's what any other customer would have done. Taylor expecting her to just accept it was wrong. 

Mostly, though, I didn't like this episode.  Generally I like Katie but I didn't like how she treated Franklin (yes he is weird but someone has to love the weirdos - was that this show that taught us that?  No, I think it was The Middle).  Anna-Kat is no prize in the friend department either. It's good two weirdos found each other.   

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I didn't understand why Taylor was there and serving during the school day. I know that sometimes school programs have it such that you do school part day and work part day, but I can't imagine Westport having that type of program given that "no Westport teenagers have jobs,"  and even if they did Taylor wouldn't be in it so quickly.

Taylor had a line about how she doesn't have first period class this semester so she can work the breakfast shift, but the timing still doesn't work, because assuming HS starts around 7:15 or 7:30, Taylor would have to be at school by 8ish and it's unlikely that Anna-Kat gets dropped off before 8 (even though we saw Katie drop off all 3 kids at the same time in the episode where they had to crawl out of the window of Greg's car since the doors didn't work.)  It's far more likely that 2nd breakfast is approximately 8:30 to 10:30 or thereabout. 

• Love 4

Yeah, I didn't get the job thing either. Clearly it's still during the school year because part of the episode was spent dropping Ana-Kat off at school. 

Not that I'm anti-recycling or anything but I'd be interested in reading Oliver's paper about recycling being a scam because the resources spent on it outweigh any economic benefit. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I was kind of glad that Katie got called out on her 2 hour-per day, 5 days-per-week 2nd breakfast, when she does frequently complain about her busy she is. 

Reminds me of some of my friends who always act like they are so busy, but you never really see them DOING anything.

37 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Not that I'm anti-recycling or anything but I'd be interested in reading Oliver's paper about recycling being a scam because the resources spent on it outweigh any economic benefit. 

The only thing that would have made that storyline even better is if Oliver teamed up with the neighbor Spencer.  I could just picture the two of them "blowing the lid right off this thing!"

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

The only thing that would have made that storyline even better is if Oliver teamed up with the neighbor Spencer.  I could just picture the two of them "blowing the lid right off this thing!"

*Sigh*, if only they didn't kill Spencer off a couple of episodes ago, I might agree with you!

Speaking of that, now that they wrapped up the will reading and they didn't inherit anything, the whole thing was dropped.  I'm still hoping Spencer left them some money for a specific purpose, like Oliver's education.

4 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Oddly I don't think Katie was trying to get Taylor fired.  Katie was right.  Taylor messed up the order and didn't want to correct it. That's what any other customer would have done. Taylor expecting her to just accept it was wrong. 

I agree.  Katie is usually overly hard on her kids but this time I think she should have stuck to her guns about the muffin and the disrespect her daughter showed her when she complained about it.  But I do think she should have intervened with the manager to let him know she was her mother and that it was a private dispute and not job related so he might not have let her go.  Maybe he would have just told her to argue with her mother elsewhere!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3

Recycling is a science, with many trade-offs, with benefits in some areas and waste of resources in other areas. Not all natural resources are non-renewable; for most, the biggest factor is using them faster than nature can refresh the supply, trees and fresh water being prime examples (water is never used up -- it's still water). The one sure benefit of recycling is that it saves thousands of cubic acres of useless landfill.

Greg didn't do more than read the title of Oliver's paper before going off on him. He never did read any of Oliver's arguments -- assuming Oliver really had any arguments besides calling the whole industry a scam, over and over. Oh, right, this is entertainment. Far be it for the writers to do any actual research. Personally, I might have given that assignment to Daniel for his real homework.

Employers don't like family and other personal problems brought to the workplace. Part time teen employees are hardly in short supply. Taylor messed up the order, refused to correct it, and argued loudly with her mother, disrupting the other diners' meals. Strike three, yer out.

Love conquers all. True love endures. So does being birds of a feather. Hooray for Franklin and Anna-Kat.

• Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Recycling is a science, with many trade-offs, with benefits in some areas and waste of resources in other areas. Not all natural resources are non-renewable; for most, the biggest factor is using them faster than nature can refresh the supply, trees and fresh water being prime examples (water is never used up -- it's still water). The one sure benefit of recycling is that it saves thousands of cubic acres of useless landfill.

I was just coming here to post about this, particularly the bolded part.  Even if for some types of materials it's a wash in energy used to recycle the materials (or in rare cases more) recycling is still super important and necessary because we just don't have enough landfill space for our throw-away society.

Edited by AnnaRose
grammar
  • Love 5

I didn't like this episode for the most part.  Katie was awful to Anna-Kat and Franklin, and regardless of the veracity of Oliver's argument, Greg had no business trying to bribe his teacher to give him a lower grade.  The one part the show got right was Taylor being fired for refusing to correct Katie's order and making a scene, but then the show had to go and screw that up by having Katie apologize to her for "getting her fired" and letting her go to New York with her friends!  

Katie apologizing to Anna-Kat?  Absolutely.   Greg apologizing to Oliver?  Well-deserved.  Katie apologizing to Taylor?  Hell no.  Great lesson for Taylor there.  Instead of owning up to your mistakes and fixing them, expect everyone to ignore them, and when they don't, cause a big scene.

Edited by Nessie
  • Love 8

Katie did not get Taylor fired.Taylor got Taylor fired and Taylor would've been fired soon enough if her 'tude with people who aren't her mother when she messes up an order is "it's just another carb." She was doomed in that job anyway.

• Love 9

I agreed that what Katie and Greg did to Anna-Kat and Oliver was wrong.  They were way over the line with them.  But I have to disagree about Taylor.  She was rude to a customer and didn't fix the order.  Waitresses do mess up and it happens, but she should have fixed it.  I don't care if Katie is a customer, she shouldn't be rude to her mother.  Katie is a lot nicer than my mother who would chew me out for being rude to her.  Taylor was being lazy about not correcting that order.  And she has a bad attitude and should have been fired.  It could have been another customer that she was being rude to. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Katie did not get Taylor fired.Taylor got Taylor fired and Taylor would've been fired soon enough if her 'tude with people who aren't her mother when she messes up an order is "it's just another carb." She was doomed in that job anyway.

Exactly, there was no reason that Katie needed to apologize to Taylor and her going to New York was also stupid. Katie should have apologize to Anna-Kat and Greg should have told Oliver to read his entire paper to him. Plus, instead of Greg constantly going: "How dare you say something I care about and do on my free time is a scam. You better have some good reasons, and I don't mean Wiki references. Give me a good argument Oliver!" Instead it was: "Here, give him a bad grade, how dare he question his father." Another thing is that Oliver DID need to get his facts straight as someone said above about recycling. However, the way they made it come off was, Oliver wanted a good topic, screw the facts and have Greg come off looking like an asshole. Plus, just because the writers point out the plot holes in a story like everyone saying how Taylor couldn't be working the morning shift. Or how Oliver was just going with his own "personal opinions" on his paper. Doesn't mean the story will work, you just admit: "It's a bad story with lots of holes, and we have to fill in an episode or two because we killed off Spencer and we need to postpone the big reveal on his estate until the end of the season." 

• Love 4

This whole episode was off for me, for all the reason you've all already illuminated, but I'll add one more:  why did Oliver's science teacher assign a persuasive writing argument?  Greg walked into a classroom that was clearly a science lab to discuss the merits of Oliver's persuasive argument. Sure, you have written projects in a lot of classes, but a persuasive argument in a science lab is....just no.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, AnnMarie17 said:

This whole episode was off for me, for all the reason you've all already illuminated, but I'll add one more:  why did Oliver's science teacher assign a persuasive writing argument?  Greg walked into a classroom that was clearly a science lab to discuss the merits of Oliver's persuasive argument. Sure, you have written projects in a lot of classes, but a persuasive argument in a science lab is....just no.

Depends on the teacher, there are science teachers who want students to do that, but sadly, it was set up as an English assignment not science. When it was all said and done, I was waiting for the science teacher to say: "Yes, and then I poke holes in their arguments." 

• Love 2

I don't know if you were replying to my post @theatremouse, but I didn't mean to imply that I thought Katie got Taylor fired.  The complete opposite.  In my outrage at Taylor standing there with Anna-Kat and Oliver with that smug look on her face, demanding an apology along with them (and then not only receiving it, but a reward as well!), I lost my coherence.

In other words, I agree with you. :-)

• Love 3
20 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Taylor, in-show, I'm pretty sure said "mom got me fired", so I was mostly responding to that.

Which no, she didn't (like you said).  Thanks for the clarification.

(edited)
On 4/11/2018 at 10:16 PM, Nordly Beaumont said:

I loved when Anna Kat yelled at Taylor "If you need to change your name, you look like a Jennifer!" She's right!

As a Jennifer, I lol'd at this! Hubby did too. 

Franklin playing Twister was hilarious - "right foot on gray", "left foot on gray"

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3